Internet Help...

AlexM1218
715 posts Semi-Pro
So my internet connection is bad. Like unusable at times. Paying for the best non-business plan possible, so there's no reason it should be this bad.

It will be fine all day, then out of nowhere, just sucks for 2 hours straight, then back to normal. Does this 3-4 times a day, every day. It's never on a consistent schedule either.

What are some ideas as to why this happens?

Comments

• coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Switch it on and off
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    In all seriousness, i immediately have a few questions.

1. How are you connecting the Xbox?
    2. Is it just the Xbox that suffers?

If the answer to question 2 is no, then you should be ringing your provider. Get them to test the line, or do ping traces etc. Tell them it's unacceptable and you are not happy with your current service.
  • heefmondo
    1569 posts Play-Off Hero
    what provider are you with?
  • YOLOT0URE
    6969 posts Big Money Move
    Have you contacted your provider? I had issues with sky and contacted them directly and they could see that my internet was dropping out and send some new hardware at no cost problem solved
  • AlexM1218
    715 posts Semi-Pro
    coatsy2008 wrote: »

If the answer to question 2 is no, then you should be ringing your provider. Get them to test the line, or do ping traces etc. Tell them it's unacceptable and you are not happy with your current service.

Wireless connection--only have a few places in my house to connect the router/modem, none of which are in a great area to play video games :D

And no, it's all devices. Brought provider out 4-5 times, they've said that there is evidence of intermittent signal loss. Tried doing some repairs, but nothing has worked yet.
    heefmondo wrote: »

Charter Spectrum, believe it is a Midwest USA based company. Only other option where I live is DSL, which I don't know much about.
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Have you contacted your provider? I had issues with sky and contacted them directly and they could see that my internet was dropping out and send some new hardware at no cost problem solved

Yeah, as stated above they found evidence of intermittent signal loss, tried to do some repairs, but hasn't improved at all. Every time they come out, it's the same cycle--blame my router, I say that's not the issue and request someone to come look at our connections and everything. When they first get here, they can't find anything. Then upon further investigation, find intermittent signal loss. They bring someone else out, say that he is going to fix it, and that's that. Customer support **** sucks with this company, and they know it. Very similar to EA, as both know that they have the market locked down and we can't do anything about it
  • Worm
    2084 posts Fans' Favourite
    AlexM1218 wrote: »

Wireless connection--only have a few places in my house to connect the router/modem, none of which are in a great area to play video games :D

And no, it's all devices. Brought provider out 4-5 times, they've said that there is evidence of intermittent signal loss. Tried doing some repairs, but nothing has worked yet.

Charter Spectrum, believe it is a Midwest USA based company. Only other option where I live is DSL, which I don't know much about.

Yeah, as stated above they found evidence of intermittent signal loss, tried to do some repairs, but hasn't improved at all. Every time they come out, it's the same cycle--blame my router, I say that's not the issue and request someone to come look at our connections and everything. When they first get here, they can't find anything. Then upon further investigation, find intermittent signal loss. They bring someone else out, say that he is going to fix it, and that's that. Customer support **** sucks with this company, and they know it. Very similar to EA, as both know that they have the market locked down and we can't do anything about it

I'll try to help you out here.
    1. Is the router your own?
    2. Is the modem your own?
    3. Is it a combo router/modem?
    4. Are your CAT cables old?
    5. Have you checked your splitters and the nuts on them to make sure they're tight?
    6. Nuts tight on back of modem?
    7. How old are the splitters?
    8. Have you checked the cable wiring in your home to make sure there are no breaks in the insulation of the cable or kinks on a corner?
    9. Are you using a signal amplifier or booster?
  • AlexM1218
    715 posts Semi-Pro
    Worm wrote: »

5. Have you checked your splitters and the nuts on them to make sure they're tight?
    8. Have you checked the cable wiring in your home to make sure there are no breaks in the insulation of the cable or kinks on a corner?

I'll answer these as best I can, not very familiar with internet technology :#

1. Yes- AirPort Extreme I believe (yes, have heard that Apple routers aren't the best, but it can definitely do a lot better than what I'm getting rn)
    2. No, it is the one the ISP gave provided
    3. Maybe? Use have two different devices hooked up, the modem and router
    4. No clue
    5. Splitters? Have checked the nuts
    6. Yes
    7. Don't know what they are
    8. Yeah, that's one of the first things I check when it goes out
    9. I think so, we have a wifi extender thing, Airport Express
  • Worm

1. Yes- AirPort Extreme I believe (yes, have heard that Apple routers aren't the best, but it can definitely do a lot better than what I'm getting rn)
    4. No clue
    6. Yes

Try this to improve the connection.
    1. Do this for your router. Also make sure your firmware is up to date. Apple + MS usually means a conflict. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6067030?tstart=0
    2. I would recommend buying your own modem and saving the money. You can get a good one for 80 bucks, that's going to pay for itself in 6 months when you get the charge for renting their crap modem off your bill.
    3. Don't worry about CAT cables
    4. Splitters are where the cable will come into your house. The main line will hook into a splitter, it will go to the tv's and the modem. Make sure the nuts on it are tight. Buy a new one when you find it, they're like 5 bucks. Get a basic one, you don't even need gold plated.
    5. That extender likely isn't the problem

UPDATE THE FIRMWARE.

Your likely culprit is your wifi and something creating signal interference in your home. Home phones, microwave, neighbors wifi, baby monitors, bluetooth, mirrors, garage door openers, wireless speakers, even people......all create interference. If you want stability at all times you need to go wired. You can improve it and make it good but wired eliminates a lot of that list unless the wires go right over/beside something.

Splitter pic.
    splitter-hero.png
  • AlexM1218
    715 posts Semi-Pro

4. No clue
    6. Yes

1. Do this for your router. Also make sure your firmware is up to date. Apple + MS usually means a conflict. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6067030?tstart=0
    2. I would recommend buying your own modem and saving the money. You can get a good one for 80 bucks, that's going to pay for itself in 6 months when you get the charge for renting their crap modem off your bill.
    4. Splitters are where the cable will come into your house. The main line will hook into a splitter, it will go to the tv's and the modem. Make sure the nuts on it are tight. Buy a new one when you find it, they're like 5 bucks. Get a basic one, you don't even need gold plated.

UPDATE THE FIRMWARE.

Your likely culprit is your wifi and something creating signal interference in your home. Home phones, microwave, neighbors wifi, baby monitors, bluetooth, mirrors, garage door openers, wireless speakers, even people......all create interference. If you want stability at all times you need to go wired. You can improve it and make it good but wired eliminates a lot of that list unless the wires go right over/beside something.

Splitter pic.
    splitter-hero.png

thanks, I'll try all this tomorrow! A lot more helpful than anyone that has come out to fix it :) :D
  • Worm

4. No clue
    6. Yes

UPDATE THE FIRMWARE.

Splitter pic.
    splitter-hero.png

thanks, I'll try all this tomorrow! A lot more helpful than anyone that has come out to fix it :) :D

Just try to find what is happening when you get the packet loss issues signal wise. Could be a lot of things. Can also try changing the channel on the router. Just make sure you update the firmware if possible.