My first WL results - thoughts and thanks

matriquetra
221 posts Has Potential To Be Special
https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/275885/1st-wl-experience-incoming-need-some-advice#latest
So after my last thread and all of the helpful advice i was given I wanted to share my thoughts and results:

3d5fb06806b915d4d22e57ebc33104fc.png

Taking on people's advice I did quit quite a few games early when going down 2/3 goals in the first 30 minutes, Switched out tolisso for gonalons in my first team to provide at least one solid anchor in midfield who could win more duels in the air and after a 1-9 ratio in my first 10 games, realising that playing with the second team in rotation for fitness just wasn't cutting it :lol:

In hindsight now i wish i took on the advice earlier as i had to fight my way into 14 wins on the last game, winning after ET on penalties :blush:

Overall though im happy with this being a good starting point definitely a great learning curve for next weekend assuming I can re-qualify :tired_face:

I don't really have many complaints with the gameply, learned that playing nights seems more competitve, mornings seemed easier, the standard of player really is a massive leap up from seasons. Great experience for me, as I'm not the best of players but enjoyed the pressure of dealing with aggressive/ counter players.

The style of play when infront of goal is alot more direct and really felt like i learned the importance of learning different styles of play; switching the play on pressure players created space and time to create better chances. Being the aggressor and keeping possession in their half forces mistakes and creates opportunities i wouldn't normally have, mixing up wing play so I'm not always cutting in and attempting a few more crosses (esp to Embolo... guys a force in the air.) seemed to make the times I would mcgeady and shoot in the box more effective.

While I can see the complaints people make about player abuse, i think it gives you an advantage and isn't really much different to divisions. These players aren't invincible, they have weaknesses you just need to try different things to find them. What I find funnier is people making early subs to bring on the musa/ vardy brigade and taking off expensive sbc's in their place.

There are some real class players out there too, with some incredible teams. I was genuinely shocked at the amount of variety and craft in people's teams. One game sticks out where I was torn apart by a silver Kagawa :blush: The guy was by far the better player and i'm just glad it was an early enough game in the weekend for me to learn some valuable lessons.

If you made it this far and have enjoyed the read, get help :lol: thanks again to all those that contributed to the first thread, here is one of my highlights of the weekend :smiley:

https://i.gyazo.com/0981efc6c55e979c6a892efe77051006.mp4

Comments

• Pikachu
    9274 posts League Winner
    Where's the tl;dr?

Just joking, nice write-up buddy. :)
  • hoban95
    69184 posts Icon
    Silver 1 isn't bad at all for your first attempt, congrats mate.
  • matriquetra
    Pikachu wrote: »
    Where's the tl;dr?

Just joking, nice write-up buddy. :)

:lol: ty
  • futureyears
    3198 posts National Call-Up
    Nice write-up, I've never had the patience or time to manage a full 40 games in the WL, maybe one day before FIFA 18 is released I'll manage it!!
  • matriquetra
    hoban95 wrote: »

cheers, the earlier mistakes cost me from getting higher i think. Just using the bronze pack method to stock up on fitness cards, managed to get around 20 and broke even after selling everything :D and will just rely on impact subs. How'd you guys get on?
  • Dan is Clutch
    35523 posts World Cup Winner

Says an experienced silver 1 player. :trollface:

• Campino
    29873 posts National Team Captain
    Well played pal that's solid, also banging goal
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    9596 posts League Winner
    Congrats man, 14 wins isn't too bad considering it was your first attempt.

The one thing I learned is don't quit out of games unless you're pressed for time and it's necessary. I've come back from 3 goal deficits before, as well as giving up a 3 goal lead.

You've qualified once already, you can do it again. Best of luck mate :smile:
  • KingLionel10
    16472 posts World Class
    Nice one mate, great 1st attempt
  • matriquetra
    Nice write-up, I've never had the patience or time to manage a full 40 games in the WL, maybe one day before FIFA 18 is released I'll manage it!!

ta bud, like i said in the first thread, I don't have alot of time to commit to this, literally had maybe an hour in the morning 3 at night. Didn't actually play for the full 90 minutes for all the games, must have quit around 10-15 games and had three people quit on me early, all on the sunday night too, think someone mentioned that in the last thread, definitely worth remembering if you can score early.
  • Philip1979
    917 posts Semi-Pro
    Well done; how many controllers did you smash up?
  • hoban95
    69184 posts Icon

cheers, the earlier mistakes cost me from getting higher i think. Just using the bronze pack method to stock up on fitness cards, managed to get around 20 and broke even after selling everything :D and will just rely on impact subs. How'd you guys get on?

Got 19 wins and called it a night.
  • ShaunCPFC
    4308 posts National Call-Up
    Congrats mate it's all a learning curve, practice leads to improvement :+1:

It's a whole different ball game WL to any other mode.
  • matriquetra
    ShaunCPFC wrote: »

Really is bud, looking forward to re-qualifying this week, gonna give it a go with a full palace team (schlupp, chungy and millie) our boys aren't up to much at the moment IRL but i'll get four wins out of them :wink:
  • matriquetra
    Philip1979 wrote: »
    Well done; how many controllers did you smash up?

proud to report none :open_mouth: those years are behind me now tbf, had a few casulties back in 12/13 but they cost like a tenner to replace, kinda think twice when its weeks food shop your smashing up :blush::lol:
  • Ulook92
    22759 posts Club Captain
    You suck :trollface:
  • matriquetra
    Campino wrote: »

ta, couldn't work out how to embed it as a vid :blush: got another one to add, if someone can show me how to sort them I'd be grateful, here's the second:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/matriquetra/video/30778232

was against toty neuer who he was using as a sweeper keeper :lol:
  • Blake
    4830 posts National Call-Up
    Nice post

Good to see someone assessing their own play and performance rather than the usual

'the game is dire'
    'ea want me to lose'

etc etc

What's that silver Kagawa about though? :#
  • KingLionel10
    16472 posts World Class
    Campino wrote: »

ta, couldn't work out how to embed it as a vid :blush: got another one to add, if someone can show me how to sort them I'd be grateful, here's the second:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/matriquetra/video/30778232

was against toty neuer who he was using as a sweeper keeper :lol:

JGG8fA9.gif
  • matriquetra
    Blake wrote: »
    Nice post

Good to see someone assessing their own play and performance rather than the usual

'the game is dire'
    'ea want me to lose'

etc etc

just looked him up..... he was bronze :open_mouth:
    http://www.futhead.com/17/players/47424/hiroto-nakagawa/
    can't remember the team exactly but had a few silvers around him, like i said earlier the guys was clearly the better player.

Don't get me wrong I can see where people are coming from sometimes, but it's not like it's a one way street, you get those things in your favour as well as against, it's just learning to avoid creating those opportunities to allow these things to happen.
  • ShaunCPFC

Really is bud, looking forward to re-qualifying this week, gonna give it a go with a full palace team (schlupp, chungy and millie) our boys aren't up to much at the moment IRL but i'll get four wins out of them :wink:

Your a Palace fan too mate? Sweet will have to keep a track of your username pal that makes the 3 of us I know of :D ( @matriquetra @CPFC16 )

I've said before to @CPFC16 how good Milivojevic is; the bloke is everywhere :*

I've picked up Schlupp and Wickham for when this WL rolls around that requires 'em.

Best of luck fella on re-qualifying.
  • Blake
    4830 posts National Call-Up
    Nice post

'the game is dire'
    'ea want me to lose'

etc etc

can't remember the team exactly but had a few silvers around him, like i said earlier the guys was clearly the better player.

Don't get me wrong I can see where people are coming from sometimes, but it's not like it's a one way street, you get those things in your favour as well as against, it's just learning to avoid creating those opportunities to allow these things to happen.

Dang. Don't remember coming up against a single silver or bronze player all year :joy:

Aye, it happens and its hard not to get upset and rage but its just accepting its gonna happen and trying your best to stop it from happening/coming back when it does
  • Napoli9
    1964 posts Fans' Favourite
    I usually try to bring a towel or a rag for the sweaty gameplay
  • matriquetra

Your a Palace fan too mate? Sweet will have to keep a track of your username pal that makes the 3 of us I know of :D ( @matriquetra @CPFC16 )

I've picked up Schlupp and Wickham for when this WL rolls around that requires 'em.

:lol: there used to be another one back in the (old forum) day, had a palace UN too, unless it was @CPFC16
    Should be fun as I'm used to playing with them too so i'm interested to see how this week compares to next.
    Whatdya reckon ben's chances are for that POTM? Obv. got an IF in the club already and picked up the villa/ liege players just incase, would even sell those OTW cards for him tbh :open_mouth:
  • matriquetra
    Napoli9 wrote: »
    I usually try to bring a towel or a rag for the sweaty gameplay

these kind of comments belong back in 13/14 bud imo, the games so geared towards competive play now that you can't really argue with people putting everything into winning. See Newton's third law for some solice :wink:
  • matriquetra
    Nice post

'the game is dire'
    'ea want me to lose'

etc etc

Dang. Don't remember coming up against a single silver or bronze player all year :joy:

Aye, it happens and its hard not to get upset and rage but its just accepting its gonna happen and trying your best to stop it from happening/coming back when it does

i'm guessing my ranking had something to do with it maybe, wouldn't be hard for any RTG player to breeze through people like me :lol:

overall the whole thing if played right can just help make you better, it's just about learning to accept we aren't bloody game winning robots and as humans we can make mistakes and there's always room for improvement.
  • ShaunCPFC

:lol: there used to be another one back in the (old forum) day, had a palace UN too, unless it was @CPFC16
    Should be fun as I'm used to playing with them too so i'm interested to see how this week compares to next.
    Whatdya reckon ben's chances are for that POTM? Obv. got an IF in the club already and picked up the villa/ liege players just incase, would even sell those OTW cards for him tbh :open_mouth:

Yeah they actually do play really well I did get G3 using an entire Palace side but it was incredibly tiresome, when things weren't going your way it was nigh on impossible to turn the tide so to say :joy:

Yeah I'd say he's got a pretty strong chance for what he's done for us, I've used his 88 but don't know if he works for me :(

I use SBC Torres and him and Benteke as a pair doesn't work frustratingly.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    I remember you
  • CPFC16
    2126 posts Fans' Favourite

Lovely little trio of CPFC boys we have going on now. I was on the old forums but didn't post too much and never stated I was a palace fan. I didn't prepare at all for a possible POTM Ben so I hope requirements aren't too rough. :D@ShaunCPFC
  • Jake
    14424 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2017
    Nice post

'the game is dire'
    'ea want me to lose'

etc etc

If you're going to talk about me at least @ me pal @Blake