England - WC2018 - Who's won the World Cup??!

Ashy
9592 posts League Winner
edited June 2017
568j8tn.png

Hello everyone, I've been a bit bored lately so I've returned with a more laid back International story that will focus on England's journey to the 2018 Russian World Cup and beyond. If there is enough activity I'll try sort out a community game to go along with the story.

We will begin at the start of the 2016/17 season with our first set of World Cup qualifiers, there are five other teams in England's group; Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Romania and Scotland with only the top 2 going to Russia. Garry Monk has been appointed head coach of England with the FA taking a massive risk with the inexperienced Englishman but they believe he is the man to take the country forward and a press conference with the man of the hour will follow shortly.

I hope you enjoy.
Post edited by Ashy on

Comments

• Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Honours
    • World Cup winners: (1) 1966
    • European Championship: (0) Semi Finals x2 (1968/1996)

Top Goalscorer/active goalscorers
    • Wayne Rooney 53
    • Danny Welbeck 14
    • Theo Walcott 8
    • Daniel Sturridge 6
    • Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 5
    • Harry Kane 5

Most capped Player/active players
    • Peter Shilton 125
    • Wayne Rooney 115
    • Joe Hart 63
    • James Milner 60
    • Gary Cahill 47
    • Theo Walcott 43
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Reserved for a community game
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    garry-monk.png

Garry Monk enters the press room to a sudden of flashes and a smile on his face, he has never looked so nervous and happy at the same time, let's see what he has to say.

Monk: Before we get started I just want to say it's been a hectic few days around here and we have a big few weeks upon us before our first set of World Cup qualifiers so I'll try my best to answer everyone's questions and thanks to the fans and you lot for the warm welcome.

Skysports: Welcome Garry, firstly what were your first reactions to hearing England offered you the job and secondly for such an inexperienced manager how will you cope with the pressure of being the head coach?

Monk: Well it was a bit of shock, I fell to my knees when I was on the phone, there were many other managers that were much higher than me in the polls and things like that and I just didn't expect it, we had a good chat during the interviewing process and they must of liked my ideas so answering your second question as long as the FA have confidence in me I will give my all for the country, I'm a tough man I don't feel the pressure as you might think.

BBC Sport: What do you think of the other teams in our group and have you already thought about what system you will play?

Monk: Absolutely, we have a very tough group, Belgium are ranked 7th in the world so they will be favorites to top the group along with us, they have some very good world class players all over the pitch, Austria are a dangerous team that could cause us problems along with Czech and Romania, only Scotland fall outside the top 50 in the world so we have to take it game by game. As for the system I see a lot of managers trying 3 at the back so I might dip into that myself, I like to think that for the attacking talent we have the best way to defend is to attack.

The Guardian: Have you thought about bringing some of the younger players forward such as Michael Keane, Eric Dier and Marcus Rashford and moving some of the older ones to one side?

Monk: Well I feel a combination of experience and youth is important but the two most important factors for me is commitment and fight if my players have that then age means nothing for me, I have to say I'm very eager to see how Marcus Rashford develops over the next few years, he's an amazing talent.

Daily Mail: Is there any chance you have decided on a captain already?

Monk: In fact I have so here's a headline for you, I've already spoken to the player and he's very excited about it all, the new England captain will be Jack Wilshere and vice captain will be Gary Cahill.
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 2017
    I took the England job in my first CM story here, was also as Garry Monk :o

Will be following this one for sure. Good luck :) Let's hope Wilshere doesn't dislocate his shoulder putting on the captains armband or something.
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    I took the England job in my first CM story here, was also as Garry Monk :o

Will be following this one for sure. Good luck :) Let's hope Wilshere doesn't dislocate his shoulder putting on the captains armband or something.
    Oh wow I didn't know that, I was looking through all the possible managers linked and thought Monk would be cool to do so went with it :)
    Haha well Wilshere is fit enough for the first couple of games so let's hope he can go injury free
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Wbbx21e.png
    Garry Monk announces his first ever England 23-man squad ahead of the World Cup 2018 qualifier games against Czech Republic and Austria this September with a possible six debuts for the likes of Pickford, Keane, Oxford, Lingard, Ward-Prowse and Gray. Monk has left out England top goalscorer and former captain Wayne Rooney and experienced players such as Baines, Henderson and Sturridge. The only major miss will be Eric Dier who has been ruled out until November with an ankle injury.

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Joe Hart
    Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones, Michael Keane, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw
    Midfielders: Reece Oxford, Jack Wilshere (c), James Ward-Prowse, Adam Lallana, Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jesse Lingard, Demarai Gray
    Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    5xdaerw.png
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Wonderful graphics as usual mate, and great start to the story. Looking forward to see how it unfolds! :)
    And... Scotland being the 'Cinderella' of the group? Even if it's still very early, it doesn't looks so to me. :joy:
  • Greenman019
    Bit of a mixed start. Scotland in 1st :o Could be a disaster. But I think things will pick up :)
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Wonderful graphics as usual mate, and great start to the story. Looking forward to see how it unfolds! :)
    And... Scotland being the 'Cinderella' of the group? Even if it's still very early, it doesn't looks so to me. :joy:
    Thanks :) Scotland have had an incredible start couldn't believe it when I saw them at the top, it probably won't last long but it's a good start for their qualification hopes
    Bit of a mixed start. Scotland in 1st :o Could be a disaster. But I think things will pick up :)
    We have a tough home game against Belgium next then Scotland away so it could get tricky from here but I have confidence we can get positive results in both games, Austria's two quickfire goals shocked me and it was hard to get back in the game after that, we will learn from it!
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Wbbx21e.png
    Garry Monk announces his 23-man squad ahead of two crucial World Cup qualifier games against Belgium and Scotland this October. Eric Dier continues to recover from his injury and James Ward-Prowse will miss the next 3 months with a broken ankle. The only change is Danny Welbeck comes in for the Southampton midfielder.

Monk spoke ahead of the fixtures, "We know what we need to do, we are not scared of Belgium one bit, I've told the guys to just play your game and the result will come, Scotland away is a very tricky fixture for us too, you see they have a strong team by beating Belgium already and they are top of the group, it's a must win for us".

Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones, Michael Keane, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw
    Midfielders: Reece Oxford, Jack Wilshere (c), Adam Lallana, Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jesse Lingard, Demarai Gray
    Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • ale85bg
    Two crucial games ahead, if you get through without damage you could aswell turn things in your favour big time.
    By the way, I like the fact that the roster is almost unchanged: this will help cement the relationships between the players.
  • Wyojasond
    11322 posts Has That Special Something
    Kinda neat to see you and Alastair having these stories going at the same time. Will be fun to see how much different they end up. Two big qualifying games but England has the talent to win both
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    Two crucial games ahead, if you get through without damage you could aswell turn things in your favour big time.
    By the way, I like the fact that the roster is almost unchanged: this will help cement the relationships between the players.
    Yeah it's important to come away with at least 4 points from these two fixtures I think and that could take us top of the group if we beat Scotland depending on other results. Yeah I'm gonna try keep the core of the squad the same and maybe add in one or two new additions based on their club performance or injuries.
    Kinda neat to see you and Alastair having these stories going at the same time. Will be fun to see how much different they end up. Two big qualifying games but England has the talent to win both
    Yeah who would have thought it, two England story's at the same time, will be cool to see how far we both go and how certain players develop of the story. :)
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    3pbpekk.png
  • JamieC
    799 posts Semi-Pro
    England on top of qualifiers, everything is back to normal! :joy:
  • ale85bg
    Still a very, very tight group from what I see... But glad to see you get back where you belong. :)
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    JamieC wrote: »
    England on top of qualifiers, everything is back to normal! :joy:
    Haha it didn't take long did it? Hope we can remain on top now, 3 points leader over Belgium
    Still a very, very tight group from what I see... But glad to see you get back where you belong. :)
    Yeah it could be turned upside down after one round of fixtures if you think about it, hopefully it stays competitive
  • Greenman019
    Much better. 4 - 0 over the Scots as well, woo :D
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Much better. 4 - 0 over the Scots as well, woo :D
    England turned up against those Scots as usual, brought them down to Earth after their unbeaten start :D
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Wbbx21e.png
    Garry Monk once again announces his 23-man squad ahead of two big games against qualifier rivals Romania and Belgium, Monk has come out and said how important it is to not lose any of these two and keep the momentum going, "Both teams will be fighting for those top two spots along with us, I'm not saying we will play for a draw or play defensively, we are capable of playing our game and getting the points we need, our 3-5-2 formation is working so why change it".

England will see the return of Eric Dier and Jordan Henderson this November, could these new additions make the difference?

Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones, Michael Keane, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Eric Dier, Luke Shaw
    Midfielders: Reece Oxford, Jack Wilshere (c), Jordan Henderson, Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jesse Lingard, Adam Lallana
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    UFanbEe.png
  • ale85bg
    Oh, wow... This has become a pretty balanced group. Three teams on par at the top, Scotland just two points behind and Czech Republic trailing the Scots at a close distance... Things are getting pretty interesting I dare say. :)

The good thing is that you don't have to face Belgium anymore, as they are most likely the most dangerous opponents of the group. Keep it up man, Russia awaits you! :)
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Indeed. The group is quite balanced and any error can be expensive. A few games to be played and five teams are in three points. Good luck!
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    Oh, wow... This has become a pretty balanced group. Three teams on par at the top, Scotland just two points behind and Czech Republic trailing the Scots at a close distance... Things are getting pretty interesting I dare say. :)
    The good thing is that you don't have to face Belgium anymore, as they are most likely the most dangerous opponents of the group. Keep it up man, Russia awaits you! :)
    Yeah good to get Belgium out of the way, keeping a close eye on Romania, if I'm to finish outside the top 2 it's because they've had a good run of results, need to beat them when the time comes.
    subpop wrote: »
    Indeed. The group is quite balanced and any error can be expensive. A few games to be played and five teams are in three points. Good luck!
    Yeah, the next two fixtures will be crucial and will shape up the group much more so let's see what happens..
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Wbbx21e.png
    After a few month break we return to international football this March where England will host Austria that beat them in an earlier fixture and travel to Czech Republic whom they beat 5-0 in the opening qualifier. Two vital fixtures that will shape up this qualifying group, can England go on and cement their place in the 2018 World Cup?

England captain Jack Wilshere commented on England's progress so far saying, "We are doing okay, we remain top of the group even after dropping points to Belgium so for us we just have to focus on the next two games and come out with all six points, at the end of the day all these qualifiers and upcoming friendlies all lead to the World Cup, we could win every single game but we need to perform on the pitch when it matters and that is in Russia".

Garry Monk also commented on Marcus Rashford's incredible season, "He's turned into a man this season, I have never seen a player develop so fast, many regard him as England's future but from what I'm seeing he's England's present. The man has scored 22 goals in 28 Premier League appearances and for us he's doing the business on the international stage, for sure one day I can see him overtaking Rooney's goals record".

Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones, Michael Keane, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Eric Dier, Luke Shaw
    Midfielders: Reece Oxford, Jack Wilshere (c), Jordan Henderson, Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jesse Lingard, Adam Lallana
  • Ashy
    9592 posts League Winner
    2Bwrpqh.png
  • ale85bg
    Oh, that draw against Austria. I really didn't see that coming. :(
    On the other hand, nice to see Rashford having a great season with the club and performing also with the National team. Now the match against Romania will be even more crucial, we all root for you!
  • Greenman019
    So tight right now. Just 1 point off 3rd, surprised it's Romania as well tbh.
  • Wyojasond
    11322 posts Has That Special Something
    Romania hanging right there with you and Belgium. Wonder if they can keep it going and sneak in :o