Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    29336 posts Player of the Year
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Tom Worville did a piece for the athletic with a few other Arsenal writers that explains why you want a new RCB so badly. Really good read if you’ve got a subscription but here’s the gist of it:

-Kounde was the first choice but it’s not viable so you’re trying for White

-In your buildup, the RCB splits wide as a midfielder drops deep and has to cover the channel. While Luiz was good at it, Holding, Saliba, etc are not viewed as being able to handle that. You want some RB-esque qualities and White is viewed to have those given he played in a back 3 on the right and some RB too.

-White also offers Luiz-style playmaker potential from the back, which the others don’t have as much. Arsenal view him not just as a defender but an attacking asset to help fix the low goals scored

This is a possibility if we're to play the exact same system as last season, but the question is why are we so fixated on that system? Saliba is incredibly good playing out the back, it's probably his strongest asset. To add to that, Saliba literally played as a RCB for St. Etienne, where he played his best football. I know White has played right-back, but signing on him on that basis alone seems stupid to me.

There is no Athletic piece that can convince me that not even giving Saliba a chance there and then spending 50m on a low priority position, is a good idea.

Yeah, I said earlier I don’t know why Saliba isn’t getting a chance either. Just seems like Arteta doesn’t like him.

The good news for Saliba though is you’ll probably have a new manager by Christmas. I don’t see Arteta surviving the tough start + having to bed in half a dozen players. Not saying he can’t do it if given time, but I don’t think you’ll be patient after last season.
  • Ashy
    15086 posts World Class

Despite signing a new contract last summer, James Madison's camp is not closing the door to the idea of him leaving Leicester City this summer.#جرس_أرسنال He understands that members of the player's camp have notified Arsenal that the player is open to a new challenge if a suitable offer arrives this summer.
  • Ahmer50x

Looks like it’ll take one more bid.

I’d imagine that’s also true for Ben White so you can expect some signings by the end of the month IMO
  • Pughy30
    29189 posts Player of the Year
    Our obsession with signing players out of contract is just tragic it's not even smart business
  • Ashy
    15086 posts World Class
    Yeah no chance Maddison happens unless it's £60m or less
  • G000ner
    6451 posts Big Money Move
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

:D
    This is why we need to avoid the PL all together, waste of money
  • Pughy30
  • Ahmer50x
    Arteta ❤️❤️❤️❤️ hates the guy :joy:
  • Ashy
    15086 posts World Class
    If we do get White and they don't give him a chance I can only hope he gets loaned, he's still got 3 years left and there is no point selling for a loss in this market.
  • G000ner
    If we're never gonna play him, just sell him. With 2 years on his contract he's gonna be worth less
  • Ashy
    15086 posts World Class
    edited June 22
    If we're never gonna play him, just sell him. With 2 years on his contract he's gonna be worth less

Thing is he could easily outlast the manager if he has a 6-12 month loan.

He could go to Newcastle on loan for example and absolutely kill it and look like a £40-50m player.

No way do I want to sell him without giving him a chance, I absolutely do not rate Arteta's man management
  • Ahmer50x
    Season long Prem loan makes sense.

If he’s good and Arteta’s gone, he comes back. If he’s bad or Arteta stays, you can sell for a bit less next year
  • Ahmer50x
    edited June 22

Aston Villa are making things unnecessarily difficult for you this summer :joy:

First bid was 25m. Wonder how high they have to go before you think about selling?
  • G000ner
    80m might do it
  • Ashy
    15086 posts World Class
    edited June 22
    We won't think about selling unless Smith Rowe rejects the new contract and we won't go any higher on his wages. Then we will think about selling for I'd say £50-60m. Don't expect Villa's second bid to be any higher than £30m.

Smith Rowe loves the club I just think his agent is doing a good job and getting him the best deal possible and is feeding info back to Villa on his uncertainty to get him more money. I think he's on 20k a week now and we are probably offering like £70-80k and he's trying to get £100k. I don't blame him with the wages other guys are getting here.

But Ornstein, Watts and Fabrizio are all confident he signs a new deal.
  • Farlz
    9564 posts League Winner
    As much as it would be funny again, I really don't understand why we're bothering with this. There's basically zero chance we sign him.

His agent is clearly doing his best to get more money on his new contract.
  • Nem
    7588 posts League Winner
    Ashy wrote: »
    We won't think about selling unless Smith Rowe rejects the new contract and we won't go any higher on his wages. Then we will think about selling for I'd say £50-60m. Don't expect Villa's second bid to be any higher than £30m.

Smith Rowe loves the club I just think his agent is doing a good job and getting him the best deal possible and is feeding info back to Villa on his uncertainty to get him more money. I think he's on 20k a week now and we are probably offering like £70-80k and he's trying to get £100k. I don't blame him with the wages other guys are getting here.

But Ornstein, Watts and Fabrizio are all confident he signs a new deal.

What's he had, a decent half season in his career? And here we are talking about him going straight onto £80k+ a week for his next deal. Madness I tell ya, madness.
  • Ahmer50x
    In their piece on Varane, The Athletic say “Madrid are open to offers for Eden Hazard, Gareth Bale, Isco, Martin Odegaard and Luka Jovic.”

Odegaard is your first target at CAM so wouldn’t shock me if you make a big bid to get him back
  • Ahmer50x
    …and the athletic have got that wrong

• G000ner
    Glad we didn't sign Buendia just so we can not sign Odegaard and Maddison. This is gonna be an awful summer
  • Ahmer50x
    Glad we didn't sign Buendia just so we can not sign Odegaard and Maddison. This is gonna be an awful summer

It's such a mixed summer for you guys so far.

Your CAM situation is a mess and the Saliba situation is even worse.

On the other hand though, White+Lokonga look close and you've got a raft of exits lined up to raise funds.
  • Ashy
    15086 posts World Class
    Just go with original plan, Aouar at a discounted price
  • G000ner
    Would prefer Aouar to both Odegaard and Maddison tbf
  • G000ner
    I just read the Odegaard interview, he basically said Madrid want him back for pre-season and he's a Madrid player, nothing more.

Don't want him particularly, but certainly wouldn't rule out anything based on that
  • Pughy30
    If we was Arsenal of a decade ago this would’ve been a probable deal but I don’t know why he’d join us over Juve, guaranteed playing time is the only incentive
  • Ashy
    15086 posts World Class
    Arteta would have to work his magic and convince him.

We could just outbid Juventus too but again we have to get past stage one of convincing the player to come.

Can't see it happening honestly