Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Bluemoon
    15710 posts World Class
    Gourcuff was the next Zizou all those years ago.. I'm guessing either injury problems or a lack of determination killed that dream for France.
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    I remember when we were supposedly going to pay £40m for Draxler. Vile.
  • We get linked with Kalou and Gourcuff every window. :s:#
  • Mark
    608 posts An Exciting Prospect
    We get linked with Kalou and Gourcuff every window. :s:#

Don't forget Cabaye and more recently Schneiderlin
  • Mark wrote: »
    We get linked with Kalou and Gourcuff every window. :s:#

Don't forget Cabaye and more recently Schneiderlin
    I'd still take Cabaye every single window too. Schneiderlin on the other hand :*

• Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Gourcuff had talent, wouldn't have minded him when we were first linked.

• Mark

Yeah he was one the best young players in the world
  • Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero
    Robert wrote: »
    I remember when we were supposedly going to pay £40m for Draxler. Vile.

lol
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move

Nobody should take this Francophile's opinion seriously.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Tamerlane wrote: »

Nobody should take this Francophile's opinion seriously.

Guilty as charged.
  • JC
    1847 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2015
    Haven't read through much of this thread but what's everyone's opinions on Arteta?

I personally believe we should have let him go at the end of last season, then we went and made him captain. Of course he's a good player but I really don't think he is good enough for the direction we want to be going. Now he's captain I'm worried that Wenger will feel inclined to fit him into a midfield that is already packed. Definitely think he should go this summer, probably along with Flamini, unless he's happy to rarely feature until the inevitable injuries that we incur each and every bloody season.

Would love to see Schneiderlin come in, but he'd obviously have to fight for his place in the starting 11. In no way would he be coming in to replace Coquelin until his form dips to suggest otherwise. As someone said previously, I think it would be extremely beneficial for us to have two very capable CDMs for big games away from home. I love the way that Coquelin is happy to sit back and let the big names do their thing - he rarely ventures forward and this was apparent in the Liverpool game when we were struggling to break them down, he didn't want to push up in case he left us open to the counter.
  • Adrian
    3412 posts National Call-Up
    Our squad is in a really frustrating state atm. Too many positions where we have "good" players but to be really challenging we need to replace them with better or even world class players. The problem is they aren't bad enough for Wenger to sell them.

We still lack a top GK, a starting CB in place of Mertesacker, another CDM and imo a striker.

Ospina arrived beginning of the season and it is exceptionally unlikely we'll sell Szezcny
    Mertesacker is VC and is highly rated by Wenger, but he is not good enough against top opposition
    Whilst there is a small chance we might sell one of Arteta/Flamini, we need another top CDM along with Coqeulin
    A new striker may seem to be the harshest of all positions i stated, but despite Giroud's form i still think we need a truly world class striker. Giroud goes through good and bad patches, but when he's off form he's bloody abysmal. As well as this, his stats are very good, but with the chances we create any half competent striker is able to get goals with the midfield behind them.

Possible signings that i think would take us to the required level?

GK: Lloris/Cech - both may be difficult due to rival teams, but I feel both could be able to force a move if they really wanted to join us

CB: Hummels - Yes he's much sought after, and after BVB's dissapoitning season his quality has been questioned somewhat, but i believe he'd be a large improvement on Mertesacker , with the potential to throw in Mertesacker/Podolski as part of any deal which would kill 2 birds with 1 stone

CDM: Schneiderlin is the obvious target. Him and Coqeulin as defensive options with Flamini as an emergency would be great

ST: Out of all the additions, probably last on my personal priorities , and by far the most costly. Cavani/Higuain would probably be the 2 we'd have any sort of chance of signing. Even then, Cavani would command a hefty fee from PSG.

These additions combined with the summer departures of Szeszny , Mertesacker, Arteta,Diaby, Podolski and POSSIBLY Wilshere (i really like him but i dont see him getting sufficient game time and City could put in a big bid in the summer) which could raise up to £50m would be the dream for me.
  • JC
    1847 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2015
    Adrian wrote: »
    Our squad is in a really frustrating state atm. Too many positions where we have "good" players but to be really challenging we need to replace them with better or even world class players. The problem is they aren't bad enough for Wenger to sell them.

We still lack a top GK, a starting CB in place of Mertesacker, another CDM and imo a striker.

Ospina arrived beginning of the season and it is exceptionally unlikely we'll sell Szezcny
    Mertesacker is VC and is highly rated by Wenger, but he is not good enough against top opposition
    Whilst there is a small chance we might sell one of Arteta/Flamini, we need another top CDM along with Coqeulin
    A new striker may seem to be the harshest of all positions i stated, but despite Giroud's form i still think we need a truly world class striker. Giroud goes through good and bad patches, but when he's off form he's bloody abysmal. As well as this, his stats are very good, but with the chances we create any half competent striker is able to get goals with the midfield behind them.

Possible signings that i think would take us to the required level?

GK: Lloris/Cech - both may be difficult due to rival teams, but I feel both could be able to force a move if they really wanted to join us

CB: Hummels - Yes he's much sought after, and after BVB's dissapoitning season his quality has been questioned somewhat, but i believe he'd be a large improvement on Mertesacker , with the potential to throw in Mertesacker/Podolski as part of any deal which would kill 2 birds with 1 stone

CDM: Schneiderlin is the obvious target. Him and Coqeulin as defensive options with Flamini as an emergency would be great

ST: Out of all the additions, probably last on my personal priorities , and by far the most costly. Cavani/Higuain would probably be the 2 we'd have any sort of chance of signing. Even then, Cavani would command a hefty fee from PSG.

These additions combined with the summer departures of Szeszny , Mertesacker, Arteta,Diaby, Podolski and POSSIBLY Wilshere (i really like him but i dont see him getting sufficient game time and City could put in a big bid in the summer) which could raise up to £50m would be the dream for me.

I do agree with you to a point.

A world class goalkeeper would be a nice addition however I feel that Ospina and Szczesny are good enough. However if we could get Cech on the cheap(won't happen, Mourinho isn't that stupid) then I'd completely go for it. Could possibly loan Szczesny out, got to remember he's still really young for a keeper.

I do like Mertesacker when he's paired with Koscielny but I also agree that he could be replaced. We'd have to let him go if we were to bring in a CB though as we have Chambers/Gabriel as back ups. I'd happily see us spend £30-40 million on someone like Varane. Don't know what his situation is at Madrid but he ticks all the boxes for me. Hummels would obviously be an upgrade on Per but I do think he is overrated.

Completely agree with Schneiderlin.

I really don't think we need to break the bank on a striker. We have Welbeck as a back up to Giroud with Alexis and Walcott who can both play up top if injuries require them to do so. I wouldn't be against us bringing in someone younger but no way should we be looking at Cavani or Higuian imo. I don't really rate Cavani that highly either, no way would he be worth the fee. Lacazette might be a nice addition.
  • Welbeck
    5217 posts Big Money Move
    Why do you think that we can just throw Mertesacker/Podolski at BVB because they're German? They are both practically the opposite of the BVB stereotype... Slow, average to bad technical skills, Podolskis work rate is non existent - not to mention that neither are that good. Mertesacker I'd definitely keep around because of his wealth of experience and apparent willingness to sacrifice himself on the pitch but still play a role off of it (see the World Cup). I don't think we need a proven world class striker to replace Giroud, but nor do I think that Welbeck is a reliable fill in - he's much better as a right winger or with someone else upfront - I'd like to get a younger player with a lot of potential who can come in when needed but when Giroud starts to decline - or goes back to being Giroud - they can fill in and take that spot for themselves.
  • Mesut 'the 10' Ozil
    2951 posts National Call-Up
    Hummels has been god awful this year. Don't want him for the price tag being branded about.
  • Adrian
    As I said a another striker is the last priority for me, however even if Giroud maintains this kind of form, top teams need more than 1 striker of at least his quality. Welbeck has looked much more effective on the flanks for us with his power and workrate, and whilst Alexis and Walcott can theoretically play up front it is not their best position, and I for one wouldnt feel comfortable about either starting there against a top half team. Lacazette is a good shout.

As for the BVB point, assuming they dont get CL football i think the club wil lcome to terms with the fact that players like Hummels will want to leave. At the end of the day Mertesacker isnt bad- just not up to the job in my opinion for a club like Arsenal against top oposition that you face commonly in the BPL. If BVB indeed do lose Hummels who is their leader in defence - why would a fellow German (can already communicate with teammates) , who has over 70 caps for Germany and is a leader be such a bad replacement, who is not on 100k+ week wages. Whilst it may be slightly idealistic I think both players would be on the kind of level BVB would be looking to purchase - either as a starter or more in Podolski's case as a sub.

Sadly, what is far more likely this summer is at best terminating Diaby's contract and possibly selling off Arteta + making Jenkos loan deal permemnant. In this scenario, i fail to see any position in which we could sign a first team player due to current numbers in each position.

As you said Chambers can be seen as another CB, meaning we have 4. 2 good full backs , 2 good goalkeepers. Potentially a spot in CDM but still we have at least Coqeulin+ Flamini, attacking midfield/outwide we're stacked and at striker Giroud , and technically Welbeck Walcott Alexis.
  • Adrian
    Also @ the point about Cech . Mourinho has made it clear he wont get in the way of a move for Cech, we've seen in the past he's been compassionate with a player wanting to leave to a BPL rival - although Arsenal now are more of a rival han Man United was when they sold Mata. This is why i think if Cech really wanted to come to Arsenal and forced a move, in the end CFC would give in. I''d definitely view him as more likely out the two i mentioned as Daniel Levy would likely hold us to ransom :lol:
  • Bob Loblaw
    11247 posts Has That Special Something
    Arbeloa makes no sense whatsoever when you have Bellerin, a player who intelligently models himself after Glen Johnson.
    Could you imagine if Arsenal signed Glen Johnson in the summer as a sort of mentor and competitor for Bellerin? Stuff of dreams
  • Adrian
    Bob Loblaw wrote: »
    Arbeloa makes no sense whatsoever when you have Bellerin, a player who intelligently models himself after Glen Johnson.
    Could you imagine if Arsenal signed Glen Johnson in the summer as a sort of mentor and competitor for Bellerin? Stuff of dreams
    Would be on par with when we were linked to signing Gareth Barry to fill our Vieira void before he went on loan to Everton.
  • RollsReus
    1465 posts Professional
    I wouldn't be against Higuain. He adds a new dimension to the strike force. He's a poacher, though.
  • Do you reckon we will sign a ST? I'm quite sure we wont. Think he has his guys in Welbeck, Sanchez and OG.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    No chance. Sanogo and Akpom are also returning.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sanogo hasn't even played 300 minutes for Palace. It's been a pretty wasted load deal so I suspect he'll probably go on load again.
  • Sanogo hasn't even played 300 minutes for Palace. It's been a pretty wasted load deal so I suspect he'll probably go on load again.

No idea why Wenger sent him there to be honest. Such a stupid move considering how stacked on strikers they are. Bordeaux he'd have started every game and this bollocks about premier league experience is so stupid. Playing for a team that has nothing to play for, compared to challenging for Europe in Ligue 1. Ok.
  • Welbeck
    5217 posts Big Money Move
    He's been injured.
  • Welbeck wrote: »
    He's been injured.
    He's been available for their last 2 and has a combined whopping 17 minutes...No doubt he won't start this weekend too.
  • Conor Afc
    388 posts Sunday League Hero
    Do you reckon we will sign a ST? I'm quite sure we wont. Think he has his guys in Welbeck, Sanchez and OG.
    No. I think we'll sign a winger though.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sanogo hasn't even played 300 minutes for Palace. It's been a pretty wasted load deal so I suspect he'll probably go on load again.

No idea why Wenger sent him there to be honest. Such a stupid move considering how stacked on strikers they are. Bordeaux he'd have started every game and this bollocks about premier league experience is so stupid. Playing for a team that has nothing to play for, compared to challenging for Europe in Ligue 1. Ok.
    Agreed. Any potential difference in quality between Ligue 1 and the PL would have been offset if he'd have gotten the game time we suspected he might have had at Bordeaux.
  • Mark
    Conor Afc wrote: »
    Do you reckon we will sign a ST? I'm quite sure we wont. Think he has his guys in Welbeck, Sanchez and OG.
    No. I think we'll sign a winger though.

Why? We really don't need one