The Ligue 1 POTM SBC has temporarily taken down & will return at a later time, updates to follow today PST on this FIFA Direct twitter thread. Forum thread discussing the issue is here.

Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner
    Oh god I was out at a family event an come back to that scoreline, last thing I expected ffs
  • Keano
    14881 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Fairplay to Kolasinac for actually putting in a decent performance amongst that **** show.

Leno reminds me of when De Gea was playing well a few seasons ago and constantly bailed out United's defence. Except we still lose

Yh Kola has done well this season.

Also no way is Auba staying. He looks so pissed off. I remember one run Willock made and then he tried a through ball and it went nowhere near Auba and he was fuming.

Don't blame him, that pass from Willock was not Arsenal quality. A few years ago our entire midfield could have played that pass, now it feels like we only have Ozil. And that's if he decides to show up. Auba leaving wouldn't be the worse thing since we wont win anything with him anyway and we're a long way off top 4 right now. We need to get a group of players that actually want to be here and fight for the shirt. Problem is it feels like most of our players don't want to be here

On a serious note, this is how I felt about United last season and the "cultural reset" Ole has brought has helped a lot. Results may not be great yet but I atleast feel like our players are trying every game and want to be here (by and large).

Could be an argument for bringing in Viera and just giving him time to rebuild the squad but then you've got the immediate financial issues not getting CL again would cause.

This. This & this... this is why when we don't win, me @Sellish @Ahmer50x & @Apollo will keep backing it, as you're seeing the fight, you're seeing the attitude difference, sure things may not work out for us atm, but it's a huge difference being under a manager where none of the players are playing, to being under one who may not be as tactical etc, but the players are fighting till the end.

• TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner
    It's a real stinker of a situation really.

Freddie didn't help himself with that team selection.

Go back to basics, you might wanna shoe horn everyone in but go with a 433 or 4231 with the correct players.

Why aren't you starting Pepe, we bought a winger for a reason so start him. Apparently Pepe changed the game when he came on?
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Go back to basics, you might wanna shoe horn everyone in but go with a 433 or 4231 with the correct players.

Why aren't you starting Pepe, we bought a winger for a reason so start him. Apparently Pepe changed the game when he came on?

You were much better with him on at wing than with Willock at 10 and Ozil on the wing.
  • El_Nino
    4141 posts National Call-Up

Yeah but less Pepe being great and more just having a natural winger playing winger and a natural 10 playing 10.

Terrible team selection from Freddie, looks as if he’s been taking pointers from LVG 😂
  • Ashy
    10269 posts Has That Special Something
    Ljungberg a wide midfielder/winger thinks Ozil can play on the wing, that's whats funny
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Terrible team selection from Freddie, looks as if he’s been taking pointers from LVG 😂

Still can't believe he actually put Young at striker and Phil Jones on corner duty :joy:
  • G000ner
    4525 posts National Call-Up
    Funny thing is we've played Ozil on the wing at least 20 times before and he's been **** every time. Why we persist with it I'll never know.
  • El_Nino
    4141 posts National Call-Up
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »

Still can't believe he actually put Young at striker and Phil Jones on corner duty :joy:

That was probably peak banter era for United, every week there was something new to laugh at 😂
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner
    I mean you have gotta be realistic but in this form I don't see us winning any of our next 10 games. They're all bloody hard games, big teams at home and teams like Bournemouth away. Not good.

Every team that plays us knows our defensive frailties. They all smell blood, it is not going to change.

Very sad times
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    West Ham v Arsenal (D)
    Standard Liege v Arsenal (L) (think we go through on head to head unless we get beat 5-0)
    Arsenal v City (L)
    Everton v Arsenal (D) (depends if they get a boost with the new manager could be a loss)
    Bournemouth v Arsenal (L)
    Arsenal v Chelsea (L)

Start the new year with 21 points from 20 games. On course to get that sweet 40 that should keep us in the premier league

Its say the next game we could win is the Newcastle one at home 8th February, potentially 21 games without a win in all competitions by that point
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    Okay now this has gone past funny and into just sad.

We've got normally level headed fans of Arsenal credibly suggesting their club is in a relegation battle.

I almost feel sorry for you
  • Shshj
    4365 posts National Call-Up
    Honestly, after the summer I thought Arsenal were looking good but now they're in absolute disarray once again. Things are actually worse than they ever were under Wenger.

There's still so much work that needs to be done on their defence and midfield, Lacazette & Aubameyang clearly can't play in the same attack properly and Pepe hasn't hit the ground running whatsoever.

I suppose the big question is on Aubameyang, he's undoubtedly Arsenal's best player but he's also 31 in June. Do you sell before his value plummets?
  • WryLucky
    2033 posts Fans' Favourite
    You can still finish 2nd by the end of the season.
  • Ashy
    WryLucky wrote: »
    You can still finish 2nd by the end of the season.

Would require a lot of things and I'm saying 3rd because City will be 2nd.

1. An experienced manager to have an instant impact (Benitez/Rodgers/Simeone...)
    2. At least 1 experienced CB and 1 midfielder in the January window.
    3. No major injuries to important players
    4. Leicester's good form to end, maybe a Vardy injury
    5. The likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Utd to slip up often enough
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    Shshj wrote: »
    I suppose the big question is on Aubameyang, he's undoubtedly Arsenal's best player but he's also 31 in June. Do you sell before his value plummets?

Will they even have an option? He's entering his final year of contract. Could easily get a move by refusing to renew
  • Ashy
    Wonder if there is any way we can pay St Etienne to get Saliba 6 months early
  • Sellish
    9805 posts League Winner
    I haven't really been active here so not sure if this has been said already or not.

I think giving Freddie the job was a massive mistake. He should have stayed with his role and you guys should have brought in someone new.
    Freddie was there with Emery. His presence isn't anything new. I think you need a new face, a bit of fresh air.
    Players don't feel the need to perform to prove anything to Freddie because he has seen everything that Emery had seen.

You need a reset.
  • Ashy
    edited December 2019
    Sellish wrote: »
    I haven't really been active here so not sure if this has been said already or not.

I think giving Freddie the job was a massive mistake. He should have stayed with his role and you guys should have brought in someone new.
    Freddie was there with Emery. His presence isn't anything new. I think you need a new face, a bit of fresh air.
    Players don't feel the need to perform to prove anything to Freddie because he has seen everything that Emery had seen.

You need a reset.

They haven't given him the head coach job just interim, which really shouldn't last longer than 2 weeks, the people in charge apparently are interviewing candidates and want to find the right one not the first one that pops up.

If Freddie started off with a couple of wins they may have given him until January but I think the appointment process is probably sped up now, I'm hoping for a new manager announcement Monday/Tuesday
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2019
    Ashy wrote: »
    Sellish wrote: »

You need a reset.

They haven't given him the head coach job just interim, which really shouldn't last longer than 2 weeks, the people in charge apparently are interviewing candidates and want to find the right one not the first one that pops up.

If Freddie started off with a couple of wins they may have given him until January but I think the appointment process is probably sped up now, I'm hoping for a new manager announcement Monday/Tuesday

Will be interesting to see who it is.

Allegri has ruled himself out and all the other contenders mentioned are employed except for Poch (who we don't know would come) and Arteta.

Can see it being an obscure-ish shock of an appointment like Emery was. Maybe Marcelino or somebody like that.
  • Pietu
    4671 posts National Call-Up
    Should give me a go for a game, I would atleast play Özil as a 10 and Pepe on the right.
  • Pxul_
    8646 posts League Winner
    This is like afc tv with only reading in here. Quality stuff
  • Apollo
    17381 posts World Class

Didnt really require the media asking the question, he probably just needed to use the loo :sweat_smile:
  • sturges12345
    3355 posts National Call-Up
    Funny thing is we've played Ozil on the wing at least 20 times before and he's been **** every time. Why we persist with it I'll never know.

That’s just not true though is it. Ozil has literally played at least 2 or 3 whole seasons on the wing for arsenal
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    It's tough, normally I can put forward ideas on what I think will improve but I have no idea now.

It is completely a mental thing, not just our players but other teams now know they can have a go at us and succeed which is dangerous. The way around that is you set up to be solid and counter attack, but we dont have the players to do that. The squad was set up to attempt to play nice football but we are in a no mans land in between different styles.

We need to give this a go:

Leno
    Bellerin - Chambers - Holding - Tierney
    Torreira - Xhaka
    Pepe - Ozil - Martinelli
    Auba

Martinez
    Luiz
    Kola
    Guendouzi
    Ceballos
    Nelson
    Lacazette
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner
    Its all very depressing.
  • tilen11
    5692 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2019
    Maybe I was wrong when I said giving the job to Freddie would be a good idea. Clueless man he is.
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner
    tilen11 wrote: »
    Maybe I was wrong when I said giving the job to Freddie would be a good idea. Clueless man he is.

Very harsh, he has absolutely no pedigree, hasn't ever worked under a boss at the peak of his game or a top boss, hasn't learnt off anyone decent in managerial terms.

It doesn't take a genius to realise he was never going to be the man for the job, its far too big for him.
  • tilen11
    5692 posts Big Money Move

Very harsh, he has absolutely no pedigree, hasn't ever worked under a boss at the peak of his game or a top boss, hasn't learnt off anyone decent in managerial terms.

It doesn't take a genius to realise he was never going to be the man for the job, its far too big for him.

I mean I ddidnt want to be harsh but why let Emery go in that case? If you know the change isnt for the better? This wasnt really for the better imo. They could just let him go (Emery) when they would find a suitable replacement.
  • arsenalap
    6816 posts Big Money Move

I mean I ddidnt want to be harsh but why let Emery go in that case? If you know the change isnt for the better? This wasnt really for the better imo. They could just let him go (Emery) when they would find a suitable replacement.

Because the fans have a bit more patience with Freddie than Emery.

I think Freddie has improved some things but I cant excuse these lineups or subs (not so much yesterday).

The balance is poor, he needs to find solutions not try the same thing over and over.