OT: Professional Sweepers.

Nehemiah
627 posts An Exciting Prospect
Why do no big name clubs play with a sweeper? Just diamond the four at the back. Sweepers could prevent a lot of through balls from the likes of Messi. Why has no one tried this. Or has it been tried and failed? Thanks for your input

Comments

• bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Keeper sweepers
  • Buttonwalls
    2421 posts Fans' Favourite
    Put two strikers on the sweeper, punt it up the pitch, easy chances
  • AlexM1218
    715 posts Semi-Pro
    Put two strikers on the sweeper, punt it up the pitch, easy chances

Exactly. Obviously not the same level, but HS team played a team that did this. Dog shxt talent wise, but first half we couldn't do anything against it. Second half, we had two forwards play on either side of him, with a CAM in front and CM's on either side of the stopper. By the end of the game it was just muscle memory doing the triangle passing around the defense. Once you get past one guy, it's just finding the open man until you are in front of goal.
  • Nehemiah
    627 posts An Exciting Prospect
    ThAnks guys I get it now
  • Ofthewelsh
    3568 posts National Call-Up
    Lothar Mattheus played most of the Mexico 86 World Cup as a sweeper I seem to recall. Can't remember if it was him or Thomas Berthold who was carrying an injury. I can't remember seeing it much after that time really.
    The advances in ball technology, improved player fitness, and probably most importantly, improved pitches, have changed the game so much, and sped it up. A sweeper is a waste of a player, and a liability in modern defensive systems I would have thought.
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    C'mon I came in here expecting to see tips on how to become a professional chimney sweep.

Disappointed. It needs to be even more OT.
  • Campino
    27184 posts Player of the Year
    Ofthewelsh wrote: »
    Lothar Mattheus played most of the Mexico 86 World Cup as a sweeper I seem to recall. Can't remember if it was him or Thomas Berthold who was carrying an injury. I can't remember seeing it much after that time really.
    The advances in ball technology, improved player fitness, and probably most importantly, improved pitches, have changed the game so much, and sped it up. A sweeper is a waste of a player, and a liability in modern defensive systems I would have thought.

Gullit was a sweeper also, modern game has killed the position
  • Ofthewelsh
    Runefang wrote: »
    C'mon I came in here expecting to see tips on how to become a professional chimney sweep.

Disappointed. It needs to be even more OT.

You've started too late. I sent my son up the chimneys when he was 5 guv'nor. London Town is the place for that game. Apparently the streets are paved with gold too..

@Campino gullet did play as SW for a while, but again I'm sure that's because his legs were in bits. Seems like it's the position great midfielders went to die!
  • YOLOT0URE
    6974 posts Big Money Move
    Because 3atb is the future of football imo. Since Napoli under sampaoli? I think it was, I've thought it would be the next step and this year in the prem especially it's come to the forefront
  • BrentfordFC
    12106 posts Has That Special Something
    A sweep ma nanas chimney lyk mert
  • Ofthewelsh

I bet you do... ;)
  • Benjog88
    1590 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2017
    My dad tried explaining the sweeper role to me and my brother and we couldn't get our heads round it

Basically you have one play stood behind the defense playing everyone onside. it just seems like the easiest system to beat and I don't get how it ever could have been a viable tactic
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    Just doesnt work in modern football, the games too fast now
  • BrentfordFC
    12106 posts Has That Special Something
    Ofthewelsh wrote: »

I bet you do... ;)

Polish it off with a facial :trollface:
  • Hippyboy6
    16885 posts World Class
    Benjog88 wrote: »
    My dad tried explaining the sweeper role to me and my brother and we couldn't get our heads round it

Basically you have one play stood behind the defense playing everyone onside. it just seems like the easiest system to beat and I don't get how it ever could have been a viable tactic

The game was a lot slower back then & the offside rule was different, level was offside.
  • hoban95
    49162 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Football has changed and advanced.
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    Some great players were sweepers and they weren't just defensive. They were usually a player with a range of skills defensively and in attack with great vision, passing and some of them would set up and join the attack. Beckenbauer was probably the best sweeper but Scirea from Italy was also brilliant and some say Bobby Moore played like a sweeper as well.