The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC & console, this includes the changes listed here.

I am utterly hopeless against park the bus

JGCramp
1387 posts Professional
edited June 2017
So this is my first weekend league and I've been surprised to learn I've been reasonably competitive so far when my opponent doesn't park the bus. I've won two matches and lost another 5-3 that was fun to play.

But against park the bus I just can't do anything. It's like there are no passing lanes, my players get jumped as soon as the ball reaches them, and they get blasted left and right while the ref lets most of it go without making a call. I have no idea what to do, and it really takes all of the fun out of the game. I'm not criticizing anyone who uses park the bus. It's in the game and if it gets you wins then more power to you. But, man, playing against PTB just stinks. I wish EA would remove it because I don't personally think it adds positive value to the game.

Qualifying for this weekend was a surprise and I really didn't care if I went 0-40; it's all a bonus. I just wish these matches were more fun but playing against PTB is just a frustrating chore. Didn't EA add PTB because it supposedly added realism to the game? As if anything about FUT gameplay is realistic!
Post edited by JGCramp on

Comments

• SeanDCFC
    2482 posts Fans' Favourite
    Slow the pace of your play down, pass back to your defense if it gets too congested in attack. This will help drag there players out and you can try to find the gaps that way
  • maksi
    6617 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 2017
    They use narrow formation and custom tactic, you need to stretch them with wingers and also shooting from a distance is a must.

If you shoot a lot you'll get a deflection going your way eventually, just keep pressuring him.
  • DeCaje
    681 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Build up slowly, and most importantly: use players with great longshots. If they bring out their defence even one second late there's a good chance you'll score, longshots are pretty strong in this game.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    Thanks all. I think I get frustrated and begin to force the ball so I'm no longer playing patient, which plays right into their hands.
  • Prinzar
    596 posts An Exciting Prospect
    PTB should drain energy levels a lot faster to match the mental drain of such a precise tactic.
    I struggle with it too. Even getting longshots off can be a struggle because they close you down before you can even kick the ball
  • mindm4ster
    5094 posts Big Money Move
    try long shots
  • Notformeclive
    2453 posts Fans' Favourite
    You have to try and draw them out, carry the ball forward with midfielders (where there is more space) and wait until they bring people out before releasing the ball, otherwise your forwards will be massively outnumbered.
    Also don't be afraid to pass the ball back to players in more space (don't force it) and practice your shooting from 20-25 yards as shooting from distance is easier than it should be.
  • Alp_2760
    1952 posts Play-Off Hero
    It's for this reason that my 2 cm, cam and both strikers all have the long shot trait and great long shots. As well as ibra being able to win crosses.

It's a frustrating tactic to play against. The trick is to try and score as early as possible (easier said than done, I appreciate)

The first 10/15 minutes I'll tend to go quite gung ho, try and be on the front foot and score from outside the box. Tots Eriksen is incredible for this.

I find if I'm getting into the second half at 0-0, it's more of a struggle. Being hit on the break and losing in the 80+ minute, to someone's second shot of the game is annoying but it happens.

Taking it slow as said above can help, try and force them to come out a bit and make a mistake. Some peole will literally just stand still though and not use any second man press, so the tram just sits in shape, in its own half.

I've found resorting to 352, sticking everyone on stay forward, using crosses and being aggressive can help. I tend to switch to this after the 70th minute though and more if I'm a goal down.

Plenty of people seem happy to play for penalties to be honest.

When the game has been out so long, I don't understand how they aren't now bored. Can understand these tactics in the first few months but surely it gets old, fast?
  • DinoATL
    180 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    PTB is a pain to play against. But the one weakness for me ever since I've been playing FIFA Online (FIFA 10) is playing 5 atb formation. I just can't score against them and 90% of the time I lose. And the score is always 0-1 to my opponent :/
  • LeonStuddz
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I go 3-4-2-1. All my attacking players on the pitch from the 11 and subs. Put my pressure on 100 on the custom tactics and play high pressure, ultra attacking. You eventually box them in and something will go for you.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    Thanks for all the feedback. I definitely load my team with long shot takers because my skills are limited so I have to score from range. Against park the bus they all seem to get blocked though since I get closed down more quickly. I guess I need more patience until I spot the open man before shooting.

Not a bad idea to toy around with different formations, too. I'll give that a try.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    DinoATL wrote: »
    PTB is a pain to play against. But the one weakness for me ever since I've been playing FIFA Online (FIFA 10) is playing 5 atb formation. I just can't score against them and 90% of the time I lose. And the score is always 0-1 to my opponent :/

I struggle against 5atb, too.
  • DinoATL
    JGCramp wrote: »

I'm 15-8 atm with one DC loss while winning. Out of the 7 actually losses 4 of them have been against 5 atb. Idk but the past 2-3 WLs I've been seeing more and more 5 atb. Annoying af
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional

I'm 15-8 atm with one DC loss while winning. Out of the 7 actually losses 4 of them have been against 5 atb. Idk but the past 2-3 WLs I've been seeing more and more 5 atb. Annoying af

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I've had more success the last few matches looking for the open man, passing it back to the defense when I'm blocked in, and letting some longshots fly.

@DinoATL I just beat a 5atb team. I'm shocked. Never happens. I tried to keep in mind what I read in this thread - stayed patient and scored on a long shot and off two errors by my opponent. You're obviously a better player than me (I'm 5-8 so far) so if I can do it (even once) then you can definitely break down 5atb and grab some wins this weekend.
  • FixYourGame
    491 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I think the issue with park the bus is how OP the AI defending is.

I'm currently 10-2 and both losses have come against opponents that have switched to something more defensive from kick off and parked the bus.

I struggle more playing against defensive possession players. Frustrates the life out of me and I end up making a mistake.
  • YNWA1994NV
    1172 posts Professional
    I struggle with the same thing! Can't seem to make anything happen and always get caught with an absurd counter attack... incredibly irritating.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    YNWA1994NV wrote: »
    I struggle with the same thing! Can't seem to make anything happen and always get caught with an absurd counter attack... incredibly irritating.

I just lost 3 in a row this way - and the bounces aren't going my way right now.
  • HCx Rainbowz
    382 posts Sunday League Hero
    Park the bus gives you more time on the ball. Use the time to pick your passes better. Play deep, and pick passes carefully. If you do get charged down, RT+LT shielding helps. If your opponent plays PTB and holds off, run at them and ping longshots. If they rush, play quick passes and use LB for off the ball running.
  • fluffymnuffy
    12771 posts Has That Special Something
    Lol
  • DinoATL

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I've had more success the last few matches looking for the open man, passing it back to the defense when I'm blocked in, and letting some longshots fly.

@DinoATL I just beat a 5atb team. I'm shocked. Never happens. I tried to keep in mind what I read in this thread - stayed patient and scored on a long shot and off two errors by my opponent. You're obviously a better player than me (I'm 5-8 so far) so if I can do it (even once) then you can definitely break down 5atb and grab some wins this weekend.

@JGCramp I got to keep in mind "staying patient" against 5 atb. I usually get frustrated after I have 3-4 goal scoring chances, and then I start doing too much and concede a goal. Which seems to always happen late in the 2nd half (70-80th min). Thanks for advice, will try today. Currently 16-9 but was 15-5.