Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• arsenalap
    4621 posts National Call-Up
    Chelsea worst case would be dropping down to the Europa League.

Tbh it will also come down to which youth products deliver most this year.

AMN/Holding/Willock/Guendouzi/Nelson

James/Mount/RLC/Abraham/CHO

Tuanzube/McT/Periera/Gomes/Greenwood/

• Ahmer50x
    17459 posts World Class
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I’m struggling to see how any 1 of the 3 teams is noticeably stronger than the others. It looks very even overall, for me. With Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe, Arsenal’s attack looks by far, the scariest, but their defence, along with Chelsea’s, looks considerably weaker than United’s. I don’t buy that Tierney, Holding or Bellerin will improve the defence that much. Chelsea probably have the tastiest midfield options. So for me it’s:

GK: Chelsea until DDG cuts out the errors
    Defence: United
    Midfield: Chelsea
    Attack: Arsenal.

I will say I don't believe the gulf from Rashford and Martial to Auba and Laca is as big as it is being made out to be but this is generally correct.

It probably isn’t, but Arsenal have Pepe to add to that, whereas after Rashford and Martial, United’s picks are a lot greener.

giphy.gif

Can't wait till they ripen :smirk:
  • arsenalap
    I’m struggling to see how any 1 of the 3 teams is noticeably stronger than the others. It looks very even overall, for me. With Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe, Arsenal’s attack looks by far, the scariest, but their defence, along with Chelsea’s, looks considerably weaker than United’s. I don’t buy that Tierney, Holding or Bellerin will improve the defence that much. Chelsea probably have the tastiest midfield options. So for me it’s:

I will say I don't believe the gulf from Rashford and Martial to Auba and Laca is as big as it is being made out to be but this is generally correct.

But whilst I agree the potential is there, you have nothing to back that up.

When both produce more than 20 goals/assists a season then the gulf would have closed a bit but until then it's all potential.

Equally I think the gulf between AWB/Shaw/Lindelof and Bellerin/Tierney/Holding may be much closer come the end of the season. But that's just my opinion, time will tell. I think that's much more likely than Rashford/Martial putting up close to Auba/Laca numbers though

The difference is you have Maguire, much like we have Pepe down the other end.
  • Gervonta
    3734 posts National Call-Up

Tried to point this out earlier , each team are stronger in different positions but certain people and a troll seem to think one team stands out above the rest.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4276 posts National Call-Up
    El_Nino wrote: »
    United fans actually have no shame, coming in here bantering about a loss to Liverpool when they've just lost at home to Palace :D

Onto us, Pepe is going to be superb, just needs a confidence booster in front of goal but he looked fantastic running at their back 4 and creating things. Willock also looked really good in the first half on the counter, had Trent on the back foot quite a few times and broke their lines well. Unfortunately Ceballos had a really tough game against Fabinho who was quite frankly WC and Luiz/fullbacks let us down in the second half. Still a major work in progress, I fully expect us to kick on once Bellerin/Tierney/Holding come back into the first XI. If we finish below United or Chelsea with our squad, Emery will have to be immediately sacked.

Unai may as well pack his bags now :smirk:

Shall stand by it, if we don't get top 4 he 100% has to go. He had a large wealth of mitigating factors last season to give him some leeway but he has no excuses not to achieve it this time round.

I actually think he’s a pretty good manager, but I don’t think you’ve given him a balanced enough squad.

Out of curiosity, what if you finish 5th and win Europa? Does he still need to go?

In my opinion with the attacking riches we've got now especially with the Pepe addition and RH/KT/HB coming back into the XI he has more than enough available to be able to beat a first season Solsjkaer/Lampard with lesser quality squads. Think the injuries massively handicapped him defensively and tactically last season, as well as issues with Ramsey and Ozil which weren't particularly his fault (more the previous regime).

If I'm honest I wouldn't be too averse to seeing him go even if we finish 4th if the right manager came available as I don't think he's the manager who will push onto challenging the top 2 in the next 2/3 seasons, that being said I can't see the club pulling the trigger on a manager who IMO would challenge the top clubs with the correct backing/structure (Allegri/Mourinho) so we're in a bit of a catch-22.

Sacking Emery after getting you too 4 would be one of the stupidest moves I’ve ever seen.

Your squad is at best 4th best, and that’s debatable given the state of your CBs/Mid. 4th place is a great effort from Emery, I honestly don’t know what your on if you’d want him replaced after that.

Yes but the point is his limit in my opinion as a manager is top 4. If we achieve UCL this season and invest properly in the next 1/2 windows there's no reason why we can't have a squad capable of at least putting in a title challenge and pushing Liverpool/City, and I'm not sure whether Emery is the manager to oversee that. Plus you have to consider that his contract runs out at the end of the season, so if we just scrape through to 4th with no style of play or identity again will handing him a 3 year deal really be a wise decision? Unfortunately though as I said it's easier said than done picking a replacement - you either fully get behind a winner like Mourinho's structure or appoint an upcoming manager like Nagelsmann who has a concrete philosophy which could compete with significant backing.

It'll be interesting to see how ruthless the club are, I don't see us getting rid of him if we achieve top 4 however I'm expecting to see big improvements this season both in style of play and overall position.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    Gervonta wrote: »
    Ashy wrote: »
    GK - Leno/Martinez v De Gea/Romero v Kepa/Caballero- Chelsea/United

RB - Bellerin/AMN v AWB/Dalot v Azpilicueta/James- United

CB - Holding/Sokraris/Luiz/Chambers v Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Smalling v Rudiger/Zouma/Christiansen/Tomori- United

LB - Tierney/Kolasinac v Shaw/Young v Emerson/Alonso- Arsenal/Chelsea

CM - Torreira/Ceballos/Willock/Xhaka/Guendouzi/Ozil v
    Pogba/McTominay/Fred/Matic/Lingard/Gomes v
    Kante/Jorginho/RLC/Mount/Barkley/Kovacic- Id actually give it to Chelsea.

RW - Pepe/Nelson v James/Mata v Pulisic/Pedro- Arsenal

ST - Lacazette/Martinelli v Martial/Greenwood v Abraham/Giroud- United

LW - Aubameyang/Mkhitaryan v Rashford/Pereira v Willian/CHO- idk who to give it too here each team has one good and one awful player :lol:

For me:
    GK goes Chelsea/United/Arsenal
    Lb goes: Chelsea=Arsenal/United
    CB goes: United/Chelsea///////////////////Arsenal
    Rb goes:United/Arsenal/Chelsea
    CM goes: Chelsea/United/Arsenal
    RW goes: Chelsea=Arsenal/United
    LW goes: Arsenal/United/Chelsea
    ST goes: Arsenal=United/Chelsea(hopefully Abraham kicks on to change this.

Talking squad depth that is not just first choice player

so you think CHO is on par with Pepe? Jesus.
  • Tropicaz XBL

Not sure how you can say that unless you didn't watch us at all last season. They were literally our two best players behind Aubameyang before they respectively got injured, and a huge part in our 22 match unbeaten run. Their replacements last season were Mustafi and Maitland Niles. :D
  • El_Nino
    2943 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 25

CB - Holding/Sokraris/Luiz/Chambers v Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Smalling v Rudiger/Zouma/Christiansen/Tomori- United

LW - Aubameyang/Mkhitaryan v Rashford/Pereira v Willian/CHO- idk who to give it too here each team has one good and one awful player :lol:

For me:

CHO plays left mate.
    I put him Chelsea last for the left.
    I think Pulisic and Pepe are equally unproven, with Pulisic making slightly more of an impact so far, but ofc Pepe did more last year.
    But Pedro is better than Nelson imo so evens it out.
  • Tropicaz XBL

For me:

CHO plays left mate.
    I think Pulisic and Pepe are equally unproven, with Pulisic making slightly more of an impact so far, but ofc Pepe did more last year.

Fair enough, when I saw CHO last season he only played on the right so that's how I'm judging him, obviously Hazard was playing LW though so if that's his main position i'm interested to see how he does.

Still think Pepe has a lot more to his overall game than Pulisic but ofc the jury is out on that until both have played half a season at least.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    arsenalap wrote: »

But whilst I agree the potential is there, you have nothing to back that up.

When both produce more than 20 goals/assists a season then the gulf would have closed a bit but until then it's all potential.

Equally I think the gulf between AWB/Shaw/Lindelof and Bellerin/Tierney/Holding may be much closer come the end of the season. But that's just my opinion, time will tell. I think that's much more likely than Rashford/Martial putting up close to Auba/Laca numbers though

The difference is you have Maguire, much like we have Pepe down the other end.

Agreed totally with this. The only question mark is how quickly those 3 can regain their match fitness and form which they showed throughout last season. In terms of quality and recent performances before their injuries there is nothing in it at all between the defensive trios mentioned.
  • El_Nino
    2943 posts Fans' Favourite

For me:

CHO plays left mate.

Fair enough, when I saw CHO last season he only played on the right so that's how I'm judging him, obviously Hazard was playing LW though so if that's his main position i'm interested to see how he does.

Still think Pepe has a lot more to his overall game than Pulisic but ofc the jury is out on that until both have played half a season at least.

Yeah that’s why I put them equal, too early to judge either. And yeah CHO did play right last year but he’s left wing naturally just obviously wasn’t displacing Hazard
  • Tropicaz XBL
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Kolasinac start next week, especially if Monreal's leaving
  • arsenalap
    Monreal leaving now is up there with the worst decisions in a while.

It makes so much sense to let him go in January when everyone is back.

Letting him go now will be suicidal.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Monreal leaving now is up there with the worst decisions in a while.

It makes so much sense to let him go in January when everyone is back.

Letting him go now will be suicidal.

Agreed. If we're only getting like 4m(?) tops for him I'd rather just keep him as another option back there whilst Tierney gets up to speed.
  • Tropicaz XBL
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

Scary... the only thing scary in there was the one on one.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    Couchy wrote: »

9467bc619953b2e567e1269b2984030d.png

You wanna reply any quicker btw? Probably have notifications every time a post is made in here
  • Ashy
    9581 posts League Winner
    Imagine having a rivals thread bookmarked
  • Tropicaz XBL

Very strange behaviour, you'd imagine he'd focus on the fact his side scored once and conceded twice against Roy Hodgson's Crystal Palace at home after spending 130m on their back 5 but hey ho
  • finsfan85
    12256 posts Has That Special Something

Very strange behaviour, you'd imagine he'd focus on the fact his side scored once and conceded twice against Roy Hodgson's Crystal Palace at home after spending 130m on their back 5 but hey ho

They claim neither of their new signings were at fault for the goals, but both of them were either side of Lindelof watching as he failed to win the header.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    finsfan85 wrote: »

They claim neither of their new signings were at fault for the goals, but both of them were either side of Lindelof watching as he failed to win the header.

38b6a65cf1ce298ab9632902918fa057.png
  • Tornado31619
    16581 posts World Class
    You’re going to smash Spurs.
  • Tropicaz XBL

Would like to hope so however form always goes out of the window for derby matches.

Without doubt we have to go more attacking and take the game to them this weekend though, they're in a bad spot atm and we've got more than enough attacking threat to hurt them. Torreira/Lacaz got to start imo.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

You wanna reply any quicker btw? Probably have notifications every time a post is made in here

When all you can comeback with is the speed of a comment 😂
  • Tropicaz XBL

you're obsessed with Pepe when your own side lost 2-1 to Palace at home after spending 130m on the defence

hope this helps
  • Ahmer50x
    17459 posts World Class

Hopefully a nice draw
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

you're obsessed with Pepe when your own side lost 2-1 to Palace at home after spending 130m on the defence

hope this helps

Bad result for sure. But good to see our £15m signing score his second of the season though, was really worried given he has never played in the league before.

Heard some players struggle with the step up.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    edited August 25

hope this helps

Bad result for sure. But good to see our £15m signing score his second of the season though, was really worried given he has never played in the league before.

Good as it gets for you lot nowadays, gassing up a Championship winger who scored in a 2-1 loss at home to a side that got fisted by Sheffield United. :D

And before you no doubt bring up the pointless fact that he's scored more goals after 3 league games than Pepe, Barnes and Pukki have more goals than Aubameyang and Kane at the minute. :D
  • Ahmer50x
    17459 posts World Class

hope this helps

Good as it gets for you lot nowadays, gassing up a Championship winger who scored in a 2-1 loss at home to a side that got fisted by Sheffield United. :D

That “Championship winger” has as many league goals as the Gabonese Jamie Vardy and the Nouveau Gervinho combined.