Arsenal Football Club

Comments

  • RollsReus
    1661 posts Play-Off Hero
    Suggesting Xhaka only brings passing to the team is nonsense.

    He's essentially still the club captain and ranks very highly for progressive play. Not to mention that he also drifts into the lb position to allow Tierney to attack in the manner that he does.
  • Pughy30
    29409 posts Player of the Year
    The stats don''t lie, we need better than Xhaka, he doesn't score/assist, doesn't tackle, intercept or pressure we need someone with more energy

  • RollsReus
    1661 posts Play-Off Hero
    Farmers league though, innit.

    In all seriousness, you can't compare. I've never watched Guimaraes so cannot comment.


    Anyways...

  • Ahmer50x
    30397 posts National Team Captain
    "Arteta intends to bring in further additions. They have made three bids for the Sheffield United goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, while a playmaker and a striker are also among those sought, but may have to be patient. There is a need to raise money but a sizeable number of fringe players are yet to be moved on, while question marks hang over the futures of senior players such as Héctor Bellerín and Granit Xhaka. Both would be open to moves away but deals may be difficult to complete and they may still begin the campaign in Arteta’s plans." -The Guardian

    That's now The Guardian and The Athletic that have mentioned ST in the past 24 hrs. Maybe that's where you'll be sending the unspent midfielder funds from Xhaka staying?
  • Ahmer50x
    30397 posts National Team Captain


    I always forget Mustafi cost that much :joy:
  • G000ner
    6895 posts Big Money Move
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    I disagree on the replacements not being better than him I’d much rather have someone like Guimaraes, Xhaka’s stats don’t lie all he does is pass but he isn’t elite at that

    I'm more than happy to sell him, but only if we can replace him with a better midfielder. It just seems stupid to sell him for £10m, only to then spend £40m on Neves.

    There isn't really many better midfielders that we have a realistic chance of signing. Guimaraes maybe, but at this point it's only a rumour and no guarantee he'd want to come here.

    I think we've reached a point where Xhaka is no longer the weak link. We're no better than a top 6 side and that's about the level Xhaka is at. Replacing him isn't the priority until we get back into the top 4. We'd have to be desperate to sell him for 10m.
  • Shshj
    8512 posts League Winner
    I like that signing. Is he worth £50m? No, but he’s still and improvement for Arsenal & will slot in seamlessly.

    It feels very similar to the Maguire deal (albeit Maguire is a better player coming from a bigger club).
  • Ahmer50x
    30397 posts National Team Captain
    Shshj wrote: »
    I like that signing. Is he worth £50m? No, but he’s still and improvement for Arsenal & will slot in seamlessly.

    It feels very similar to the Maguire deal (albeit Maguire is a better player coming from a bigger club).

    Agreed.
  • Ahmer50x
    30397 posts National Team Captain
    Only just clocked Arteta gave White Saliba's number. He really hates him :joy:
  • RollsReus
    1661 posts Play-Off Hero
    A wee bit disrespectful but I'm always of the opinion that you have to earn prestigious numbers!
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    edited July 30
    Was stupid giving Saliba 4 anyway, having said that he's not played a single competitive game for us I believe so it's not completely disrespectful.

    Like Torreira wears the no.11 and doesn't even want to be here anymore, so I'd take his number and give it to Odegaard or Martinelli
  • Nem
    7705 posts League Winner
    Squad numbers should always be rejigged at the end of a season anyway. The obvious ones keep their numbers but then the likes of Torreira, Saliba etc all assigned new numbers that reflect their standing in the squad.
  • Ahmer50x
    30397 posts National Team Captain


    Yikes. Bellerin has been awful for quite some time.
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    Wow Xhaka I can kind of understand, he's a leader, a solid player and had a good season and Euros let's be honest. Midfielders in his position and role tend to peak around his age for the next 3 years too, he can be a good back up option if we ended up bringing another player in the starting 11.

    Now Bellerin has been in a rapid decline, not looked good since his injury and has lost his pace that got him out of situations years ago. He's not even a starter with Chambers ahead of him. Even Cedric would give him a battle for back up and he's on £100k/w.

    Loan him out with a cheap enough buy option the team may take it, something like €10m. Inter, Atletico, Betis, Sevilla whoever idc.
  • RollsReus
    1661 posts Play-Off Hero
    Seems to be big suggestions that Atleti will move for him if Trippier goes to Man Utd.

    It's hard to dislike Heccy. Such a great guy. Just hasn't been the same since the ACL injury. :(
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    I think Atletico would be open to selling Trippier and Saul to afford B Silva and Bellerin on loan
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    Bellerin on loan plus Lacazette plus like £55m would be what it takes
  • G000ner
    6895 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 31
    Just a question of if he wants to come to us. I have my doubts with South Americans playing in Italy/Spain, but what a massive signing that would be.

    Would you rather Odegaard + Neves or Aouar + Martinez (keep Xhaka). I know which one I'd prefer
  • Shshj
    8512 posts League Winner
    So Inter still need the money…

    Admittedly I’ve only seen limited amounts of Martinez but people say he’s extremely wasteful. Would still be something of a coup though.

    Between him and Maddison, Arsenal clearly upping their ambitions this summer.
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    edited July 31
    G000ner wrote: »
    Just a question of if he wants to come to us. I have my doubts with South Americans playing in Italy/Spain, but what a massive signing that would be.

    Would you rather Odegaard + Neves or Aouar + Martinez (keep Xhaka). I know which one I'd prefer

    We still don't know our budget that's the thing, but yes if Xhaka stays we probably have money to use for the striker but is it enough for Martinez? Unless we go for a cheaper AM which would be Odegaard (£40m) or Aouar (£25m)

    Either way it would be interesting to see if Martinez came even though we still haven't shifted Laca and Eddie because I don't see it unless Arsenal see this signing and a one off opportunity due to it being a buyer's market, could we perhaps have a 2 striker formation? I don't because where does that leave Saka/Pepe/Smith Rowe's postion
  • G000ner
    6895 posts Big Money Move
    Ashy wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    Just a question of if he wants to come to us. I have my doubts with South Americans playing in Italy/Spain, but what a massive signing that would be.

    Would you rather Odegaard + Neves or Aouar + Martinez (keep Xhaka). I know which one I'd prefer

    We still don't know our budget that's the thing, but yes if Xhaka stays we probably have money to use for the striker but is it enough for Martinez? Unless we go for a cheaper AM which would be Odegaard (£40m) or Aouar (£25m)

    Either way it would be interesting to see if Martinez came even though we still haven't shifted Laca and Eddie because I don't see it unless Arsenal see this signing and a one off opportunity due to it being a buyer's market, could we perhaps have a 2 striker formation? I don't because where does that leave Saka/Pepe/Smith Rowe's postion

    I think Martinez is one of the those one-off signings we won't be able to make next summer. We'll be able to bring in better midfielders, but probably not a better striker, especially with our current position.

    I think we'll need to shift Eddie and Laca (Laca probably included as part of the deal), but we could easily play a two striker formation because we already do. In fact signing Martinez makes it easier to get Pepe, ESR and Saka into the same team because it means we don't need to start Auba/Laca.

    Out of possession

    Martinez-Pepe
    ESR-Xhaka-Partey-Saka
    Tierney-Gabriel-White-Chambers
    Leno

    In possession

    Martinez-Pepe
    Tierney-ESR-Saka
    Partey-Chambers
    Xhaka-Gabriel-White
    Leno


    😍
  • G000ner
    6895 posts Big Money Move
    I wonder if we can give Auba to Inter? Probably not because of his wages, right?
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    G000ner wrote: »
    I wonder if we can give Auba to Inter? Probably not because of his wages, right?

    I don't think we are prepared to give up on Auba yet, but yes his wages are too much, unless he is willing to drop a little. Got to remember tax in Italy is like 10% or less compared to 45% here.

    Inter are only doing this for the money not player swaps. He's valued at like £70m I think, 2 years left on his deal, not sure how likely he is to extend but honestly Inter probably need to sell him this summer if that's the case and I'd expect it to be more like £60m/€70m.
  • G000ner
    6895 posts Big Money Move
    Ashy wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    I wonder if we can give Auba to Inter? Probably not because of his wages, right?

    I don't think we are prepared to give up on Auba yet, but yes his wages are too much, unless he is willing to drop a little. Got to remember tax in Italy is like 10% or less compared to 45% here.

    Inter are only doing this for the money not player swaps. He's valued at like £70m I think, 2 years left on his deal, not sure how likely he is to extend but honestly Inter probably need to sell him this summer if that's the case and I'd expect it to be more like £60m/€70m.

    They'd need the money, but surely they need another striker (and right back) We'd basically be giving them one for free if we offered 50m + Laca & Bellerin
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ashy wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    I wonder if we can give Auba to Inter? Probably not because of his wages, right?

    I don't think we are prepared to give up on Auba yet, but yes his wages are too much, unless he is willing to drop a little. Got to remember tax in Italy is like 10% or less compared to 45% here.

    Inter are only doing this for the money not player swaps. He's valued at like £70m I think, 2 years left on his deal, not sure how likely he is to extend but honestly Inter probably need to sell him this summer if that's the case and I'd expect it to be more like £60m/€70m.

    They'd need the money, but surely they need another striker (and right back) We'd basically be giving them one for free if we offered 50m + Laca & Bellerin

    Yeah I think they would take Bellerin on loan with let's say a €10m option to buy and let's say a £2.5m loan fee we know they want him. Laca with a year left if they are open to the transfer would probably be £10m honestly. But I don't see Lukaku and Laca starting together, he'd be a good back up though. So yeah about £50m cash plus them is what I'd expect.

    Arsenal probably need to hurry up though because if City don't get Kane they may look at Martinez and if Chelsea don't get Haaland they may look at Martinez or Vlahović. If Spurs sell Kane they may look at Martinez.
  • El_Nino
    8366 posts League Winner
    Martinez I would give you full credit on, that'd be a great signing honestly.

    I do wonder about how you'd play him as he definitely isn't a loan striker, wants a partner or plenty of support IMO, much like Werner or even Auba in that sense, with that in mind feels like an Auba replacement to me, don't see why you wouldn't try to use him in the deal, would be silly not too, as said wages could be the only stumbling block.
  • Fab
    19688 posts Club Captain
    Welcome Ben White!
  • arsenalap
    10599 posts Has That Special Something
    Leno
    Chambers - White - Gabriel - Tierney
    Partey - Guimarães
    Pepe - Odegaard - Auba
    Martinez

    Ramsdale
    Cedric - Holding - Mari - Tavares
    Lokonga - Xhaka
    Saka - ESR - Martinelli
    Balogun

    Okonkwo
    Elneny
    Nelson

    Then next summer sell Cedric and Elneny, promote Azeez and buy a RB.. one can hope..
  • Ashy
    16246 posts World Class
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Leno
    Chambers - White - Gabriel - Tierney
    Partey - Guimarães
    Pepe - Odegaard - Auba
    Martinez

    Ramsdale
    Cedric - Holding - Mari - Tavares
    Lokonga - Xhaka
    Saka - ESR - Martinelli
    Balogun

    Okonkwo
    Elneny
    Nelson

    Then next summer sell Cedric and Elneny, promote Azeez and buy a RB.. one can hope..

    Sorry did you just put Saka on the bench? :D
Sign In or Register to comment.