The English Football League Lounge 2020/21

Comments

• Akinfenwaaaa
    4303 posts National Call-Up
    Rowett is doing a fantastic job, if only we could find a way to get rid of the typical Millwall type games where we lose to dross like Barnsley.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7692 posts League Winner
  • BristolMDF
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero
    Someone clearly never saw the Shed End

05shed2-jumbo.jpg
  • They Caged Non
    6371 posts Big Money Move

You do realise the sky doesn’t count as part of your stadium? By that logic I live in the best house in the world because tonight’s sunset was nicer than that.
  • AaronMFC
    1926 posts Play-Off Hero
    I remember when the best goal of any members teams decade was discussed, ashley fletcher today has went well up there for us only the great team goal can compete. Unbelievable result today genuinely feeling a bit optimistic for next season so many good young players in our team.
  • They Caged Non
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    I remember when the best goal of any members teams decade was discussed, ashley fletcher today has went well up there for us only the great team goal can compete. Unbelievable result today genuinely feeling a bit optimistic for next season so many good young players in our team.

Just need to keep em now mate:) hopefully they buy in to woodys revolution
  • BristolMDF
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero
    Highlight of the day yesterday was Diedhiou running 50 yards to the dugout after scoring, trying (and failing) to put a party hat on, and instead letting off a party popper which ended up going over the Luton staff.
  • james2060
    2996 posts National Call-Up
    We've been awful these past few games, our annual slump over Christmas has turned into a car crash this year. I reckon Maddison is off but we'll need a couple of signings in midfield regardless.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7692 posts League Winner
    Can't say I've seen much from L1/L2, but on the face of it this looks like a decent enough team.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7692 posts League Winner
    Must say, if you said around about this time last year when the Huddersfield thing had just happened that AK47 would get a contract extension...
  • They Caged Non
    BristolMDF wrote: »

Nice to see the Leeds wheels falling off is starting to make its yearly appearance:) going into new year top leading them into a false sense of security
  • wheelerdeeler
    7692 posts League Winner
    Didn't realise Derby were so close to the relegation zone. This is actually a bit of a relegation battle game.
  • BristolMDF
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero

Nice to see the Leeds wheels falling off is starting to make its yearly appearance:) going into new year top leading them into a false sense of security

Sadly this is the year they see it through I think
  • wheelerdeeler
    7692 posts League Winner
    edited December 2019
    If we could actually play well with any sort of consistency we could challenge them considering we're "only" 9 Points off and we've only played to our potential in a handful of games really. Especially with just how average (at best) the league is this season and the players we have available to us. Especially if we add another body or two in January (on top of Hector) and Harry Arter's resurrected to give us another Midfielder.

But I think we've proven beyond a doubt that we just can't under Parker, and I suspect we'll be proving it yet again against Reading on New Years Day.
  • They Caged Non

Sadly this is the year they see it through I think

Yeah I have to begrudgingly admit that I think they will go up.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7692 posts League Winner
    edited December 2019
    Have a lot of time for the fact that 42 of our 54 points this calendar year have been this season. And I'm pretty sure 9 of the 12 we got in the Prem were after we got relegated.
    Post edited by wheelerdeeler on
  • BristolMDF
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero
    If we could actually play well with any sort of consistency we could challenge them considering we're "only" 9 Points off and we've only played to our potential in a handful of games really. Especially with just how average (at best) the league is this season and the players we have available to us. Especially if we add another body or two in January (on top of Hector) and Harry Arter's resurrected to give us another Midfielder.

But I think we've proven beyond a doubt that we just can't under Parker, and I suspect we'll be proving it yet again against Reading on New Years Day.

That’s the thing, no one seems to be able to get the sort of consistency to challenge. Leeds seem to have this resilience that they haven’t had before and typically it’s when the championship is as bad as I can remember and the smug 🎃🎃🎃🎃 will actually go up as a result.
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    edited December 2019
    So with the decade over, what’s everyone’s review of the decade and hopes for the next one?

Review of the decade:
    Prediction for the next decade:

2019/20 Prediction:
    League Position on 31/12/20:
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2020:
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020:

• Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Here’s last year’s predictions:
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    The final day of the year means only one thing, PREDICTIONS!!!

2018/19 Prediction: second in league one
    League Position on 31/12/19: 17th in the championship
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Harry Maguire to move to Utd in the summer and score 7 goals by January
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: Cam Vs Lard about whether Brooks is better than Mount when they both get knocked out in the play off semi finals
    mott1993 wrote: »
    2018/19 Prediction: 12th in the Championship
    League Position on 31/12/19: 10th in the Championship
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Forest Green are above Bristol Rovers in the Football League by this time next year
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: Hicksy vs a Plymouth fan that suddenly shows up
    18/19 Prediction: 18th in the Prem, with Cardiff finishing 17th and the first half of 2019 being us chasing Cardiff again like it was in 2018.
    League position this time next year: Within 3 Points of the Top 6. Let's just say 9th.
    Random prediction: From a Fulham perspective, Mitrovic moves to Chelsea in the summer and rips it up for them.

In general, Liverpool lose to Bayern in the CL but all the Liverpool fans will rationalise it as "at least they can focus on the league now". Also Villa will end up being the "Fulham" of this season and end up having a crack at the automatics as soon as Kalinic comes in.

Lounge fight: Me against anyone from the "big clubs" who come into here over the summer asking about Sessegnon and talking about him as if he's a **** LB.
    ryan217 wrote: »
    2018/19 Prediction: Going to be optimistic and say where we are now, 16th, but getting transfers in the January window right is going to be absolutely crucial.
    League Position on 31/12/19: Probably bottom if we stay up, however I think we'd be in or around the top 6 if we go down (assuming we hold onto most of our players which I'd expect us to do) so saying 4th
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Steven Gerrard to do a John Terry and return to anfield in full kit on the final day of the season to lift the premier league
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: Half the lounge ganging up on a Plymouth fan if one appears in here
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    2018/19 Prediction: 8th in the Championship
    League Position on 31/12/19: 6th in the Championship
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Football to come home when England win the nations league.
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: Reading v porstmouth 2.0 both might be in the same division next year so expect the ferocity to increase.
    Alastair wrote: »
    Time for mine.

2018/19 Prediction: My heart says 7th and sneak the final playoff spot. My head says a solid mid table position of 14th. An FA Trophy run would also be nice.
    League Position on 31/12/19: 6th in Conference North (or 20th in Conference National if a miracle happens).
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Man United to win the Champions League before naming OGS as permanent manager. In the summer they'll sign Ryan Sessegnon as a LB from the relegatdc Fulham for £25 million (@wheelerdeeler :trollface:).

My treble is a Championship club to make the FA Cup semi finals, England to win the Nations League and Bury to be plagued by financial difficulties leaving them in a League 2 relegation battle next Christmas.

Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: @Akinfenwaaaa and @iHilarious arguing over who has the biggest flare.

Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    2018/19 Prediction: 9th. Karanka gets the sack after defeat to Leeds. Gary Brazil takes charge for a couple games before Slavisa Jokanovic takes over but doesn't end up doing much better with this group of players.
    League Position on 31/12/19: 7th.
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Liverpool will actually win the league.
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: Kie/Bagnall 2, this time over Team of the Season.
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    2018/19 Prediction: 23rd
    League Position on 31/12/19: 13th in League One
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Felipe Anderson to Chelsea in the summer
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: me v akinfenwaa / kie after we relegate each other (or they relegate us)
    Happy New Year and all that. Reasonably safe assumption to say 2019 won't be quite as eventful as 2018 from a Fulham perspective, but I'll try my best to enjoy it. Hope you all do the same.
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    The final day of the year means only one thing, PREDICTIONS!!!

2018/19 Prediction:
    League Position on 31/12/19: 14th in the Prem
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2019: Billy Sharp to get a deserved call up for the Euro Nations Cup after being top scorer in England for 18/19 season
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2019: Condiments, me and Bala and me and Wednesday fan.

• Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Amazingly @Lard_Lad underestimated their position :smiley:
  • WFCBagnall
    80789 posts Moderator
    Review of the decade:

Weird. Got to Wembley for the first time, got to the play offs but also got relegated. The owner selling up was probably the biggest thing to happen and the club looks like we'll have a better future now.

Prediction for the next decade:

Promotion back to League 1 and push on to the Championship.

2019/20 Prediction: 9th
    League Position on 31/12/20: 3rd
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2020: Oxford will finally get planning permission for a fourth stand
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020: Arsenal get relegated and raid the lounge.
  • Hicksy2011
    18068 posts World Class
    I’m going to need to think about this one
    We started the decade in the prem and reach the FA cup final in 2010, so it’s been a busy one
  • They Caged Non
    edited December 2019
    Review of the decade: Utterly rubbish from start to finish, gone from European finals in the 00s to Championship relegation battle.

Prediction for the next decade: Woodgate will be given time and we will mount a promotion push back to the Premier League with a team of young hungry players, possibly in 2 seasons.

2019/20 Prediction: 10th

League Position on 31/12/20: 3rd

Random Footballing Prediction for 2020: a new, different champions league winner.

Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020: that Leeds and Derby fan will return and kick off about who used to be the biggest club, popcorn at the ready.
  • Review of the decade: Mixed, downward spiral at the beginning (eventual relegation in 2013) but then storming the league a couple of years later. Been mainly upwards ever since and there's a fair amount to be positive about at our club

Prediction for the next decade: Promotion, hopefully

2019/20 Prediction: 8th
    League Position on 31/12/20: 5th
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2020: Manchester City won't win a trophy
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020: @wheelerdeeler vs another Fulham fan defending Scott Parker
  • JamieC
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    Review of the decade: Up and down. Got promoted to the Isthmian Premier Division. Finished 3rd, then 5th, then 7th, then 15th and then finished 24th in what has to be one of the worst seasons in our history. That season was also when our current manager took over.

We then finished 13th in the Isthmian Division One North, then 11th, then 9th and finally last season we finished 6th. Currently sit 3rd as we are overachieving considering our budget against the other clubs.

Prediction for the next decade: Hoping for promotion back to the Isthmian Premier Division or Southern Premier League Central (Depending on where we would get put) and wishful thinking of hoping we can finally reach the National League South.

2019/20 Prediction: 3rd (Hopefully!)

League Position on 31/12/20: 2nd if still in Division One North/12th if in Isthmian Premier/Southern Premier Central

Random Footballing Prediction for 2020: Daniel Barden to make his Norwich debut

Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020: Fight about the best ground for burgers

• james2060
    2996 posts National Call-Up
    Review of the decade: Started well with getting promoted to the Championship, but has been an frustratingly average past 6 years.
    Prediction for the next decade: We're staying in League 1 forever. We'll move in to a new stadium in 2025, Darren Ferguson will be back for his fourth spell as manager with new hope of promotion and we'll fall short. Again.

2019/20 Prediction: 5th and lose in the Playoffs
    League Position on 31/12/20: 6th in League 1
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2020: Steven Gerrard will be managing Leeds, 8 points clear at the top going in to 2021 and they'll slip up and lose in the playoffs. Again.
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020: There won't be any
  • AaronMFC
    1926 posts Play-Off Hero
    Review of the decade: Overall pretty disappointing there were a couple of good seasons but for the most part underwhelming and played some drab football.
    Prediction for the next decade: We rely heavily on a few experienced signings and mostly our academy players and hopefully after a few years are back competing at the top of the championship. With a promotion around 2023 or 2024. After that god knows the money in the prem may have skyrocketed still so ill go with us becoming a yoyo club.

2019/20 Prediction: 14th
    League Position on 31/12/20: 8th
    Random Footballing Prediction for 2020: Mbappe pips messi to win his first ballon dor.
    Bizarre Lounge Fight in 2020: Fairly typical but the yearly argument about how the quality of any league a members team is in is worse than ever.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7692 posts League Winner
    edited December 2019
    Review of the decade: Definitely a mixed bag. Can’t say it’s been a bad one even with the relegations and nearly going down to League One when the decade has also given me probably my two best memories I’ll ever have as a Fulham fan with the Europa League Final run and the Play-Off final.

Prediction for next decade: Honestly depends a lot on the next 18 months or so. If we can get promoted before we lose the parachute payments we could turn into a bit of a Yo-Yo team. If we don’t (and we aren’t this season under Parker) then it could be a bit rough and we’ll most likely have to rely on bringing through players from our (very good) academy.

19/20 Prediction: Hasn’t changed from the start of the season, 4th.

League position this time next year: Probably say 4th again. A lot depends on who the Manager is though.

Random Prediction(s): Sticking with Fulham, Kevin McDonald will be our Manager at some point this coming decade.

Marcus Bettinelli will be sold to a Prem team as a 3rd choice Keeper in the summer because he’s homegrown.

Matt O’Riley leaves us on a free in the summer to either Celtic or Rangers so we get done out of a tribunal like we did with French Dembele and turns into a very good player.

In general; Liverpool do the Prem/CL double.

Spurs win the FA Cup because Mourinho always goes for an early trophy.

Ismaila Sarr will play himself into that bracket of best players outside the Top 6.

Also a long-term one if we’re all still here. 2024 will be the biggest year for Football since the Premier League was formed in its current format.

Lounge Fight: Bit surprised it didn’t happen yesterday where I claim the league is especially bad this season and then someone comes in and says that the statement is said every year.