Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• El_Nino
    5744 posts Big Money Move
    Vardy literally can’t even see where Mustafi is, that is not, in any way, foul play.

It is at best reckless, but I wouldn’t even call it that, Vardy doesn’t do anything wrong there for me.

It just isn’t Vardy’s fault imo, he’s no way to know where Mustafi is; Mustafi isn’t in a natural position; Vardy is literally falling, personally I don’t buy that there’s any blame on Vardy for that.
  • Stlducks
    2291 posts Fans' Favourite
    When you slow it down it looks bad but watch it live and use common sense. No way Vardy kicked him on purpose.
  • arsenalap
    8209 posts League Winner
    edited July 7
    Pughy30 wrote: »

Ye that looks a red in that imo if Nketiahs was.

I also remember someone laid one into Vardy near the start of the game, and Vardy walked away. I thought it was odd he didnt react. It might have been Mustafi actually.

Wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt retaliation
  • Ahmer50x
    23756 posts Club Captain
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Vardy literally can’t even see where Mustafi is, that is not, in any way, foul play.

It is at best reckless, but I wouldn’t even call it that, Vardy doesn’t do anything wrong there for me.

It just isn’t Vardy’s fault imo, he’s no way to know where Mustafi is; Mustafi isn’t in a natural position; Vardy is literally falling, personally I don’t buy that there’s any blame on Vardy for that.

This
  • G000ner
    4896 posts National Call-Up
    Watch Kolasinac btw, turns his back on the low cross. How can the man take on armed men, but be scared of a cross aimed at his ankles. A better defender sticks out a leg and intercept that. Hopefully won't start the derby

• arsenalap
    8209 posts League Winner
    Hmm so, was it deemed not offside because it did touch Perez?

I'm a bit confused because I've seen some pics now which show Vardy offside from the original pass?
  • Pietu
    6929 posts Big Money Move

I didn't see this live but from this highlight, it's a red for me and here's why.

He slips and so does Mustafi but I’m going to leave that out since I don’t think it matters.

Vardy has absolutely no reason to kick his leg like that, he probably didn't know Mustafi was there but that doesn't matter what matters is the kick and now it hit Mustafi which is unfortunate. He didn't have to kick like that and I don’t know why he did it, seems stupid to me but he did it and hit Mustafi and it doesn't matter if Mustafi isn't in his natural position because neither is Vardy. Vardy has responsibility over his legs, the kick was unnecessary.

Why does malicious intent matter in things like this? He kicked Mustafi in the head, unfortunate but he did it, it's a red for me because he kicked Mustafi in the head and that shouldn't be allowed, it doesn't matter if it was a mistake, some could view that as harsh but to me it's a red. His legs, his responsibility to not hurt anyone. An accidental handball is still a handball for example.
  • Tornado31619
    21709 posts Club Captain
    edited July 8

That’s a red all day

EDIT: on second thought, no, because he can’t see Mustafi. But I can understand why you’d want that penalised
  • Tornado31619
    21709 posts Club Captain
    Pietu wrote: »

I didn't see this live but from this highlight, it's a red for me and here's why.

He slips and so does Mustafi but I’m going to leave that out since I don’t think it matters.

Vardy has absolutely no reason to kick his leg like that, he probably didn't know Mustafi was there but that doesn't matter what matters is the kick and now it hit Mustafi which is unfortunate. He didn't have to kick like that and I don’t know why he did it, seems stupid to me but he did it and hit Mustafi and it doesn't matter if Mustafi isn't in his natural position because neither is Vardy. Vardy has responsibility over his legs, the kick was unnecessary.

Why does malicious intent matter in things like this? He kicked Mustafi in the head, unfortunate but he did it, it's a red for me because he kicked Mustafi in the head and that shouldn't be allowed, it doesn't matter if it was a mistake, some could view that as harsh but to me it's a red. His legs, his responsibility to not hurt anyone. An accidental handball is still a handball for example.

Except that accidental handballs aren’t always given.
  • Pietu

Except that accidental handballs aren’t always given.

Aren't they? I don’t remember many handballs that haven't been given since the restart
  • Pietu

That’s a red all day

EDIT: on second thought, no, because he can’t see Mustafi. But I can understand why you’d want that penalised

Imo it shouldn't matter if he didn't see Mustafi because he made an unnecessary kick that he could have avoided and would have if he knew it would hit Mustafi but he still hit him, he kicked him to the head, doesn't matter if he didn't see Mustafi. He knew what he was doing with that kick, that was an intentional kick, he just didn't know Mustafi was there. A red for me, he is responsible for his legs and actions. The fact that it wasn't even a yellow is laughable. It's true that Arsenal has ❤️❤️❤️❤️ refs, not even a yellow, that's just abysmal, gotta feel sorry for Arsenal fans because of the bad refs they always get.
  • Pietu
    This is not even a yellow :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/hncfea/mustafis_face_after_vardys_challenge/

100% a red card, Arsenal robbed once again
  • El_Nino

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/hncfea/mustafis_face_after_vardys_challenge/

Factoring the outcome into it, is a really silly way to judge it. Willian got hit in the face by the ball yesterday, had it broken his nose should the palace player have been red carded for kicking the ball too hard and hitting Willian?

Watch the challenge in full speed instead of slowed down, Vardy does nothing wrong, in full speed particularly it doesn’t even look like an intentional kick out, and I don’t think it is, a combination of momentum and just trying to get his feet back on the ground.

I’m really surprised this is being talked about, to me it’s clear as day not a foul, but clearly quite a few disagree.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

Factoring the outcome into it, is a really silly way to judge it. Willian got hit in the face by the ball yesterday, had it broken his nose should the palace player have been red carded for kicking the ball too hard and hitting Willian?

Watch the challenge in full speed instead of slowed down, Vardy does nothing wrong, in full speed particularly it doesn’t even look like an intentional kick out, and I don’t think it is, a combination of momentum and just trying to get his feet back on the ground.

I’m really surprised this is being talked about, to me it’s clear as day not a foul, but clearly quite a few disagree.

A stupid comparison from you why am I shocked.
  • El_Nino
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

A deliberately stupid comparison to highlight why you shouldn’t bare the outcome of something in mind.

But that point clearly sailed right over your head as per.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

A deliberately stupid comparison to highlight why you shouldn’t bare the outcome of something in mind.

Tbh I stopped reading at Willian got hit in the face with a ball.

In terms of the incident in question I think it could've been a red card, quite easily, if it went to VAR and they viewed what we saw its a red all day. However the ref deemed it as an accident/couldn't see what happened properly.

Its 50/50, just like Nketiah's red was 50/50, it happens sometimes and can't be helped.
  • El_Nino
    edited July 8

In terms of the incident in question I think it could've been a red card, quite easily, if it went to VAR and they viewed what we saw its a red all day. However the ref deemed it as an accident/couldn't see what happened properly.

Its 50/50, just like Nketiah's red was 50/50, it happens sometimes and can't be helped.

I used a comparison that was deliberately dumb to try and show why the outcome doesn’t always matter, imo the two situations are completely different, Nketiahs is simply his mistake and completely his fault, I don’t blame Vardy for what happened in that clash, neither were 50/50 for me, but we clearly disagree so ill leave it there.
  • Pietu

The kick for me was intentional, just unlucky for him that Mustafi was there. For me it's a clear red.

And I'm not factoring the outcome, can't just understand how that wasn't even a yellow.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    edited July 8

I used a comparison that was deliberately dumb to try and show why the outcome doesn’t always matter, imo the two situations are completely different, Nketiahs is simply his mistake and completely his fault, I don’t blame Vardy for what happened in that clash, neither were 50/50 for me, but we clearly disagree so ill leave it there.

You're trying to tell me Vardy couldn't stop his STRAIGHT leg swinging round like that :joy:

Vardy's was also a mistake and his fault, its not Mustafi's fault Vardy swung his leg round and caught him with studs.
  • Tornado31619
    21709 posts Club Captain

A failure to comprehend his point, why am I shocked?
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

A failure to comprehend his point, why am I shocked?

Bro if I made that comparison people would jump on my back. Lets be real.
  • Pietu

You're trying to tell me Vardy couldn't stop his STRAIGHT leg swinging round like that :joy:

Vardy's was also a mistake and his fault, its not Mustafi's fault Vardy swung his leg round and caught him with studs.

Agreed. The kick was 100% intentional, he meant to kick and unfortunately he hit Mustafi in the face. This is a clear red card
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

Agreed. The kick was 100% intentional, he meant to kick and unfortunately he hit Mustafi in the face. This is a clear red card

Kinda agree with this. Then when he realises he hit Mustafi's face and not another body part the guilt was written all over his face.
  • Pietu

Kinda agree with this. Then when he realises he hit Mustafi's face and not another body part the guilt was written all over his face.

I don't know if he tried to kick Mustafi and I hope he didn't but that kick is 100% intentional, you don't do that if you fall unless you want to kick someone/something. This should have been a red and I hope they change it and rule it as a red but I don’t think they have the Cojones to do that. You are not allowed to kick someone to the face intentional or not, simple as.
  • ViVaWhom
    8992 posts League Winner
    its another case of arsenal ❤️❤️❤️❤️ up so they need to blame something else

how about you guys finish the game off in the 1st half when Leicester were all over the place, so tight ref decisions dont decide your matches. we had a decision go against us against bournemouth, we didnt let that define the result of the game
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    edited July 8
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

how about you guys finish the game off in the 1st half when Leicester were all over the place, so tight ref decisions dont decide your matches. we had a decision go against us against bournemouth, we didnt let that define the result of the game

Many people including myself said Laca's misses also cost us the game.

What a machine. We'll be lucky if we can keep him for another 2 or 3 seasons.
  • Pietu
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

But that doesn't change the fact that Vardy should have been sent off
  • arsenalap
    8209 posts League Winner
    Im not going to complain about the result as we should have killed them in the first half, it's our own fault.

But, to anyone who still thinks we don't get killed by refs, its another example. All of these were close, so it's not worth moaning about but still didn't get the benefit of the doubt in any of them, just like most of the season.

The offside is very tight, in most other situations in games theyd draw the lines and rule it out and everyone would say VAR is killing football. It was very close for the original pass and the potential touch from Perez. On it's own though I understand why it was given.

The red card for Vardy didnt even get looked at.. and the more I look at it, the more it's a red. Also, worth noting earlier in the game Mustafi put in a hard tackle on Vardy, which was quite notable. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was retribution.

Eddie's was a red for me so no complaints with it, but the consistency isnt there.

Top that off with the fact Leicester put in 15 fouls with no yellows.

I'm going to blame Laca more than any refereeing for that though as he needed to score the 2nd
  • Pughy30
    27301 posts Player of the Year
    I know we were linked with him before but the young talented French defender Malang Sarr is currently a free agent, we'd be stupid to not be trying to pick him up.
  • arsenalap
    8209 posts League Winner
    edited July 8

For anyone who wants evidence of various things from VAR