The Ligue 1 POTM SBC has temporarily taken down & will return at a later time, updates to follow today PST on this FIFA Direct twitter thread. Forum thread discussing the issue is here.

Arsenal Football Club

Comments

  • G000ner
    4525 posts National Call-Up
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Marcelino out the picture, going to Everton. We move. Arteta or Poch.

    How sure of this are you or are you just making things up ha.

    That Marcelino is going to Everton that is.

    Marcelino flew into the UK yesterday, in recent hours reliable Spanish sources have said he's about to take over at a Premier league club and tonight the Athletic have said its Everton.

    They haven't posted anything to do with Marcelino
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    G000ner wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Marcelino out the picture, going to Everton. We move. Arteta or Poch.

    How sure of this are you or are you just making things up ha.

    That Marcelino is going to Everton that is.

    Marcelino flew into the UK yesterday, in recent hours reliable Spanish sources have said he's about to take over at a Premier league club and tonight the Athletic have said its Everton.

    They haven't posted anything to do with Marcelino

    Yh I cant find a thing and I subscribe to them..

    They posted a thing a couple days ago that mentioned his name..
  • Ahmer50x
    20855 posts Club Captain
    Was just about to say the same. Spanish paper said he flew into England and that’s it.

    Seems like his destination is unclear atm
  • Tornado31619
    18964 posts World Class
    I thought he was in London.
  • Ahmer50x
    20855 posts Club Captain
    I thought he was in London.

    Loads of clubs have offices in London so you'd often fly there for paperwork and then go to the training ground elsewhere (if it were Everton)

    Or it could be Arsenal.
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    His odds have dropped from 20/1 30m ago to 9/1 now.
  • Ahmer50x
    20855 posts Club Captain
    arsenalap wrote: »
    His odds have dropped from 20/1 30m ago to 9/1 now.

    7/2 favorite with Paddy Power for Arsenal evidently.
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    His odds have dropped from 20/1 30m ago to 9/1 now.

    7/2 favorite with Paddy Power for Arsenal evidently.

    Hes a long shot for Arsenal with Sky.

    Manager odds are always all over the shop mind.
  • sturges12345
    3355 posts National Call-Up
    Vardy once again proving he’s better than aubameyang and lacazette
  • Kman
    3069 posts National Call-Up
    Why would Poch go from one one club where trying to sign players was like trying to get blood from a stone to another club where trying to sign players is like trying to get blood from a stone?
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    Ornstein says Partay was desperate to move to Arsenal last summer but we couldn't afford the 50m on top of the other signings considering we had other positions so strengthen.

    Wonder now they've seen our midfield is poor they will go back to it. I've mentioned Zakaria but Partay would be great too.
  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    @Kman if you don't ever have anything decent to say why say anything at all? At least the others actually contribute.

    @arsenalap just saw that, Partay would've been perfect :(

    Hopefully we go for him in Jan.
  • Kman
    3069 posts National Call-Up
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @Kman if you don't ever have anything decent to say why say anything at all? At least the others actually contribute.

    @arsenalap just saw that, Partay would've been perfect :(

    Hopefully we go for him in Jan.

    Because it’s facts

  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    Kman wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    @Kman if you don't ever have anything decent to say why say anything at all? At least the others actually contribute.

    @arsenalap just saw that, Partay would've been perfect :(

    Hopefully we go for him in Jan.

    Because it’s facts

    Our main targets in the summer -

    Pepe, Tierney, Upamecano, Ceballos, Martinelli, Saliba.

    We got 5 out of 6 of our main targets. Its a bit different now with Raul heading operations for transfers. Seems to be dragging his heels in terms of managerial change but if we get the right man in I don't mind waiting.
  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    Freddie making a lot of changes tonight. Likely to be -

    Leno

    Bellerin
    Chambers
    Holding
    Tierney

    Torreira
    Xhaka
    Willock

    Pepe
    Auba
    Martinelli
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Freddie making a lot of changes tonight. Likely to be -

    Leno

    Bellerin
    Chambers
    Holding
    Tierney

    Torreira
    Xhaka
    Willock

    Pepe
    Auba
    Martinelli

    Where do you get this from ha.

    I know the answer, Arsenal-Mania.

    I'm okay with that side but I'd play Ozil instead of Willock. Saying that neither he, Guendo or Willock have looked good of late.
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    If we don't play with proper wingers I'm done.

    West Ham have so average full backs. Going narrow plays into their hands.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4434 posts National Call-Up
    didn't Ljungberg say in his embargoed quotes that he was 'relying on the experienced players' to pull us out of this rut? No doubt Lacazette and Aubameyang both start together again. :(
  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    arsenalap wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Freddie making a lot of changes tonight. Likely to be -

    Leno

    Bellerin
    Chambers
    Holding
    Tierney

    Torreira
    Xhaka
    Willock

    Pepe
    Auba
    Martinelli

    Where do you get this from ha.

    I know the answer, Arsenal-Mania.

    I'm okay with that side but I'd play Ozil instead of Willock. Saying that neither he, Guendo or Willock have looked good of late.

    The team is just something I came up with. But Darren said Freddie is ringing the changes and he's usually spot on so.
  • Ahmer50x
    20855 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2019
    The timing of Edu’s arrival meant he could only play a limited role in the transfer window and, while they appeared to come through it in good shape, at least three of Emery’s targets did not materialise.

    With Arsenal in contention for a top-four finish and the Europa League final — raising hopes of Champions League qualification — Emery wanted to sign Harry Maguire to bolster his defence, Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey to reinforce central midfield and Wilfried Zaha on the wing.

    Emery and his staff were huge admirers of Maguire’s ability to defend and play out from the back and knew Leicester would sell at the right price, but a poor end to the campaign meant Arsenal stood no chance and it was a straight fight between Manchester United and Manchester City. Partey was apparently desperate for a move to the Emirates Stadium, however a €50 million release clause in his Atletico Madrid contract was too expensive for Arsenal because they were committing the bulk of their resources to bringing in a wide player.

    Particularly impressed by his performances against Arsenal, Emery identified Zaha in the knowledge that the Crystal Palace attacker needed no time to adapt to the Premier League, but the club instead opted for Lille’s Nicolas Pepe, predominantly because of his younger age.

    Oh how you guys could've done with Harry Maguire (or any other competent CB of your choice :joy: )

    Those 3 targets are way better than the crap Raul got him eventually. Have to feel for Emery there.
  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    The timing of Edu’s arrival meant he could only play a limited role in the transfer window and, while they appeared to come through it in good shape, at least three of Emery’s targets did not materialise.

    With Arsenal in contention for a top-four finish and the Europa League final — raising hopes of Champions League qualification — Emery wanted to sign Harry Maguire to bolster his defence, Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey to reinforce central midfield and Wilfried Zaha on the wing.

    Emery and his staff were huge admirers of Maguire’s ability to defend and play out from the back and knew Leicester would sell at the right price, but a poor end to the campaign meant Arsenal stood no chance and it was a straight fight between Manchester United and Manchester City. Partey was apparently desperate for a move to the Emirates Stadium, however a €50 million release clause in his Atletico Madrid contract was too expensive for Arsenal because they were committing the bulk of their resources to bringing in a wide player.

    Particularly impressed by his performances against Arsenal, Emery identified Zaha in the knowledge that the Crystal Palace attacker needed no time to adapt to the Premier League, but the club instead opted for Lille’s Nicolas Pepe, predominantly because of his younger age.

    Oh how you guys could've done with Harry Maguire (or any other competent CB of your choice :joy: )

    Those 3 targets are way better than the crap Raul got him eventually. Have to feel for Emery there.

    You've got to remember that the main transfer targets were IF we got champions league football. Considering the Europa league level and budget we did the best we could with the exception of CB.
  • Ahmer50x
    20855 posts Club Captain
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    The timing of Edu’s arrival meant he could only play a limited role in the transfer window and, while they appeared to come through it in good shape, at least three of Emery’s targets did not materialise.

    With Arsenal in contention for a top-four finish and the Europa League final — raising hopes of Champions League qualification — Emery wanted to sign Harry Maguire to bolster his defence, Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey to reinforce central midfield and Wilfried Zaha on the wing.

    Emery and his staff were huge admirers of Maguire’s ability to defend and play out from the back and knew Leicester would sell at the right price, but a poor end to the campaign meant Arsenal stood no chance and it was a straight fight between Manchester United and Manchester City. Partey was apparently desperate for a move to the Emirates Stadium, however a €50 million release clause in his Atletico Madrid contract was too expensive for Arsenal because they were committing the bulk of their resources to bringing in a wide player.

    Particularly impressed by his performances against Arsenal, Emery identified Zaha in the knowledge that the Crystal Palace attacker needed no time to adapt to the Premier League, but the club instead opted for Lille’s Nicolas Pepe, predominantly because of his younger age.

    Oh how you guys could've done with Harry Maguire (or any other competent CB of your choice :joy: )

    Those 3 targets are way better than the crap Raul got him eventually. Have to feel for Emery there.

    You've got to remember that the main transfer targets were IF we got champions league football. Considering the Europa league level and budget we did the best we could with the exception of CB.

    Now imagine the calibre of signings if you miss out on European football entirely this season because your prestige and budget will both take a hit if you do.

    Scary times.

    Reminds me a lot of United's panic towards the end of the Moyes era except you don't have the money to throw at the problem to try and slow/halt the decline and buy time.
  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    The timing of Edu’s arrival meant he could only play a limited role in the transfer window and, while they appeared to come through it in good shape, at least three of Emery’s targets did not materialise.

    With Arsenal in contention for a top-four finish and the Europa League final — raising hopes of Champions League qualification — Emery wanted to sign Harry Maguire to bolster his defence, Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey to reinforce central midfield and Wilfried Zaha on the wing.

    Emery and his staff were huge admirers of Maguire’s ability to defend and play out from the back and knew Leicester would sell at the right price, but a poor end to the campaign meant Arsenal stood no chance and it was a straight fight between Manchester United and Manchester City. Partey was apparently desperate for a move to the Emirates Stadium, however a €50 million release clause in his Atletico Madrid contract was too expensive for Arsenal because they were committing the bulk of their resources to bringing in a wide player.

    Particularly impressed by his performances against Arsenal, Emery identified Zaha in the knowledge that the Crystal Palace attacker needed no time to adapt to the Premier League, but the club instead opted for Lille’s Nicolas Pepe, predominantly because of his younger age.

    Oh how you guys could've done with Harry Maguire (or any other competent CB of your choice :joy: )

    Those 3 targets are way better than the crap Raul got him eventually. Have to feel for Emery there.

    You've got to remember that the main transfer targets were IF we got champions league football. Considering the Europa league level and budget we did the best we could with the exception of CB.

    Now imagine the calibre of signings if you miss out on European football entirely this season because your prestige and budget will both take a hit if you do.

    Scary times.

    Reminds me a lot of United's panic towards the end of the Moyes era except you don't have the money to throw at the problem to try and slow/halt the decline and buy time.

    That's why this appointment and the January window has to be spot on. If we win tonight we're still only 7 off 4th, somehow.
  • Ahmer50x
    20855 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2019
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    The timing of Edu’s arrival meant he could only play a limited role in the transfer window and, while they appeared to come through it in good shape, at least three of Emery’s targets did not materialise.

    With Arsenal in contention for a top-four finish and the Europa League final — raising hopes of Champions League qualification — Emery wanted to sign Harry Maguire to bolster his defence, Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey to reinforce central midfield and Wilfried Zaha on the wing.

    Emery and his staff were huge admirers of Maguire’s ability to defend and play out from the back and knew Leicester would sell at the right price, but a poor end to the campaign meant Arsenal stood no chance and it was a straight fight between Manchester United and Manchester City. Partey was apparently desperate for a move to the Emirates Stadium, however a €50 million release clause in his Atletico Madrid contract was too expensive for Arsenal because they were committing the bulk of their resources to bringing in a wide player.

    Particularly impressed by his performances against Arsenal, Emery identified Zaha in the knowledge that the Crystal Palace attacker needed no time to adapt to the Premier League, but the club instead opted for Lille’s Nicolas Pepe, predominantly because of his younger age.

    Oh how you guys could've done with Harry Maguire (or any other competent CB of your choice :joy: )

    Those 3 targets are way better than the crap Raul got him eventually. Have to feel for Emery there.

    You've got to remember that the main transfer targets were IF we got champions league football. Considering the Europa league level and budget we did the best we could with the exception of CB.

    Now imagine the calibre of signings if you miss out on European football entirely this season because your prestige and budget will both take a hit if you do.

    Scary times.

    Reminds me a lot of United's panic towards the end of the Moyes era except you don't have the money to throw at the problem to try and slow/halt the decline and buy time.

    That's why this appointment and the January window has to be spot on. If we win tonight we're still only 7 off 4th, somehow.

    If you lose, you're 4 off 7th though. Very critical period.
  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

    Rehashing information from a couple days ago. Not their own info.

    Ornstein this morning said Arteta was the front runner. Poch, Ancelotti, Vieira and Roberto Martinez also on the list.

    Also according to Ornstein we want someone with PL experience in some regard. Which rules out Marcelino :blush:
  • Ashy
    10270 posts Has That Special Something
    Martinez wasnt good in the PL and he seems happy at Belgium
    Arteta no experience at all
    Vieira no PL experience

    So it's either Ancelotti or Poch
  • TakeItSlow
    8444 posts League Winner
    Ashy wrote: »
    Martinez wasnt good in the PL and he seems happy at Belgium
    Arteta no experience at all
    Vieira no PL experience

    So it's either Ancelotti or Poch

    No just as a manager I think was his point.
  • Pietu
    4673 posts National Call-Up
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

    What is your opinion on Marcelino? @Ahmer50x

    I think he is a good manager but without knowing much about his style, can't say if he would be a good fit.
  • Ahmer50x
    20855 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2019
    Pietu wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

    What is your opinion on Marcelino? @Ahmer50x

    I think he is a good manager but without knowing much about his style, can't say if he would be a good fit.

    Feels like another Emery to me.

    Competent as his success at Villarreal and Valencia shows but needs the right circumstances as the failure at Sevilla shows.

    I think he’d get a short term bounce then fade to his sacking like Emery
Sign In or Register to comment.