England - WC2018 - Who's won the World Cup??!

Comments

• Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Oh, that draw against Austria. I really didn't see that coming. :(
    On the other hand, nice to see Rashford having a great season with the club and performing also with the National team. Now the match against Romania will be even more crucial, we all root for you!
    Austria seemed very hard to beat for me, both them and Belgium I failed to get the 3 points, as for Rashford, yeah he's improving a lot, I won't reveal his rating yet I will do that when I announce the official World Cup 23-man squad but I'm personally training him with the training feature over the course of the season ;)
    So tight right now. Just 1 point off 3rd, surprised it's Romania as well tbh.
    Same I thought Austria might of been that 3rd team fighting for qualification, so fair play to Romania, big game against them next.
    Romania hanging right there with you and Belgium. Wonder if they can keep it going and sneak in :o
    Indeed Romania are looking great, scoring lots of goals just conceding a bit too much let's see what happens!
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Wbbx21e.png
    England go into the last two qualifier fixtures top of the group, with the Romania fixture away from home being the biggest match of the campaign so far, if England lose Romania will leapfrog them and could end the nation's hopes of making it to Russia next summer. England must avoid defeat at all costs and finally they play Scotland at Wembley in which will be the final competitive game before for World Cup kicks off, they beat them 4-0 away so a win is expected.

Garry Monk spoke ahead of the fixtures, "We have such a crucial game ahead of us as I'm sure you all know, I see headlines saying 'Judgement day' and 'It's time to stand up and be counted', we know exactly what we have to do in Romania and the squad is ready to fight for every ball. You have to give them credit for pushing both us and Belgium as many expected us both to breeze through this unchallenged, we respect Romania but on the pitch tomorrow we will show the world we are ready for the World Cup".

Monk also commented on Daniel Sturridge's recent call up, "Basically Jamie Vardy looks like he will miss the next month with a shoulder injury and Daniel has been doing the business for Liverpool as of late, when a player is on that kind of form they will get their chance". Monk was also questioned on how Dele Alli will settle down in Spain after completing his big money move to Real Madrid, "Well you see he has the talent to take it by storm, like Bale I think he will settle down quickly and with the players around him he will develop even better than expected I'm sure of it".

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Joe Hart
    Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones, Michael Keane, Eric Dier, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Luke Shaw
    Midfielders: Reece Oxford, Jack Wilshere (c), Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, James Ward-Prowse, Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jesse Lingard
    Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    q5UBbRR.png
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Yeeeeees!!! Great results!
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Perfect. Big win over Scotland to cap things off as well. Nice
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    Yeeeeees!!! Great results!
    Perfect. Big win over Scotland to cap things off as well. Nice
    Yep it's nice to get the qualifiers out of the way now, only a few friendlies left before the World Cup is finally here! I'll be posting my first few updates on that during the weekend
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    Wbbx21e.png
    Now the World Cup 2018 qualifiers are over and England have sealed their place in the final 32, we focus on the next six friendlies, this month England will face France and Ivory Coast and then future fixtures will be against Netherlands, Russia, Brazil and Belgium.

There have been a few changes to the squad with Kyle Walker ruled out for 4 weeks Liverpool's Clyne comes in, Welbeck drops out for Vardy, Smalling is in for Chambers and finally Wayne Rooney gets his first call up under Garry Monk as Henderson stays home.

Garry Monk spoke to the press ahead of the games, "On the Wayne Rooney issue, I've spoken to him and told him at club level he isn't showing me enough to warrant a competitive call up but now the friendlies are here he gets his chance to prove to me he is good enough to make it to the World Cup, he's only 10 appearances off the record and eventually I think he will get there, it's up to him now".

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, John Stones, Michael Keane, Eric Dier, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw
    Midfielders: Reece Oxford, Jack Wilshere (c), Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, James Ward-Prowse, Wayne Rooney, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jesse Lingard
    Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    DxPAZyQ.png
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    Wbbx21e.png
    The next two friendly fixtures will see England fly out to Holland and then travel back to Wembley to face the hosts of the World Cup Russia. Garry Monk has made a few changes, mostly to the defence with Clyne, Shaw and Smalling out for Walker, Rose and Chambers and also after a disappointing showing Sturridge is left out for Welbeck.

Garry Monk spoke about England keeping their feet on the ground despite the very good recent results, "You have to remember these are friendlies, we maybe playing quite a strong side but other countries are not, they don't want to give their secret tactics away so early when they can save it for the World Cup. For us we just need to continue what we are doing and build up that momentum going into the World Cup next year".

Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones, Michael Keane, Eric Dier, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Danny Rose
    Midfielders: Adam Lallana, Jack Wilshere (c), Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, James Ward-Prowse, Wayne Rooney, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jesse Lingard
    Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    sELIf0x.png
  • ale85bg
    What a Rashford! :scream:
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great impact from him indeed
  • Danimal5981
    2151 posts Fans' Favourite
    Dutchy no like Rushy - hope that Ajax meets Man U in the final (in real life) and let's see how good he is :wink:
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    What a Rashford! :scream:
    Great impact from him indeed
    He's doing fantastic, wait until you see his overall rating once the World Cup squad is announce, as long as he doesn't get an injury and miss it :#
    Dutchy no like Rushy - hope that Ajax meets Man U in the final (in real life) and let's see how good he is :wink:
    Well both teams almost messed it up in the end but the final is set, Rashford to score the winner in extra time is my prediction for that ;) Good luck though and yeah Rashford loves to score against the Dutch it seems
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    5p4wkrP.png
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Wbbx21e.png
    Garry Monk spoke to the press after the final friendly against Belgium and here is what he had to say, "We are on an incredible run of results, I think that is nine wins in a row and 10 undefeated right now, we have beaten some big teams like Belgium, Brazil, Netherlands and France but let's keep our feet on the ground here, we all saw some of the teams they put out and they were nothing close to their best eleven, let's wait until the World Cup and see what really happens".

Jamie Vardy also commented after netting in back to back games, "For me it's about making an impact and if that is starting the game or coming off the bench I've showed the boss I can not only create but also score the goals, this will be my first and probably final world cup if I'm one of the lucky ones to get picked so now I just need to focus back on Leicester and stay injury free".
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Ds8Hgee.png
    The World Cup 2018 hosted by Russia is finally here, the tournament will last a month but in real time I will be making it last 3 weeks, we will not only focus on England's progress but every team as we take a look at the biggest international tournament in great detail, to go alongside it will be an interactive community game, more on this later.

World Cup 2018 Promo Video (Not mine)
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    XkGVxyH.png
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    cVzeRJo.png
    Iln25ij.png
    Yz3SUP0.png
    PlKDhEf.png
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Garry Monk has announced his England 23-man squad for the World Cup, some players have developed really well over the last couple of years, Butland has found a home as a Liverpool keeper and is known as one of the best in the Premier League, Jack Wilshere has progress a lot during this time and is now captaining both Arsenal and England as many regard him as the man that makes England tick. Marcus Rashford is constantly compared with Neymar for who is the best in the world, both 94 rated, maybe one will lead their country to glory this summer? Some more interesting picks were Chambers and Oxford but Monk has defended them saying "They have the ability now to make an impact, but this will be a massive learning experience for the future of England".

Zgy1gs9.png
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    LpoS3wT.png
    This will be the community interactive game to go alongside this World Cup, in a nutshell it is a visual sticker album collection, there are 35 stickers to collect during the World Cup, (The 23 England players travelling to Russia along with the manager and a 21st century legend XI shown below) and to collect stickers all you have to do is predict what will happen in the fixtures on that day.

So as you know the World Cup will go on for the next 3 weeks, during the group stage phase there will be 4 matches played per a day consisting of 2 groups. You will have 3 options on how you want to predict certain matches;

1. Match Result (Predict a team to win/draw/lose) = 1 Sticker
    2. Goal contribution (Predict two players from either team to get a goal/assist) = 1 Sticker per player
    3. Correct Score (Predict the correct score) = 3 Stickers

So in theory you only need to predict around half of the total 64 match results to complete the album since there will be no duplicate stickers, in the spoiler below is the preview of the empty album, the sticker you get will be random and it will reveal the picture once you get it, each forum member will get their own so let's see who's the best at predicting and can complete their album first!
    zH4eTkP.png
    The first 4 fixtures that will be played Sunday afternoon are;

Russia vs Italy
    Turkey vs Chile
    Ecuador vs Norway
    England vs Canada
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Danimal5981
    Ashy wrote: »
    Well both teams almost messed it up in the end but the final is set, Rashford to score the winner in extra time is my prediction for that ;) Good luck though and yeah Rashford loves to score against the Dutch it seems

BRING. IT. ON. - they're going to need extra time, because they hardly score more than one in 90 minutes. And these are men that could be dads to the Ajax squad :smiley: Hey, you take the World Cup with England, we'll have the Europa League in real life, deal?

• Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    BRING. IT. ON. - they're going to need extra time, because they hardly score more than one in 90 minutes. And these are men that could be dads to the Ajax squad :smiley: Hey, you take the World Cup with England, we'll have the Europa League in real life, deal?
    I'd like to see Ajax win since I'm an Arsenal fan and hate both Utd and Mourinho it would be funny to see them get no UCL after all the money spent, I'd be happy for that to happen :D
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Also what does everyone think about the England 23 man squad? Rashford from 78-94 rated inside 2 season, I've done this by actually playing the training sessions to get A's & B's and simming club matches B)
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I will be playing along with the predicting to see how many stickers I can get so here are my predictions, remember you have until Sunday to get the first 4 in and when picking two players to score or assist they can be both from one team or from each, there are no squad sheets to go off however.

Russia vs Italy - Italy win
    Turkey vs Chile - Sanchez & Tosun
    Ecuador vs Norway - Ecuador win
    England vs Canada - No prediction because I'm playing with England.
  • Danimal5981
    England, Russia and Chili win, Ecuador/Norway draw

As for your squad: Apart from Oxford no real surprises. Unlike e.g. the Dutch squad England have a very broad band of players in their mid-twenties with already solid experience.

The only thing you'd have to do is 'break with tradition' as England lately haven't really shown themselves as a tournament team. Quarter finals are usually end of the line.
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    England, Russia and Chili win, Ecuador/Norway draw

As for your squad: Apart from Oxford no real surprises. Unlike e.g. the Dutch squad England have a very broad band of players in their mid-twenties with already solid experience.

The only thing you'd have to do is 'break with tradition' as England lately haven't really shown themselves as a tournament team. Quarter finals are usually end of the line.
    Thanks for your predictions, good luck!

I agree with what you are saying, Oxford is someone I plan on playing in midfielder or centre back in the future, he played a few qualifier games for us and is someone that would benefit from the trip to Russia, and yeah my goal with the current squad is to get to the final 4 if I go further I'll be very happy

Come on guys it would be great if I could get at least one or two more people predicting the results for the sticker album
  • ale85bg
    Ashy wrote: »
    I'd like to see Ajax win since I'm an Arsenal fan and hate both Utd and Mourinho it would be funny to see them get no UCL after all the money spent, I'd be happy for that to happen :D
    Also what does everyone think about the England 23 man squad? Rashford from 78-94 rated inside 2 season, I've done this by actually playing the training sessions to get A's & B's and simming club matches B)
    Rashford looks like a beast indeed. And I agree about both United and Mourinho. He's definitely the best manager in the world when it comes down to convincing people to hate you. GO AJAX! :joy:

Great presentation as always, looking forward to that! I don't plan to collect/exchange stickers honestly, but I'll drop a coule of predictions anyway.

Russia vs Italy - 0-1
    Turkey vs Chile - Chile win
    England vs Canada - Rashford, Alli
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    "ale85bg wrote: »
    Rashford looks like a beast indeed. And I agree about both United and Mourinho. He's definitely the best manager in the world when it comes down to convincing people to hate you. GO AJAX! :joy:

Great presentation as always, looking forward to that! I don't plan to collect/exchange stickers honestly, but I'll drop a coule of predictions anyway.

Russia vs Italy - 0-1
    Turkey vs Chile - Chile win
    England vs Canada - Rashford, Alli
    Appricate it, there will be no need to swap stickers it's basically just predicting games and to show how good you are at predicting you get stickers no duplicates, it's just getting on the forum once a day to see what games are being played next really, some interesting predictions so far
  • Virtual_K
    1700 posts Play-Off Hero
    Russia 0 Italy 2
    Turkey vs Chile: Chile wins
    England vs Canada: Kane, Alli

We get one type of prediction per round of 4 matches if I understand correctly? Did I miss something, or how do we know the players on teams other than England?
  • Ashy
    9509 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Russia 0 Italy 2

We get one type of prediction per round of 4 matches if I understand correctly? Did I miss something, or how do we know the players on teams other than England?
    You can choose any type of prediction for the match, if you wanted you could just predict the result for each game, so you have done it correctly so far you are missing Ecuador v Norway though.

As for the players from other teams, yeah even I don't know the full 23 man squads so when I'm predicting players to contribute in a goal I'm just going off current top attacking players that are likely to play, for example Dzagoev, Insigne, Tosun and Sanchez. It's will get easier to understand the players once they all play one game you will be able to see the goalscorers/assisters :)
  • Virtual_K
    1700 posts Play-Off Hero
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Russia 0 Italy 2

For my last prediction this round, I'll say Norway and Ecuador play to a draw.