Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Ashy
    12032 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Suggestion is of a short term loan rather than a loan to buy.

That would be a very last case scenario due to us needing room to bring a foreign midfielder in such as Aouar or Partey,

17 non-homegrown players over 21 world be..

1. Aubameyang
    2. Leno
    3. David Luiz
    4. Willian
    5. Pepe
    6. Lacazette
    7. Xhaka
    8. Gabriel
    9. Ceballos
    10. Pablo Mari
    11. Cedric
    12. Tierney
    13. Elneny
    14. Kolasinac?
    15. Torreira?
    16. Sokratis?
    17. Ozil?
    18. Mustafi?

Bellerin HG
    Chambers HG
    Holding HG
    Maitland Niles HG
    Macey HG

Saka U21
    Guendouzi U21
    Martinelli U21
    Saliba U21
    Nelson U21
    Willock U21
    Nketiah U21

I believe that is everyone, the 5 question marks are players we are trying to move on from the non-howngrown section or players we could leave out. Why choose Ozil if he is never going to play, same with Mustafi?

We can only have 17 and we have 18 right now, Sokratis will leave I'm sure of it even to Napoli for free. That makes it 17. Now we need to move another one on, Kola will be hard due to wages unless Leverkusen or West Ham come in, Mustafi is injured and would likely make the 17. So we are down to Ozil and Torreira, one must leave or be left out to find an incoming in. Also it's an issue for Martinez replacement we really need a HG back up keeper not the Icelandic guy otherwise you need to fit him in the 17.
  • Stlducks
    3231 posts National Call-Up
    @Ashy good summary, having a backup GK as HG should be what all clubs do. A spot rarely used and is just wasting a non-HG position.

Do you think Elneny stays now? I know he started last match but once everyone is fit and available, would he really be used often outside of cup games that a youth player could be used in?
  • Ashy
    Stlducks wrote: »
    @Ashy good summary, having a backup GK as HG should be what all clubs do. A spot rarely used and is just wasting a non-HG position.

Do you think Elneny stays now? I know he started last match but once everyone is fit and available, would he really be used often outside of cup games that a youth player could be used in?

The issue is we don't have a young player that is a defensive midfielder or deep midfielder, Willock, Smith Rowe, Saka and AMN can all play central midfield but are more attacking. Guendouzi is probably the only one but I class him as more of a ball progressive midfielder, not a great tackler. Elneny has shown he can do a good job and will be a good back up to Xhaka, nobody willing to pay more than a couple of million for him and no point loaning him when he is on like 50k a week which is good for a back up top 6 team.
  • Ashy
    Wonder who Auba turned down to stay then, 2 bids, got to assume one is Barca
  • CaTriEm
    1896 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ashy wrote: »
    Wonder who Auba turned down to stay then, 2 bids, got to assume one is Barca

Chinese/Saudi/Qatari club I would guess.
  • CaTriEm
    1896 posts Play-Off Hero
    Heard a journalist claim that the Arsenal team have benefitted by the lack of crowds in comparison to a team like Liverpool who are 'less of a force' without a packed Anfield.

Agree or disagree?
  • El_Nino
    6409 posts Big Money Move
    CaTriEm wrote: »
    Heard a journalist claim that the Arsenal team have benefitted by the lack of crowds in comparison to a team like Liverpool who are 'less of a force' without a packed Anfield.

Agree or disagree?

Can’t see why Arsenal would benefit?

I can definitely see why teams like Liverpool would suffer without it though.
  • Pxul_
    9726 posts League Winner
    Because their fans are toxic
  • CaTriEm
    1896 posts Play-Off Hero
    El_Nino wrote: »

Agree or disagree?

The journalist didn't explain his reasoning but I inferred that he meant that it had taken some pressure off the 'Arteta Rebuild' in that they could focus solely on the football. You see it quite often with the 'bigger' clubs when a game is not going their way fans become restless and that tension can transfer onto the pitch.

There's also the argument that the Arsenal home support just hasn't been the same since the move from Highbury, though I can't comment on that with any validity.
  • Stlducks
    El_Nino wrote: »

Agree or disagree?

I have heard a few Arsenal fans actually say the team and fan base probably benefited from fans not being around the grounds. The team was playing bad, fans were not happy, players were frustrated (look at the Xhaka incident last season). So having a few months away from each other was good for everyone.

Jim Campbell on the Football Ramble is an Arsenal fan and he explained it as a needed break. When he was at games the ground seemed tense, fans were just waiting for one thing to go wrong before they turned on players or the board. Having fans not there and letting Arteta put his plans in place without the tension from fans was big for Arsenal.
  • El_Nino
    Toxic fan base then basically, I guess you get it to an extent everywhere, but yeah it is as bad at Arsenal as it is anywhere I guess.

Maybe that will help then this season, I am excited to see what Arteta can do.
  • Ashy
    20200915-161822.jpg
  • Ashy
  • Stlducks
    While I think Arsenal are really overdoing the whole "this is a family" and "London is red" on social media (especially after letting go of 55 family members). I have to say this video was class. Arsenal have such a rich history and a great history to build on but I feel like their social media department uses it all wrong a lot of times.

Great signing to keep him and class video to announce him.
  • Shshj
    5156 posts Big Money Move
    Have there been any reliable reports of how much he's on a week?
  • Ashy
    Shshj wrote: »

Sure stuff with come out soon but the key number is £250k but also suggested after bonuses he could be the highest earner at the club beating Ozil on £350k.

So there are big bonuses in there if that is true
  • Shshj
    5156 posts Big Money Move
    Shshj wrote: »

Sure stuff with come out soon but the key number is £250k but also suggested after bonuses he could be the highest earner at the club beating Ozil on £350k.

So there are big bonuses in there if that is true

I'm guessing it's stuff like goal bonuses, etc. £250k isn't a bad initial amount though.
  • Ashy
    Aouar got a red :*
  • G000ner
    5123 posts Big Money Move

What a video
  • Stlducks
    Aouar got a red :*

I’ve been watching Ligue 1 this year more than any other year because I finally have BeIn. I watched this match just to watch him and then he gets a red.

He was playing behind two strikers but drifted wide to the left often. The red was a pretty poor challenge, no need to pressure the guy in that position and he caught him shin high. Before the red his passing looked good.
  • BLUESBOY345
    1583 posts Play-Off Hero
    Has anyone ever been as receptive as he is to our fan base? Personally I can’t say I’ve ever admired, appreciated or liked a player as much as I have Auba but key mentions to Santi and Arteta as players too.

He just seems to strike every possible positive relationship cord you could have with a fan base
  • Ahmer50x
    25064 posts Player of the Year
    So that means the Partey deal is dead then given Fab said you won't get both.

Makes more sense to go for the younger player and one you can pay in installments I suppose
  • arsenalap
    8462 posts League Winner
    I am indifferent to which one to get tbh.

I imagine we might go for Partey still but only if we end up selling everyone we need.
  • G000ner
    Strange for us to be going after him tbh, not exactly a cheap fee either for a backup keeper. He is really too good for that position as well. Runarsson should do the job fine. Now that we have Runarsson we shouldn't have a problem with loaning Raya back if we did want him.
  • Ashy
    edited September 17
    Selling Martinez for £20m only to spend £15m on a back up in Raya that has mistakes in him from what I've seen and we would loan him back, and also a 3rd choice Iceland keeper hmm
  • G000ner
    We should just stick with the Icelandic keeper, we don't even need a good back-up. Leno can play all the Europa games and cup games if needed. Injury risk is minimal
  • G000ner
    Also D.Luiz is back in training, so probably plays at the weekend I guess. Not sure who comes out of the defence, could be AMN and Tierney moves to wing back, Holding or Gabriel. Gabriel is my guess
  • El_Nino
    Selling Martinez for 20, only to be prepared to drop 10(probably more) on another back up is really bizarre.