The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Farlz
    8865 posts League Winner
    Just seen Villa's run of games coming up as well. Oof.
    We aren't gonna get anything from our next 4 :D

• wheelerdeeler
    7038 posts Big Money Move
    Farlz wrote: »
    Just seen Villa's run of games coming up as well. Oof.
    We aren't gonna get anything from our next 4 :D

Just hope Coronavirus gets the league cancelled and say you'd win your game in hand. Foolproof plan.
  • They Caged Non
    6133 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah welcome back @Farlz and leave that sodding VAR behind please.
  • Handy Andy
    5873 posts Big Money Move
    Coronavirus to stop Leeds is it
  • They Caged Non
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    Coronavirus to stop Leeds is it

You would gladly catch it just to ensure that happened.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Leeds have got Cardiff away this weekend. Let's get @ryan217 down there coughing on everyone.
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator
    Been a bit busy with work/life lately but hopefully I'll be online more again now (as long as a pandemic doesn't affect the UK and mean I have to do extra work but that's a bit unrealistic isn't it :s ).

Amazing news came out of the club yesterday. The supporters trust had until 27th March to buy the 50% of the shares allocated to them (5 years after reformation). We still needed £79,000 of shares (8%) but the club board voted yesterday to extend that deadline by a further 12 months meaning we should do it. Once that's done no decision can be made by the club without the Supporters Trust backing as it wouldn't be possible for any group of individuals to have 50%+1 of the shares. <3

• They Caged Non
    These closed doors games could become a bit of a farce if the Football authorities are not careful.. not sure what the answer is to solve it but its worrying.

That said it might make the big money clubs and authorities realise just how important fans still are, even if our money isnt needed at the top level any more.
  • Retro1989
    5092 posts Big Money Move
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »

He's fine, he just got ill from watching us play football
  • Hicksy2011
    16349 posts World Class
    Thank god for @GoodnightIrene
    As for us, more points dropped
    Makeshift defence = two terrible goals conceded
    Groundhog Day
  • Farlz
    8865 posts League Winner
    :D
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 10
    Chasing playoffs and having probably the best season we've had since I've been properly supporting so of course all the players are going to contract Coronavirus.

Was going 20 unbeaten or whatever it was before we beat you 3-0 a couple of years ago not better?
  • iHilarious
    13241 posts Has That Special Something
    Still in 3rd cmon the boys
  • wheelerdeeler
    I know there's games in hand, but 1 Point between 3rd and 8th in L1 is mental.

Don't send Rotherham up again, I want to play new teams next season (ideally ones where I can go to the away game).
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4246 posts National Call-Up
    Chasing playoffs and having probably the best season we've had since I've been properly supporting so of course all the players are going to contract Coronavirus.

Was going 20 unbeaten or whatever it was before we beat you 3-0 a couple of years ago not better?

Nah, the football under Harris was atrocious. I'd put our first season back up under Kenny Jackett ahead of that one and that was fairly poor too despite our position.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3773 posts National Call-Up
    Infecting the league with Corona, we're a massive club
  • Hicksy2011
    16349 posts World Class

Right lads I’ve had enough of this season
    Let’s just cancel it and start again next year
    No Leeds going up, no Liverpool title, Bury can come back
    Seems like the best outcome tbh
  • AtomicOdin
    1152 posts Professional
    Games behind closed doors could kill off a few teams from L1&2, some clubs at this level rely so much on match day revenue. Would be interesting if it were to happen, would the fa or efl compensate teams on lost matchday revenue.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 11
    Think the most likely outcome as of now is them postponing the last run of games, pushing the Euros back a year and then maybe playing the games over the summer. Not sure how that would work with the transfer window and when next season would start etc. though.

Especially because I think next season is meant to have specific dates to get the calendar ready for the Winter World Cup.

I'm not really sure what Behind Closed Doors will actually do to benefit anyone. You're still risking exposing the players, staff, camera men etc. even if you've banned handshakes. You saw it with Valencia fans at the Mestalla yesterday, people will still show up and congregate in a crowd outside the ground (thinking especially about Liverpool fans) defeating the whole purpose, L1 and L2 teams will lose the matchday revenue and it just makes it not as good a spectacle.
  • wheelerdeeler
    One thing I will say though, if I've sat through 7-8 months of Parkerball just to have the season voided and we have to do it all over again I will not be pleased.
  • Hicksy2011
    16349 posts World Class
    One thing I will say though, if I've sat through 7-8 months of Parkerball just to have the season voided and we have to do it all over again I will not be pleased.

I feel you so much on that one
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 11
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »

I feel you so much on that one

It'll be interesting though. Teams like Norwich will probably be begging for it because they'd get another year of Prem TV money, but then you've got Leeds who would be the complete opposite. Even with us, and how badly we've played this season we are still 3rd and have a chance of going up- and we wouldn't be able to keep Mitrovic for another year in the Championship which would obviously make it harder for us next season when we do have a chance of going up this season and keeping him that could be taken away from us.
  • AtomicOdin
    1152 posts Professional

Could you imagine the meltdown from the Leeds and Liverpool fans if they did that. Both of them finally look like they are about to win something only to have the rug pulled from under their feet at the last moment.

I'd be down for that :D
  • BristolMDF
    1109 posts Professional
    AtomicOdin wrote: »

Could you imagine the meltdown from the Leeds and Liverpool fans if they did that. Both of them finally look like they are about to win something only to have the rug pulled from under their feet at the last moment.

I think we could all get on board with that. I actually have no objection to Liverpool, it’s nice that it’s someone different from a non Premier League fan’s perspective.

But Leeds, honestly what I’d give to see them get screwed.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3773 posts National Call-Up
    Think the most likely outcome as of now is them postponing the last run of games, pushing the Euros back a year and then maybe playing the games over the summer. Not sure how that would work with the transfer window and when next season would start etc. though.

Especially because I think next season is meant to have specific dates to get the calendar ready for the Winter World Cup.

I'm not really sure what Behind Closed Doors will actually do to benefit anyone. You're still risking exposing the players, staff, camera men etc. even if you've banned handshakes. You saw it with Valencia fans at the Mestalla yesterday, people will still show up and congregate in a crowd outside the ground (thinking especially about Liverpool fans) defeating the whole purpose, L1 and L2 teams will lose the matchday revenue and it just makes it not as good a spectacle.

I think the English season will finish, only one really that is in danger of being suspended is Italy right now due to all the cases. England will be fine.

Euros is a tough one though, because aviation is being effected and you've got Rome as one of the host cities for example. It'll probably break out in some other countries too. I think they Euros will get postponed a year.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 11
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »

I think the English season will finish, only one really that is in danger of being suspended is Italy right now due to all the cases. England will be fine.

Euros is a tough one though, because aviation is being effected and you've got Rome as one of the host cities for example. It'll probably break out in some other countries too. I think they Euros will get postponed a year.

We don't know how bad it'll get here to be fair because there's new cases every day and it's not plateauing yet. Think I've seen La Liga's getting suspended soon as well. Remember seeing an interview with Carvajal asking why they're suspending the lower leagues in Spain but not La Liga or Liga Adelante.

Wouldn't surprise me if the PFA got involved as well in some sense to get games postponed in the immediate term to not risk their members.

I'm not sure how they can do a Euros all over Europe with people flying to different countries in the current circumstances. And the fact it's spread over so many countries which means a single country won't have to eat the lost revenue from a major tournament is an unintended bonus for them.
  • ryan217
    2917 posts Fans' Favourite
    AtomicOdin wrote: »

Pretty much every football fan around where I live support Liverpool so would be hilarious to see their greatest ever season voided :joy: