Comments

• They Caged Non
    6267 posts Big Money Move
    Kett is awesome, ❤️❤️❤️❤️ wrong thread
  • wheelerdeeler
    7393 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 4
    Alastair wrote: »

Slight issue with this, Hodgson then went on to manage England and it was the worst thing I’ve ever seen, I love anything nailing the scousers and their disgusting fans but where Hodgson is concerned I may actually sympathise a bit.

Roy and his style of Football are only good with teams that punch up like us, Palace, West Brom etc.

Although the thing that I think people forget and Roy and Liverpool is they had Hicks and Gillett in charge and Roy was always the cheap option. If my memory is right he'd tried to sign Suarez in his only window and ended up with Jovanovic.

The England stuff was just a failure at all levels (not taking any blame off Roy because end of the day he was in charge of the sinking ship). Never seen a team completely freeze before that Iceland game, can't just be put on Roy. They literally forgot how to play Football.
  • AaronMFC
    1882 posts Play-Off Hero

Slight issue with this, Hodgson then went on to manage England and it was the worst thing I’ve ever seen, I love anything nailing the scousers and their disgusting fans but where Hodgson is concerned I may actually sympathise a bit.

Roy and his style of Football are only good with teams that punch up like us, Palace, West Brom etc.

Although the thing that I think people forget and Roy and Liverpool is they had Hicks and Gillett in charge and Roy was always the cheap option. If my memory is right he'd tried to sign Suarez in his only window and ended up with Jovanovic.

The England stuff was just a failure at all levels (not taking any blame off Roy because end of the day he was in charge of the sinking ship). Never seen a team completely freeze before that Iceland game, can't just be put on Roy. They literally forgot how to play Football.

I mainly blame playing rooney in midfield instead of just dropping him i know he scored a penalty in that game but apart from that it was one of the worst indicidual performances iv ever seen. Clyne was also much better than walker then, walkers ballwatching cost us equalisers against iceland and croatia in our tournament exits.
  • They Caged Non

Whoever put Harry Kane on free kicks and corners should be paraded through the streets so we can throw rotten vegetables at their head.
  • wheelerdeeler
    First league game back with the Kett. Like I never left.
    v59eArW.png
  • wheelerdeeler
    And I've just noticed Lee Johnson is in charge of Fulham in my FM save. Feel like that is actually going to happen one day, just because his family are Fulham fans.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited July 4
    AaronMFC wrote: »

I mainly blame playing rooney in midfield instead of just dropping him i know he scored a penalty in that game but apart from that it was one of the worst indicidual performances iv ever seen. Clyne was also much better than walker then, walkers ballwatching cost us equalisers against iceland and croatia in our tournament exits.

Whoever put Harry Kane on free kicks and corners should be paraded through the streets so we can throw rotten vegetables at their head.

As I said, not taking any blame off Roy. But feel like there's a myth that Roy isn't a good Manager because he's had a couple of high profile failures, when he's genuinely a top drawer manager for a certain level (i.e. the Fulham, West Brom, Palace) level. Palace have spent like 20m and sold Wan-Bissaka since they got Roy in and they've never been in serious relegation trouble once.
  • AaronMFC
    1882 posts Play-Off Hero

I had genuinely repressed that memory that was beyond stupid.
  • AaronMFC
    1882 posts Play-Off Hero

As I said, not taking any blame off Roy. But feel like there's a myth that Roy isn't a good Manager because he's had a couple of high profile failures, when he's genuinely a top drawer manager for a certain level (i.e. the Fulham, West Brom, Palace) level. Palace have spent like 20m and sold Wan-Bissaka since they got Roy in and they've never been in serious relegation trouble once.

I agree completely on Hodgson he is a good manager at a certain level and his teams are difficult to play against. Obviously he will be remembered for Iceland but he didnt do worse than Capello really.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    And I've just noticed Lee Johnson is in charge of Fulham in my FM save. Feel like that is actually going to happen one day, just because his family are Fulham fans.

Unluckeeeeeee.gif
  • BrentfordFC
    13442 posts Has That Special Something
    Lovely win there. It’s going to be tight now till the Fulham game with West Bromwich.

We've got Forest and Cardiff before that game. Hardly a guaranteed 6 Points.

Both winnable them. Gotta have faith even if you hate Parker :lol:

• Lard_Lad
    12737 posts Has That Special Something
    The Brexit Derby coming up in 10 mins.
  • iHilarious
    13301 posts Has That Special Something
    Cmon the Blades
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Woke up feeling positive about football for the first time in a long time. It genuinely felt like this was as good as it was ever going to get, and that he had a job for life if he wanted it.

I'll always be grateful for some of the good times we've had under LJ, but my god was that overdue. Rule one in business is never employ your friends, and for that reason, he should have never been appointed (the Johnsons are long time family friends of our Chairman's family).

Interesting seeing some of the reaction from pundits and fans of other clubs, suggesting he's been hard done by, all I can say is that they haven't had to sit through these last two years. To say that it's been absolute garbage would be an insult to garbage.

I can count on one hand the number of enjoyable home games in the past two seasons. The last year or two had genuinely completely eradicated any enjoyment or buzz I got from a matchday. It got to the point where going to the football actually felt like a chore.

The man has spent tens of millions and has absolutely no clue what his style, identity or system is. From different formations week in week out, to absolutely bizarre transfers and playing players out of position routinely and bizarre media behaviour.

His stats say a lot about his tenure here - streaky - essentially lost as many as he's won. There was normally no middle ground with Johnson, we were either on fire or in freefall. Unfortunately the past two years we've just regressed hugely from genuine top two contenders - for half a season at least - and high tempo, pressing, exciting, attacking football, to the absolute dross that's been served up in the last two years.

We like to be self-deprecating as a fan base, "who'd want to come here" etc. etc.

Absolute nonsense. This is a big, attractive job. We are arguably the biggest club to have never played Premier League football. The money is there, the facilities are there, and a new manager will inherit a very talented squad that IMO has been completely stifled by a well meaning but tactically inept manager. We have a chairman with a track record of giving his managers a lot of time and a lot of money.

It feels like a real pivotal moment in our modern history. Do what we normally do - the cheap option - and we are in real danger of regressing and undoing the upturn in our reputation over the last few years. To think we went from League One strugglers in 13/14 to signing the likes of Tammy Abraham, Nahki Wells, Han-Noah Massengo.... all that could easily be undone by gambling again on an 'up and coming' lower league manager.

IMO it's absolutely critical that we bring in an experienced head with plenty of experience competing at the right end of THIS league. The fan base seems to pretty unanimously want Chris Hughton, which is a fair shout, we're often compared to Brighton in terms of the long term aims and general upward momentum.
  • mott1993
    935 posts Semi-Pro
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    It feels like a real pivotal moment in our modern history. Do what we normally do - the cheap option - and we are in real danger of regressing and undoing the upturn in our reputation over the last few years. To think we went from League One strugglers in 13/14 to signing the likes of Tammy Abraham, Nahki Wells, Han-Noah Massengo.... all that could easily be undone by gambling again on an 'up and coming' lower league manager.

And still almost went down with him in the squad
  • wheelerdeeler
    Did I see something along the lines of Chelsea gave you a good deal for Dasilva and Kalas if they gave you first option on Massengo, or something like that because obviously they couldn't sign players last summer.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Did I see something along the lines of Chelsea gave you a good deal for Dasilva and Kalas if they gave you first option on Massengo, or something like that because obviously they couldn't sign players last summer.

It was rumoured as a conspiracy theory amongst our fans but seems pretty far fetched to me.

I think the reality is that we forged a very good relationship with Chelsea as part of the Abraham deal, and the fact that he did so well here meant they were happy for Dasilva and Kalas to be here on loan.

Then when there were available on permanent deals it was the logical outcome for all.
  • They Caged Non
    Woke up feeling positive about football for the first time in a long time. It genuinely felt like this was as good as it was ever going to get, and that he had a job for life if he wanted it.

I'll always be grateful for some of the good times we've had under LJ, but my god was that overdue. Rule one in business is never employ your friends, and for that reason, he should have never been appointed (the Johnsons are long time family friends of our Chairman's family).

Interesting seeing some of the reaction from pundits and fans of other clubs, suggesting he's been hard done by, all I can say is that they haven't had to sit through these last two years. To say that it's been absolute garbage would be an insult to garbage.

I can count on one hand the number of enjoyable home games in the past two seasons. The last year or two had genuinely completely eradicated any enjoyment or buzz I got from a matchday. It got to the point where going to the football actually felt like a chore.

The man has spent tens of millions and has absolutely no clue what his style, identity or system is. From different formations week in week out, to absolutely bizarre transfers and playing players out of position routinely and bizarre media behaviour.

His stats say a lot about his tenure here - streaky - essentially lost as many as he's won. There was normally no middle ground with Johnson, we were either on fire or in freefall. Unfortunately the past two years we've just regressed hugely from genuine top two contenders - for half a season at least - and high tempo, pressing, exciting, attacking football, to the absolute dross that's been served up in the last two years.

We like to be self-deprecating as a fan base, "who'd want to come here" etc. etc.

Absolute nonsense. This is a big, attractive job. We are arguably the biggest club to have never played Premier League football. The money is there, the facilities are there, and a new manager will inherit a very talented squad that IMO has been completely stifled by a well meaning but tactically inept manager. We have a chairman with a track record of giving his managers a lot of time and a lot of money.

IMO it's absolutely critical that we bring in an experienced head with plenty of experience competing at the right end of THIS league. The fan base seems to pretty unanimously want Chris Hughton, which is a fair shout, we're often compared to Brighton in terms of the long term aims and general upward momentum.

TLDR
  • They Caged Non
    League One here we come, all you minnows get ready to come to the mighty Riverside with its ageing decor, 12000 miserable fans and a free showing of Billy Smarts Circus once a fortnight for 90 mins.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Warnock IN
  • They Caged Non
    Warnock IN

Haha, he could do your job and not have to move house.. I’m not even going to think about blaming our troubles on him, although the team selection today was nothing short of bizarre.
  • AaronMFC
    1882 posts Play-Off Hero
    League One here we come, all you minnows get ready to come to the mighty Riverside with its ageing decor, 12000 miserable fans and a free showing of Billy Smarts Circus once a fortnight for 90 mins.

12,000 bit of an optimist.
  • They Caged Non

12,000 bit of an optimist.

At least they have had a few games to get used to it mate, an empty ground
  • wheelerdeeler
    Lol even Football Manager is trolling me

bcdd7bdb0eaf11571cfadc7d2cd8e239.png

Fulham fans are slightly more in favour of him.
    kGYJTyJ.png
  • mott1993
    935 posts Semi-Pro

With all due respect, I've not been to the Riverside yet (was going to go this season) so could you not get relegated, thanks
  • They Caged Non
    mott1993 wrote: »

With all due respect, I've not been to the Riverside yet (was going to go this season) so could you not get relegated, thanks

Hahaha, you aren’t missing much.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited July 5
    1 game left in qualifying, Faroe Islands Away. If I bottle this I'm deleting the game and never playing it again.
    IIpJoHL.png

Think the game is safe.
    KDl9GAN.png

Game lives to see another day.
    z20Uxu7.png

• GoodnightIrene
    3903 posts National Call-Up
    Middlesborough look like getting saved by the Wigan fiasco, can see you finishing 22nd, but 21st by virtue of the 12 point deduction assuming that is set and stone.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited July 5
    Forgot to mention this when I was talking about just needing Wing-Backs who can cross in the lower leagues. My Left-Back got Club POTY three years in a row between Conference Prem and L1 after I'd worked it out. Bramall in L1 was a cheat code. 23 Assists and 12 MOTMs is just stupid.
    qNYCk3f.png
    a67r9my.png
  • AaronMFC
    1882 posts Play-Off Hero
    Middlesborough look like getting saved by the Wigan fiasco, can see you finishing 22nd, but 21st by virtue of the 12 point deduction assuming that is set and stone.

In a daft way we would kind of deserve that luck after being relegated from the prem after being deducted points before. However I hope that isnt the case Wigan have been absolutely screwed and really dont deserve that.