Fifa: the love affair is over.

PelzyWelzy
9184 posts League Winner
Ever since 1994 and the Sega Mega Drive I’ve had a long running love affair with Fifa. It’s probably what got me in to football in the first place if I’m honest. I remember vividly the long hours spent on that game, how you could score from thirty yards out every single time if you shot at a certain angle just to the left or right of centre etc. As the years passed and my knowledge of the game evolved Fifa followed suit also, finally arriving at what we have now; Fifa 17...

… The edition which has all but ruined 24 years of gaming for me.

I want to get the positives out of the way with first, mainly because they are few and far between. The introduction of SBC’s etc was a good move. No one can deny the game was feeling stale and these have helped keep people involved just that little bit more. However, as positive an introduction as they are they’re also riddled with faults. The main one being that Fifa was years behind other comparable games in doing this. Take Madden for instance.

And that’s about it if I’m honest. I struggle to find a single other positive.

So the negatives. I’ll no doubt miss some out such is their number.

Gameplay is atrocious. There’s no other way of putting it. Every single day we’re faced with thread upon thread highlighting this fact. And it’s not just us measly peasants who win as much as we lose and as such feel aggrieved more often than not. It’s the top Pro’s as well. You know when guys who lose perhaps once in 100 or more games think it’s bad that something’s up.

Passing right now is shambolic. An absolute mess. Every game there will be four or five simple passes which just flat out go in the wrong direction. Sometimes 90 degrees in the wrong direction. This is such a fundamental part of football and something you’d think they’d have gotten right by now but alas we’re presented with never fully knowing if a pass will head towards the player we intend it to.

Tackling… oh boy. The standing tackle button may as well not exist. It’s useless, utterly useless. Press that sodding thing and your player either will simply lunge at thing air, jolting around like he just got electrocuted and let the opponent glide past him or if you’re really, really lucky cleanly get the ball…. For it to then bounce off his shins and straight in to the path of one of five opposition attackers who happened to be perfectly positioned to receive it. I’ve had instances where I’ve tackled six or seven times in a row for the ball to just continue trundling on at the opponents feet as though on a piece of string. Slide tackle twenty yards in front of an attacker though and your player is most likely going to win the ball. It makes absolutely no sense.

L2/R2 dribbling?! What the actual **** is all that about? In all my years of watching football, thousands of matches involving some of the most talented players to ever walk the Earth, I have never once seen anything remotely resembling this pulled off. Not once. It defies logic, physics, the lot. It’s just not possible and needs to be removed. People now spend fifteen minutes with their fingers planted firmly on their trigger buttons crabbing around making it nigh on impossible to get the ball. At least with this games inadequate tackling system. I don’t blame people for this. We all want to win after all and this is something that can aid in that quest. I blame EA. It simply shouldn’t be in the game. If anyone can give me a concrete argument as to why it should and it’s actually a good thing hell, I’ll eat the laptop on which I’m writing all this.

Goalkeepers? Jack Butland’s the best in the game. Says all you need to know really.

Referees? Even less of an explanation needed here.

I could go on about gameplay, know I’ve left some things out (I daren’t even start on S/M/H, which I am now utterly convinced exists despite being a firm non believer before) but want to move on to some other issues now.

The web app. Might be an unpopular decision but this needs to go. People are forever complaining about rampant price fixing and rightly so, it makes the game just that little bit more difficult than it needs to be for every one. Until this tool is removed (as handy as it is) price fixing, bots, autobuyers call them what you will shall remain in the game. Coin buying also. Again using Madden as an example, they removed the Web App and as such the game benefited from it. There was no price fixing what so ever. Just none. Could snipe to your hearts content. EA are forever banning people for coin buying, market manipulation, call it what you will…. Whilst at the same time promoting the very tool that makes it all possible. It’s a complete farce.

Servers are outdated. Coupled with the games fundamental flaws it makes things truly unplayable at times. There have been periods this year where maintenance was occurring on an almost daily basis. Servers go down during big promotions, lag is rampant for 99 percent of the player base despite not experiencing a single issue in any other game. There have been times this year where it would have been quicker for me to uninstall then reinstall the game than apply contract items to a full team.

The chemistry system is outdated and open for manipulation. Again you can’t blame people for abusing this, the fault lays firmly with the developers. Formation changing and subbing players in before the game has even kicked off has become the norm. It simply shouldn’t be possible.

I could go on. There are many, many more issues I could point out but (fortunately for those reading this) times doesn’t permit it right now.

Have simply stopped playing now. Had my first games in ten days yesterday and despite winning the DKT on my second attempt I didn't enjoy a single second of it.

This is the first year I’ve ever not pre-ordered Fifa at the very earliest opportunity and I doubt right now I’ll buy Fifa 18 at all. I’ve never been as disappointed with a game as I am with this one.

How do you guys feel?

Comments

• BFC CLARETTRICK
    1173 posts Professional
    Yep fifa 18 is also getting a miss for me there's only one way ea will pull their finger out and that's if people stop giving in to ea's bs and stop buying this mess.
  • Batman442
    3760 posts National Call-Up
    Great speech, fair play to anybody who reads it
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited June 2017
    I agree with a lot of what you've written.

Personally the loss of the web app would be a big blow to me... I mean wtf would I do with my work day!? :lol:
    So that can't happen.

Passing is a major gripe for me, I play by building up attacks and playing passes to open players (you know...football), but in this game is actually hard to play a pass to an open player, because a rocket propelled Kante will fly out of nowhere, and easier to play a blind 180 degree turn pass fired at full pace through 3 defenders.

Feel your pain man, I'm also a ex-fifa 94 player (Amiga though :wink: ) and I'm pretty cheesed off with the game it has become.
    Batman442 wrote: »

This is pretty much why they make FIFA the way it is now, no one has the attention span to read 1000 words. :smiley:
  • FatZed
    851 posts Semi-Pro
    Completely agree mate :)
  • maksi
    6577 posts Big Money Move
    We can all agree that fifa 17 requires zero knowledge on football.
  • Batman442
    3760 posts National Call-Up
    Robes wrote: »

Personally the loss of the web app would be a big blow to me... I mean wtf would I do with my work day!? :lol:
    So that can't happen.

Passing is a major gripe for me, I play by building up attacks and playing passes to open players (you know...football), but in this game is actually hard to play a pass to an open player, because a rocket propelled Kante will fly out of nowhere, and easier to play a blind 180 degree turn pass fired at full pace through 3 defenders.

Feel your pain man, I'm also a ex-fifa 94 player (Amiga though :wink: ) and I'm pretty cheesed off with the game it has become.

This is pretty much why they make FIFA the way it is now, no one has the attention span to read 1000 words. :smiley:

I'd rather play the game than spend ten minutes writing an essay about what everyone already knows and says repeatedly on the forums.
  • blackerLVP
    940 posts Semi-Pro
    totally agree
  • PelzyWelzy
    9184 posts League Winner

So that can't happen.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean about the web app bro and agree with you. It's a very handy tool... the problem with it is that it's always going to make bots, autobuyers etc possible. It comes down to weighing up the pros and the cons really.. Personally I think it should go, the game would be better (if a little harder to manage) for it.
  • HelloDearie
    2238 posts Fans' Favourite
    Do not go quite far back as you, (FIFA 98 on my Mega Drive, then FIFA 99 on N64) but I have to agree with everything you have written.

Its a shame that in 2017, I would actually rather go and play either the 98 or 99 version!
  • Chubz
    3205 posts National Call-Up
    Man, you will then remember the catchy phrased when you booted up your sega "SEGA"
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well written and even though I don't agree with everything you said I can agree completely with the frustration this game brings on. I agree on tackling, L2-R2 dribbling is stupid, referees and servers even though I'm lucky and don't have issues. I deinitely don't agree on S/M/H but this is not the place.

One thing I hate is patching and updates that include stuff like stability fixes. The gameplay feels different but you can't quite say exactly what it is but it feels different. And it upsets me because just when I'm used to a gameplay style I need to change. Like in the last week or two it feels like the game is wide open, no midfield just really loose gameplay that's just end to end. I can see it but the patch note tells me nothing.

And on the topic of frustration I had a bad day on FIFA yesterday and have never had such a bad feeling about the game like yesterday. Despite that I still like the game as a whole but some parts are just plain frustrating, disappointing and just do your head in.
  • tikitaka33
    2284 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great post sir
  • reddevildanne
    138 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The L2-R2 dribble is the most unrealistic dribble ever in a football game. Wonder who came up with that idea really "hey guys, i have an great idea...what if we add a dribble technique that doesnt exists IRL? i can picture it infront of me...like iceskating with the ball glued to your feet forward, back, then forward again and then to the right, then to left...and you can repeat it however you want, the best part is...anyone can do it!"

Same goes with the shielding...where a midget with 60 strength can hold off a 90 rated chiellini and just laugh.
  • Diggy
    13531 posts Has That Special Something
    Fellow original Mega Drive player here & agree with almost everything you said

Great post
  • Soly77
    574 posts An Exciting Prospect
    agree
  • Chubz
    3205 posts National Call-Up
    Are you happy for the companion app to stay? Or by WebApp, do you mean both WebApp and Companion must go? I never use the web app, but only the companion.
  • reddevildanne
    EA should read this post. I mean really read this post, THIS is what the FIFA17 cover should say. Spot on.
  • PelzyWelzy
    9184 posts League Winner
    Do not go quite far back as you, (FIFA 98 on my Mega Drive, then FIFA 99 on N64) but I have to agree with everything you have written.

Its a shame that in 2017, I would actually rather go and play either the 98 or 99 version!

If I remember rightly '98 was one of the better ones way back in the day. Some of the great teams back then... Oh boy.
  • Flamstead
    2821 posts Fans' Favourite
    I've said for years the WebApp needs to go. The bots, autoclickers, autobuyers, autobots, decepticons etc all ruin the game.

You make some very good points, would love to see some serious amendments made next year. If it wasn't for SBC's, i'd have stopped playing Fifa 17 from before TOTY.
  • reddevildanne
    PelzyWelzy wrote: »

If I remember rightly '98 was one of the better ones way back in the day. Some of the great teams back then... Oh boy.

Was it 97 or 98 that had that Indoor Football feature? haha, that was insane!
  • PelzyWelzy
    9184 posts League Winner
    Chubz wrote: »
    Are you happy for the companion app to stay? Or by WebApp, do you mean both WebApp and Companion must go? I never use the web app, but only the companion.

Without fully understanding if the companion app can be abused in the same way the web app is it's hard to say really.

I imagine nowadays writing programmes for phones is just as easy as on PC, etc.

If they could make these things fully secure so there was little to no room for abuse (bots etc) then I'd be all for them. Are great on the face of it. Just don't think it's possible in this day and age. There's always going to be some smart ****** out there capable of making work around - coin buying and the like is a multi-million pound industry in its own right after all.
  • Puskas
    761 posts Semi-Pro
    Great post, agree with everything you say, especially LT + RT dribbling and the web app (no need for it).
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero

So that can't happen.

I'd rather play the game than spend ten minutes writing an essay about what everyone already knows and says repeatedly on the forums.

A lot of us are at work, so instead of reading a few words (took me approx 3 minutes to read it) I should break out my XB1 and crack on with a game of FIFA? I reckon that might solve my problem because then I would be sent home, where I can play FIFA all day. :trollface:

And also you 're on a forum if you don't want to read what others have to say then do one! The forum is meant for opinion and discussion, not troll like children criticising people for having more than two words to say,

BistroXII wrote: »
    Well written and even though I don't agree with everything you said I can agree completely with the frustration this game brings on. I agree on tackling, L2-R2 dribbling is stupid, referees and servers even though I'm lucky and don't have issues. I deinitely don't agree on S/M/H but this is not the place.

One thing I hate is patching and updates that include stuff like stability fixes. The gameplay feels different but you can't quite say exactly what it is but it feels different. And it upsets me because just when I'm used to a gameplay style I need to change. Like in the last week or two it feels like the game is wide open, no midfield just really loose gameplay that's just end to end. I can see it but the patch note tells me nothing.

And on the topic of frustration I had a bad day on FIFA yesterday and have never had such a bad feeling about the game like yesterday. Despite that I still like the game as a whole but some parts are just plain frustrating, disappointing and just do your head in.

Not the place... but M = definitely
    S/H = definitely not. :smile:

So that can't happen.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean about the web app bro and agree with you. It's a very handy tool... the problem with it is that it's always going to make bots, autobuyers etc possible. It comes down to weighing up the pros and the cons really.. Personally I think it should go, the game would be better (if a little harder to manage) for it.

I do remember back to the days before the web app and the 59th minute was crazy good for deals, and I remember spamming Silver/Villa, and picking up players like Delfouneso for 150 coins and selling for 35000! Nowadays you can't get any deals like that, closest I came this FIFA was picking up MOTM Cavani for 69k and selling for 200k, but that was a one off piece of blind luck.

So I can see why people would won't the web app gone, just for me personally I get a few hours a week to be in front of the console so the web app's a lifeline.
  • PelzyWelzy
    9184 posts League Winner
    @Diggy - Cheer bro. How's your banning situation going by the way? Any resolution to that yet?

To everyone else agreeing (far too many of you to tag everyone, haha)... cheers guys. Appreciate the support :smile:
  • PelzyWelzy
    9184 posts League Winner
    @Robes - you're probably right about the M part of those forbidden words tbh, but as you say we dare not discuss it :wink:
  • Ch1cha
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 2017
    I do not agree, the game is great. Although my experience doesn't reach as far as yours, but I have been playing Fifa online ever since 2005 without skipping a single year. Seen it all, from the time that UT was just a paid add-on untill now where it's possibly their biggest cashcow. Yes, the game has it faults, but that has been the case every single year. These threads aren't unique in the slightest. They don't have to be ofcours as you are just expressing your feeling. But there will always be people complaining about the game, like everyone is saying how great Fifa 11/12/13 were back when everyone was hacked left, right and center. And by that I mean legit 'hacking', not to mention the trazillion injuries in Fifa 12, the endless supply of perfect lobbed balls on 13 or the pace of Fifa 11. Or even before that where literally every finesse shot went in

There are always 'faults' within the game people try and 'exploit' as you will. Usually the ones complaining are the ones that can't coop with the changes. But that doesn't make the game bad
  • Diggy
    13531 posts Has That Special Something
    @Diggy - Cheer bro. How's your banning situation going by the way? Any resolution to that yet?

To everyone else agreeing (far too many of you to tag everyone, haha)... cheers guys. Appreciate the support :smile:

Account still locked :(
  • HulkSmashPotato
    284 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited June 2017
    dont worry it will all be fixed......

They are bringing in shakria to make it more realistic.pique will run round with a bonner
  • Shutup
    2310 posts Fans' Favourite
    Empathise with the passing aggro. Try to play a passing game and you're screwed if there is the slightest lag. Even if there's not you're done over by nonsense high pressure tackles or wayward passes.

Game rewards those that play the wrong way
  • PelzyWelzy
    9184 posts League Winner
    @Ch1cha - that's fair enough bro, I'm actually glad people out there still enjoy the game (even though I personally struggle to see how, but we all have out differences at the end of the day :smile:).

You're right about there always being faults in the game. I can think of something open for abuse (like the lobbed through balls of yesteryear) in pretty much every edition... I just can't remember the key fundamentals of the game being quite as messed up as they are in this edition. Everything' just feels a little bit substandard, from tackling to passing to player switching.

If only one of these problems existed could probably accept it and play on but the fact that there are issues with all of them... I dunno man, just kills the game for me.

Ps. The not being able to cope part - probably not wrong, I am getting on a bit now. These kids are hard to keep up with :joy: Solid Div 1 player and WL regular though (E3 is my highest finish), so am not all that bad... in fact win a lot more than I lose and still can't enjoy it!