The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• They Caged Non
    4688 posts National Call-Up
    Just heard sweet Caroline on the boxing haha, rubbish

Question time... best players you have ever seen live lads and lasses?

I’ve got Henry, Pires, Iniesta, Nadal, Zubizaretta, Hagi, Ronaldinho, Thin Ronaldo, possibly Dani Alves in there too.
  • wheelerdeeler
    6177 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 19
    I'll do it this way and make a team out of it.
    Manager: Ferguson
    4-3-3
    van der Sar; ?, Cannavaro, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole; Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, De Bruyne; Messi, Drogba, C. Ronaldo.

I'm deliberately not putting in Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard to avoid starting that argument.

Not sure about the Right-Back, just because if we're talking in-terms of how good their career was overall/how good their peak was rather than when I saw them play (which is the case with Cannavaro) I'd have to check if I saw Maicon play when he was at City. If not just chuck in Gary Neville.

The third forward could be about 10 people instead of Drogba, but he was the first one who came to mind. Could be Suarez, Hazard, Bale, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez etc. It would be Thierry Henry if I could actually remember seeing him play, but I can't. Would have to go back through my old programmes to know 100%.

Funnily enough I think I've seen us beat all of them bar the players who haven't played in England, De Bruyne and Hazard.
    Post edited by wheelerdeeler on
  • Rulistening
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Tragic.
    It was for the greater good.
  • JamieC
    811 posts Semi-Pro
    Top of the league!!!! (Ignore Maldon's 3 games in hand and let me dream :joy: )

Jboom98 wrote: »
    Anybody else sick of hearing Sweet Caroline the most used song in sport right now you hear it anywhere :s

Your not going to like this then :joy:

• They Caged Non
    I'll do it this way and make a team out of it.
    Manager: Ferguson
    4-3-3
    van der Sar; ?, Cannavaro, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole; Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, De Bruyne; Messi, Drogba, C. Ronaldo.

I'm deliberately not putting in Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard to avoid starting that argument.

Not sure about the Right-Back, just because if we're talking in-terms of how good their career was overall/how good their peak was rather than when I saw them play (which is the case with Cannavaro) I'd have to check if I saw Maicon play when he was at City. If not just chuck in Gary Neville.

The third forward could be about 10 people instead of Drogba, but he was the first one who came to mind. Could be Suarez, Hazard, Bale, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez etc. It would be Thierry Henry if I could actually remember seeing him play, but I can't. Would have to go back through my old programmes to know 100%.

Funnily enough I think I've seen us beat all of them bar the players who haven't played in England, De Bruyne and Hazard.

Ive left loads out like Juninho, Ravanelli, Neville, Drogba, Mascherano, van der sar, Petrescu, Xavi, Saviola, Navas (who was unreal for Seville), Reyes and plenty others.

Dihno was terrible when I saw him too 🙈

• BrentfordFC
    12292 posts Has That Special Something
    Jesus we've really outdone ourselves this week.

@Akinfenwaaaa I’d be gutted if I was any of those travelling millwall fans. First half we missed a pen and should of scored 2. then you went ahead with two goals and sat back.

Disgusted by your fans though. When our player went off injured I saw around 5 fans clapping with respect. And around 50-100 fans singing cheerio cheerio cheerio :neutral:

Other than that it was a brilliant game though.
  • AaronMFC
    1602 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just heard sweet Caroline on the boxing haha, rubbish

Question time... best players you have ever seen live lads and lasses?

I’ve got Henry, Pires, Iniesta, Nadal, Zubizaretta, Hagi, Ronaldinho, Thin Ronaldo, possibly Dani Alves in there too.

Only really have the prem players like ronaldo, hazard, de bruyne, aguero, drogba, gerrard, henry and a host of other mainly man u players tbf. Outside of them has to be Neymar.
  • My whole life has been spent watching League 1 / Championship so slim pickings for me, only cup games/friendlies against better clubs and the odd international.

Only stand out players I can think of in terms of real world class players I’ve seen live are Aguero, De Bruyne, Zlatan from our 2018 cup run. Saw Samuel Eto’o at AG when he played for Mallorca in a friendly.

From international games, best I saw would be Shearer, Owen, Scholes, Beckham & Lampard (only saw England live against crap opposition so all England players).
  • BristolMDF wrote: »
    My whole life has been spent watching League 1 / Championship so slim pickings for me, only cup games/friendlies against better clubs and the odd international.

Only stand out players I can think of in terms of real world class players I’ve seen live are Aguero, De Bruyne, Zlatan from our 2018 cup run. Saw Samuel Eto’o at AG when he played for Mallorca in a friendly.

From international games, best I saw would be Shearer, Owen, Scholes, Beckham & Lampard (only saw England live against crap opposition so all England players).

Aside from most of the Manchester City team, I would have to say Suarez when we played Ajax in a friendly ages ago. Remember him running the game
  • mott1993 wrote: »
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    My whole life has been spent watching League 1 / Championship so slim pickings for me, only cup games/friendlies against better clubs and the odd international.

Aside from most of the Manchester City team, I would have to say Suarez when we played Ajax in a friendly ages ago. Remember him running the game

Forgot about that game but I wasn’t there anyway!
  • BrentfordFC
    12292 posts Has That Special Something

:lol:

It’s warburton. He’ll get them to the playoffs and bow out with a loss :trollface:
  • They Caged Non
    I would say to anyone who likes travelling, try to tie it in with a game abroad, I love it... seen some of the worlds best stadiums in some awesome locations. With the added bonus of catching some great players too.

I’ve never seen an England game live @BristolMDF. Eto’o isn’t a decent one to have seen.
  • AaronMFC
    1602 posts Play-Off Hero
    Only ever been to one England game we beat Greece i think 4-0 in Steve Mclarens first game in charge. Team GB played brazil at the riverside cant remember most the brazil side but was class to see neymar they probably had other good players they had hulk and thiago silva but wouldnt class either as world class.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited October 20
    I've never been to an England game. Firstly it was because I wanted to make my first trip for Football to new Wembley for a Fulham game (mixed with just never really being that interested). Now it's working out if I can be bothered to go/when it's cheap enough.

Got tickets to one of the Euros games next summer though. Got the Round of 16 game, so it'll most likely be Italy against someone.
  • Farlz
    8488 posts League Winner
    Only been to one England game which was against Switzerland a few years ago when Rooney broke the record. Not a classic game but a good moment.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Find it quite funny that Samba's getting upset with Kieffer Moore timewasting after his exploits when we played Forest at the end of August.
  • Hicksy2011
    13264 posts Has That Special Something
    A lot of people in here losing to absolutely trash teams this weekend
    Not been the best has it
  • Retro1989
    4556 posts National Call-Up
    International Breaks and Manager of the Month can all do one.
  • My England games were

England 6-0 Luxembourg - Friendly - Sep ‘99
    Shearer x 3
    McManaman x 2
    Owen

England 0-1 Scotland- Euro 2000 Playoff - Nov ‘99 (2-1 Agg)
    Hutchison

Both at old Wembley, both school trips!

Then England 3-0 Belarus in new Wembley in a World Cup 2010 Qualifier in Oct ‘09
    Crouch x2
    Wright-Phillips
  • They Caged Non
    edited October 20
    My England games were

England 6-0 Luxembourg - Friendly - Sep ‘99
    Shearer x 3
    McManaman x 2
    Owen

England 0-1 Scotland- Euro 2000 Playoff - Nov ‘99 (2-1 Agg)
    Hutchison

Both at old Wembley, both school trips!

Then England 3-0 Belarus in new Wembley in a World Cup 2010 Qualifier in Oct ‘09
    Crouch x2
    Wright-Phillips

Crouch trumps anyone else’s world class players tbh

• Akinfenwaaaa
    4168 posts National Call-Up
    England games are honestly awful but I typically go to a couple every year. Expensive, dead atmosphere, just glad the football is actually reasonably decent nowadays.
  • wheelerdeeler
    I was hoping I'd get one of the Group games in the ballot for the Euros. Applied for all 7 (8?) games at Wembley, and as I've said above I ended up "only" getting the Round of 16 which will most likely end up being Italy against someone.
  • They Caged Non
    I wouldnt be travelling 250 miles to go to one i know that.
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    I was hoping I'd get one of the Group games in the ballot for the Euros. Applied for all 7 (8?) games at Wembley, and as I've said above I ended up "only" getting the Round of 16 which will most likely end up being Italy against someone.

I only applied for the semi's and the final, unfortunately didn't get any. Although saying that, prices were ridiculous so it isn't all bad :joy:
  • james2060
    2853 posts Fans' Favourite

I get a nice weekend in Bilbao :) Round of 16 too I think
  • AtomicOdin
    1135 posts Professional
    league 2 is crap. only put in one good performance over a full game so far. and we are 2nd in the league. had a few good halfs here and there, we also have around 10 players out injured. we sure as hell haven't performed well enough to be 2nd.

don't think it would take much for a team to run away at the top. get a run of 5 or 6 wins and you could open a big gap.
  • iHilarious
    13113 posts Has That Special Something
    Hoping for Oxford City, one of the two tiny clubs or Swindon tonight. Who’s everyone else wanting?

**** the Championship
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    edited October 21
    Gary Rowett being announced in the next couple of days. Really not sure how to feel about it. Experienced Championship manager but seems to be of the same mindset as Harris, setting up for draws, try and nick a win.

Still gutted Harris was so stubborn tactically. Could've had much better performances from a lot of players in the squad if he just gave them a bit of freedom and an attacking mentality.

Barnsley, Reading and Hull are my picks for relegation providing Middlesbrough get rid of Woodgate* before Christmas.