The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• wheelerdeeler
    7084 posts Big Money Move
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    Gutted, our best season in ten years and they're gunna end up cancelling it because some random person in China ate illegal bat meat.
  • wheelerdeeler
    It's going to be very annoying if they cancel the season and in turn that means we end up losing Mitrovic over the summer. I don't think we'd have gone up this season anyway, but there was obviously a chance as we're 3rd.

Should just declare the season finished and Top 3 in the Championship go up in my completely unbiased opinion.
  • They Caged Non
    6172 posts Big Money Move
    This break could work to the advantage of teams like ours with a lot of injuries.. which i suppose makes it even more of a farce for other clubs around us who dont have injuries and were just playing better.

• BristolMDF
    1140 posts Professional
    Right, time to stop making excuses and learn another language like I’ve been saying I was going to do for years.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 13
    This break could work to the advantage of teams like ours with a lot of injuries.. which i suppose makes it even more of a farce for other clubs around us who dont have injuries and were just playing better.

We've got Bryan, Mawson, Le Marchand, Kongolo, and Reed out at the moment. Not sure what'll happen with the last two though. We'll have to work out what happens with people on loan, people out of contract (and just transfers in general I suppose) because presumably the contracts expire at the end of May/June.

Depending on when the rest of the season takes place (if it does) we could be in a scenario where we (hypothetically) get to the Play-Off final and can sign players for it depending on what they do with the transfer window.
  • Tornado31619
    21205 posts Club Captain
    We’ve got Pogba and Rashford out injured right now, but the problem is that we were doing fine without them and were about to face an injury-ravaged Spurs side. They should be back at around the same time Son and Kane return.
  • Pwalie86
    1495 posts Play-Off Hero
    Should let Swansea games go ahead. We've been playing behind closed doors all season anyway.
  • BristolMDF
    1140 posts Professional
    We’ve got Pogba and Rashford out injured right now, but the problem is that we were doing fine without them and were about to face an injury-ravaged Spurs side. They should be back at around the same time Son and Kane return.

I think you might be lost chap.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3780 posts National Call-Up

Umm..
  • Tornado31619
    21205 posts Club Captain
    On the topic of players being injured.
  • wheelerdeeler
    The loans and people out of contract thing is going to be interesting to me when we cross that bridge. We might end up with people like Zambo and Seri in our squad for our run in (and at the same time lose the players we've got on loan).
  • BristolMDF
    1140 posts Professional
    The loans and people out of contract thing is going to be interesting to me when we cross that bridge. We might end up with people like Zambo and Seri in our squad for our run in (and at the same time lose the players we've got on loan).

Yeah I’m wondering about that. Afobe’s loan ends at the end of June and he’s just getting back to training now for what might have been a push for the playoffs. Does that mean if the season is still being played in July he can help Stoke avoid relegation?!
  • They Caged Non
    BristolMDF wrote: »

I think you might be lost chap.

Unless he truly believes United are going down
  • Hicksy2011
    16448 posts World Class
    Stayed at home and stared at the wall for 2 hours today
    Overall probably an improvement on what I’m usually doing from 3-5pm on a Saturday
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 14
    Think I might just adopt a Russian League team in the mean time. Don't want to be a glory hunter though, and Spartak who are the most Mid-Table have Schurrle so that rules them out. Trying to work out if there's a team with an obscure Fulham link.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who's resorted to watching this Halifax/Ebbsfleet game.
  • AaronMFC
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who's resorted to watching this Halifax/Ebbsfleet game.

You're not alone needed some sort of football fix.
  • wheelerdeeler
    AaronMFC wrote: »

Watching Ant & Dec now. I'm broken. I made my Air Bud: World Pup joke last summer, so I can't use it again.
  • AaronMFC
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero

Watching Ant & Dec now. I'm broken. I made my Air Bud: World Pup joke last summer, so I can't use it again.

this is after one matchday imagine if theres no football for months i need a new hobby ill go to the pub all day tomorrow at least.
  • wheelerdeeler

this is after one matchday imagine if theres no football for months i need a new hobby ill go to the pub all day tomorrow at least.

I think I'm about to get into Football Manager properly and go all in on it for the first time in about 5 years.
  • AaronMFC
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero

I think I'm about to get into Football Manager properly and go all in on it for the first time in about 5 years.

Im not ready for that still feel too betrayed by a swindon save I did about 4 years ago. Plus if i ever do boro i get sacked by about January.
  • wheelerdeeler

Im not ready for that still feel too betrayed by a swindon save I did about 4 years ago. Plus if i ever do boro i get sacked by about January.

I binned it off 5 years ago because I had a save where I took a team from the Conference South and I was top of League 1 by about 10 points, had won the JPT and got to the FA Cup Semi's and the save file corrupted. Heart broken.
  • Dizzy Bala
    With the virus probably not peaking until May/June, I genuinely think we're in danger of the football season being written off. There's contracts to consider, players having a break and next season to consider as well.

If they can't finish the fixtures, I think keeping the same leagues for next season with no promotions/relegations would probably be the best worst case scenario. Give the winners of each league their league title but that's it.
    - - - - - - - -

My other alternative is finishing off this season's fixtures between September-October then having a winter break in December. From January until May, run a half domestic season which would be about 4/5 games a month for the Football Leagues but each team would play 22 games (11 home, 11 away) so they'd play 1 of the teams only once. We'd run the FA Cup as well in terms of the domestic cups to allow for extra revenue. No League Cup, No Champions League, No Europa League, No Checkatrade.

Schedule the European Championships for June 2021, run them through until mid-July. UEFA get the majority of their money from the Euro Championships and with no UCL or UEL they'd struggle so they do kind of need to have the tournament.

The 2021/2022 season would then be from July-November (World Cup in December) February - June. Nations League from June-July with the 2022-2023 season starting in September.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 14
    I'd do what you've done with the finishing the games off in Autumn, but then just have the Euros this winter.

Then have a full season January/February to October for the next two years before the World Cup and maybe work out some sort of elongated Cup competition between January and May 2023 (maybe that British Cup idea that was floated a couple of weeks ago) or FIFA can do their boosted and actually relevant Club World Cup that they've wanted to do for ages while us Championship plebs get a boosted version of the Carling Cup with a Group Stage (1 Prem, 1 CH, 1 L1, 1 L2 in each group) with the Top 4 in the Prem at said Club World Cup.

The problem with essentially voiding the season even if you give Liverpool the title is Leeds and West Brom and teams in the Play-Offs including us would quite rightly say we're getting denied a chance at 100m+ from the Prem TV money and that's going to be months (if not years) in the courts. Likewise you can't relegate Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth because they could still stay up. So the season has to be finished off one way or another. Especially when you factor in that if the season was voided I have no idea what happens in-terms of parachute payments for us, Cardiff etc. in that is the voided season one of our two years of them and that would end up being another battle in the courts.

And the thing I've seen today about a 22 team Prem including Leeds and West Brom would go down a treat with teams in the Play-Offs, especially us as we're "only" 6 (and 7) Points off with both Leeds and West Brom still to play.
    Post edited by wheelerdeeler on
  • Ashy
    10815 posts Has That Special Something
    edited March 14
    Yep Fulham have West Brom and Leeds still to play and are only 6 points off 2nd with like 9 games left it's entirely possible one of West Brom or Leeds United crumble and drop out of automatics especially with Brom's poor form of late and Leeds usual end of season bottle. I can understand 4th and below because the gap is 10 points and realistically Brentford wouldn't finish in the top 2.

They basically HAVE to finish the season one way or another whether that is behind closed doors between May-June before the contracts end for many players but players and staff could easily still get the virus at its peak during this time.

Or wait for it to fully go away which could be the end of summer, September time and play remaining fixtures and Euros and just delay the upcoming season to August next year. Not sure how they deal with players contracts and transfers and such in this case because it's basically a whole season wiped off to get the schedule back on track
  • They Caged Non
    I didn’t even notice no footy today haha, was grafting this morning doing system testing at work then came home, played Fifa, ranted at Fifa, turned Xbox off, watched Netflix, watched YouTube, did a bit of cooking, came to bed.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 15
    Saw someone say it should be Leeds and West Brom up for 19th and 20th (not sure how you'd solve the game in hand for Villa, maybe go back to the last time everyone had played the same number of games) and then we have a Play-Off with 18th at Wembley. Which I wouldn't mind to be fair. Even though the Promotion/Relegation Play-Offs are always weighted heavily on the side of the top division side as evidenced in the Bundesliga. Although Union did beat Stuttgart last year. And I'm not sure when you'd play that in relation to next season either.

It's not been terrible for me today. 8/10 in FUT Champs, got two Icon Swap tokens done because you can do them at the same time (Squad Battles Brazil and Liga NOS). It's mainly just a change of routine when I'm sure most people on here base their weekends around the Football on. Whether it's going to a game, watching on TV etc. Give it a week or two (because there's no chance we're getting Football back at the start of April) and we'll have all adapted. Or we'll all be fighting with machetes over the last water resources in a post apocalyptic landscape like a reboot of Mad Max.
  • Dizzy Bala
    The whole thing is screwed up. We've got a new stand to be built this summer, no one is going to be working on that.

They reckon right now it'll peak between May-June so I think it'll probably be September before any of us can go to a stadium to watch a game again. Behind closed doors is one thing, you've got a handful of people there. You start putting 20,000.. 30,000 people in the same places and it starts spreading again.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Fulham still can't get a League SBC card then.
  • They Caged Non
    Saw someone say it should be Leeds and West Brom up for 19th and 20th (not sure how you'd solve the game in hand for Villa, maybe go back to the last time everyone had played the same number of games) and then we have a Play-Off with 18th at Wembley. Which I wouldn't mind to be fair. Even though the Promotion/Relegation Play-Offs are always weighted heavily on the side of the top division side as evidenced in the Bundesliga. Although Union did beat Stuttgart last year. And I'm not sure when you'd play that in relation to next season either.

It's not been terrible for me today. 8/10 in FUT Champs, got two Icon Swap tokens done because you can do them at the same time (Squad Battles Brazil and Liga NOS). It's mainly just a change of routine when I'm sure most people on here base their weekends around the Football on. Whether it's going to a game, watching on TV etc. Give it a week or two (because there's no chance we're getting Football back at the start of April) and we'll have all adapted. Or we'll all be fighting with machetes over the last water resources in a post apocalyptic landscape like a reboot of Mad Max.

I haven’t even noticed the football not being on.. I’m sure it won’t last but got loads of stuff done today. Even managed an hour on the decks which at home is a massive rarity for me, I rarely DJ outside my gigs.