The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

  • AaronMFC
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Long season ahead although anyone realistic knew that before a ball was kicked. On a positive note won 96 quid today.

    Yeah I’m getting buckled in for a frustrating season, I just hope Gibson doesn’t get itchy trigger finger and gives Woodgate a chance.

    Yeah the comments from some of our fans are embarrassing we're already league 1 if you listen to some. Looking forward to 2 home games this week and hopefully getting the first win to properly get started.
  • dannyboy
    12802 posts Has That Special Something
    Reading winning, guess every dog has its day
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 18
    Besic is the only one who isn't British or Irish on the bench as well. They'll be going for the full 18 at one point this season.
  • They Caged Non
    4355 posts National Call-Up
    Fantastic performance by Sheffield here, best of luck to them this season playing like this.
  • They Caged Non
    4355 posts National Call-Up
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Long season ahead although anyone realistic knew that before a ball was kicked. On a positive note won 96 quid today.

    Yeah I’m getting buckled in for a frustrating season, I just hope Gibson doesn’t get itchy trigger finger and gives Woodgate a chance.

    Yeah the comments from some of our fans are embarrassing we're already league 1 if you listen to some. Looking forward to 2 home games this week and hopefully getting the first win to properly get started.

    Yeah some of our fans think we are a ‘big club’ who are entitled to be in the Prem spending millions each window, pathetic.

    We are currently at our level and in the process of rebuilding.

  • Handy Andy
    5736 posts Big Money Move
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Puscas looks decent doesn't he...

    Very

    Him and Joao will hopefully cause havoc based on that :joy:

    only 1 game but that was unreal, so many new players playing as well so was surprised how good we looked.

    Gotta say that was embarrassing from Cardiff, just look disinterested
  • Ahmer50x
    17229 posts World Class
    Super happy for Sheffield United.

    Well deserved 3 points and backing my prediction that they stay up :sunglasses:
  • WFCBagnall
    69502 posts Moderator
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Puscas looks decent doesn't he...

    Very

    Him and Joao will hopefully cause havoc based on that :joy:

    only 1 game but that was unreal, so many new players playing as well so was surprised how good we looked.

    Gotta say that was embarrassing from Cardiff, just look disinterested

    Joao looks very similar to Adebayo for us. Handful, holds the ball up well, but end product just isn't there :joy:

    Puscas looks like he has everything though.
  • Hicksy2011
    12856 posts Has That Special Something
    Well done Sheffield United and Enda
    Proving you can have success without spending 100m
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    Fantastic performance by Sheffield here, best of luck to them this season playing like this.

    It's more on the Ref because he let them do it, but the timewasting got a bit stupid from them. Not blaming them though because that win will mean everything to them. I just remember Wilder digging a team out for it last time we were in the Championship, so it was a bit funny today.
  • iHilarious
    13061 posts Has That Special Something
  • WFCBagnall
    69502 posts Moderator
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Well done Sheffield United and Enda
    Proving you can have success without spending 100m

    Carey>
  • Hicksy2011
    12856 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 18
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Well done Sheffield United and Enda
    Proving you can have success without spending 100m

    Carey>

    “So a 25 year old LB in league 2 is good enough for the prem? oMg Hicksy u r most biased person eva hahaha idiot moron stupid person”
    Can’t believe it was a major reason you got stripped of the thread even though it was 100% the correct decision :joy:
  • They Caged Non
    4355 posts National Call-Up
    Fantastic performance by Sheffield here, best of luck to them this season playing like this.

    It's more on the Ref because he let them do it, but the timewasting got a bit stupid from them. Not blaming them though because that win will mean everything to them. I just remember Wilder digging a team out for it last time we were in the Championship, so it was a bit funny today.

    I don’t see the need to muddy their performance though. All teams do it and I wish I could go back to the days when Yak and Viduka were doing it in the prem for us, now we are just bang average.

  • AtomicOdin
    1134 posts Professional
    Nice to finally see a home win, first one since march for us. Good to see the big 3 all get a goal each as well. If we can keep Vaughan, Donaldson and Scannell fit we are in with a chance of top 7. Good to see the players looking happy and smiling for once as well. must be close to 2 years ago that last happened.
  • SomeNextGuy
    2606 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 18
    Great performance. Not a particularly good or free flowing game, but to say many thought that our style would leave us exposed against Premier League quality players, we've controlled that match and didn't give Palace a sniff.

    We went a bit backs to the wall during the last ten minutes when we should have just carried on playing our game, but our defending was more than good enough.

    Brilliant result, and we've barely introduced any of the new boys yet.
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 18
    Fantastic performance by Sheffield here, best of luck to them this season playing like this.

    It's more on the Ref because he let them do it, but the timewasting got a bit stupid from them. Not blaming them though because that win will mean everything to them. I just remember Wilder digging a team out for it last time we were in the Championship, so it was a bit funny today.

    I don’t see the need to muddy their performance though. All teams do it and I wish I could go back to the days when Yak and Viduka were doing it in the prem for us, now we are just bang average.

    As I said I'm not blaming them for it (especially as I've got O'Connell in my Fantasy team), as you say every team does it and it's up to the Refs to manage it. I just didn't see the need to do it to the degree they did it. Especially when Palace barely threatened all game, they could've probably got a 2nd goal if they just kept playing.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3658 posts National Call-Up
    Even Sabri was watching today, despite the fact we don't play Cardiff or Reading for months lol.
  • Alastair
    10029 posts Moderator
    JamieC wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    JamieC wrote: »
    First game of the season home against Basildon United and won 3-1! And 2 red cards.

    Super Ramadan score the first, Jolland scored a beautiful curling goal before getting sent off in the second half. And Ollie Hughes with a bicycle kick to score the third.

    Basildon played dirty, constantly fouling our players and getting rough, their no. 9 got a red for an elbow.

    The football season is back!!! :love:

    First game? What have you been playing for the last 2 weeks? We’ve played 5 already.

    Last week, no game. The week before that was our last preseason game. I think our league was the last to start due to us playing the least games out of everyone else (38 games).

    However our league cup has changed to a group stage format, so will be playing at least 5 games at the minimum unless we top our group, then we go to knockouts with the teams in the Premier division.

    How come your league has so few teams? Thought they were making them all the same as part of the restructuring? Or is that next season?
  • WFCBagnall
    69502 posts Moderator
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Well done Sheffield United and Enda
    Proving you can have success without spending 100m

    Carey>

    “So a 25 year old LB in league 2 is good enough for the prem? oMg Hicksy u r most biased person eva hahaha idiot moron stupid person”
    Can’t believe it was a major reason you got stripped of the thread even though it was 100% the correct decision :joy:

    Theo Hernandez>
  • GoodnightIrene
    3319 posts National Call-Up
    A a r o n C r e s s w e l l s h o u l d p l a y f o r E n g l a n d
  • Lard_Lad
    12608 posts Has That Special Something
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Well done Sheffield United and Enda
    Proving you can have success without spending 100m

    Mate, what a player, he’s improved so much in the last 3 years, the guy is so good now. This was just beautiful to see
  • Lard_Lad
    12608 posts Has That Special Something
    What a performance today, sure wasn’t pretty at times but we stuck to our style and didn’t sit back all game. Sure we’re a bit physical at times but **** me they go down easy in the prem. So proud of every single one of them, most of them are ‘championship quality’ at best apparently. Seeing players like Lundstram dominate a midfield and score the winner is something else, Baldock keeping Zaha quiet, so much so that he switched wings in the second half.
  • iHilarious
    13061 posts Has That Special Something
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    What a performance today, sure wasn’t pretty at times but we stuck to our style and didn’t sit back all game. Sure we’re a bit physical at times but **** me they go down easy in the prem. So proud of every single one of them, most of them are ‘championship quality’ at best apparently. Seeing players like Lundstram dominate a midfield and score the winner is something else, Baldock keeping Zaha quiet, so much so that he switched wings in the second half.


    Mad that we had both of them in League 2 3 years ago :lol:
  • JamieC
    796 posts Semi-Pro
    Alastair wrote: »
    JamieC wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    JamieC wrote: »
    First game of the season home against Basildon United and won 3-1! And 2 red cards.

    Super Ramadan score the first, Jolland scored a beautiful curling goal before getting sent off in the second half. And Ollie Hughes with a bicycle kick to score the third.

    Basildon played dirty, constantly fouling our players and getting rough, their no. 9 got a red for an elbow.

    The football season is back!!! :love:

    First game? What have you been playing for the last 2 weeks? We’ve played 5 already.

    Last week, no game. The week before that was our last preseason game. I think our league was the last to start due to us playing the least games out of everyone else (38 games).

    However our league cup has changed to a group stage format, so will be playing at least 5 games at the minimum unless we top our group, then we go to knockouts with the teams in the Premier division.

    How come your league has so few teams? Thought they were making them all the same as part of the restructuring? Or is that next season?

    We currently have 7 leagues at our level. Next season they are finally making it 8 (So it will be 3 Northern, 3 Isthmian and 2 Southern) so it will be 8 leagues of 20 teams.

    The reason for it is that they want to cut costs on travelling by trying to get the leagues as local as they can get.

    They are also doing it for league below, introducing 2 new northern leagues next season, which is why the team that finishes bottom in our league might get a second chance to stay up, as they are doing something where the 2nd or 3rd place team with the best points per game in the league below could play our bottom team for a chance for promotion.
  • wheelerdeeler
    5984 posts Big Money Move
    Only just seen this. It was what I expected given there wasn't a Red Card or anything, but it's still a relief.
Sign In or Register to comment.