Do you think the Under 20's world cup accomplishment has been overlooked?

Sanchezzzz
5009 posts Big Money Move
I believe its a massive accomplishment and can definitely be something to build on as far as English football goes, which lets be fair is in a dire state right now.

International English football is on a downward slope and now you have a shining moment to build it seems people only want to make jokes and just claim it means ❤️❤️❤️❤️ all? Very confused.

Comments

• Heppers
    3503 posts National Call-Up
    For sure! Sad thing is that if England had beaten a team like Germany or France in the final rather than one such as Venezuela, it would have probably be seen as a bigger accomplishment to a ,ot of football fans
  • '96dc2
    9060 posts League Winner
    Who cares they will all fail at full international level.
  • Sanchezzzz
    Heppers wrote: »
    For sure! Sad thing is that if England had beaten a team like Germany or France in the final rather than one such as Venezuela, it would have probably be seen as a bigger accomplishment to a ,ot of football fans

Exactly, the term you can only beat whats put infront of you is perfect to describe that, I just find it sad that people are making jokes about it.
  • Sanchezzzz
    '96dc2 wrote: »
    Who cares they will all fail at full international level.

How do you know this then?
  • MaddMike3711
    12945 posts Has That Special Something
    I look at it this way, is it a huge achievement for those boys and should England fans be proud of it? Absolutely, but at the same time I wouldn't bet my life savings on England winning a WC any time soon either. Teams like Mexico always have great youth squads, and then when it comes to their senior side they can never make it.

Those players still have a few years to progress and anything can happen between now and then.
    Wether they have a serious injury, can't break through at a side, etc. you never know.

Side note, I really wish we wouldn't have sold Solanke off now, might have to buy him back for 50-60 million in a few years time. :sweat_smile:
  • Shaanxz
    23478 posts Club Captain
    Problem is a lot of them won't get consistent first team football at the required level
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    While the accomplishment shouldn't be overstated it's better than losing right?
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17270 posts World Class
    It's a good achievement but if they don't get first team football in the next few years its pointless
  • Fab
    19722 posts Club Captain
    good for them, but how many of them will be able to take the next step is always the case for these tournaments
  • Sanchezzzz
    Fab wrote: »
    good for them, but how many of them will be able to take the next step is always the case for these tournaments

Do you think some of them are gonna see some big moves in the summer for their career? Not to elite teams but mid table premier league level to see what they're made of?
  • hoban95
    66329 posts Icon
    I look at it this way, is it a huge achievement for those boys and should England fans be proud of it? Absolutely, but at the same time I wouldn't bet my life savings on England winning a WC any time soon either. Teams like Mexico always have great youth squads, and then when it comes to their senior side they can never make it.

Those players still have a few years to progress and anything can happen between now and then.
    Wether they have a serious injury, can't break through at a side, etc. you never know.

Side note, I really wish we wouldn't have sold Solanke off now, might have to buy him back for 50-60 million in a few years time. :sweat_smile:

I don't, we have better and he was a pain for the club to negotiate with.
  • hoban95
    66329 posts Icon
    Sanchezzzz wrote: »

Do you think some of them are gonna see some big moves in the summer for their career? Not to elite teams but mid table premier league level to see what they're made of?

No.
  • Sanchezzzz
    hoban95 wrote: »

No.

Hmm time will tell, don't think its as easy as saying no.
  • hoban95
    66329 posts Icon
    hoban95 wrote: »

No.

Hmm time will tell, don't think its as easy as saying no.

Most of them play for Everton, Pool, Chelsea and Spurs. They won't leave.

Solanke will be the only one and even then he's going to a team where he won't get first team football.
  • Reus
    23573 posts Club Captain
    It doesnt mean anything at all

Our cricket team won the u20 world cup ages ago then flopped at every world cup players from that team played in
  • Reus
    23573 posts Club Captain
    And most of the players that played in that cricket team struggled to make it in the full side

Basically success at a young age means nothing
  • KOSTAFI
    1607 posts Play-Off Hero
    It's def a step forward
  • Sanchezzzz
    KOSTAFI wrote: »
    It's def a step forward

Thats exactly what Im thinking it is.
  • JohnDoe
    12175 posts Has That Special Something
    Reus wrote: »
    And most of the players that played in that cricket team struggled to make it in the full side

It's better than nothing.
  • Reus
    23573 posts Club Captain
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »

It's better than nothing.

It doesnt mean anything

Not even a guarantee these guys are gonna make a good prem career
  • Blake
    4830 posts National Call-Up
    England teams haven't been bad at youth level in recent years but they never develop like they should because there's too much pressure on every prem team for instant results (money) and no one can afford to give them chances. Also you have these brain dead youngsters going to Chelsea/man city and not leaving til they're 21/22 after 3 sub appearances in the Mickey mouse cup
  • Cherriesfan
    1280 posts Professional
    Lewis Cook should be starting nect to Arter next season
  • DOMinant
    2415 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think it's irrelevant, if it mattered that much then Rashford would have played rather than qualifiers for the main team. I mean winning is better than losing, but yeah I don't see it as a big deal
  • FinneganFach
    2123 posts Fans' Favourite
    It's a nice thing for English football but you'd have to be enormously deluded to think it means anything.

Serbia won it before England, Ghana won it a few years ago. Even this year, Zambia almost got to the semi and beat Germany en route.

Most of those players won't make it in the Prem let alone be senior England internationals.

Enjoy it for what it is but don't make out its some ground breaking amazing tournament win and England will soon be the best in the world. That's exactly the sort of hype and over expectation that kills the England national team constantly.
  • Ofthewelsh
    3568 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 2017
    DOMinant wrote: »
    I think it's irrelevant, if it mattered that much then Rashford would have played rather than qualifiers for the main team. I mean winning is better than losing, but yeah I don't see it as a big deal

Agreed. We're the best players in the age group playing at the tournament? I genuinely don't know if the likes of Dembele, mbappe, Donnarumma, Sane, Sanches etc were there.

Edit: not an exhaustive list, just the first players who came to mind who might have been eligible
  • AllyAdair
    161 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    For the boys involved, yes well done. It's not a major achievement though, At the end of the day, it's kids football, no more prestigious than the emirates cup.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    Let's not forgot a lot of the top youngsters are playing in the qualifiers or even the Toulon tournament which you could also say has been overlooked. It's not exactly the cream of the crop for all the teams there. By the way, can someone tell me how many premier league matches that entire squad has started? Somewhere between 0-5? Says a lot about the state of the English game
  • hoban95
    66329 posts Icon
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Let's not forgot a lot of the top youngsters are playing in the qualifiers or even the Toulon tournament which you could also say has been overlooked. It's not exactly the cream of the crop for all the teams there. By the way, can someone tell me how many premier league matches that entire squad has started? Somewhere between 0-5? Says a lot about the state of the English game

Tbf we won the Toulon tournament as well. But i'd say most go to the u21's.
  • Orison
    69277 posts Icon
    When your final is against Venezuela it says everything about the importance of that tourney
  • Diggy
    15542 posts World Class
    Orison wrote: »
    When your final is against Venezuela it says everything about the importance of that tourney

What you talking about they are the next super power in football :joy:

It's decent but doesn't meen a great deal in the gran scheme of things