England - WC2018 - Who's won the World Cup??!

Comments

• Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Let's go all out

Australia v Uruguay - 1-3
    Germany v Northern Ireland - 2-0
    Brazil v Belgium - 2-2
    Switzerland v India - 1-0
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Australia v Uruguay - Luis Suárez, Cavani
    Germany v Northern Ireland - Müller, Reus
    Brazil vs Belgium - 2-1
    Switzerland v India - Switzerland win
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    rIgjzF8.png

An incredible turn of events today saw another South American team bow out of the competition, Australia pulled off a shock result thanks to Tommy Oar getting the winner and sending his country to the knockouts, Germany topped the group with ease as Reus gets himself a third goal in all 3 consecutive games.

Group D saw a massive clash of two footballing nations, Brazil who already qualified faced Belgium, they needed to better the goal difference of their two rivals below or better their result to keep 2nd place and they didn't take any chanced as Benteke scored the only goal to give Belgium the win, unfortunately goal difference played a part as they finished 2nd and will face the current World Cup holders Germany in a mouth watering clash in the next round with Brazil facing Australia.

DMyeN2m.png
    MaFozdx.png
    Assists
    Switzerland: Embolo, Mehmedi
    Belgium: De Bruyne
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    NqEqy3E.png
    Ashy (24)
    Australia v Uruguay - Uruguay win
    Germany v Northern Ireland - Germany win (1)
    Brazil v Belgium - Roberto Firmino, Eden Hazard
    Switzerland v India - Switzerland win (1)

Subpop (20)
    Australia v Uruguay - Luis Suárez, Cavani
    Germany v Northern Ireland - Müller, Reus (2)
    Brazil vs Belgium - 2-1
    Switzerland v India - Switzerland win (1)

Greenman019 (18)
    Australia v Uruguay - 1-3
    Germany v Northern Ireland - 2-0 (3)
    Brazil v Belgium - 2-2
    Switzerland v India - 1-0

Danimal5981 (16)
    Virtual_K (13)
    ale85bg (8)

GCJ8n7Z.png
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Some good predictions for the Germany game from both of you, one getting both scorers correct the other the correct score, thanks for keeping up with the predictions guys, starting to catch me up as I'm playing it safe at the moment :p The next set of fixtures are below;

Remember it's all to play for in Group E, France/Denmark on 4 points play each other, Greece/Ivory Coast both on 1 point, most likely if there is a winner in both games they will go through, Denmark will be happy with a draw to keep them 2nd. Group F Spain are through, USA and Cameroon both on 3 points, the winner goes on or Cameroon with a draw.

France v Denmark - France win
    Greece v Ivory Coast - Kalou, Bony
    Spain v Hungary - Spain win
    USA v Cameroon - Pulisic, Aboubakar
  • Danimal5981
    2165 posts Fans' Favourite
    wow, kudos for the enthusiasm but unable to keep up with every round.

France, Ivory Coast, Spain and Cameroon win
  • subpop
    Surprise with Australia...

France v Denmark - Griezmann, Giroud
    Greece v Ivory Coast - 1-2
    Spain v Hungary - Morata, Isco, Diego Costa
    USA v Cameroon - USA win

Good job here
  • Greenman019
    France v Denmark - 2-0
    Greece v Ivory Coast - 1-1
    Spain v Hungary - 1-0
    USA v Cameroon - 0-0
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    uJoxbOg.png

As predicted France got all three points against Denmark but nobody thought they would blow them away with a comfortable 3-0 victory, Griezmann was the star of the show and I'm sure he will turn it up a gear now the knockouts are around the corner. Denmark can count themselves lucky however because Greece and Ivory Coast played out a 1-1 draw leaving both countries heading home early as neither could get the important winning goal.

Moving on to Group F, Spain continue to impress and look the most balanced out of all the teams so far, getting maximum points and keeping all three clean sheets thanks to De Gea. The focus on this group was the key game between USA and Cameroon, USA needed the win and they got it thanks to an incredible double from Bobby Wood, it's a fantastic turn around after the first fixture, a 4-0 defeat to Spain. Now France will take on USA and Spain will face Denmark in the round of 16 later on this week.

vs6YXrH.png
    PSLKN7i.png
    Assists
    France: Pogba, Koscielny
    Greece: Fortounis

USA: Pulisic
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    NqEqy3E.png
    Ashy (27)
    France v Denmark - France win (1)
    Greece v Ivory Coast - Kalou, Bony
    Spain v Hungary - Spain win (1)
    USA v Cameroon - Pulisic, Aboubakar (1)

Greenman019 (24)
    France v Denmark - 2-0
    Greece v Ivory Coast - 1-1 (3)
    Spain v Hungary - 1-0 (3)
    USA v Cameroon - 0-0

Subpop (23)
    France v Denmark - Griezmann, Giroud (1)
    Greece v Ivory Coast - 1-2
    Spain v Hungary - Morata, Isco (1)
    USA v Cameroon - USA win (1)

Danimal5981 (18)
    France v Denmark - France win (1)
    Greece v Ivory Coast - Ivory Coast win
    Spain v Hungary - Spain win (1)
    USA v Cameroon - Cameroon win

Virtual_K (13)
    ale85bg (8)

RfPDzaF.png
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Fair play @Greenman019 on getting another two correct scores, you are good at this! Quite an easy round of predictions really, I got quite lucky with the Pulisic assist too. @Subpop you can only submit two players so I took your first two, I'm also pretty sure Costa isn't playing for Spain in this World Cup after looking at their stats, good job Morata for scoring the only goal. The final set of group games will be up tomorrow!

Netherlands are currently 3rd place a point behind Sweden and South Africa, they basically need to beat Sweden in the final game to qualify as South Africa are expected to get something out of the China game. Rep of Ireland and Egypt are playing for pride now, both out of the competition so the result doesn't matter much and Argentina and Portugal fight to top the group with the main story being Messi v Ronaldo. My predictions below;

Netherlands v Sweden - Promes, Forsberg
    China v South Africa - South Africa win
    Rep of Ireland v Egypt - Egypt win
    Argentina v Portugal - Messi, Ronaldo
  • Greenman019
    Netherlands v Sweden - 2-1
    China v South Africa - 0-3
    Rep of Ireland v Egypt - 1-1
    Argentina v Portugal - 2-0
  • subpop
    edited May 2017
    Sorry about that and thanks for your work and patience!

Netherlands v Sweden - 1-1
    China v South Africa - 1-2
    Rep of Ireland v Egypt - Draw
    Argentina v Portugal - Ronaldo, Di Maria
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    NEG5y8l.png

The final set of group games are here, as we edge closer to the final 16. We started off with a massive shock as Netherlands couldn't find the winner against Sweden as both battled hard for their place in the next round, but it wasn't to be for the Dutch in what will gone down as one of the biggest shocks of this tournament, South Africa defeated China 2-0 and cemented their place top of the group with Sweden in 2nd.

The final group saw two of the best players in the last generation, Messi for Argentina take on Ronaldo's Portugal, it was a very close match with Argentina's goal coming from an unlikely source in Banega, Portugal soon equalized thanks to Diogo Jota the striker scoring in all 3 games for Portugal. And both go through to the next round, Portugal will take on Sweden and South Africa will come up against Argentina!

gcXiizH.png
    glpBw89.png
    Assists
    South Africa: Veldwijk, Mokotjo

Portugal: Joao Mario
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    NqEqy3E.png
    Ashy (29)
    Netherlands v Sweden - Promes, Forsberg (1)
    China v South Africa - South Africa win (1)
    Rep of Ireland v Egypt - Egypt win
    Argentina v Portugal - Messi, Ronaldo

Greenman019 (27)
    Netherlands v Sweden - 2-1
    China v South Africa - 0-3
    Rep of Ireland v Egypt - 1-1 (3)
    Argentina v Portugal - 2-0

Subpop (27)
    Netherlands v Sweden - 1-1 (3)
    China v South Africa - 1-2
    Rep of Ireland v Egypt - Draw (1)
    Argentina v Portugal - Ronaldo, Di Maria

Danimal5981 (18)
    Virtual_K (13)
    ale85bg (8)

V57zoyC.png
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Both of you guys getting a correct score to pull yourselves closer to me, only a 2 point gap now! Thanks for keeping up with the predictions guys, it should be a little easier now we are in the knockouts, the next 8 fixtures are up and I'll split it over 2 days you can predict them all now if you wish. Also I'd like to see your thoughts on who you think will be in the final and win it now the chart is up showing the path to the final. I personally think it will be Argentina v Spain final

Italy v Norway - Italy win
    Germany v Belgium Belgium win
    France v USA - France win
    South Africa v Argentina Argentina win

England v Turkey - No prediction
    Brazil v Australia - Brazil win
    Spain v Denmark - Spain win
    Portugal v Sweden Sweden win

e01w2ej.png
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Greenman019
    Germany England would be my guess. Would be an interesting final ^^

Germany v Belgium 2-0
    France v USA - 3-1
    South Africa v Argentina Argentina win

England v Turkey - England Win
    Brazil v Australia - Brazil win
    Spain v Denmark - 2-1
    Portugal v Sweden 1-0
  • subpop
    edited May 2017
    Getting closer... B)

Italy v Norway - 2-1
    Germany v Belgium - Germany win
    France v USA - Giroud, Griezmann
    South Africa v Argentina - Argentina win

England v Turkey - 2-0
    Brazil v Australia - 3-1
    Spain v Denmark - Isco, Morata
    Portugal v Sweden - Portugal win

The final...Germany vs England. I believe you can do it.
  • Danimal5981
    2165 posts Fans' Favourite
    Advance for
    Italy
    Germany
    France
    Argentina
    England
    Brazil
    Spain
    Portugal
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    uKZkOmY.png

An incredible day in World Cup football as Norway and USA take down two super footballing nations, Norway defeated Italy 2-1 in a very tight game between both teams, Norway were very organised and defended well and took their chances, they will go on to the final 8 in what is the biggest shock result so far in the tournament! Up next was two fantastic sides, Germany and Belgium came to blows in what was the highlight fixture on paper and both teams were separated by a single goal thanks to Lukaku, that sees the current holders Germany head home at a very early stage and Norway will face Belgium in the Quarter Finals.

Next we witnessed another massive shock as USA defeat France thanks to a own goal from Koscielny, France just couldn't put their chances away and in the end, a scramble in the box between both teams saw the ball come off Koscielny to give USA a pass to the next round, and they will face a very strong Argentinian side as they put away South Africa 2-1, goals from Dybala and Gaitan sealed the result, USA v Argentina should be fantastic.
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    NqEqy3E.png
    Ashy (31)
    Germany v Belgium - Belgium win (1)
    South Africa v Argentina - Argentina win (1)

Greenman019 (28)
    Germany v Belgium 2-0
    France v USA - 3-1
    South Africa v Argentina Argentina win (1)

Subpop (28)
    Italy v Norway - 2-1
    France v USA - Giroud, Griezmann

Danimal5981 (19)

Virtual_K (13)
    ale85bg (8)

fBpKJn5.png
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    Not going to lie, nobody saw two of those results coming, Norway and USA beating Italy and France :D Belgium beating Germany was a tough call too, and Argentina as expected won, now you'd expect Belgium and Argentina to get to the semi final's now with each of them getting 'easy' games on paper.

Interesting to see many of you pick Germany for the final, I hope England can get there, if we get past Turkey, then Brazil is the team I expect us to face and that reminds me of World Cup 2002 all over again.
  • subpop
    Definitely shocking results there, which makes everything inpredictable.

About your path towards the final, Turkey shouldn't be a problem, despite they still have some talented players. Brazil are stronger, mainly in attack... it would be a key game, a classic.

My predictions were beyond terrible this time, but these strange results made almost everyone fail here.
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    LG08mTG.png

England Team 3-4-3:
    Butland, Dier, Stones, Keane, Sterling, Henderson, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Alli, Rashford, Kane

Turkey Team 4-4-1-1:
    Kıvrak, Özbayraklı, Aziz, Toprak, Erkin, Turan, Özyakup, Tufan, Töre, Mallı, Tosun

'This is when the fun begins' those were Garry Monk's first words in the press conference before the game, and England showed no nerves as they took an early lead thanks to Harry Kane in the 11th minute taking him top of the goalscorers, England continued to push for a second and they found it as captain Jack Wilshere smashed a 30-yard shot in the top corner. In the 2nd half Turkey pushed a lot more and they managed to bring a goal back with Mallı breaking past the England defence to slot it in the bottom corner. England held on and two well timed counter attacks in the dying minutes sealed the game for the three lions.

Brazil completely dominated sorry Australia beating them 5-0, it was just a step too far for the Aussies and Brazil showed their class in front of goal when given the time and space, and that sets up an epic clash in the quarter-finals with England. Also Spain put four past Denmark in a very one sided game with Thiago getting his third of the tournament! They will face Portugal as they defeated Sweden 3-1, finally Ronaldo getting on the scoresheet. Yesterday was a day of shock results, well today went to plan as all the favourites made it to the next round with some mouthwatering fixtures ahead.

Top Goalscorers
    25px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Neymar (4)
    25px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Harry Kane (4)
    25px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Diogo Jota (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Paulo Dybala (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Thiago Alcântara (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Roberto Firmino (3)
    25px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Marcus Rashford (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Jorginho (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Marco Reus (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Nicolai Jørgensen (3)

Top Assists
    25px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Dele Alli (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Joshua King (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Neymar (3)
    25px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Cristiano Ronaldo (2)
    25px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Thiago Alcântara (2)
    25px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Kellyn Acosta (2)
    25px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Roberto Firmino (2)
    25px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Ross Barkley (2)
    25px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Jorginho (2)
    25px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Paul Pogba (2)
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    NqEqy3E.png
    Ashy (33)
    England v Turkey - No prediction
    Brazil v Australia - Brazil win (1)
    Spain v Denmark - Spain win (1)
    Portugal v Sweden Sweden win

Greenman019 (30)
    England v Turkey - England Win (1)
    Spain v Denmark - 2-1
    Portugal v Sweden 1-0

Subpop (29)
    England v Turkey - 2-0
    Brazil v Australia - 3-1
    Spain v Denmark - Isco, Morata
    Portugal v Sweden - Portugal win (1)

Danimal5981 (23)
    England v Turkey - England win (1)
    Spain v Denmark - Spain win (1)
    Portugal v Sweden - Portugal win (1)

Virtual_K (13)
    ale85bg (8)

bU45NVO.png
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    yrGCMNO.png

Today's results were a bit more straight forward, big chance for you guys to catch me up too but I'm still a bit ahead, let's see what the quarter finals bring here are the fixtures below!

And ye @subpop Brazil look deadly in attack, especially now after that 5-0 win, we will need to defend well and take our chances I think

Norway v Belgium - Belgium win
    USA v Argentina - Dybala, Messi
    England v Brazil - No Prediction
    Spain v Portugal - Thiago, Morata
  • subpop
    First of all my predictions

Norway v Belgium - 1-3
    USA v Argentina - Di Maria, Messi
    England v Brazil - 3-1
    Spain v Portugal - Portugal win

Definitely Brazil had a great result... just as yours though. From the time of your last second goals and reading your comments, I guess that the match was more balanced than the final result.

You definitely are in the hard path since you will always face a strong team from now to the end.

Next game should be huge. Good luck!
  • Greenman019
    Big wins for both you and Brazil. Will be a tough game.

Norway v Belgium - 1-3
    USA v Argentina - 0-3
    England v Brazil - 1-1 (Eng Pens)
    Spain v Portugal - 2-1
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    zjQUwYJ.png

Today we witnessed the first two Quarter-Final matches, the tournaments massive underdogs Norway faced a Belgian side that lost to India in the first game, beat Brazil later in the group stages and knocked out the current holders Germany, they have some momentum going into this. It was a very tight game, many expected Belgium to breeze past Norway but they were the ones to score first and kept the pressure for an hour of the game, Belgium soon found the equalizer in the second half and Eden Hazard scored the winner late in the game to take them to the semi-finals, can this 'golden generation' team go all the way and fulfill their potential?

Next up we had USA, they also lost their first match by a whopping 4-0 to Spain but since then they have looked good, and narrowly knocking out France by an own goal from Koscielny they find themselves in the last eight against previous World Cup runners up Argentina. Once again this was a very tight match, in fact it was 0-0 after 90 minutes and it took extra time for the game to come alive with Pastore getting Argentina ahead and Pulisic making it level within minutes of each other. Penalties decided the game and it finished 4-3 to Argentina with Bobby Wood's penalty saved by the incredible Gerónimo Rulli. Belgium meet Argentina in the semi-finals.
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    9546 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    NqEqy3E.png
    Ashy (34)
    Norway v Belgium - Belgium win (1)
    USA v Argentina - Dybala, Messi

Greenman019 (30)
    Norway v Belgium - 1-3
    USA v Argentina - 0-3

Subpop (29)
    Norway v Belgium - 1-3
    USA v Argentina - Di Maria, Messi

Danimal5981 (23)
    Virtual_K (13)
    ale85bg (8)

I'll do the chart after the next 2 fixtures since there was only a slight change in the overall points

Thanks guys, I agree my path is difficult, if I get past Brazil I'll come up against Spain/Portugal then one one of Belgium/Argentina in the final, then again if you are going to win it you need to be able to beat the best ;)