The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    Was sorting out my files and dug up this old photo. Happy days @BRISTOL86 @BristolMDF koCNH0l.jpg

Weird thing was that team was good on an individual basis. Ayling, Flint, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia...

... and our team was absolutely shambolic apart from McCormack, Dembele and Cairney and we still had Kit Symons in charge. Only thing I remember about it is we matched your 3 at the back and there was some very suspect defending. Think Flint literally put Dembele in 1 on 1 for one of the goals.

Flint’s always masked his rather suspect defending with his goals, one goal line clearance against Man C and everyone thought he was Maldini. We were so much stronger when we replaced him with Webster.
  • NornIron
    13807 posts Has That Special Something
    Michael O'Neill has coronavirus now whiskey mustn't help.
  • They Caged Non
    6259 posts Big Money Move
    Was sorting out my files and dug up this old photo. Happy days @BRISTOL86 @BristolMDF koCNH0l.jpg

Weird thing was that team was good on an individual basis. Ayling, Flint, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia...

... and our team was absolutely shambolic apart from McCormack, Dembele and Cairney and we still had Kit Symons in charge. Only thing I remember about it is we matched your 3 at the back and there was some very suspect defending. Think Flint literally put Dembele in 1 on 1 for one of the goals.

Flint’s always masked his rather suspect defending with his goals, one goal line clearance against Man C and everyone thought he was Maldini. We were so much stronger when we replaced him with Webster.

Scored a massive 1 for us first game, then never again :D
  • They Caged Non
    The Mackems are seething lol, I’d love to say it’s not funny.. see ya next season when we come down boys
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero

His miss against Burton was genuinely incredible the phrase harder to miss is overused but it couldnt be any more fitting.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7382 posts Big Money Move

At least you only spent like 5m on Flint. We spent 15 rising to 20 on Mawson and he's exactly the same. But he can't even get on the pitch most of the time these days.
  • They Caged Non

At least you only spent like 5m on Flint. We spent 15 rising to 20 on Mawson and he's exactly the same. But he can't even get on the pitch most of the time these days.

i think it was 8 but yeah the point stands. Our 'wasting money on players' dad is way bigger than yours though lets be honest.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Must admit I’m liking the Posh meltdown, you were 7th FFS get over it.
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    edited June 10

In their defence the second half of the season Posh with Szmodics were probably the best team in the league
    Meanwhile Wycombe who had gradually fallen away after a bunch of wins at the beginning and were almost certainly not getting play offs have suddenly jumped ahead
    As it is Wycombe are probably my favourites for the play offs now under the new circumstances as well :joy:
  • Kingy
    2351 posts Fans' Favourite
    Very true.. weird how Brizzle City never gave Sammie a look in at all
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »

In their defence the second half of the season Posh with Szmodics were probably the best team in the league
    Meanwhile Wycombe who had gradually fallen away after a bunch of wins at the beginning and were almost certainly not getting play offs have suddenly jumped ahead
    As it is Wycombe are probably my favourites for the play offs now under the new circumstances as well :joy:

That’s the whole point isn’t it. They weren’t good enough over the games they played and DMAC is just coming across as a bit of a belter in all this.

I completely understand his frustration with teams not voting to carry on, that’s completely understandable, but it was a democratic process and the PPG model is the most universally accepted fair one. Suck it up and move on, people are losing their homes, jobs and loved ones, football really needs to take a back seat in all this.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    edited June 10
    Kingy wrote: »

Our model for a few years now has been signing promising young uns and then loaning them out with a view to them coming back to us when they’re ready for the level, I can see Szmodics and Walsh being in and around the first team next season.
    Post edited by BristolMDF on
  • GoodnightIrene
    3903 posts National Call-Up
    Kingy wrote: »
    They will next season I'm sure, he is a dangerous player.
  • They Caged Non
    Im absolutely with @BristolMDF on this, at the end of the day teams complaining should have been better, end of... its almost as a bad as a team going down after winning their last 5 games in row then complaining if the season had been 2 games longer they would have stayed up.

From my personal experience if Boro had gone down on PPG basis i would have had no complaints because we have been awful all season.

Sunderland complaining like hell about it but they were rank before Christmas so how can they possibly complain.
  • mott1993
    935 posts Semi-Pro

Story of the first half of that season
  • iHilarious
    13300 posts Has That Special Something

If we beat you we’ll beat Wycombe - I don’t think we’d do Fleetwood though
  • GoodnightIrene
    Im absolutely with @BristolMDF on this, at the end of the day teams complaining should have been better, end of... its almost as a bad as a team going down after winning their last 5 games in row then complaining if the season had been 2 games longer they would have stayed up.

From my personal experience if Boro had gone down on PPG basis i would have had no complaints because we have been awful all season.

Sunderland complaining like hell about it but they were rank before Christmas so how can they possibly complain.
    I think of it like when we got relegated to the National League 6 years ago, for the whole season we were in the relegation zone for less than an hour, but over the course of the season we were the second worst team, simple as.

Obviously it is slightly different now in not all teams have had a fair crack against every team in the league (I have no doubt Tranmere would have stayed up based on their form and fixture list) but the solution was never going to be perfect with a pandemic going on.
  • james2060
    2959 posts Fans' Favourite

I mean we were 6th and missed out on the playoffs, but I know what you're saying. Moaning about something that's out of our control, it is what it is and we'd have done the same if we were in anyone else's position.
    I'll never understand why they choice an unweighted PPG over a weighted one but that's a different arguement.
  • Hicksy2011
    16934 posts World Class
    the problem with weighted PPG is where do you stop
    if you take home/away in to account why arent you taking difficulty of opponent
    but then what about recent form because some teams got stronger in January
    then you have teams like us and Oxford who have played loads of cups and been distracted that finally just get to focus on the league
    massive rabbit hole
  • GoodnightIrene
    james2060 wrote: »

I mean we were 6th and missed out on the playoffs, but I know what you're saying. Moaning about something that's out of our control, it is what it is and we'd have done the same if we were in anyone else's position.
    I'll never understand why they choice an unweighted PPG over a weighted one but that's a different arguement.
    You weren't 6th though, you were 7th, hence why you've missed out on the playoffs?
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional

Were you though, James? Were you?

B0-A87-E18-B0-D3-4-C6-F-8-C89-6359-DBDD5-FFE.png
  • james2060
    Sorry, when you said 'were' I assumed you meant before PPG had been applied.
    the problem with weighted PPG is where do you stop
    if you take home/away in to account why arent you taking difficulty of opponent
    but then what about recent form because some teams got stronger in January
    then you have teams like us and Oxford who have played loads of cups and been distracted that finally just get to focus on the league
    massive rabbit hole

I know, but all these questions are equally valid in the method that was chosen.
  • They Caged Non

I think of it like when we got relegated to the National League 6 years ago, for the whole season we were in the relegation zone for less than an hour, but over the course of the season we were the second worst team, simple as.

Obviously it is slightly different now in not all teams have had a fair crack against every team in the league (I have no doubt Tranmere would have stayed up based on their form and fixture list) but the solution was never going to be perfect with a pandemic going on.

But then could it be classed as slightly arrogant from Tranmere and it’s owner to assume their remaining fixtures would allow them to stay up, what gives them the right to assume they will beat the teams they have left.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    edited June 10

That table must be before PPG, the teams have played different numbers of games?
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited June 10

That table must be before PPG, the teams have played different numbers of games?

Wycombe are in 3rd with 59 points and three teams below them have 60 points thats the updated ppg table. They should add a column to show the PPG really.
  • GoodnightIrene

But then could it be classed as slightly arrogant from Tranmere and it’s owner to assume their remaining fixtures would allow them to stay up, what gives them the right to assume they will beat the teams they have left.
    Oh I have no idea if they assume that or how angry the owner is etc... just looking at it myself, I'm positive the way the season would have played out they would have survived. Obviously no way to know that of course so PPG it is, in which fair enough they deserve to go down.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    AaronMFC wrote: »

Wycombe are in 3rd with 59 points and three teams below them have 60 points thats the updated ppg table. They should add a column to show the PPG really.

Ah my bad, that’s a ridiculous way to show the table then lol.
  • james2060

They weren't though. They wanted a chance to play out the season, and being 3 points behind with a game in hand that was a pretty strong chance. If they got relegated on the field, they accept it. That's why they were pushing for no relegations if no more games were played.
  • They Caged Non

They weren't though. They wanted a chance to play out the season, and being 3 points behind with a game in hand that was a pretty strong chance. If they got relegated on the field, they accept it. That's why they were pushing for no relegations if no more games were played.

But them, Sunderland, Peterborough etc dont want to include the fact they didnt get the points needed in the games prior to lockdown... nobody wants to hold their hands up and say actually we didnt perform well enough in the games we did play and thats why we are where we are. They are all just moaning about not finishing the season and refusing to accept they were ❤️❤️❤️❤️ in 38 games or whatever.