Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    29450 posts Player of the Year
    tilen11 wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »

It goes from bad to worse. Our academy keeper is already better than Ramsdale. Buy homegrown players sure, just don't overpay on players who aren't good enough

Yeah, I’m a big fan of buying homegrown but Ramsdale is awful

Ramsdale is the one who constantly saves every single ❤️❤️❤️❤️ shot when he plays against Liverpool. Depends on the price i would say. He isnt terrible imo.

He’s had a few good games but not impressive on the whole. Sam Johnstone is well clear among the relegated English keepers.
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    edited June 16
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Your club is a joke at times honestly, unless you have some 200mill transfer budget hiding somewhere then paying 40-50mill for White is an awful option.

Have to agree with that. His England debut really pushed his price up or Brighton are just greedy. Dont get me wrong, White is fantastic but when we were interested in him mid season, his price was at about 30m.
    Imo spending more than 35m on White is daylight robbery.

His price wasn't £30m, they rejected £30m I believe from Leeds in the summer and that was before he showed he can do it in the Prem. Guy is only 23 and has potential to be an England starter in a few years once he hits his peak years. I can see why they want £45m-50m
  • El_Nino
    7948 posts League Winner
    Pietu wrote: »
    Your club is a joke at times honestly, unless you have some 200mill transfer budget hiding somewhere then paying 40-50mill for White is an awful option.

Not everyone can have a shady Russian Oligarch as their owner.

I don't mean its embarrassing they don't have that much to spend, I'm saying there management of the funds they do have is appalling.
  • El_Nino
    7948 posts League Winner
    Ashy wrote: »

Have to agree with that. His England debut really pushed his price up or Brighton are just greedy. Dont get me wrong, White is fantastic but when we were interested in him mid season, his price was at about 30m.

His price wasn't £30m, they rejected £30m I believe from Leeds in the summer and that was before he showed he can do it in the Prem. Guy is only 23 and has potential to be an England starter in a few years once he hits his peak years. I can see why they want £45m-50m

I actually don't think the price is that bad, it's inflated because young and English, and I do personally think there's better options out there for the price, but I don't think it's horrible.

I just think 50 mill on any CB for Arsenal is a poor choice.
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class

I actually don't think the price is that bad, it's inflated because young and English, and I do personally think there's better options out there for the price, but I don't think it's horrible.

Completely agree, unless we are about to spend £150-200m this summer. I also don't think White is the answer to our defence, don't see him as a good partner for Gabriel if I'm totally honest, always said we need an experienced head, leader type centre back to help Gabriel and Saliba who should be the future. Not sure who that would be though
  • El_Nino
    7948 posts League Winner

Completely agree, unless we are about to spend £150-200m this summer. I also don't think White is the answer to our defence, don't see him as a good partner for Gabriel if I'm totally honest, always said we need an experienced head, leader type centre back to help Gabriel and Saliba who should be the future. Not sure who that would be though

Yeah I really don't know who would be the right choice, but spending 10-20 mill on a solid CB who is 30ish with good experience, and leaving the extra cash for midfield and attack reinforcements seems a much better idea.
  • Ahmer50x

I actually really rate this if you can get it done tbh despite the fee

I’m a big fan of Maddison.
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    edited June 16
    One thing I will say is I think Leicester will secretly welcome the bid, I'm not sure Maddison suits them for some reason with Ndidi and Tielemans, he's never had more than 13 non penalty goal contributions in the 3 PL seasons he's been there. Can see Leicester eyeing up an alternative that suits them more.

Odegaard isn't happening, Buendia to be fair may have been on the list but he operates better from the right so it's probably a good idea we didn't push hard for him. Definitely an option but I can't see it happening unless we are confident we can make like £100m in sales
  • arsenalap
    9771 posts League Winner
    Don't rate Maddison
  • Ahmer50x
    One thing I will say is I think Leicester will secretly welcome the bid, I'm not sure Maddison suits them for some reason with Ndidi and Tielemans, he's never had more than 13 non penalty goal contributions in the 3 PL seasons he's been there. Can see Leicester eyeing up an alternative that suits them more.

Odegaard isn't happening, Buendia to be fair may have been on the list but he operates better from the right so it's probably a good idea we didn't push hard for him. Definitely an option but I can't see it happening unless we are confident we can make like £100m in sales

They might just be eyeing a 433 with Ndidi and Tielemens+Soumare either side
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    I wish I could get a look at this 'list'
  • Ahmer50x
    Partey/Neves
    Maddison

That’s one hell of a midfield IMO even if it probably isn’t quite worth the near 150m you’d have spent on it.
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    What I will say is I think our no.1 target for the CM position may be Camavinga. Neves is a back up option I think. Again they are not similar players but play in a similar position. Apparently Rennes have given him until June 28th to sign an extension or they will be offering him around Europe.

PSG were interested but with Wijnaldum coming in I'm not sure they need another CM. Options are disappearing for Camavinga and it's probably an opportunity we would jump on.
  • El_Nino
    7948 posts League Winner
    Not to be overly negative, and I did say the same thing about him being linked to Chelsea, but I think Maddison would be a terrible signing, not a top 4 quality player imo, he'll flop if he gets a big move IMO.

Same as I said for Chelsea over 60 mill got Maddison is nearly Grealish money, it's pretty clear cut who id sooner have.
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    Fabrizio saying we have not given up on Odegaard yet, even if there is a 1% chance we can get him we will be in. At what point do we pull the plug and look at back up options?

Watch this get dragged out until late August and we sign Ramsey or Oscar on a deadline day loan.
  • Shshj
    7800 posts League Winner
    I don’t like Maddison - not at that price. As someone said above, I think Leicester would be pretty glad to let him go.

They may have different roles but Ndidi and Tielemans are better players, now they’re adding Soumare to that too.
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    Looks like we have a clear shot at White and are being aggressive so could get done.

Liverpool were interested before but went with Konate, Man Utd are in for a centre back but are linked with Torres and Kounde. Chelsea were reportedly in for a centre back earlier on but it seems like their are only targeting 3 positions (RWB, DM, ST).
  • Pughy30
    29204 posts Player of the Year
    100mil+ for Maddison and White is ridiculous, just shows how bad our scouting is.
  • Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    edited June 17

‏Arsenal ended their interest in Bertrand and will target a younger option who we are already in talks with
  • yosef167
    2425 posts Fans' Favourite

‏Arsenal ended their interest in Bertrand and will target a younger option who we are already in talks with

just to help you translate the second part
    it says Arsenal are in talks with a younger option (not will target) that AFC bell doesnt know his identity who will arrive as a Option for the Future
  • Ahmer50x
    Tom Worville did a piece for the athletic with a few other Arsenal writers that explains why you want a new RCB so badly. Really good read if you’ve got a subscription but here’s the gist of it:

-Kounde was the first choice but it’s not viable so you’re trying for White

-In your buildup, the RCB splits wide as a midfielder drops deep and has to cover the channel. While Luiz was good at it, Holding, Saliba, etc are not viewed as being able to handle that. You want some RB-esque qualities and White is viewed to have those given he played in a back 3 on the right and some RB too.

-White also offers Luiz-style playmaker potential from the back, which the others don’t have as much. Arsenal view him not just as a defender but an attacking asset to help fix the low goals scored
  • G000ner
    6470 posts Big Money Move
    Tom Worville did a piece for the athletic with a few other Arsenal writers that explains why you want a new RCB so badly. Really good read if you’ve got a subscription but here’s the gist of it:

-Kounde was the first choice but it’s not viable so you’re trying for White

-In your buildup, the RCB splits wide as a midfielder drops deep and has to cover the channel. While Luiz was good at it, Holding, Saliba, etc are not viewed as being able to handle that. You want some RB-esque qualities and White is viewed to have those given he played in a back 3 on the right and some RB too.

-White also offers Luiz-style playmaker potential from the back, which the others don’t have as much. Arsenal view him not just as a defender but an attacking asset to help fix the low goals scored

This is a possibility if we're to play the exact same system as last season, but the question is why are we so fixated on that system? Saliba is incredibly good playing out the back, it's probably his strongest asset. To add to that, Saliba literally played as a RCB for St. Etienne, where he played his best football. I know White has played right-back, but signing on him on that basis alone seems stupid to me.

There is no Athletic piece that can convince me that not even giving Saliba a chance there and then spending 50m on a low priority position, is a good idea.
  • G000ner
    Instead why aren't we offering 50m for Isak? This is a bigger priority
  • arsenalap
    9771 posts League Winner
    Saliba can play that role surely...

He has played in a back 3 and can play from deep.
  • G000ner
    I do like our signing of Lokonga, but my god the rest of the players we've been linked with recently have been worrying
  • G000ner
    What I don't get is why we're trying to sign carbon copies of all the players we're replacing.

1. Ben White to play the 'Luiz role'
    2. Neves to play the 'Xhaka role'
    3. Odegaard because he was ok for us last season
    4. Maddison because he's the closest player to Odegaard, who was ok for us last season
    5. Onana to replace Leno as a keeper who's a great shot stopper, but dodgy in the air

What's next - Bernard to replace Willian?

We're absolutely obsessed with signing "proven" players in a "proven system" and we're having to pay ridiculous fees to get them, rather than intelligent scouting of cheaper players abroad.

Our team last season wasn't good enough, we had to adapt the system to get decent performances out of them.

Why are we buying players to fit the system that was specifically tailored for last season's group of players, when those players weren't good enough. Instead, we should be buying better players and tweaking the system slightly based on the players we bring in.

Losing a lot of faith in Arteta and Edu here.

• Ashy
    15170 posts World Class
    Rather than Neves I would like us to go for Camavinga or Bissouma have 2 solid holders and let the front 4 do their thing (Saka, Pepe, Smith Rowe, new attacking mid, striker)

Full backs will provide creativity too so why not have 2 defensive minded in the pivot.

Odegaard I don't want if I'm honest, he doesn't contribute enough goals or assists. Maddison can provide that but so can other options that should be cheaper.

Ben White I can understand the signing, we need an improvement on Holding and he doesn't rate Saliba unfortunately so is what it is. Saliba - Gabriel would be a risk and if we have the money why not.

Onana is much better than Leno with his feet and is an improvement on Leno for our play not to mention the fee is very low.
  • G000ner
    I like the Onana signing, was just taking the ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

I do like White and yes I suppose he'd be able to play with Gabriel, whereas Saliba probably wouldn't. Still it feels like we're giving up on Saliba far too soon. There's no place for him unless we sell Holding, even then there's not really a place for him long term since White is so young. Just can't ever agree to spending 50m on a centre back when we already have Saliba, even though White would probably be good for us.

The rest I just feel like there's better options, they're too similar to what we have/had already and not really improvements.