Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Ashy
    16946 posts World Class
    edited September 14
    See with Liverpool I could see Klopp leaving in 2024 for the Germany job with Flick wanting to return to club football and them essentially swapping after Euro 2024. Maybe Nagelsmann wants a crack at the PL after being at Bayern for 3 years? Or Gerrard or Alonso progress well as managers by then and step up to the plate.
  • arsenalap
    11081 posts Has That Special Something
    VVD4 wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Bobo23 wrote: »
    I don't want this to come across as ignorant, but I just don't see Arsenal coming anywhere near the top 4 for a long while as yet.

Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United will just keep adding to their squads and strengthening and keeping that distance from Arsenal imo. I just don't see the Arsenal squad any better than a Europa League quality team.

But maybe winning the Europa League would be a great way for you guys to break back into the Champions League. The Europa League could be a very good stepping stone to finally getting back to where you should be!

Yeah that’s the other thing. Their theory relies on Arsenal getting better whilst the other clubs stand still or go backwards after 2 years or so. I’d argue that there is more chance of the big 4 improving than any of the teams below them.

Sure, Klopp might go. Pep might go. But these clubs will have the pull to secure the best manager around at the time one needs recruiting.

What managers would you pull?

Who do you think can replace those two. Happy to hear some names.

How am I supposed to know what the landscape is in 2-3 years time?

Out of every current manager who would you like at Liverpool to replace Klopp?

Not a hard question. Maybe someone will come out of nowhere in 2 years but ignore that.
  • Ahmer50x
    30772 posts National Team Captain
    Steven Gerrard should take a mid table Prem job soon IMO

If he does a good job there paired with Rangers’ first title in a decade, he should be considered to replace Klopp.
  • VVD4
    1728 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 14
    I don't want this to come across as ignorant, but I just don't see Arsenal coming anywhere near the top 4 for a long while as yet.

Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United will just keep adding to their squads and strengthening and keeping that distance from Arsenal imo. I just don't see the Arsenal squad any better than a Europa League quality team.

But maybe winning the Europa League would be a great way for you guys to break back into the Champions League. The Europa League could be a very good stepping stone to finally getting back to where you should be!

Yeah that’s the other thing. Their theory relies on Arsenal getting better whilst the other clubs stand still or go backwards after 2 years or so. I’d argue that there is more chance of the big 4 improving than any of the teams below them.

Sure, Klopp might go. Pep might go. But these clubs will have the pull to secure the best manager around at the time one needs recruiting.

Not a hard question. Maybe someone will come out of nowhere in 2 years but ignore that.

I don’t really understand how picking one now is relevant in any way?

But if I have to answer it, Conte would probably come in a heartbeat. Even the likes of Gerrard would likely do well with the current squad we’ve got and would also come in a heartbeat, as well as a few current impressive PL managers like Potter. I’d love to see what Bielsa could do with our squad and I very much doubt he would turn us down. Rodgers would probably jump at a second chance with us now that he has much more experience. I reckon Tuchel would seriously consider switching to a more prestigious club with a deeper history too. I feel he would love to be the guy Klopp hands the reigns over to, knowing his ego.

Edit: big shoutout to Pep Lijnders too.
  • Shshj
    9019 posts League Winner
    Conte at Liverpool would be utterly fascinating. I’m sure he’d kill it with that squad, but I’m not sure he’d rub well with FSG.
  • Stlducks
    7235 posts Big Money Move

But if I have to answer it, Conte would probably come in a heartbeat. Even the likes of Gerrard would likely do well with the current squad we’ve got and would also come in a heartbeat, as well as a few current impressive PL managers like Potter. I’d love to see what Bielsa could do with our squad and I very much doubt he would turn us down. Rodgers would probably jump at a second chance with us now that he has much more experience. I reckon Tuchel would seriously consider switching to a more prestigious club with a deeper history too. I feel he would love to be the guy Klopp hands the reigns over to, knowing his ego.

Every manager you listed is worse than Klopp and has failed at the PL or has not had a top job yet. I can easily see you guys falling apart with one of them in charge.

Like @arsenalap said, it’s impossible to predict how the league looks in two years time. Teams cycle often depending on injuries, players aging, clubs not meshing, etc..
  • arsenalap
    Stlducks wrote: »

Every manager you listed is worse than Klopp and has failed at the PL or has not had a top job yet. I can easily see you guys falling apart with one of them in charge.

Like @arsenalap said, it’s impossible to predict how the league looks in two years time. Teams cycle often depending on injuries, players aging, clubs not meshing, etc..

Exactly what I was hinting at.

Not a whole lot of top coaches around atm.

Nobody will come close to Klopp from that list.
  • Kellnerr
    4687 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    See with Liverpool I could see Klopp leaving in 2024 for the Germany job with Flick wanting to return to club football and them essentially swapping after Euro 2024. Maybe Nagelsmann wants a crack at the PL after being at Bayern for 3 years? Or Gerrard or Alonso progress well as managers by then and step up to the plate.

Really like that idea of a swap with Flick actually when the time has come.
  • G000ner
    7094 posts Big Money Move
    @VVD4 did just say the only reason Liverpool aren't mid-table is because of Klopp, I'd hate to think what happens when he leaves.
  • VVD4
    1728 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 14
    G000ner wrote: »
    @VVD4 did just say the only reason Liverpool aren't mid-table is because of Klopp, I'd hate to think what happens when he leaves.

Nonsense comment. He would be leaving us a very, very different Liverpool to the one he inherited.
  • Cyodine
    3873 posts National Call-Up
    I think that Pep Lijnders will get an opportunity and if that doesn't go well, then possibly Gerrard. I'd like Gerrard to get more experience before we pursue him as I wouldn't want him to flop like Lamps/Arteta/Ole.
  • Ashy
    16946 posts World Class
    edited September 15
    Not surprised, both clubs are in a difficult spot to challenge for the title, at best he could get both challenging for the UCL, and that's not for him
  • El_Nino
    8596 posts League Winner
    No surprise their, the man is a serial winner, and never a long term option, neither Arsenal or Spurs make any sort of sense for either party.
  • Cyodine
    If Tuchel gets sacked, then I could see Conte return to win another title at Chelsea,
  • Ahmer50x
    Cyodine wrote: »
    If Tuchel gets sacked, then I could see Conte return to win another title at Chelsea,

Nah, he left in a very nasty manner. Legal disputes and all. He's never going back there.
  • Wyojasond
    17382 posts World Class
    Yeah I think Conte is Manchester bound as his next stop. Whether that’s to replace Pep after he calls it a day, or if Ole slips up and United decides to upgrade.

Somebody brought it up yesterday, but it would be interesting to see him at Liverpool. Don’t see it ever happening, but could be a crazy good combo.
  • VVD4
    1728 posts Play-Off Hero
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    Yeah I think Conte is Manchester bound as his next stop. Whether that’s to replace Pep after he calls it a day, or if Ole slips up and United decides to upgrade.

Somebody brought it up yesterday, but it would be interesting to see him at Liverpool. Don’t see it ever happening, but could be a crazy good combo.

He would cream his pants at the chance to have VVD, Matip and Gomez/Konate as his back 3, with Robbo and TAA on the flanks.
  • arsenalap
    I feel like Liverpool is set up for a back 3 once Klopp goes tbh
  • Cyodine

He would cream his pants at the chance to have VVD, Matip and Gomez/Konate as his back 3, with Robbo and TAA on the flanks.

Conte would love our team, such a ready made team for the likes of him.
  • El_Nino
    8596 posts League Winner
    Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Conte back at Chelsea one day despite how it was left.

Definitely agree he's Manchester bound though I think.
  • VVD4
    1728 posts Play-Off Hero

It literally is. I can’t even think what he would change.

I wonder who he’d try to sign in his first transfer window.
  • Cyodine

It literally is. I can’t even think what he would change.

I wonder who he’d try to sign in his first transfer window.

He likes his Target Men, so that could be an area he might want to invest in. I think he could do well without the traditional centre forward as Mane and Salah up top get the job done.

I could see him lining up with a 3-5-2 and having loads of success with our team.
  • Ahmer50x

I just wonder if our frustrations with Mourinho's public persona and Ronaldo's past success with Zidane might nudge us more towards Zizou if Ole went next summer hypothetically.
  • Ashy
    16946 posts World Class
    If Ramsdale has a good performance on Saturday it's hard to just take him out, would be 3 games 3 clean sheets potentially. Arteta shouldn't be making promises like this.
  • G000ner
  • Stlducks
    7235 posts Big Money Move
    Maybe I’m confused what the list is but How is Martinelli on that list? I know he has potential but 2 goals last season is not enough to add him for any award.
  • G000ner
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Maybe I’m confused what the list is but How is Martinelli on that list? I know he has potential but 2 goals last season is not enough to add him for any award.

I don't know how they decide the nominees. Martinelli has been injured a lot recently so hasn't played much this year and hasn't been as good as when he first burst onto the scene. Still you'd probably put him within the "top 40 players under 21", if that's what they're going for.

Smith Rowe has been better this year and I personally think he has more potential than both Saka and Martinelli. Still quite underrated by those outside the club I feel. Not for long.
  • Ahmer50x

As if he's literally citing Ted Lasso as an inspiration now :joy: