Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Retro_G
    29810 posts National Team Captain
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Building on that, we spent 70m net this year.

My prediction above was 30m net this year coming.

Year after potentially Luiz/Auba out for 50m. RB and LW in for 100m, with another 50m net spend.

So really our net spend is quite close to that magical 45m number thrown around last summer.

A lot can change obviously, but were doing quite well in the market imo.

I don't believe you can say spending 75m on player with worse numbers than a 15m championship winger is "doing quite well in the market." You've the biggest potential flop in premier league history on your hands.
  • G000ner
    4330 posts National Call-Up
    Will definitely be low scoring. Hopefully we can squeeze out a 1-0/2-1. Tierney should help us create more chances if he starts. Laca probably on the bench I'd imagine
  • arsenalap
    5752 posts Big Money Move
    Retro_G wrote: »

Year after potentially Luiz/Auba out for 50m. RB and LW in for 100m, with another 50m net spend.

So really our net spend is quite close to that magical 45m number thrown around last summer.

I don't believe you can say spending 75m on player with worse numbers than a 15m championship winger is "doing quite well in the market." You've the biggest potential flop in premier league history on your hands.

It's been 10 games. If you want my opinion on Pepe feel free to search but I'm not wasting time saying it again.

Not to mention Pepe has 4 contributions in 10 games. James has 4 in 11, so you are incorrect.

• Retro_G
    29810 posts National Team Captain
    edited October 20

It's been 10 games. If you want my opinion on Pepe feel free to search but I'm not wasting time saying it again.

Not to mention Pepe has 4 contributions in 10 games. James has 4 in 11, so you are incorrect.

:joy: I was taking about the prem, imagine counting the Mickey Mouse cup, you're playing against binmen.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/50252/Nicolas-Pépé/overview
  • arsenalap

:joy: I was taking about the prem, imagine counting the Mickey Mouse cup, you're playing against binmen.

He got his assist away at Frankfurt. A lot more than James could muster against Alkmaar, who actually are binmen.
  • SDoofus
    5753 posts Big Money Move

It’s a Mickey Mouse cup now then? Make your mind up.
  • ViVaWhom
    8247 posts League Winner
    EL is and will always be mickey mouse cup, but winning it means alot thanks to the CL qualification
  • Ahmer50x
    19167 posts World Class
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    EL is and will always be mickey mouse cup, but winning it means alot thanks to the CL qualification

It's the Championship of European football. When you're in it, you want to win it obviously but that's only to get back in the big time.
  • arsenalap
    edited October 20
    I'm not sure why everything needs to be so black and white.

The Europa league is what it is. You get some very poor sides in it, and then you get sides who could easily be in the CL.

He got an assist away against a full strength Frankfurt side, that are an equivalent strength to a prem team.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4346 posts National Call-Up
    Think one thing everyone on this forum can agree upon now is Arsenal v Spurs is the best derby to watch in the UK without a doubt
  • G000ner
    Think one thing everyone on this forum can agree upon now is Arsenal v Spurs is the best derby to watch in the UK without a doubt

If I was introducing someone to football I'd get them to watch a north london derby for sure. Regardless of form it always turns into absolute mayhem
  • Pxul_
    8072 posts League Winner
    Newcastle and Sunderland derby is quality aswell. Just no where near the Calibre of players 😂
  • Welbeck
    5179 posts Big Money Move
    really doubt we’ll get Upamecano when Saliba is coming in, 60m on a player when we have Holding and Saliba (young) and Sokratis/Luiz/Mustafi/Chambers as well doesn’t seem very us.

also tbh at this point would avoid spending that much on Ceballos, yet to see anything from him to convince me he’d be worth the ~50m he’d likely cost.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4346 posts National Call-Up
    Welbeck wrote: »
    really doubt we’ll get Upamecano when Saliba is coming in, 60m on a player when we have Holding and Saliba (young) and Sokratis/Luiz/Mustafi/Chambers as well doesn’t seem very us.

also tbh at this point would avoid spending that much on Ceballos, yet to see anything from him to convince me he’d be worth the ~50m he’d likely cost.

I agree. Think the next position we really need to nail down is who plays in midfield next to Guendouzi/Willock. Xhaka obviously is very limited and not the answer and Torreira has fallen off badly in since his first 6 months, added to the fact Emery clearly doesn't particularly like him.
  • arsenalap

We need 4 cbs tbh, and it means within a couple years our set would be:

Upamecano, Holding, Saliba and Chambers.

I dont see any issues with that.

Saliba is 18, he will take a few years before he is starting properly. I dont see us rushing him into the starting XI. Chambers is a good rotation option.

It's too good an opportunity with Upas contract to not go for him. He likes Arsenal too apparently.

I agree on the midfield. I like Ceballos but 50m is too much but 35-40 is a good deal. I think hes a good player. I think we might end up selling Torreira and getting a replacement for him.
  • TakeItSlow
    7550 posts League Winner

Sokratis out of contract soon, desperately want to sell Mustafi, Luiz a stop gap, Chambers is alright.

Holding, Upamecano, Chambers, Saliba

As the four main options is perfect.
  • TakeItSlow
    7550 posts League Winner

Didn't you sign Falcao :joy:

• Ashy
    9901 posts League Winner
    Leno
    Bellerin - Holding - Luiz - Tierney
    Guendouzi - Xhaka - Ceballos
    Pepe - Aubameyang - Saka

Lacazette off the bench. Would love to see this team tonight
  • arsenalap
    Ashy wrote: »
    Leno
    Bellerin - Holding - Luiz - Tierney
    Guendouzi - Xhaka - Ceballos
    Pepe - Aubameyang - Saka

Lacazette off the bench. Would love to see this team tonight

No way is Bellerin fit enough, or good enough to drop Chambers in the form he is in.

Agree with the rest though. But I dont think Holding will start.
  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Didn't you sign Falcao :joy:

Falcao was a loan , he flopped but Atleast we weren’t paying an enormous fee over 5 years or else he’d have probably gone down as the biggest flop in history.
  • Gervinho 2.0 what are you doing?
  • Gervonta
    Awfully quiet in here....
  • arsenalap
    It's always quiet in here :D
  • Gervonta

Not normally :lol: normally take it slow is going back and forward arguing with himself :joy:
  • G000ner
    Gervonta wrote: »

Not normally :lol: normally take it slow is going back and forward arguing with himself :joy:

We have a premier league lounge now to discuss the games
  • Pughy30
    26294 posts Player of the Year
    Haven't been able to watch the game just how **** have we been?
  • arsenalap
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    Haven't been able to watch the game just how **** have we been?

We've been okay to be fair. Just no end product.
  • TakeItSlow
    7550 posts League Winner
    Sheff Utd absolutely deserved this
  • Fab
    18134 posts World Class
    For the love of God start Bellerin and Tierney against Palace
  • arsenalap
    So blunt. No creativity.

I liked Pepe very much today in fairness.