AC Milan - The New Era

Lyktan
146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
edited May 2017
6BVgjF9.png

During lunch time, the 1st of July, the wait was over for the fans of AC Milan. Vincenzo Montella left the Italian club shortly after the season leaving many fans wondering who would replace him. There were lots of rumors and speculations, some of them just sheer hope with no logic behind them. Arsene Wenger was one of the many managers that was talked about, and one of the fewer that most experts could see join the club.

WCEir77.png

Some people on social media seemed to like the idea of the successful Arsenal manager. One user on Twitter said "I wouldn't mind Arsene. He hasn't been doing all too good the later years, but I wouldn't mind". When Arsene was asked about the rumors after the season, he denied there would have been talks of him going to Milan. The Frenchman said he had heard of the rumors and laughed whilst saying "But I have not talked to them. However, I will never be the manager of another club".

And then, as previously mentioned, at lunch-time Twitter and every other social media platform got the news. Everyone's speculations were wrong and the new manager of AC Milan was neither Wenger, Klopp or Luis Enrique. It was an unknown Swedish manager to many people. The 39-year old Victor Lyktan, who had been a manager of the Swedish side Djurgårdens IF the last two years, was the new man in charge.
Post edited by Lyktan on

Comments

• Lyktan
    WHXfqE3.png

Additional information: The cup and every other game will be played, never simulated. It will be on Legendary,
    no sliders. I'll aim for realistic signings. Feel free to add what you'd like to see. Mind you, I am Swedish as you probably understood. That being said, most likely there'll be a few grammatical errors here and there. Point them out if you want, I like to learn :)
  • Lyktan
    edited April 2017
    6T0U5lj.png
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2017
    Milan! <3
    Good luck mate... Hopefully I'll be able to see a better Milan here than the one I usually see in real life... 'Cause in real life we s*ck. :unamused:
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Interesting story. I always had this story in mind.

Good luck!
  • Lyktan
    subpop wrote: »
    Interesting story. I always had this story in mind.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot! With the "story in mind", do you mean Milan? I haven't been here for two years so I'm not sure if Milan has been done yet, haha!
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Milan! <3
    Good luck mate... Hopefully I'll be able to see a better Milan here than the one I usually see in real life... 'Cause in real life we s*ck. :unamused:

Thanks a lot! I'm sure you will if I keep my cool. Yeah, its insane how fast it has gone.
  • Lyktan
    Shortly after the the game against Hull City the transfer rumors kept on going. Who would leave, who would join? There had been very few signs of anything during the first days in the transfer window for Lyktans Milan, but during the afternoon things would change. A Snapchat story from the talent of Arsenal, Alex Iwobi, showing he was in Milano ended up in the newspapers speculating on him moving from London.

0EGxLLe.png

Iwobi himself was quick to not only remove the post but also explain himself on Twitter.

MYkAtJs.png

That didn't matter for people on Arsenal forums or Milan forums. One Milan-fan said "Think he would be sensational for us. He showed he is capable of a lot last year in Arsenal - definitely something I'd love to see in our colors" and another said "Whew. People love getting hyped don't they. The guy is on a vacation to rest after the African Cup. That's why he is not with the team for the tournament in the states. Don't think any pro-footballer is stupid enough to post that to social media IF he would leave. Also, even if he would it doesn't mean it's for us. Could very well be Inter, eh?".

On the Arsenal side most people seemed like they didn't think about it too much. "LOL, poor lad. Just want to update his social media that he is on a nice vacation and suddenly he is leaving.." and "The guy loves London and Arsenal. Why would he leave so early after moving up to the first team?".
  • Lyktan
    edited May 2017
    7S2E2IX.png
  • Danimal5981
    2246 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nice to see somebody giving good artwork - as for the story, that still needs to unroll...
  • Lyktan
    QOdYBpz.png

(Wanted to try something new, will try this one for a while)
  • Lyktan
    qae3P09.png

A game that had everything. Missed chances, bad fouls, great goalkeeping and a terrific goal from the Swedish John Guidetti. It looked like Celta Vigo would be the ones going into the finals after holding their lead for 91 minutes, but in the very last attack Bacca was fouled. A clear penalty and Bacca himself decided to take it. Perfectly placed - and it's 1-1.

The following penalty shootout was just as good as the game. Donnarumma was close on only one penalty - Daniel Wass penalty went on his legs into the goal. At 5-4 Celta Vigo had to score their penalty to still be in the game but the pressure seemed to get to them as the shot was widely shot.

"I'm happy with the game. We knew Celta Vigo would be a hard task as they're constantly taking points off the big teams in La Liga. I was afraid we wouldn't get a reward for our fighting spirit in the game though. It was very deserved, I must say, to win this game" Lyktan said in the press conference after the game.

"How is it looking with transfers at the moment?" a reporter curiously asked.

"It's looking good. It's two months left. No hurry" Lyktan almost mysteriously answered.

The following day

The pre-season tournament is a hectic one. The games are almost every third day, so it came to many peoples surprise that the first transfer activity from Milan was to sell a player. Romagnoli played in the last two games of the tournament but has now been sold to Sevilla for a fee rumored to be around 24-25 million.

ayar0me.png

"I'm very sad to see Romagnoli move to Spain. He has been a very good player for us during the time he played here, but it's a good deal for both parties involved. I really hope he will be just as good for Sevilla, which I am sure of. I wish him all the best!" Lyktan stated in a interview on AC Milans website.

But the day was not over yet and this time it was a signing. It had been talked about for a few days but it had been very quiet about it from creditable sources, and not just wild speculation.

Uc3Cc9T.png
  • Lyktan
    Nice to see somebody giving good artwork - as for the story, that still needs to unroll...

Thanks! What do you mean with unroll? o:) (Genuinely don't know). I will definitely do that too, however.
  • ale85bg
    Noooo!!! Not Alessio! :cry:
    Wonderful results so far, very good graphics (by the way, you forgot to change the result in the OGC Nice match, it shows 0-0), a good PIADS with Iwobi... Definitely an interesting beginning.

Keep it up man, curious to see what's next. :)
  • Lyktan
    Noooo!!! Not Alessio! :cry:
    Wonderful results so far, very good graphics (by the way, you forgot to change the result in the OGC Nice match, it shows 0-0), a good PIADS with Iwobi... Definitely an interesting beginning.

Keep it up man, curious to see what's next. :)
    I know, I didn't want to lose him. He is worth 13 so I just put in 24 as a counteroffer and they took it.

Oh, how did I not see that :neutral:

Thanks a lot!
  • ale85bg
    Lyktan wrote: »
    Don't worry, it happens. You can't imagine how many typos I make in my graphics too... And mistakes in terms of grammar too, as English isn't my native language either. :)

About Romagnoli, I've signed him on loan in my FIFA 16 career and he's performing in a pretty solid way for me. Despite selling Romagnoli, you DO have some young and interesting players to build upon like Donnarumma and Locatelli, Suso, Bonaventura (even if he isn't really young anymore)... I see a bright future for Milan! :)
  • Lyktan
    Don't worry, it happens. You can't imagine how many typos I make in my graphics too... And mistakes in terms of grammar too, as English isn't my native language either. :)

About Romagnoli, I've signed him on loan in my FIFA 16 career and he's performing in a pretty solid way for me. Despite selling Romagnoli, you DO have some young and interesting players to build upon like Donnarumma and Locatelli, Suso, Bonaventura (even if he isn't really young anymore)... I see a bright future for Milan! :)

Really thought you were a native one actually!

Yeah, its a lot of talent but its a really slow team. I hope to bring in some more pace.
  • Lyktan
    c23zLfe.png
  • Lyktan
    V0czeUa.png

"What a game. I bet you'd enjoy it if you were a neutral.. a bit too intense for my liking" Lyktan laughed at the press conference after the game.

"I am really enjoying our play even though it's clear it's still pre-season. We play well and we believe in our skills to come back in the game. I am very pleased to win my first trophy here even though this one is a pre-season one. I mean, they all count. If someone disagrees I'll make sure to win the Supercoppa as well" the manager of AC Milan jokingly said, even though we all know is said with a bit of seriousness.
  • Lyktan
    edited May 2017
    QzRjSd8.png

Slam the brakes, because Milan are going fast!

Shortly after the tournament in France where Milan won it all the first signing of the summer, Iwobi, joined the squad. The rumors were few, so were the speculations. That Correa would join Milan came therefore as a huge surprise to everyone.

"I mean, people know we're aiming high after a few years of mediocrity. Correa is one of the players that will make a difference this year" a satisfied Lyktan commented during a shorter interview on Milans website.

rlHDSYG.png
    Post edited by Lyktan on
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Congratulations for the victory in the preseason tournament. Nice pics!

Correa is a great signing. Now let the league begin!
  • Lyktan
    gbiFZQN.png

It was a happy debutant when the media showed up. He scored a fantastic goal to kill the game in the 90th minute, but according to him he should have had two official goals.

"I am outraged! Buffon got his hands on the goal and it bounced on his arm into the goal. It shouldn't have been an own-goal at all. Jokes aside, I'm very glad I had this start here at Milan. We dominated the game from start to finish" a happy and exhausted Correa told the media.

But dominant? Most people wouldn't agree on that. In the 23rd minute Marchisio fell down in the penalty area, after a slight touch. A foul? Yes, maybe. A penalty? Absolutely not. Dybala took a long stance and it went right into the left corner, but for the second game in a row wonderkid Donnarumma made sure to save another penalty.

The game went back and forth until the ball was cleared from a dangerous attack from "Juve", picked up by Correa and with a nice body feint he placed the ball behind Buffon. Although it was written as an own-goal Correa was the reason Milan could go into extra time at 1-0 up.

As an Italian derby should be the second half was more about strategy, less about actual football. A few fights, a few dirty tackles. But when Juventus tried their hardest to equalize Correa stepped up again. A nice cross on the ground from Suso, finished by the Argentinian with a backheel.

"I don't know how he does it. I was nervous for my debut and tried to focus on just trying to adapt to the game, but this guy man. This guy scores two" Iwobi said after celebrating the win on the pitch.
  • Lyktan
    subpop wrote: »
    Congratulations for the victory in the preseason tournament. Nice pics!

Correa is a great signing. Now let the league begin!

Thank you!

I don't know but as a fairly ignorant Calcio A-guy, how bad have AC Milan been? I have to scroll for ages to find a picture of them celebrating in the away-kit...

Yep, he did alright in his debut!
  • ale85bg
    I don't know but as a fairly ignorant Calcio A-guy, how bad have AC Milan been?
    Oh, we've been mediocre since I don't know when. The league title in 2010/11 and finishing 2nd in 2011/12 (well, throwing away an insane amount of points in matches against Fiorentina, Bologna, Catania. Inter) have been the only highlights of the recent years. Then a 3rd place in 2012/13 with a good comeback (we were mid-table halfway through the league) and then nothing more unfortunately: mediocrity, as I said earlier.

That's why I really, really would love to see you succeed in this career and bring Milan back where they belong. By the way, winning the Super Cup is exactly the kind of 'first step' we needed, congrats! :)
  • Ashy
    9743 posts League Winner
    edited May 2017
    Very good start pal, AC Milan are a quality team with a rich history so this should be fun to follow, some cool signings in Correa and Iwobi, make sure you train Iwobi up I got him to 89 rated after only 3 seasons. Quite surprised you ended up selling Romagnoli since I see him as a future leader for the club.

I remember joining AC Milan late in my old fifa 16 career and ended up with this team:

Alisson 89
    Fabinho 87 - Romagnoli 87 - Rugani 87 - De Sciglio 86
    Amartey 86
    Halilovic 89 - Mastour 89
    Salah 88 - Andre Silva 88 - El Shaarawy 88
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Lyktan
    Ashy wrote: »
    Very good start pal, AC Milan are a quality team with a rich history so this should be fun to follow, some cool signings in Correa and Iwobi, make sure you train Iwobi up I got him to 89 rated after only 3 seasons. Quite surprised you ended up selling Romagnoli since I see him as a future leader for the club.

I remember joining AC Milan late in my old fifa 16 career and ended up with this team:

Alisson 89
    Fabinho 87 - Romagnoli 87 - Rugani 87 - De Sciglio 96
    Amartey 86
    Halilovic 89 - Mastour 89
    Salah 88 - Andre Silva 88 - El Shaarawy 88

Yeah, Iwobi is insane on CM. Always a great purchase.

I know, didn't want to. Just counter offered something that seemed overpriced.

Amartey! My man. He played in my local team :D
  • Lyktan
    7URWbsu.png

Lyktan is optimistic for the opening game. The Swede believes that they have a great squad as it is, but that it most likely will be additions to it, something that excites the fans of AC Milan.

"Never say never. I have had my eyes on a couple of players that I would like to take an even closer look at. If the opportunity is there, of course they'll be interesting for the club. So I'm quite sure we aren't done yet, even though we are very happy with Iwobi and Correa.

• Lyktan
    lRMDbki.png
  • ale85bg
    Lovely transfer news gaphics there... And good luck for the first match of the league against Torino!
  • Lyktan
    PNdyRjz.png

Dressing room after the game

"Well, if this isn't the easiest way to earn the matchball, I don't know what is" Montolivo laughed as he passed around the ball to his team mates.

"The penalties were good, tho. I'm woeful at penalties, honest. Maybe it's good I didn't take the first one" Iwobi said and laughed.

"Eh. It's a shame, you were through on goal. Next game you'll score" Montolivo said and clapped Alex on the back.

It was a good atmosphere in the dressing room and understandably so, AC Milan were so far unbeaten under Lyktan. The game against Torino was predicted everywhere as a close game, but it was everything but that.

"I'm proud of you guys, again. We have them in our pockets the whole game. They can complain that we won on penalties all they want, they were all clear penalties and everyone knows that. You guys definitely did good to recover in the second half after the goal they scored with their first shot on goal. Not much you can do about that, I might add" Lyktan said and looked at Paletta and Donnarumma.
  • Lyktan
    3x8Rq4A.png

"****. What the ****! That's bad." Lyktan grumply said standing right in his office.

"What's up?" Daniele Russo, the assistant coach, said whilst looking on his computer.

"Pogba isn't coming after all. He would've been a perfect purchase but Leverkusen just.. they got there before us, I guess".

Lyktan sat down by his computer looking at a bunch of documents. Even if the media didn't know, the hunt for a few more signings was very important to be fighting for a top-spot in the league. With Pogba out Lyktan now had to go to Plan B, one he didn't have.

"So.. what should we do? What players have you contacted?" Russo asked.

"We put in a bid for Daniel Wass, the midfielder. But Celta is asking for almost 30 million for him and there's no way that's happening. We looked into Mexer and we have a bit of contact with Rennais about it but it's looking rather stale."

Russo cleared his throat and seemed to think for a rather long period.

"I know, we do need at least a midfielder and a centre back. It's not a crisis but we have few options if something goes wrong. I'm thinking Amartey - the former player of Djurgårdens IF and Copenhagen. He can be both a DM and a CB."

"You know.. there's something in that. I'll call them".

A few hours went by as Lyktan yet again sat down next to Russo.

"I know what I want now. I'm still infuriated about Pogba, but what about Amartey and Gonalons? Amartey can't play both positions every game" Lyktan said whilst not mantaining eye-contact at all, as he was typing down everything on his computer.

"It's not bad. At all. Gonalons would probably be perfect..."

Russo could hear signals from the other room as Lyktan walked around.

"Craig Shakespeare, Leicester City."

"Hey Craig, Lyktan here from AC Milan. Look, I'm gonna make it quick. I know Amartey from his days in Djurgården. What kind of money are we talking about?"

"I'm glad to hear from you Victor. But I'm afraid he's not for sale."

"Yeah, okay, alright. I'm just saying that he didn't have much playing time last year I'd reckon three million for him is a fair offer" Lyktan said, knowing his offer was a bit too low.

"Okay. But I want 8.

"Five million. Meet me half way".

A couple of minutes later the deal was done and Craig emailed back with Amartey CC:ed. Just as Lyktan was typing Russo threw a printed document towards Lyktan.

"What's this?"

"Gonalons is also awaiting your response. About contract. They wanted 27 but you know, no way. They were okay with 16."
  • Lyktan
    CNxaEcl.png

It's been a hectic few weeks for Lyktan who now has signed three players and also been active in tournaments and the start of the league. This looks like the final deal for Milan this window, but Lyktan ensures everyone that nothing is ever 100%.

"I mean, if Messi is walking around begging us to sign him on the free then I would. But we are satisfied with what we have and probably won't buy anyone else." Lyktan said with a huge grin at the press conference.

"What can the fans expect from these two players?"

"Well, Amartey is basically that centre back and defensive midfielder everyone wants. He is big, he is fast and also very strong. I believe he will fit in very nicely here. For Gonalons, it's a very unique player. He isn't really near the attributes of Amartey but a very nice man to have on the midfield, with his great passing skills and his captain-mentality".