The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Dizzy Bala
    3702 posts National Call-Up
    Well RIP that Badou Ndiaye card I wanted.

Damn, I'm not sure what that does for the Bronze Pack Method then. Bronze cards are just going to be 100% pack fodder I guess.
  • wheelerdeeler
    6241 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 5
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    Well RIP that Badou Ndiaye card I wanted.

Damn, I'm not sure what that does for the Bronze Pack Method then. Bronze cards are just going to be 100% pack fodder I guess.

It'll still work, but just not as well/as consistently. The fitness cards help as well (if they ever patch the fitness glitch). Bronze Rares went up a bit because of that Marquee Moment SBC. And Marquee Matchups will boost some of them as well. Bayern's bronze Keeper went extinct for the CL Marquee Matchups.
  • TimRUFC
    3333 posts National Call-Up
    Dear me how the actual F are Coventry 4th in this league? 😂 Just wow, absolutely awful. When this team clicks and plays well no one in this division will handle it UTM
  • Dizzy Bala
    It's why them signing Pontus Jansson baffled me. That's a signing you make if you want to properly go for it because it sends out a message that you're a proper contender. But then after signing him they sell Maupay and Konsa (Konsa might have been before). Could see them cashing in on Benrahma in January if they're not near the Top 6 as well.
    I mean for him, don't think Leeds could get rid of him fast enough since Bielsa didn't like him. Brentford spent quite a bit to be fair so maybe they thought they'd be able to go for it more than they currently are.

They're not a side that should be in that half of the table though.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited October 5
    It's why them signing Pontus Jansson baffled me. That's a signing you make if you want to properly go for it because it sends out a message that you're a proper contender. But then after signing him they sell Maupay and Konsa (Konsa might have been before). Could see them cashing in on Benrahma in January if they're not near the Top 6 as well.
    I mean for him, don't think Leeds could get rid of him fast enough since Bielsa didn't like him. Brentford spent quite a bit to be fair so maybe they thought they'd be able to go for it more than they currently are.

It just wasn't a very Brentford signing if that makes sense. They're the club that find randomers from Ligue 2 and turns them into 20m players like they did with Maupay. And then they turn around and sign a 28 year old Jansson for quite a lot of money for a team with no parachute payments- but then they went back to signing randomers from Ligue 2 with Mbeumo.

On the last point, with the greatest of respect to Brentford they've consistently been overachieving for the size of club they are/the finances they have available over these last few years thanks to a mix of amazing coaching (especially with Smith) and amazing scouting. All they need is to have one bad summer replacing the players they lose and they'll be in trouble (basically the Championship Southampton).
  • JamieC
    811 posts Semi-Pro
    Lost our first league game 2-1 to Tilbury today.

Ever see a player get booked for clearly getting the ball in a tackle? Because that is the type of ref we had to deal with, so inconsistent and incompetent. :angry:
  • Handy Andy
    5793 posts Big Money Move
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    Bizarre game. Absolutely cruising at half time, Reading barely had a kick first half. Then come out in the second half, put ten men behind the ball and can barely get out of our half for 45 minutes.

Still, win’s a win

Putting Liam Moore at DM is the solution apparently :joy:
  • BrentfordFC
    12448 posts Has That Special Something

It just wasn't a very Brentford signing if that makes sense. They're the club that find randomers from Ligue 2 and turns them into 20m players like they did with Maupay. And then they turn around and sign a 28 year old Jansson for quite a lot of money for a team with no parachute payments- but then they went back to signing randomers from Ligue 2 with Mbeumo.

On the last point, with the greatest of respect to Brentford they've consistently been overachieving for the size of club they are/the finances they have available over these last few years thanks to a mix of amazing coaching (especially with Smith) and amazing scouting. All they need is to have one bad summer replacing the players they lose and they'll be in trouble (basically the Championship Southampton).

Agree with most of this. But based on the relegation side of things, I don’t think it will ever get to that right now. We’re in a better position financially and are moving stadium next year. Automatically means a bigger budget. We budget at a equal amount. We never overspend what goes out. Mbeumo has been on the scouting network for a number of months stretching to the beginning of January. He was actually seen as a replacement for maupay by moving watkins into the striker mould. I believe next season we can really push to get into the premiership which will be a big if.
  • Dizzy Bala
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    Bizarre game. Absolutely cruising at half time, Reading barely had a kick first half. Then come out in the second half, put ten men behind the ball and can barely get out of our half for 45 minutes.

Still, win’s a win

Putting Liam Moore at DM is the solution apparently :joy:

Not so much a defensive midfielder, more an attacking centre back.
  • AaronMFC
    1624 posts Play-Off Hero

Are Brentford still still doing the moneyball transfers or has that stopped. I mean to me Jansson has always been just a bloke who gives his all and gets overrated for it his genuinely defensive ability isnt that good hes just aggressive and thats about it. Could not imagine the pure statistical analysis that moneyball is making Jansson a good signing.
  • They Caged Non
    4879 posts Big Money Move
    Been DJing tonight, rolled in smashed at 2am with horrible ringing in my ears.. always nice to have a read through the lounge dissection of the days footy, I won’t say it helps me sleep but......
  • iHilarious
    13131 posts Has That Special Something
    What’s your best tune big lad x
  • They Caged Non

iHilarious wrote: »

The next one I’m mixing in ;)

• They Caged Non
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

I hope he is better at coaching then Robbie Keane.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Would assume whoever beat Leeds yesterday is in the driving seat at the moment.
  • iHilarious
    13131 posts Has That Special Something

Give us a cheeky preview then
  • They Caged Non

Give us a cheeky preview then

https://www.mixcloud.com/DjStuVC/

That’s my Mixcloud profile if you are interested haha.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Is it too early to welcome the Man Utd fans into the lounge for next season?

I'll repeat the question.
  • Farlz
    8553 posts League Winner
    Don't you just love seeing how much of a joke they've become. Through all them Fergie years I'd never of thought they'd end up this bad, it's fantastic.

Keep up all the hard work Ole
  • They Caged Non
    Farlz wrote: »
    Don't you just love seeing how much of a joke they've become. Through all them Fergie years I'd never of thought they'd end up this bad, it's fantastic.

Yeah the town I grew up in is flooded with glory supporters, who are suddenly interested in other sports now

• ryan217
    2895 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 6
    Farlz wrote: »

I saw it coming as soon as they gave the job to Ole
  • WFCBagnall
    71993 posts Moderator
    Imagine Man Utd in the Championship :joy:
  • Dizzy Bala
    Can see the parallel between us and Manchester United. Both Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson ran the clubs top to bottom for many years and were in charge during the most successful period in both club's history. Then they leave and it's almost like a vacuum where everything gets sucked into it.

There is an expectation on both clubs, based on things that it has done previously. I lose count of the amount of times I see non-Forest fans say we should be in the Premierleague and it's like.. based on what? We've had four seasons in the Prem since Clough left, 2 good and 2 horrific. The last of which was 20 seasons ago.

Manchester United's name and history is so much that finishing 3rd in the Premierleague is classed as a failure, let alone 4th.. 5th.. 6th. For all the recent success that Chelsea and Man City have had, the two biggest teams in English football are still Liverpool and Manchester United. Man U also have the biggest club stadium in English football.

Look at Man United's squad right now. Their best player is their goalkeeper and even he doesn't look as good as he used to.

They've got players like Mata, Young and Matic who were in their prime 4-5 seasons ago now. Pogba did very well at Juventus because he was playing with other high quality players but as the main man? No way.

Shaw, Lingard and Jones aren't even in the latest England team. Rashford is in danger of losing his spot (quite deservedly to Sancho or even Abraham). Martial is massively overrated. Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof, Fred.. I think even the likes of Wolves/Leicester wouldn't fancy it.

I think United shouldn't worry about the Chelsea's and the Tottenham's, they should worry about the Leicester's and the Wolves'. It will take them at least 2-3 seasons to rotate those players out, like it did for Liverpool and even Pep didn't get it right in his first season at City.

I know this isn't the lounge for Prem football, but it just goes to show you that expectation and reality are very different in football sometimes. It's why the Championship has teams like Leeds and Forest and the Premierleague has teams like Brighton and Burnley.
  • AaronMFC
    1624 posts Play-Off Hero
    Adama traore smashing city today hes a baller. Miss the days when our entire plan was give traore the ball and hope he dribbles through a team thats not an exaggeration either was our plan for a few months.
  • Andy99TradeZ
    14447 posts Has That Special Something
    WFCBagnall wrote: »

Only way we'll play Leeds in the league anytime soon
  • WFCBagnall wrote: »

Only way we'll play Leeds in the league anytime soon

Got a lot of time for this comment.
  • They Caged Non
    WFCBagnall wrote: »