Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Pxul_
    9375 posts League Winner
    Surely spending over 90 million on a 29 year old would be a silly buy? (Talking about koulibaly, as I’m always late to topics😂)

Got to agree with Ahmer, if you can pry one of the Leipzig defenders away that would be way better for the long term. Especially since they would have the French connection with Saliba (think that’s how it’s spelt) to build a partnership with.
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    El_Nino wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    He’s getting older, I agree he wasn’t laughable last season he wasn’t great either, he was acceptable with the occasional howler.

Couple that with Saliba’s youth and inexperience and I think that’ll be comical if it’s what you roll into next season with

Surely you want someone with experience next to someone inexperienced? I dont really understand why you think itll be that comical tbh.

Saliba is very quick so can cover for any real lack of pace Luiz loses. Hes getting older but it's not like hes drastically dropping off, 1 more year shouldn't make much difference. If anything its helping him because he isnt bombing forward that much anymore or trying rash interceptions as he doesnt have the stamina to do it, so he is keeping it more simple which is better.

Because Luiz doesn’t play like someone with experience at all; nor does he act it on the pitch or behind the scenes, you may as well be partnering two teenagers together

@Ahmer50x is right, assuming you can’t afford better, someone like Tarkowski would be a massive improvement

Meh again talking like his Chelsea days. Again for us he was good and did play with experience. Apparently he is also very good in the dressing room too.
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I’d take Tark at United for 30m and stick him next to Maguire over Lindelof.

He’s a very good defender. Would be a starter for City, Arsenal, Spurs, or Chelsea at CB IMO

Burnley are evidently 50m in the hole after corona too so they should be willing to sell reasonably.

Yeah he’s never gonna be talked about as a top 3 CB in the league the way Upa or Koulibaly might but that’s also why he’s cheaper.

I think he is an alright defender but is he someone to take us up a level? Nope. He would improve us a bit but not a lot imo.

Hed be a starter at those teams I agree but more on the basis that those teams are desperate for CBs.
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    edited May 28
    I think if we managed this it would put us in a good place:

Out: 100m

Elneny -10m
    Mhky - 10m
    Mustafi -10m
    Holding -10m
    Sokratis - 10m
    AMN - 20m
    Lacazette - 30m
    Smith-Rowe - Loan

In: 100m

Partey - 45m
    CB - 45m
    Mari - 10m
    Fraser - Free
    Cedric - Free
    Saliba - Free

Renew:

Luiz
    Auba
    Saka

I dont think anything there is difficult except for the amount of transfers required. Saying that it looks like most are already in process apart from the CB department where we need to sell a lot.
  • Ashy
    10834 posts Has That Special Something
    Don't think we should get Fraser after his last season and the fact Arteta will put great faith in our quality young wingers Nelson, Martinelli and Saka, bringing him in will take minutes off them
  • Ashy
    edited May 28
    Leno - Martinez

Bellerin - Cedric
    Saliba - Chambers
    New CB*- Luiz - Mari*
    Tierney - Kolasinac

Xhaka - Guendouzi
    Partey* - Torreira
    Ozil - Willock - Smith Rowe

Pepe - Nelson
    Auba - Laca - Nketiah
    Martinelli - Saka

Big problem is AM but we will have to put up with Ozil for another year until his contract ends.

Sell Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Mustafi, Holding, Sokratis, AMN for £60m is along with the usual £40-50m we use every summer to get Partey, Mari and a 40-50m rated CB

Issues will crop up if Auba/Laca move, Torreira wanting to go to Italy, Saka not signing a new deal etc
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    Ashy wrote: »
    Leno - Martinez

Bellerin - Cedric
    Saliba - Chambers
    New CB*- Luiz - Mari*
    Tierney - Kolasinac

Xhaka - Guendouzi
    Partey* - Torreira
    Ozil - Willock - Smith Rowe

Pepe - Nelson
    Auba - Laca - Nketiah
    Martinelli - Saka

Big problem is AM but we will have to put up with Ozil for another year until his contract ends.

Sell Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Mustafi, Holding, Sokratis, AMN for £60m is along with the usual £40-50m we use every summer to get Partey, Mari and a 40-50m rated CB

Issues will crop up if Auba/Laca move, Torreira wanting to go to Italy, Saka not signing a new deal etc

This isnt like every summer. I doubt we will babe 40 or 50m to spend. Hence why I think Laca needs to go and we need another attacker. Fraser is free and a decent player who can rotate in and out with Saka/Martinelli.

I see Martinelli as a striker anyway, hopefully he plays there and learns from Auba and potentially replaces him.
  • Ahmer50x
    22992 posts Club Captain
    Interesting that you’re all willing to risk Auba walking on free in a year
  • ViVaWhom
    8782 posts League Winner
    i doubt they would get much for him at his age tbh
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    Interesting that you’re all willing to risk Auba walking on free in a year

I mentioned him renewing a few times.

If not I'd think about selling him and Laca and getting a replacement but then I'd avoid Fraser and get a striker and attacking mid in who can chip in with goals.

Ozil hasn't done anything this year goal wise. If we get someone to help from midfield it would greatly compensate for any Auba loss.
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    Looking at Buendia, such an odd player.

In and out of the norwich side but statistically hes incredible.

Wonder if he is worth a 20m punt when Norwich go down.
  • Ashy

Great player on football manager ill say that
  • Ahmer50x
    22992 posts Club Captain

He’s not been in and out? 22 starts, 6 sub appearances, 1 time didn’t get in the match day squad (could be injury)

I’ve liked the look of him for some time. Worthwhile signing for any top half side IMO
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    edited May 30

He’s not been in and out? 22 starts, 6 sub appearances, 1 time didn’t get in the match day squad (could be injury)

I’ve liked the look of him for some time. Worthwhile signing for any top half side IMO

Interesting, I remember for a period he was on the bench a bit in the 2nd half of the season and I asked my Norwich supporter mate why it was.

Thought it was much more than that.
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    Shshj wrote: »

As much as Amy Lawrence is reliable, a few people have debunked this a bit already. His salary isn't that high apparently.

But, I have to say in my head I always thought it was a standard 2 year deal with an option for a third, not 1 with 2.

1 with 2 really doesn't make much sense, you don't often see clubs paying a transfer fee for a player to offer them a 1 year deal.
  • ViVaWhom
    8782 posts League Winner
    so 14m.. i hate when people include wages in a "transfer fee"
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    so 14m.. i hate when people include wages in a "transfer fee"

Yh also the intermediaries are a bit odd as I'm sure most transfers have some additional costs, granted this one seems relatively quite high.
  • Ahmer50x
    22992 posts Club Captain
    edited May 31

As much as Amy Lawrence is reliable, a few people have debunked this a bit already. His salary isn't that high apparently.

But, I have to say in my head I always thought it was a standard 2 year deal with an option for a third, not 1 with 2.

1 with 2 really doesn't make much sense, you don't often see clubs paying a transfer fee for a player to offer them a 1 year deal.

Who has debunked it? Her article for The Athletic is basically suggesting you're paying David Luiz 192K a week. It would explain why you're so willing to evidently purge him after one year.
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    edited May 31

Who has debunked it? Her article for The Athletic is basically suggesting you're paying David Luiz 192K a week. It would explain why you're so willing to evidently purge him after one year.

Theres quite a few sources from when he signed saying he was on 120k. People have been discussing on arsenal forum.
  • Ashy
    edited May 31
    He's been on 120/125k a week im pretty sure and it's up to Arsenal if they want to increase it to a 2 year deal.

Still nowhere near as bad as the Alexis Sanchez deal at Utd any many more

Sanchez transfer cost Utd £100m in total I think and Inter saved £5m of that on the year loan spell so £95m for Sanchez
  • Ahmer50x
    22992 posts Club Captain
    He's been on 120/125k a week im pretty sure and it's up to Arsenal if they want to increase it to a 2 year deal.

Sanchez transfer cost Utd £100m in total I think and Inter saved £5m of that on the year loan spell so £95m for Sanchez

Yes and you’re paying Ozil 56m on his current 4 year deal. The fact that we’re using these figures, arguably the two worst contracts in recent football history, in the context of Luiz says everything.
  • Snugglebites
    1633 posts Play-Off Hero
    Arsenal have been the best thing in football the past 10 years. Endless entertainment.
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner
    edited May 31

Yes and you’re paying Ozil 56m on his current 4 year deal. The fact that we’re using these figures, arguably the two worst contracts in recent football history, in the context of Luiz says everything.

Well no it says nothing at all. Luiz's contract is nowhere near that of Sanchez, and still nowhere near Ozils..

I have no issues paying 120k for Luiz, that is just what a going rate is for an experienced player on a short contract. It's barely more than CHO gets..
  • Cyodine
    2374 posts Fans' Favourite
    Luiz deal isn't horrible compared to other deals in the past and he solved an immediate issue that Arsenal had. On top of that Luiz put in some good performances and Chelsea and Spurs have conceded more this season.
  • Ahmer50x
    22992 posts Club Captain

Well no it says nothing at all. Luiz's contract is nowhere near that of Sanchez, and still nowhere near Ozils..

I have no issues paying 120k for Luiz, that is just what a going rate is for an experienced player on a short contract. It's barely more than CHO gets..

You’re assuming it is 120. The 192 report is more recent and from a better source. Objectively that should be treated as fact, not the 120
  • arsenalap
    8123 posts League Winner

You’re assuming it is 120. The 192 report is more recent and from a better source. Objectively that should be treated as fact, not the 120

One report outweighs about 20 other reports? Yh.. no not for me.

Who knows what Amy includes in her wages, could be clean sheet bonuses etc that were paid. All of which arent included in a standard wage. The standard wage is 120k as reported by many sources.
  • Pughy30
    27042 posts Player of the Year
    Talks of Bellerin leaving for Italy. Would sell him all day tbh, he’s passionate about the club which fans love him for but in terms of ability he’s stagnated, these day’s he’s just a fast RB who falls asleep in defence and makes errors
  • Ashy
    Many argue Cedric is better than him, I would sell as well for a decent fee to buy a replacement someone like Lainer/Atal/Mbabu
  • Kellnerr
    3560 posts National Call-Up
    Do you have an option to buy Cedric?