How about the VAR?

WizardMD
661 posts An Exciting Prospect
Watching the Confederations Cup there is a new addition to check some critical plays like Goals, Offsides, Red cards etc.. this is called VAR (Video Assistance Referee) is it too late to add this up in FIFA 18 or do you guys think they will give is a good surprise and add it to the game?

BTW: Congratulations to all Chileans (Felicidades Chilenos!)

Comments

  • LooneyBird48592
    36 posts Park Captain
    WizardMD wrote: »
    Watching the Confederations Cup there is a new addition to check some critical plays like Goals, Offsides, Red cards etc.. this is called VAR (Video Assistance Referee) is it too late to add this up in FIFA 18 or do you guys think they will give is a good surprise and add it to the game?

    BTW: Congratulations to all Chileans (Felicidades Chilenos!)

    Portugal got sweeped out of the cup by penalties. 3-0 ON PENALTIES! :lol:
  • LooneyBird48592
    36 posts Park Captain
    I agree with you. I was watching the game and I understand
  • ManzGOTIT
    2193 posts Fans' Favourite
    Hope not tbh
    Would be so long
  • milan_7
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    Nope, wish it didn't exist in real life
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    The VAR is still not in full use so I doubt it will be included in the game, the Confederations Cup is being used as a test for VAR. It's also been used in Australia in the A-League, I like it and think it will be implemented in future. Anything to help officials make correct decisions is good in my eyes, other sports like Rugby - league and union use it and so does tennis, basketball etc. so it's actually about time.
  • Gfp13
    182 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I don't understand how it would change FIFA... the decisions are already made by AI as to whether it's a goal/foul/ red card... similar to the goal line tech it would just be a needless replay. The goal line tech shows replays when the ball is like 2 yards over the line but doesn't if it's just over the line in FIFA 17 so that's stupid anyway
  • ManzGOTIT
    2193 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gfp13 wrote: »
    I don't understand how it would change FIFA... the decisions are already made by AI as to whether it's a goal/foul/ red card... similar to the goal line tech it would just be a needless replay. The goal line tech shows replays when the ball is like 2 yards over the line but doesn't if it's just over the line in FIFA 17 so that's stupid anyway

    Add realism in terms of Cutscenes that's the approach EA would probably take
  • Gfp13
    182 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I get what your saying but it would just mean games last longer. Imagine playing fut champs trying to get through 40 games when every Incident is replayed and then a cutscenes happens... games in general would be dragged out twice as long
  • RedDevil123
    364 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited June 2017
    It doesn't work in real life as the confederations cup has shown, so I'm hoping the whole VAR idea gets scrapped.
  • bberger
    5122 posts Big Money Move
    It doesn't work in real life as the confederations cup has shown, so I'm hoping the whole VAR idea gets scrapped.

    it does work IRL, just now in that stupid way FIFA has implemented this. They should have had a look into NFL or NCAA.

    Key points of american football reviews are:
    - there has to be definitive proof to overturn the call on the field
    - referee decisions such as fouls are untouchable and only hard facts can be reviewed like.

    In terms of soccer this needs to be scrapped down to:
    - did the ball go beyond the goal line
    - did the goalscorer use his hands on the ball
    - was the goalscroer offside (only the last pass should be reviewable imho, or maybe only 5 seconds back or so)

    That Cameroon incident clearly shows that FIFA got the whole system wrong. Referees shouldn't be allowed to overturn their own decision on wheater to give a red or a yellow card. The only decision that should have be allowed in the review should have been "the wrong player got carded". And that one should have come straight from upstairs and now a video review by the ref.

    There is no way the review system should allow the ref to overturn a JUDGEMENT call.
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    402 posts Sunday League Hero
    VAR wouldn't be needed in FIFA 18 or any video game because the referee AI can never make errors! This isn't human refereeing. When for example an offside occurs the game instantly detects an offside position without referees or linesmen needed. Nor do you need VAR when say a ball marginally crosses the line inside goal because again the computer technology of the AI is programmed to detect if that is the case or not.

    Humans make errors, but computers never ever make errors. Hence why VAR will never be needed. Unless of-course you want it added for cosmetic appeal, then that is a different matter.
  • WizardMD
    661 posts An Exciting Prospect
    VAR wouldn't be needed in FIFA 18 or any video game because the referee AI can never make errors! This isn't human refereeing. When for example an offside occurs the game instantly detects an offside position without referees or linesmen needed. Nor do you need VAR when say a ball marginally crosses the line inside goal because again the computer technology of the AI is programmed to detect if that is the case or not.

    Humans make errors, but computers never ever make errors. Hence why VAR will never be needed. Unless of-course you want it added for cosmetic appeal, then that is a different matter.

    If and only IF what you're saying it's true, how do you explain madden? there would be no reason to check a suspicious play throwing the red flag cause AI would detect automatically any face mask or any doubtful touchdown, etc... agreed?
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    402 posts Sunday League Hero
    WizardMD wrote: »
    VAR wouldn't be needed in FIFA 18 or any video game because the referee AI can never make errors! This isn't human refereeing. When for example an offside occurs the game instantly detects an offside position without referees or linesmen needed. Nor do you need VAR when say a ball marginally crosses the line inside goal because again the computer technology of the AI is programmed to detect if that is the case or not.

    Humans make errors, but computers never ever make errors. Hence why VAR will never be needed. Unless of-course you want it added for cosmetic appeal, then that is a different matter.

    If and only IF what you're saying it's true, how do you explain madden? there would be no reason to check a suspicious play throwing the red flag cause AI would detect automatically any face mask or any doubtful touchdown, etc... agreed?
    I have never played madden and don't even know the rules of the sport, so I don't know. :) But the principles should be the same. The AI should be able to always detect with accuracy. It's a bit like AI in Chess where the AI at the highest rating of 3000+ never ever makes inaccurate chess moves and will always destroy human players.

    I've played NBA 2K15 where it has similar technology used. One example was when the shot clock was about to expire and the shot was released from the hands of the player by just milliseconds from the buzzer beater. There was video review system by officials in laptop screens shown in game for realism that was showing whether the ball was released just before the quarter length expired.

    I know that technically if this video review system was removed from the NBA 2K series the gameplay will continue as normal without it affecting any of the players. Since the referee in this case cannot make a mistake the AI knows how to program it so the decision is always accurate.

    Like for example a player gets red carded for doing a slide tackle challenge from behind and gets sent off or for example something inside the penalty area box and a player is about to score. These are red card offenses that the AI never gets it wrong. But in real life you sometimes see such challenges that referees only give yellows or no card at all. In this case yes, video technology is necessary. But I don't think that the AI can make an error in a video game when it is well programmed by special arithmetic coding.
  • bberger
    5122 posts Big Money Move
    WizardMD wrote: »
    VAR wouldn't be needed in FIFA 18 or any video game because the referee AI can never make errors! This isn't human refereeing. When for example an offside occurs the game instantly detects an offside position without referees or linesmen needed. Nor do you need VAR when say a ball marginally crosses the line inside goal because again the computer technology of the AI is programmed to detect if that is the case or not.

    Humans make errors, but computers never ever make errors. Hence why VAR will never be needed. Unless of-course you want it added for cosmetic appeal, then that is a different matter.

    If and only IF what you're saying it's true, how do you explain madden? there would be no reason to check a suspicious play throwing the red flag cause AI would detect automatically any face mask or any doubtful touchdown, etc... agreed?

    In Madden they purposely built in refereeing errors. The Madden franchise however has it under control and it very rarely occurs and usually is rather obvious.

    If the FIFA franchise impements this it can only be a) for visual purposes and will be a mess looking at the quality of the rest of the game...
  • Aidennes
    476 posts Sunday League Hero
    No.
    VAR is pointless in fifa considering all decisions made by AI anyways, would just fuel to the controversy of scripting etc...
    Please focus on gameplay glitches & server issues before trying to add extra cut scenes to a pointless addition IMO.
  • Walsgrove
    827 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Aidennes wrote: »
    No.
    VAR is pointless in fifa considering all decisions made by AI anyways, would just fuel to the controversy of scripting etc...
    Please focus on gameplay glitches & server issues before trying to add extra cut scenes to a pointless addition IMO.

    I remember in the older fifa's when the ball would come down off the bar , cross the line but no goal was given :D you would then watch the instant replay over and over moaning about it :D :D
  • GoodnightIrene
    3293 posts National Call-Up
    Like you say if and when VAR is heavily used in the leagues that are present in FIFA, only then will EA add it to the game.

    But like others say, since the decisions are made by AI already, the changes will be purely cosmetic and in gameplay terms, pointless.

    Maybe when you score an offside goal instead of celebrating before realising it is ruled out, you'll know have a cutscene where the referee checks with VAR before ruling it as a goal or not etc... but ultimately this will just fill more time with cut scenes that effect nothing on the outcome of the game.
Sign In or Register to comment.