Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• G000ner
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Managed that game really well. Maitland-Niles, Willock and Laca all great when they came on. Wolves were poor going forward tbh, especially from set pieces. We defended well though
  • WryLucky
    2806 posts Fans' Favourite
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    WryLucky wrote: »
    Now do the same against Leicester please.

Bro we are coming for you :joy:

You're free to drop points after that game.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

Bro we are coming for you :joy:

You're free to drop points after that game.

Ngl if any team is gonna drop out the top 5 it will probs be chelsea. Just going off fixtures. So Watford pls do something.
  • Ahmer50x
    23834 posts Club Captain

Yes please
  • G000ner
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Have to say Laca looked sharp in those 10 minutes he was on, some great touches and his goal was fantastic. Nketiah did well too, though. Think the two will keep being rotated, maybe Laca on Tuesday
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    I want the team to surprise us in these last 5 games.

Leicester, despite todays result are poor atm.
    Spurs are poor.
    Liverpool have just won the title. And we are at home.
    Villa and Watford should be guaranteed wins.

Outside chance but we can make the top 5. I do also think realistically we will lose one of those games.

If any teams gonna drop a lot of points it will be leicester. They could easily lose to us, Spurs and United.

Its a dream but whats the point in supporting a team if you cant do it properly.
  • Ashy
    11256 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 5
    I want the team to surprise us in these last 5 games.

Leicester, despite todays result are poor atm.
    Spurs are poor.
    Liverpool have just won the title. And we are at home.
    Villa and Watford should be guaranteed wins.

Outside chance but we can make the top 5. I do also think realistically we will lose one of those games.

If any teams gonna drop a lot of points it will be leicester. They could easily lose to us, Spurs and United.

Its a dream but whats the point in supporting a team if you cant do it properly.

W vs Leicester
    D vs Tottenham
    L vs Liverpool
    W vs Villa
    W vs Watford

10 points so 59 total is what I think will happen

Man Utd I think will pick up 11 points ending on 66 points finishing 3rd.

Chelsea I think will pick up 9 points from their games ending on 66 points finishing 4th

Leicester I think will pick up 7 points ending on 65 points, finishing 5th

Wolves I think will pick up 5 points ending on 57 points, finishing 7th

My prediction ends up

1. Liverpool 102
    2. City 82
    3. United 66
    4. Chelsea 66
    5. Leicester 65
    6. Arsenal 59
    7. Wolves 57
    8. Tottenham 55
    9. Sheffield 53
  • Ashy
    edited July 5
    Also predicting as far as the City ban it will be delayed a year and be a 1 year ban meaning Leicester ending 5th won't get in UCL and Spurs will miss out of Europe. 'Top 5' will become a thing for next season
  • El_Nino
    5771 posts Big Money Move
    I think even if you went 5/5(which I don’t think you will, 10-12 points at best I think), that still only puts you on 65, that’s just 8 points Chelsea would need and 7 for Leicester to make it impossible for you.

If you beat Leicester; you’ll have a chance to catch them, but even then that leaves you 5th at absolute best imo, maybe still 6th.

I think it’s more important to focus on the fact you’ve clearly taken a big turn in form, look hopeful about Auba/Partey, and have done well to sign a few good youth players onto longer contracts. Things are definitely looking up, but I still think you’ll be without CL for years to come with this being said.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    El_Nino wrote: »
    I think even if you went 5/5(which I don’t think you will, 10-12 points at best I think), that still only puts you on 65, that’s just 8 points Chelsea would need and 7 for Leicester to make it impossible for you.

If you beat Leicester; you’ll have a chance to catch them, but even then that leaves you 5th at absolute best imo, maybe still 6th.

I think it’s more important to focus on the fact you’ve clearly taken a big turn in form, look hopeful about Auba/Partey, and have done well to sign a few good youth players onto longer contracts. Things are definitely looking up, but I still think you’ll be without CL for years to come with this being said.

if we go 5/5 then we get 5th or 4th. I can see Liverpool and wolves getting points against Chelsea. But its far too unlikely for us to get 5 wins.

Not sure it'll be years to come. Especially if 5th gets CL next season. If we have a good summer I think we will get CL football next season.
  • Pietu
    6947 posts Big Money Move

if we go 5/5 then we get 5th or 4th. I can see Liverpool and wolves getting points against Chelsea. But its far too unlikely for us to get 5 wins.

Not sure it'll be years to come. Especially if 5th gets CL next season. If we have a good summer I think we will get CL football next season.

If City get a 2 year ban, I think you will get CL next season but if City don’t, I don’t think you will catch United or Chelsea next season.
  • Ashy
    edited July 5
    Have to agree, for me Liverpool and Man City are the clear top 2, they have a number of world class players and both managers are world class too. They've been battling for the title the last 2 years getting an incredible amount of points. They will challenge for the title next season

Man Utd and Chelsea are a level below, they have the odd world class player and a good amount of younger talented players performing well and getting stronger all the time, Chelsea are spending big to improve, Utd I feel will blow their load on Sancho but not improve that defence enough. Both managers are still learning and for them to really challenge for the title I feel like it will take a couple of years minimum and maybe a better manager.

Arsenal and Spurs are just a level below, Spurs look like they are really falling apart though, the team is aging and they need to pay off that stadium, they are going to really struggle to make top 4 in the next few years imo. Arsenal under Arteta is looking a lot better, the odd bad performance but it happens, give him a good summer window and I think we will get 5th next season minimum. If we overperform or one of the two above us underperform we sneak into top 4. The two above us it may take a couple of years to even challenge I think if all goes well we might be looking at 3-4 years based on good recruitment.

Leicester, Wolves, Everton will be around the top half im sure, one may break into the top 6 one year the other the next but consistently I don't think so
  • El_Nino
    edited July 5

Nah even if you get 5/5 we’d have to lose both those games, and drop points against someone else, even if you got 5/5 I doubt you’d catch Chelsea/United

And ofc you won’t go 5/5(as you admit)

If City get banned, then admittedly you could get CL through 5th next year tbf, they’ll be a lot of competition for it though
    Post edited by El_Nino on
  • arsenalap
    8237 posts League Winner
    We aren't finishing top 5, not sure why anyone is debating it. If we beat Brighton i'd say yes, there was a chance, but not now.

United just have great games and form, can't see us overtaking them in any situation.

To overtake Leicester we need a 10 point haul over 5 games..

Chelsea would probably be a 8 point haul over 5 games. They have some tough games, but so do we.

Should stop posting theoretical positions and take it 1 game at a time until the last 2 for now imo.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
  • arsenalap
    8237 posts League Winner
    edited July 5
    The Brighton game is one of the most disappointing in a while for me. It's not even like we were outplayed, we should have won really.

If we managed to win that game 2-0 for example, then since Arteta has come in, over the last 12 games we would have been:

- 1st in the league table (Liverpool game to play to be fair)
    - Least goals conceded
    - 2nd in goals scored behind City
    - Most clean sheets I think

Not to mention an FA cup semi-final and some new contracts and interesting signings being linked.

Regardless, anyway it's still showing good progression.
  • Jboom98
    475 posts Sunday League Hero
    The Young Arsenal Players are better than the older players though Aubameyang will be hard to keep unless Arsenal win the FA Cup I sense PSG and Napoli want him.
  • Ashy
    Auba wont go to Napoli just dont see it

Only two clubs that are likely are Barca and Inter (if Martinez leaves)

Other big clubs just don't need him or won't pay 40m for a 31 year old in his last year.

We will see
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Auba is staying.
  • El_Nino
    I think Auba will probably stay now, you’ve been really lucky that Chelsea/United have gone for other targets, and there’s so few teams with money to spend now
  • Fab
    19476 posts World Class
    Sign the contract, Aubameyang!
  • Ashy
    edited July 5
    Real Madrid - Seem to be focusing on younger players and working towards bringing Mbappe in, already got Hazard, Benzema.
    Barca - Suarez losing it and no real left sided attacker, ideal transfer.
    Atletico - Got Felix, Morata, Costa. More likely interested in Lacazette.

PSG - Got Neymar, Mbappe, Icardi, Di Maria

Juventus - Got Ronaldo, Dybala, Higuain
    Inter - Got Lukaku and Martinez, unless Martinez leaves then its possible

Bayern - Got Lewandowski and Sane on the left.

Liverpool - Won't spend that much on a 31 y/old rotational player
    City - Could replace Sane, already have Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Mahrez, Jesus, Aguero for the front 3 positions though.
    Chelsea - Werner bought
    United - Sancho only attacking target

So its Barca, City or Inter I dont see any other team that Auba would be interested in going to, Inter is based on a sale, City he would be a big rotational player, will Barca come in for him or look at a younger player that will be there for many years?
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    I think Auba will probably stay now, you’ve been really lucky that Chelsea/United have gone for other targets, and there’s so few teams with money to spend now

We wouldn't sell to United or Chelsea under this management not a chance. Nor would them two pay what would be needed. Younger options available for the price.
  • Tornado31619
    21778 posts Club Captain
    Yeah, unless Auba left on a free I’d be surprised if you sold him domestically.
  • wth22
    11439 posts Has That Special Something

We wouldn't sell to United or Chelsea under this management not a chance. Nor would them two pay what would be needed. Younger options available for the price.

Swear you guys say this every few years before you sell a key player domestically
  • El_Nino
    wth22 wrote: »

Swear you guys say this every few years before you sell a key player domestically
    Yeah I don’t buy that at all personally, only time will tell.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    wth22 wrote: »

yeah under Wenger and co but not this board. Not a player at the peak of their powers anyway.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    edited July 6
    According to a Newcastle based Journo and some sources in France yesterday Arsenal want Saint Maximim. Would be really pissed off if we got him for 30m+ when he was available for 16m last summer.

Also Maddison and Chilwell are doubts for our game tomorrow.
  • Apollo
    20100 posts Club Captain
    According to a Newcastle based Journo and some sources in France yesterday Arsenal want Saint Maximim. Would be really pissed off if we got him for 30m+ when he was available for 16m last summer.

Bit of a speculative post following, if you kept all of your attacking options this summer and didn't sell anyone, surely that would be a poor use of a chunk of your budget? However if you sold Lacazette and moved Auba back upfront full time then it would make a lot of sense.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »

Bit of a speculative post following, if you kept all of your attacking options this summer and didn't sell anyone, surely that would be a poor use of a chunk of your budget? However if you sold Lacazette and moved Auba back upfront full time then it would make a lot of sense.

I'm under the impression that Guendouzi would fund Partey. Lacazette would fund a new attacker, Saint Max/Depay spring to mind. And then whatever else happens we'll go for a CB and possibly another CM if we can in the form of an Aouar type or someone in that mold.

But yeah if we just go for an attacker and neglect the midfield its stupid. Not sure that's what will happen.