The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Ashy
    11237 posts Has That Special Something
    Cyperpunk is out Sept 17 unless that gets delayed so I shouldn't be tempted one bit this year
  • GoodnightIrene
    3903 posts National Call-Up
    Luckily (or unluckily) I've received the game for free since Fifa 14, couldn't imagine spending money to buy the game with the state it has been in in recent years.
  • AtomicOdin
    1161 posts Professional
    Ive not bought fifa since 17 I think, saying that just downloaded 20 on ea access. is it as bad as everybody says. only played the free trial, when it first came out.
  • They Caged Non
    6264 posts Big Money Move
    Its borstal online on FUT now, horrible game, horrible community. Developed to pander to the horrible community with childish Tifo's that nobody wants that only extend the goal animations even further than necessary... stupid celebrations for 14yr old boys to get a hard on over when they score their 50th cutback goal of the night with their 99 pace players nobody has ever heard of. Couple this with ridiculous cards being rleeased every other day its an absolute mess of a game.

Imagine creating a football 'simulator' that basically renders the best real life players in the world useless, and makes bang average Tottenham CBs as good as Maldini., and who even is Eder Militao, does anyone know? is he the water carrier at Madrid?
  • They Caged Non
    Unusable players who are excellent IRL off the top of my head, SIlva, Pjanic, Mandzukic, Higuain, Chiellini, Godin, Kane, Lukaku, Kroos, Kimmich, Lewandowski, Suarez NIF card, Busquets (i dont like him but needs to be in), Cavani, Eriksen, Modric, Hummels.
  • GoodnightIrene
    Unusable players who are excellent IRL off the top of my head, SIlva, Pjanic, Mandzukic, Higuain, Chiellini, Godin, Kane, Lukaku, Kroos, Kimmich, Lewandowski, Suarez NIF card, Busquets (i dont like him but needs to be in), Cavani, Eriksen, Modric, Hummels.
    Busquets is ironically my favourite footballer of all time :lol:
  • They Caged Non

See i just dont understand why? 5 yard passes and laying on the floor looking through his fingers to see if the ref is dishing cards out just doesnt appeal to me.
  • Fadazzo
    349 posts Sunday League Hero

See i just dont understand why? 5 yard passes and laying on the floor looking through his fingers to see if the ref is dishing cards out just doesnt appeal to me.

Busquets has a horrendous personality but he's the best defensive midfielder ever for me. His vision and technique was out of this world.
  • NornIron
    13808 posts Has That Special Something
    Two cracking young players from Linfield
    Charlie Allen going to Leeds '' Turned down City and Liverpool and Dale Taylor to Forest. They're only 16/17.
  • GoodnightIrene

As someone who loves to dive and cheat in football he is one of the best talents the game has seen for it, combine that on top with being the best passer, dribbler and having the best general awareness and ability of any CDM in the history of the game does it for me. He is a genius at reading the game, perhaps the best ever.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7389 posts Big Money Move
    Really happy with this. Think his contract was up in 2021, so at least we've avoided an auction for him like we've had a few times in the past when someone's running their contract down. Would still expect him to be sold in the near future if he keeps his current trajectory because he has been "that good", but for a decent chunk of money rather than pennies.
  • BristolMDF
    1270 posts Professional
    Cannot for the life of my work out why the EFL have divested power to the clubs to decide what to do about the season. Ridiculous that you can end up with three divisions, all under the same regulatory oversight, all doing different things.

Seriously what is the point in the EFL as an entity?
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited May 15
    This whole thing has exposed how so very few people just in life actually take responsibility for stuff. It's fairly obvious why the EFL are doing it the way they're doing it, because they don't want to get sued by say a Peterborough.

Although I can understand the different things for different leagues. Because the money at the different levels and what the different levels can afford in-terms of tests, and also losses made by no ticket sales, delayed Season Ticket sales etc. is completely different. We'll be in a completely different financial situation to say Scunthorpe.
  • Hicksy2011
    16955 posts World Class
    edited May 15
    Yeh that’s essentially the issue that’s tearing L1 apart
    £140k (the cost of testing to finish the season) is 5% of Accrington’s annual turnover
    Meanwhile we made 2m profit last year and stand to lose a mountain of money (as well as potential promotion) from not playing
    Post edited by Hicksy2011 on
  • james2060
    2961 posts Fans' Favourite
    Our lot are trying to scaremonger the potential costs of not finishing the season in to the clubs lower in the league. So for us apparently they'll have costs of 700-800k for an unfinished season whilst it would cost 300k for testing plus loss of revenue. Accrington could lose out that 5% with testing, but then look at refunding maybe double that for incomplete commercial contracts?

It's just a mess, and the only way which it can be completed fairly is to play every game. But that's not going to happen.
  • They Caged Non

As someone who loves to dive and cheat in football he is one of the best talents the game has seen for it, combine that on top with being the best passer, dribbler and having the best general awareness and ability of any CDM in the history of the game does it for me. He is a genius at reading the game, perhaps the best ever.

Hmmm im not convinced.. Alonso has been better then him imo, and i always feel Iniesta was the one that kind of made that midfield look good... i guess he falls into that category where half the people say he is ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and the other half call him the 'unsung hero' etc.. i know where my thoughts sit. But medals wise and career he defo deserves to be on that list above.
  • wheelerdeeler
    It’s not a coincidence that Busquets has been a mainstay of arguably the two most dominant teams we’ve seen this century (you could even argue ever) at club level and internationally with Spain 08-12 and Pep’s Barca and started for Barcelona for over a decade now. Let’s put it that way and be done with it.
  • They Caged Non
    It’s not a coincidence that Busquets has been a mainstay of arguably the two most dominant teams we’ve seen this century (you could even argue ever) at club level and internationally with Spain 08-12 and Pep’s Barca and started for Barcelona for over a decade now. Let’s put it that way and be done with it.

So was Victor Valdes though, and Alba... then you have to factor in stuff like if Barca won next seasons champions league, potentially Martin Braithwaite will have a medal... playing in an excellent team doesnt always = world class player. Id like to see how many bang average randoms have a trophy cabinet thats full, Darren Fletcher cough cough.
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 16

I really rate Busquets but i am not a fan of arguments like that. For me Sergio Ramos is the most overrated player in the world yet hes rated as one of the best ever because of his trophies won, he was rb in the dominant spain team because puyol and pique are better than him. Real have won champions leagues not due to their defence but due to a great attack lots of refereeing in their favour and even then Varane is the much superior cb. Yet if i ever say Ramos isnt great to anyone its look how much he won.
  • Lard_Lad
    12737 posts Has That Special Something
    Just found out 2K are funding an official PGA Tour game made by HB Studios... I hope this is a belter and I’ll finally wave bye to Fifa again and become a fully addicted online golfer. A lot of people cite Fifa and Sim City as the reasons they hate EA but mine is all rooted in their disgraceful ruining of the PGA series.

Tiger Woods 04 and 05 were the greatest of games.
  • wheelerdeeler

So was Victor Valdes though, and Alba... then you have to factor in stuff like if Barca won next seasons champions league, potentially Martin Braithwaite will have a medal... playing in an excellent team doesnt always = world class player. Id like to see how many bang average randoms have a trophy cabinet thats full, Darren Fletcher cough cough.

Wasn't it Capdevila and Casillas for Spain? I know it was Abidal for Pep's Barca. And it's one thing having a medal, it's another thing having literally all of them.
  • wheelerdeeler
    AaronMFC wrote: »

I really rate Busquets but i am not a fan of arguments like that. For me Sergio Ramos is the most overrated player in the world yet hes rated as one of the best ever because of his trophies won, he was rb in the dominant spain team because puyol and pique are better than him. Real have won champions leagues not due to their defence but due to a great attack lots of refereeing in their favour and even then Varane is the much superior cb. Yet if i ever say Ramos isnt great to anyone its look how much he won.

I think part of why people rate Ramos is the fact that he had that run in important games where he literally always scored a last minute goal to either level things up or win the game. Think he even did it in the CL Final against Atleti.

And I'd disagree that they didn't win the Champions Leagues based on their defences. Yes, they had Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema etc. but especially the Atletico finals I remember Zidane basically out Atletico-ing them by effectively giving them the ball and telling them to do something with it rather than playing into their hands and trying to dominate the game.
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero

I think part of why people rate Ramos is the fact that he had that run in important games where he literally always scored a last minute goal to either level things up or win the game. Think he even did it in the CL Final against Atleti.

And I'd disagree that they didn't win the Champions Leagues based on their defences. Yes, they had Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema etc. but especially the Atletico finals I remember Zidane basically out Atletico-ing them by effectively giving them the ball and telling them to do something with it rather than playing into their hands and trying to dominate the game.

I agree with your first point but that makes him a great cb seems to be the theory and it doesnt correlate. That atletico game you have a bit of a point atletico dominated the game but theyve never been a great attacking side. Even still atletico were the better side in that match and an offside goal for madrid surprise surprise and an atleti missed pen did the work. How many ties have real won 4-3?
  • wheelerdeeler

I agree with your first point but that makes him a great cb seems to be the theory and it doesnt correlate. That atletico game you have a bit of a point atletico dominated the game but theyve never been a great attacking side. Even still atletico were the better side in that match and an offside goal for madrid surprise surprise and an atleti missed pen did the work. How many ties have real won 4-3?

End of the day people notice attacking contributions more than defensive contributions, because it's easier to see someone scoring a goal and wheeling off to celebrate than it is to see someone anticipating a run and intercepting the pass. Although I feel like that type of player is becoming more fashionable again now with players like Kante, Wan-Bissaka etc.

Real did get a bit fortunate in the Atletico finals, I remember Diego Costa doing a Bobby Zamora and playing the final when he wasn't fit and them having to waste a sub on him for one of them. From memory Pepe should've been sent off in one of them as well, but feel like that applies to most games Pepe plays in.
  • wheelerdeeler
    This is my team now. Not actually playing games anymore and just card collecting so I'll just see what Centre-Backs/Keepers come out over the next couple of weeks. Going to see how much the TOTS Alphonso Davies is as well. Hoping not too much because he's Canadian and Bundesliga.
    N3SaMYu.png

Like how I said this and he's literally extinct at 550k.
  • They Caged Non
    Ramos red and yellow card record is a disgrace tbh.. how many important matches has he let them down by having to walk off the pitch mid game. I’m with Aaron, I don’t really get it with him at all, yes he is a warrior to go into battle with and has popped up with important contributions but his general defending has always been massively suspect, its now been proven that Ronaldo was carrying that team for yrs.

Regarding Busquets, not wanting to just sit here and slate him I decided to YouTube him.. I basically watched a 12m clip of him doing the same thing over and over, a turn away from a midfielder then an admittedly fairly decent chip ball across the park. Can someone point me in the direction of him doing actual tackling and proper defensive work? I’m not entirely sure we can ever rate someone as ‘the best CDM’ in a team with 85% possession in the majority of their games. One other thing I noticed is pretty much every single passage of play being shown involved a certain player in a number 8 shirt.
  • AaronMFC
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero

End of the day people notice attacking contributions more than defensive contributions, because it's easier to see someone scoring a goal and wheeling off to celebrate than it is to see someone anticipating a run and intercepting the pass. Although I feel like that type of player is becoming more fashionable again now with players like Kante, Wan-Bissaka etc.

Real did get a bit fortunate in the Atletico finals, I remember Diego Costa doing a Bobby Zamora and playing the final when he wasn't fit and them having to waste a sub on him for one of them. From memory Pepe should've been sent off in one of them as well, but feel like that applies to most games Pepe plays in.

Iv watched Ramos enough hes not better at one aspect of defending than Varane or Pique, when Piques form went downhill spain stopped winning thats no coincidence. Real more than just Varane coming in but thats when they really started winning as well pepe and ramos are very similar full blooded defenders who get away with far too much. If pepe played with varane their defence wouldnt be any worse.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited May 17
    The Kett are going Continental. Even if it is just the BTEC Europa League. Related note, does anyone know if you can change the names of Leagues/Cups etc. with the Editor thing you can buy?
    nG8abtQ.png
  • iHilarious
    13301 posts Has That Special Something
    The Kett are going Continental. Even if it is just the BTEC Europa League. Related note, does anyone know if you can change the names of Leagues/Cups etc. with the Editor thing you can buy?
    nG8abtQ.png

You can download a real names fix but I think it only applies to new saves