The English Football League Lounge 2019/20

Comments

• Lard_Lad
    12611 posts Has That Special Something
    Not confident about this game, especially after seeing our line up.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3662 posts National Call-Up

Glad the FA have actually done something about it, it's not going to give us the two points but least if players know they can't get away with it anymore, it'll reduce the amount it gets done.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »

Glad the FA have actually done something about it, it's not going to give us the two points but least if players know they can't get away with it anymore, it'll reduce the amount it gets done.

What happened, diving? Because if that’s it then surely anyone who dives to win something has to face the same punishment?
  • Dizzy Bala
    Farlz wrote: »
    Really not looking forward to this Brentford game. 3-1 to them
    I'd be very surprised if you didn't win, they are awful defensively and you have some really good attacking options.
  • Hicksy2011
    12904 posts Has That Special Something
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »

What happened, diving? Because if that’s it then surely anyone who dives to win something has to face the same punishment?

yeh its the most bizarre thing, they just seem to randomly do it, Salah has dived 3 times this season for pens not been pinged on it
    think when they first brought it in, they went 2 months without using it and then the first person they gave the ban to was for a situation where they actually got hacked down, wasnt a dive :joy:
  • wheelerdeeler
    6000 posts Big Money Move
    Putting Middlesbrough on Sky Sports Action has to have been on purpose.
  • They Caged Non
    4360 posts National Call-Up
    Putting Middlesbrough on Sky Sports Action has to have been on purpose.

Funny we having been laughing at the irony for a couple of days

• Farlz
    8364 posts League Winner
    As expected.

It really is so embarrassing when you think how much we've spent and as soon as we lose Grealish we are truly abysmal. Talk about 1 man teams, never known it as bad as Villa.
  • Farlz
    8364 posts League Winner
    Oh and I hate Conor Hourihane with a passion. Truly despise him.
  • Dandingooo
    1065 posts Professional
    As expected.

It really is so embarrassing when you think how much we've spent and as soon as we lose Grealish we are truly abysmal. Talk about 1 man teams, never known it as bad as Villa.

Bruce has set you back years. Did the opposite to us really, proven championship and players past their peak in the premier league. Think you’ll be up there next season with a massive clear out.

Although I see villa fans turning on smith already, do you think he’ll last the season?
  • james2060
    2827 posts Fans' Favourite
    Don't we all
  • wheelerdeeler
    As expected.

We're not far off in the 1 man team stakes this season. Think Mitrovic has directly gotten something like 13 or 14 of our 17 points.
  • Farlz
    8364 posts League Winner
    Dandingooo wrote: »
    As expected.

Bruce has set you back years. Did the opposite to us really, proven championship and players past their peak in the premier league. Think you’ll be up there next season with a massive clear out.

Although I see villa fans turning on smith already, do you think he’ll last the season?
    Absolutely, the fans turning on him are giant ****

• Dandingooo
    1065 posts Professional
    As expected.

It’s moronic. He’s a quality manager who’s had Brentford + Walsall playing good football. Deserves time to build his own squad and clear out the vast amount of dross you have
  • wheelerdeeler
    edited February 13
    As expected.

It’s moronic. He’s a quality manager who’s had Brentford + Walsall playing good football. Deserves time to build his own squad and clear out the vast amount of dross you have

Although, it does have to be said most managers have succeeded with Brentford over the last 5 or 6 years because of the system they have in place there. Only one that's properly failed is that guy they had for a month at the start of a season a few years ago. Think Smith's a very streaky manager (although it could be argued most managers are, especially in the Championship).
  • Dandingooo
    1065 posts Professional
    As expected.

Although, it does have to be said most managers have succeeded with Brentford over the last 5 or 6 years because of the system they have in place there. Only one that's properly failed is that guy they had for a month at the start of a season a few years ago. Think Smith's a very streaky manager (although it could be argued most managers are, especially in the Championship).

Yeah I can agree with that too, their managers haven’t fared too well when they left too. Realistically though who could villa get better? I think Smith was a great appointment just needs time to build his own squad. Or he ends up terrible and Villa stay in the championship for another year I’m happy either way.
  • Lard_Lad
    12611 posts Has That Special Something
    All things considered that’s an excellent result, almost a completely new back 5 due to injuries and a complete formation change. First half not great but second half very comfortable. Madine was excellent, linked up well with Sharp and won everything, looking a very astute signing by Wilder. Dowell looks class. Clean sheet and 3 points huge after Friday.

John Egan btw has been immense this season, what a signing. Wins everything in the air and a big reason as to why we have the third best defence in the league.
  • wheelerdeeler
    As expected.

Yeah I can agree with that too, their managers haven’t fared too well when they left too. Realistically though who could villa get better? I think Smith was a great appointment just needs time to build his own squad. Or he ends up terrible and Villa stay in the championship for another year I’m happy either way.

Until he gets another job, any Championship club of a decent size where results aren't all going their way will say they want Jokanovic.

Although you could say Jokanovic is a streaky manager as well, but just a very extreme example of it.
  • Farlz
    8364 posts League Winner
    As expected.

Don't get me wrong, Smith isn't exempt from any criticism. I don't understand why we've resorted to rubbish football and seemed to abandon the possession style but there's a project in place now and I expect this squad will have a much more younger/fitter style next season.

Really blows my mind how anyone could turn on him already 🙄
  • They Caged Non
    And as if the country hasn’t seen enough of the rubbish we are serving up, they have put us on tele again on Sunday.. atrocious performance by all concerned, Pukis tactical decisions are pure Sunday League.
  • Dizzy Bala
    Sheffield United winning saved me 5 points on my Super6. Had put a draw but couldn't see Boro nabbing a goal.

As for Hourihane, I could see him coming to Forest in the summer if O'Neill is still in charge. Think Guedioura is about finished so we could do with someone to turn over the ball. He's Irish and can kick a ball long so he's perfect for MoN. 9 Assists and 4 goals is a pretty good return.

Plenty of games to play but Leeds-Norwich-Sheffield United seem pretty relentless at the top even when they have a poor result. It's back on the horse and keep on riding straight away and it makes it really difficult for the other teams to catch them.

The reverse is the case for 8th to 14th. They all have played a game more and sit 5 points behind. 5pts is a challenge but 8pts and having to rely on 6th/7th to drop off is way too big of an ask.

For us, we've got to beat Preston which we always struggle with and we've got to beat Derby the week after next. That's just to stay in with an outside chase.

Race for 8th is on boys!

66e9a788b82f55694d83a9ae29501c74.png
  • Bland Poobah
    1656 posts Play-Off Hero
    Got an odd sense of humour those Germans
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4123 posts National Call-Up
    Was reasonably satisfied with a point yesterday, but after those results tonight it really is starting to get a bit too close for comfort. We've reverted back to 442 and hoofing it at every given opportunity. We'll lose against Wimbledon on Saturday too.

Personally think Harris may walk/get sacked come the end of the season, regardless of the division we're in. I believe our players are of a quality where we should be comfortably midtable, he just can't get the best out of them.

Ben Marshall looks half the player he was last year. Can't believe we've thrown Ferguson back on the bench after he has been arguably our best player this season.
  • Farlz
    8364 posts League Winner
    2 points behind Blues, Christ it's going to be hell if they finish above us :weary:

give them that point deduction already @EFL
  • Handy Andy
    5742 posts Big Money Move
    Nelson Oliveira is a baller
  • AaronMFC
    1562 posts Play-Off Hero
    And as if the country hasn’t seen enough of the rubbish we are serving up, they have put us on tele again on Sunday.. atrocious performance by all concerned, Pukis tactical decisions are pure Sunday League.

Literally everything bad about Pulis teams the **** we play embodies. We also dont have the positives of Pulis teams either considering we cant attack or defend set pieces. We treated sheffield united like the 1970 Brazil team with no intention of ever winning the game. Would rather find something else to spend my Sunday on than watch us play 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 against blackburn with every single one of the midfielders being cms.
  • WFCBagnall
    69618 posts Moderator
    As expected.

He needs time.

With us he had a spell where he didn't win in 17 games, literally was on the verge of being sacked after losing to Coventry 5-0 and was second bottom. Straight after that I'm sure we were unbeaten for the rest of the season for like 24 games and just missed out on the play offs. Gave him abit more time and a year later he left us being top of the league.

I'd absolutely kill to have his style of play and team he built for us back, best team we've had in ages.
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    Congratulations to Reading on winning a game of football
  • They Caged Non
    AaronMFC wrote: »

Literally everything bad about Pulis teams the **** we play embodies. We also dont have the positives of Pulis teams either considering we cant attack or defend set pieces. We treated sheffield united like the 1970 Brazil team with no intention of ever winning the game. Would rather find something else to spend my Sunday on than watch us play 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 against blackburn with every single one of the midfielders being cms.

Im going out with the camera, can take some good photos and arrive home happy.. id rather watch the **** soaps than us at the moment.

Ayala is a mug, why would you do that knowing your partner went off injured and will probably miss the next game.. Howson is rubbish, cant pass. Mikel never got a touch in the 2nd half. Bringing Downing on is tactical suicide and Pulis is 100% to blame for that. Poor Hugill running about 30 yards from everyone all game, but again he offers nothing else but holding it up. Bringing Britt on every time we concede is pathetic, we basically aim for 0-0 and panic if it doesnt go to plan. Saville and Wing trying to attack but no support at all.
  • Handy Andy
    5742 posts Big Money Move
    Sabo wrote: »
    Congratulations to Reading on winning a game of football

cheers pal, appreciated x