The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• wheelerdeeler
    7058 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 28
    Now I'm worried we're somehow in the mix to be relegated.
    Post edited by wheelerdeeler on
  • GoodnightIrene
    3869 posts National Call-Up
    james2060 wrote: »

Quite a few European countries now have their second and third tiers playing again, and then you see the financial state that the equivalent leagues and below here are in. There's no reason that financially the teams here should be in such a worse position on the whole and sad that the Huddersfield fella reckons 50-60 clubs could go bust.
    Next season was always going to be different, but it could be a lot more different than the EFL are expecting.
    Can't speak for other clubs but this is going to put any progress we've made and our wage structure back massively.

I believe I've mentioned before but a majority of our club is out of contract, I expect almost all of them to go, sell JCH for 1 million (don't expect to get more than that with the current state of the market, maybe lucky to even get that at this point).

Once that's done we will have about 5 first team players left, promote a bunch of youth players to the first team who perhaps aren't quite ready yet, and then get free transfers in for £500 a week. Previously offering bang average player £2.5K a week, Sercombe and Bennett are both on £4K a week for God's sake.

I expect this to massively reduce our wage bill, which in theory is obviously a good thing for the future of the club, but the other side is this will set us behind. The only silver lining is it is most likely the same for a majority of the clubs in this division, so that might save us from relegation next season.

As we've all said numerous times, the gap between League One and Championship is going to be huge, I expect numerous years of Rotherham, Luton and Barnsley recycling between the leagues each season.
  • NornIron
    13703 posts Has That Special Something
    @iHilarious Apparently its very likely Cooper is joining Oxford. Might even be done.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Seeing this has made me realise that the stand'll probably be half built before I'm actually back at the Cottage.
  • They Caged Non
    6156 posts Big Money Move
    Seeing this has made me realise that the stand'll probably be half built before I'm actually back at the Cottage.

That’ll be mint, could even end up the best away day in the UK with those facilities by the river
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited May 30

That’ll be mint, could even end up the best away day in the UK with those facilities by the river

Yeah, should be really good at the start and end of the season when it's hot. We're building out as well as up and there'll be a proper River walkway type thing with bars, restaurants etc.
    pid-12454_view_02_riverwalk_match_day_final.jpeg?w=622&h=278
  • They Caged Non

Yeah, should be really good at the start and end of the season when it's hot. We're building out as well as up and there'll be a proper River walkway type thing with bars, restaurants etc.
    pid-12454_view_02_riverwalk_match_day_final.jpeg?w=622&h=278
    Sounds and looks awesome, I already like Fulham as an away day anyway
  • wheelerdeeler
    Most positive tests in the EFL, You'll never sing that.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero
    Back to worrying about relegation for me.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Going to be weird for us. Assuming it follows the fixture list we had before the league got postponed we'll be playing Brentford and Leeds as our first two games back which will literally define our season. And there'll be players who aren't properly fit and no atmosphere (insert Fulham joke here) of any sort.
  • They Caged Non
    AaronMFC wrote: »

It’s probably the best thing that could happen to us, not having fans in the ground.. players like Nmecha can get on playing football without Terry from park end groaning every time they touch the ball because he didn’t look like Messi after 15m of his debut.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero

It’s probably the best thing that could happen to us, not having fans in the ground.. players like Nmecha can get on playing football without Terry from park end groaning every time they touch the ball because he didn’t look like Messi after 15m of his debut.

Nmecha hasnt looked very good at all tbf. I have confidence that paddy roberts will win us a couple of games as unusual as this is I think its right to try and end the season even without fans.
  • They Caged Non

Nmecha hasnt looked very good at all tbf. I have confidence that paddy roberts will win us a couple of games as unusual as this is I think its right to try and end the season even without fans.

They do need to end the season definitely... that Nmecha has literally played a few minutes here and there though, far too early to judge and start booing him etc like our lot do.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero

They do need to end the season definitely... that Nmecha has literally played a few minutes here and there though, far too early to judge and start booing him etc like our lot do.

Oh definitely i fail to see a reason to boo unless a player is putting no effort in whatsoever. Otherwise its just pointless when our fans wanted Guzan sent off a few years ago it was embarrassing beyond belief.
  • They Caged Non

Oh definitely i fail to see a reason to boo unless a player is putting no effort in whatsoever. Otherwise its just pointless when our fans wanted Guzan sent off a few years ago it was embarrassing beyond belief.

Yeah and Gestede, the countless abuse he gets when he comes on because of some chinese whispers about an FA cup away game that 50/50 people are saying happened or didnt.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero

Yeah and Gestede, the countless abuse he gets when he comes on because of some chinese whispers about an FA cup away game that 50/50 people are saying happened or didnt.

Iv certainly criticised Marvin Johnson here before but hes been mostly excellent this season yet some of our fanbase act like hes our worst ever player. I bet most the team are looking forward to playing without the unnecessary pressure we put on them.
  • They Caged Non

Iv certainly criticised Marvin Johnson here before but hes been mostly excellent this season yet some of our fanbase act like hes our worst ever player. I bet most the team are looking forward to playing without the unnecessary pressure we put on them.

id love to see if someone could work out as a stat, the amount of people in a ground who actually have a clue about the game, be 20% at the very most.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Wonder how many more players will be doing what Lyle Taylor's apparently doing.
  • BrentfordFC
    13414 posts Has That Special Something
    Qpr moaning about the released statement. Don’t see what the issue is. They have 19 days to prepare like everyone else. With testing being done every week. No other way to finish the season.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3774 posts National Call-Up
    I mean every time has the same amount of time to prepare, so I don't see how they can complain.

It'll be interesting to see how much time will be between the end of the season in July and the new season starting.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited June 2
    If the Play-Off Final is the 30th of July (or around that date) like the EFL said in their statement I'd guess they do a condensed transfer window for the whole of August and the players get two weeks or so off and then the new season starts first or second week of September.

They're going to have to ditch the Carling Cup though. Or have the early rounds of the Carling Cup in late August as effectively Pre-Season friendlies.

One of the things I am interested in is how UEFA do the Champions League next season, because there presumably won't be time to do all of the qualifying rounds where Celtic play some Maltese farmers for 4 rounds to get to the Group Stage.
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator

Our manager tweeted that on Monday. Today we announced a partnership with Adidas. Would have been awkward if another company had won. :lol:

Delighted with Adidas though. Macron were generally good over the last five seasons but they're not on the same level.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited June 3
    Might just be because we got to a Europa League final, but I really miss Nike kits. The kit we had that year was one of my favourites. Think Nike have said they're not just going to do templates soon as well, which is always my main annoyance with Adidas because you can basically know what the Kit is before it's even announced.
    Post edited by wheelerdeeler on
  • wheelerdeeler
    This made me laugh.

Although the new one seems to have been designed by a former Soviet country to host an U21 Euros Final.
  • They Caged Non
    Thoughts on Ben Gibson training with us again?

I think it’s shocking tbh, employed by Burnley and not out of contract anytime soon, their record signing... why is he in Boro training kit running about with our players. For a start social distancing etc, surely none club members should be nowhere near? It’s also massive disrespect to his employers.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hes clearly fallen out with Dyche, I agree what hes doing is wrong but he wanted out in January and for some reason Dyche wouldnt even loan him despite having no use for him so I understand his frustrations as well.
  • They Caged Non
    Hes clearly fallen out with Dyche, I agree what hes doing is wrong but he wanted out in January and for some reason Dyche wouldnt even loan him despite having no use for him so I understand his frustrations as well.

I just hope it doesnt end up making the club look bad having him dressed in Boro training gear running about like he plays for us.. he clearly still has his heart in the area but i guess his wage demands would be way too high for anything we could afford, its all just a bit weird to me mate. I dont think Woody is that pleased about it, he said something along the lines of his uncle owns the club so he can come and go as he pleases didnt he.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero

I just hope it doesnt end up making the club look bad having him dressed in Boro training gear running about like he plays for us.. he clearly still has his heart in the area but i guess his wage demands would be way too high for anything we could afford, its all just a bit weird to me mate. I dont think Woody is that pleased about it, he said something along the lines of his uncle owns the club so he can come and go as he pleases didnt he.

Im not too sure I havent seen Woodgate comment on it Im sure Gibson would take much lower wages to rejoin us but obviously Burnley wont be happy and wont want to sell to us after letting him train with us. Unless we give them Fry Im surprised how many clubs hes linked with hes clearly got potential but overall hes had a poor season.