The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Farlz
    8347 posts League Winner
    Why has no one from the Championship took a chance on Marcus Maddison? I swear his League 1 numbers are just ridiculous
  • Karlos
    24280 posts Club Captain
    Farlz wrote: »
    Why has no one from the Championship took a chance on Marcus Maddison? I swear his League 1 numbers are just ridiculous

15+ assists in the league for the last four seasons.
  • wheelerdeeler
    5986 posts Big Money Move

I remember us being linked with him during the season we went up. Probably nothing in it though because we don't sign players from L1/L2 because Opta don't track their stats in depth (although I think that's changed this season).

Always think it's a risk signing players from L1 though, because they could be a Will Grigg type player where L1 is just their level- and they're very good at their level. Basically what Cameron Jerome was with Norwich in Prem/Championship terms.
  • Farlz
    8347 posts League Winner
    9b01db0ba54d216261effbf14b19a62a.png

I'd say it's worth the risk
  • wheelerdeeler
    He should still get a chance considering he's only 25 (almost 26). Even if that chance ends up coming as a result of Peterborough going up.

Could see him ending up at somewhere like Blackburn if/when they sell Dack.
  • Retro1989
    4402 posts National Call-Up
    We were linked with him for a couple of seasons now, don't think it would ever happen though since their owner hates us.
  • wheelerdeeler
    I don't know if it's just confirmation bias, but I feel like there's a lot more players trying Bicycle kicks than there usually is. Tiago Silva (I think) tried one against us today.
  • They Caged Non
    4355 posts National Call-Up
    Fed up with Harris' negativity. If we had started with two up front, we could have comfortably won that game.

Two rubbish teams from what I could hear on the radio.
  • BristolMDF
    210 posts Has Potential To Be Special
  • james2060
    2826 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 25

Because he doesn't do any defending. And probably his off the pitch antics.
    He has a 2.5 mil buy out clause, and I think the highest a team's offered was 1mil. They don't value him as much as he's worth to us.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited August 25
    If Swansea keep Ayew and Borja Baston they could be in the mix for Top 6 this season.
  • strings79
    2025 posts Fans' Favourite
    i hate football right now its like groundhog day **** knows when we will next win a game :/
  • wheelerdeeler
    Saw Mourinho was at our game yesterday. Suppose if it doesn't work out with Parker we've got a good alternative. Wouldn't even have to move house either.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »

Said it yesterday, that was the one moment of genuine quality in the whole game. Rest of the game was us failing to play a killer pass/cross and Knockaert hitting the first man from corners. Was a 1-0 win that ended up being a 2-1 win.
  • wheelerdeeler
    Watching that Spurs game was genuinely exactly like watching our game yesterday. Must be something in the air this weekend. Or maybe it's just too hot.
  • They Caged Non
    Newcastle fans playing the Hokey Cokey. In out, in out shake it all about.
  • wheelerdeeler
    They only won today because I triple captained Harry Kane on FPL. Been that sort of weekend.
  • Apollo
    14242 posts Has That Special Something
    What's the latest on Bury, @Karlos ? Any progress?
  • GoodnightIrene
    3326 posts National Call-Up
    3 teams will have to come up from the NL as well at this rate.
  • They Caged Non
    Apollo wrote: »

It’s not only that, it’s the complete mismatch in finances where the wages of one player at one top club could keep alive pretty much the whole of league 2.

When Football decided on the premier league it made its bed to lie in, now 25 years later we are seeing the real fruits of its labour.

• wheelerdeeler

Obviously I don't want it to happen, but I'd be really interested to see how they handled this in that sense if it did happen. The two most likely things are more teams coming up from the Conference or them doing no relegation from L2 this season and that's how they get the extra two teams for next season.

Could see them doing the latter rather than the former because I'd assume the EFL clubs will be voting on it and some of the L2 teams will obviously vote for their own safety.
  • GoodnightIrene

Obviously I don't want it to happen, but I'd be really interested to see how they handled this in that sense if it did happen. The two most likely things are more teams coming up from the Conference or them doing no relegation from L2 this season and that's how they get the extra two teams for next season.

Could see them doing the latter rather than the former because I'd assume the EFL clubs will be voting on it and some of the L2 teams will obviously vote for their own safety.
    I thought about the latter but it just seems so inherently unfair on the NL team that wins the league, as well as the playoff winner. It can be so hard getting into the FL and imagine your chance being nullified because other clubs can't run their finances properly for whatever reason.
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited August 26

I thought about the latter but it just seems so inherently unfair on the NL team that wins the league, as well as the playoff winner. It can be so hard getting into the FL and imagine your chance being nullified because other clubs can't run their finances properly for whatever reason.

There'd still be the standard two promotion spots for the Conference. I just think the FL clubs will vote for their own interests rather than wanting to give more promotion spots to the Conference.
  • GoodnightIrene

There'd still be the standard two promotion spots for the Conference. I just think the FL clubs will vote for their own interests rather than wanting to give more promotion spots to the Conference.
    Ah yeah misread that I see, that seems like a likely scenario, no teams going down from League 2 but two teams coming up. Then we can repeat the whole process with Macclesfield next season.
  • Karlos
    24280 posts Club Captain
    Apollo wrote: »
    What's the latest on Bury, @Karlos ? Any progress?

Find out tomorrow.
  • ryan217
    2876 posts Fans' Favourite

If they do the latter then there'll be teams with little to no chance of making the play-offs whose seasons will be over in January, I can't see the EFL approving that as they'll want to keep the bottom teams competitive too.