Am I the only one this bad at PK's?

TonyPicasso
467 posts An Exciting Prospect
Far and away the weakest part of my game, lost this year more than I ever have combined I reckon. Anyone else feel the same? Any tips? Because when I mean I'm awful I truly mean terrible. What the Spaniard's call "El Teriblé"

Comments

• ManTrain
    2995 posts National Call-Up
    Weak finesse shots when shooting, watch initial movement of feet for opponent taking kick. They stutter step to the direction the player is aimed. I usually move my player to be more central behind the ball to help and I'll change direction mid approach if it looks like GK is moving.
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 2017
    Gotta switch it up. Rb shooting helps a bit. Going down the mid or running up like ur shooting left but last second switching right post. Use Lt to studder RT to run. Mix it up!!
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 2017
    Always do shot power last second as well so they don't see how much power until too late
  • kfcbucket21
    6075 posts Big Money Move
    it's all mental.
  • TonyPicasso
    I'm equally as bad saving as I am shooting. Hopefully the system changes or is more refined in 18.
  • PelzyWelzy
    9455 posts League Winner
    I just hit and hope nowadays.
  • ozcs_69
    3108 posts National Call-Up
    skill games
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    For taking them in shoot outs just try not to be predictable. Don't go left, then right and then middle for example. Mix it up. Don't copy where they went.

For a single penalty, work out where you like to put it and stick to that. Every game. You'll miss some but you'll get to know direction/power.

I go about a yard to the right (keepers left) with barely any power. If they go the other way they obviously miss it, if they go the right way most of the time they jump over it.

For saving them.. don't dance about on the line. You want to be able to predict where they are going, not make them change their own mind. For the first one I always try counter what I do. Take one side step to the right (keepers left) just before he shoots. I save so many doing this.

Most people go to the right with a right footer, if they're hitting it with a lot of power, that's probably more likely.

But really, it's all just practice.
  • Austintatious
    2289 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nope. I'm terrible at them
  • Ch1cha
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    I rarely win PK shoot outs. If I have one I already know I lost the game
  • johntempera
    77 posts Park Captain
    Well I've taken the pressure off my shoulders and just wiggle left stick randomly while shooting. Works pretty well :smiley:
  • johntempera
    77 posts Park Captain
    And saving penalties, I usually don't move my goalkeeper much, maybe one meter off the center either way. So many people aiming in the middle.
  • Puskas
    774 posts Semi-Pro
    for saving pk's, majority of the time i just move my gk 1yard left or right and just stand, you will be surprised how many you save doing this
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    I go for the aesthetically pleasing penalty over the most effective.

Hold LB aim to the opposite corner to the takers foot and just over half power. Looks amazing
  • TonyPicasso
    Puskas wrote: »
    for saving pk's, majority of the time i just move my gk 1yard left or right and just stand, you will be surprised how many you save doing this

Few lads mentioned this, it seems it's a lot of people's strategy as it takes advantage of the odds the keeper will dive, making the shot creep agonizingly past. Definitely just going to have to find a way to practice.

Can anyone explain the thought process between using the joysticks to save high vs low shots? It seems I'm always diving same direction and always being just a bit short timing wise.