The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Dizzy Bala
    3781 posts National Call-Up
    I'm interested to see what Norwich do over the summer if/when they go down. They presumably don't have to sell because they only spent about 2p, but they do have players that other teams will want.

Thing is though, they sell a few players and they can offer big sums for Championship players who would get them promoted again.

Part of the reason why FFP is bollocks. You've got teams like us, Brentford and Bristol City trying to be competitive while having to sell their best player/s. You've got Fulham and West Brom who are still flush from the Premierleague parachute money and can afford to drop £10m on a player or pay 40-50 grand wages.

Same league, different playing fields. It is what it is, but when you can't spend to bridge the gap, you have to be very, very good.
  • BristolMDF
    1149 posts Professional
    Wolves were always the best set up of the three teams that went up that season, because they literally had a Prem standard team in the Championship. Think the only people they changed was Ruddy, Douglas, N'Diaye and whoever they had up-front before Jimenez (Bonatini or Afobe?).

Whereas we had to buy a whole new team because of us being so reliant on loans to get us up (and we spent very badly), and Cardiff didn't really spend to improve.

That’s the depressing part. We went pretty much toe to toe with them for half a season, and were playing them off the park before it all went to ❤️❤️❤️❤️, and now we’re lucky to have a shot at home against a top half team.

That game was the catalyst for our absolute capitulation that season and we’ve never got remotely close to playing like that since.
  • BristolMDF
    1149 posts Professional
    They’re actually going up this time aren’t they :(
  • wheelerdeeler
    7093 posts Big Money Move
    AK47 should be starting today. Don’t mind the team apart from that.
  • Farlz
    8891 posts League Winner
    Leeds didn't really fall apart in the end thats a bit boring
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4248 posts National Call-Up
    Our season is pretty much done now. Been really poor in recent weeks.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Did say AK47 should’ve started.
  • wheelerdeeler
    6 off West Brom, 5 off Leeds and 9 Points inside the Play-Offs with basically everyone around us left to play (most of them away).
  • Hicksy2011
    16472 posts World Class
    Real decent set of results for us this weekend so far
    Roll on Monday and Arsenal in the FA Cup
  • BristolMDF
    1149 posts Professional
    edited February 29
    Not a pen apparently :lol:

51B13BB4-DEEC-4663-85FE-30E36FA5C807.gif
  • NornIron
    13717 posts Has That Special Something
    Got our derby rivals in the semi final Irish cup what a day that'll be.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    I'm interested to see what Norwich do over the summer if/when they go down. They presumably don't have to sell because they only spent about 2p, but they do have players that other teams will want.

Thing is though, they sell a few players and they can offer big sums for Championship players who would get them promoted again.

Part of the reason why FFP is bollocks. You've got teams like us, Brentford and Bristol City trying to be competitive while having to sell their best player/s. You've got Fulham and West Brom who are still flush from the Premierleague parachute money and can afford to drop £10m on a player or pay 40-50 grand wages.

Same league, different playing fields. It is what it is, but when you can't spend to bridge the gap, you have to be very, very good.

Norwich don’t really strike me as the type to come down and do effectively what we did by signing Cavaleiro, Knockaert, Bobby Reid etc.

And Knockaert is all the proof you need to know signing that type of player isn’t a guarantee of success.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Can someone find out what page we all did our 2020 predictions in so I can dig up me saying Ismaila Sarr would play himself into the "best players outside the Top 6" conversation.
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4248 posts National Call-Up
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    Not a pen apparently :lol:

51B13BB4-DEEC-4663-85FE-30E36FA5C807.gif

Evened it out a few minutes later not giving us one for that stonewall foul on Molumby. The standard of officiating across English football just continues to decline, it's genuinely a joke at this point.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Thought our Ref was decent today to be fair to him. Wasn't the hardest game in the world to referee, but he let the game run and I'm fairly certain he didn't end up booking anyone.
  • AaronMFC
    1824 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice to have a saturday at home where the boro result doesnt ruin the day. Desperately need 3 points on Monday night but am anticipating a 4th 1-0 loss in a row.
  • Hicksy2011
    16472 posts World Class
    edited February 29
    It’s 2020 and Kal Naismith, Jamal Lowe and Gary Roberts have just helped a Wigan win away from home against the team top of the championship
    All 3 part of our L2 winning squad, what a squad that was
    Enda Stevens, Matt Clarke, Eoin Doyle, Michael Smith, Conor Chaplin and half our squad now that’s at the top of L1 Christ ridiculous talent
    Post edited by Hicksy2011 on
  • They Caged Non
    6173 posts Big Money Move
    Just had a read above about that Jamie O’Hara.

What is it with these media companies employing absolute cretins as pundits.. annoys the life out of me listening to them all ‘in love with the game’ when they spent their careers as big time Charlie’s being ❤️❤️❤️❤️ to people.

O’Hara
    Gary O’Neil
    Lee Hendry
    Darren Bent to an extent

All proper ❤️❤️❤️❤️.
  • Tornado31619
    21228 posts Club Captain

What happened again?
  • They Caged Non

What happened again?

It’s a bit pathetic how much stuff is being blown out of proportion now but in this day and age people should be aware you can’t get away with stuff like that.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited February 29

What happened again?

I don't know if it's true or not, but when I was looking through the story on Reddit the general consensus seemed to be Casilla said in reference to Jonathan Leko "mark the black one" in Spanish, which is probably bad enough as it is and I suppose "black" in Spanish is probably a bit more racially provocative than intended. Especially if it's heard a bit wrong on Leko's part and interpreted as another racially sensitive word a bit close to it.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited February 29
    Just had a read above about that Jamie O’Hara.

What is it with these media companies employing absolute cretins as pundits.. annoys the life out of me listening to them all ‘in love with the game’ when they spent their careers as big time Charlie’s being ❤️❤️❤️❤️ to people.

O’Hara
    Gary O’Neil
    Lee Hendry
    Darren Bent to an extent

All proper ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

Could be wrong, but I always got the impression they're there because they know the right people, have the right agent or both. Probably have mates in the different media companies from when they were playing. Wouldn't surprise me if they were feeding stories to different media people while they were still playing with a career after Football in mind.

Plus there always seems to be this reverence of people who have played before when 95% of them turn out to be awful pundits who only speak in generalisations, only adhere to the popular opinion that particular week (Ian Wright immediately springs to mind), play a character (Chris Sutton) or just don't say a lot in general. Thierry Henry was probably the worst example on that one.

Rather just have people talking about the game who actually know what they're talking about regardless of playing career. BT usually do decent with it, not so much on their Prem coverage and high profile Champions League games but they get things like the Champions League Goal Show stuff spot on with people like Raphael Honigstein.
  • Hicksy2011
    16472 posts World Class
    To be honest this is the first I’ve heard of any bad feeling about old Gaz O’Neil
    But then Boro did spend 5m on him only for him to be a sick note so I can understand why there might be some ill feeling on this occasion
    Don’t really know what went wrong with O’Hara he was incredible for us in the prem aged like 21 and then seemed to never get over us being relegated and him not being able to come on a permanent
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited March 1
    Think O'Hara probably just thought he was better than he actually was. He started off well with us, and then by October he was absolutely ****.

Plus him going on rants on Twitter about how his ex was stealing his kids just after (might have been just before) we got battered 5-0 by Brighton wasn't ideal.
  • They Caged Non
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    To be honest this is the first I’ve heard of any bad feeling about old Gaz O’Neil
    But then Boro did spend 5m on him only for him to be a sick note so I can understand why there might be some ill feeling on this occasion
    Don’t really know what went wrong with O’Hara he was incredible for us in the prem aged like 21 and then seemed to never get over us being relegated and him not being able to come on a permanent

Google about him purposely getting booked so he could be suspended to go to the golf, right in the middle of our failed relegation battle from the Prem.. absolute snake.

Plus he is was just generally awful, didn’t set up or score any goals and his passing was terrible.

Also his Mrs didn’t move up North so he spent his time nailing a stripper in Leeds who lived with one of my mates whilst he was at uni, like I say absolute cretin.
  • DelboyIRA
    386 posts Sunday League Hero
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    It’s 2020 and Kal Naismith, Jamal Lowe and Gary Roberts have just helped a Wigan win away from home against the team top of the championship
    All 3 part of our L2 winning squad, what a squad that was
    Enda Stevens, Matt Clarke, Eoin Doyle, Michael Smith, Conor Chaplin and half our squad now that’s at the top of L1 Christ ridiculous talent

Kal Naismith is now playing as CD
  • GoodnightIrene
    3871 posts National Call-Up
    I think the fact it would be near impossible for us to go down thanks to Coughlan and Garners family issues a month or two prior is keeping him in a job right now. 1 win (thanks to being a man up) since his appointment, absolutely woeful football, he is a coach not a manger.

Don't even know what the point in sacking him would be this season as I can't see who we'd get in instead, our status as a 17th placed team is basically locked in.

Gone from being second in the league under Coughlan to this, diabolical.
  • wheelerdeeler
    What chance do us commoners have in the Championship if this is the standard of officiating in a Cup Final.
  • BristolMDF
    1149 posts Professional
    edited March 1
    This is what I don’t understand about VAR. Obvious error is made, clearly those reviewing will have seen that it’s the wrong decision before the corner is taken, why aren’t they saying ‘that’s the wrong decision, award a goal kick?’.

They’ll faff about drawing lines to find out if someone’s shoelace is subjectively offside but don’t correct the most basic factual errors.
  • iHilarious
    13253 posts Has That Special Something
    16/24 points in a 9 game February is very promising - moves us into 6th as well. Will be disappointed if we don’t make playoffs now