Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• TakeItSlow
    7185 posts Big Money Move
    Gervonta wrote: »
    4th best squads a bit of a push tbh.

Isn’t at all. You just have to look at the United and Chelsea benches compared to ours to see that.
  • Tornado31619
    16570 posts World Class

It’s either United or Arsenal. Definitely not Chelsea (though they do have some good youth players coming through, e.g. Mason Mount).
  • El_Nino
    2936 posts Fans' Favourite
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    United fans actually have no shame, coming in here bantering about a loss to Liverpool when they've just lost at home to Palace :D

Onto us, Pepe is going to be superb, just needs a confidence booster in front of goal but he looked fantastic running at their back 4 and creating things. Willock also looked really good in the first half on the counter, had Trent on the back foot quite a few times and broke their lines well. Unfortunately Ceballos had a really tough game against Fabinho who was quite frankly WC and Luiz/fullbacks let us down in the second half. Still a major work in progress, I fully expect us to kick on once Bellerin/Tierney/Holding come back into the first XI. If we finish below United or Chelsea with our squad, Emery will have to be immediately sacked.

Unai may as well pack his bags now :smirk:

Shall stand by it, if we don't get top 4 he 100% has to go. He had a large wealth of mitigating factors last season to give him some leeway but he has no excuses not to achieve it this time round.

I actually think he’s a pretty good manager, but I don’t think you’ve given him a balanced enough squad.

Out of curiosity, what if you finish 5th and win Europa? Does he still need to go?

In my opinion with the attacking riches we've got now especially with the Pepe addition and RH/KT/HB coming back into the XI he has more than enough available to be able to beat a first season Solsjkaer/Lampard with lesser quality squads. Think the injuries massively handicapped him defensively and tactically last season, as well as issues with Ramsey and Ozil which weren't particularly his fault (more the previous regime).

If I'm honest I wouldn't be too averse to seeing him go even if we finish 4th if the right manager came available as I don't think he's the manager who will push onto challenging the top 2 in the next 2/3 seasons, that being said I can't see the club pulling the trigger on a manager who IMO would challenge the top clubs with the correct backing/structure (Allegri/Mourinho) so we're in a bit of a catch-22.

Sacking Emery after getting you too 4 would be one of the stupidest moves I’ve ever seen.

Your squad is at best 4th best, and that’s debatable given the state of your CBs/Mid. 4th place is a great effort from Emery, I honestly don’t know what your on if you’d want him replaced after that.

We have the 4th best squad in the league there’s no debate. Which is why emery should only be sacked if he fails to get top 4.

A loss away to Liverpool, getting that fixture out the way and still being above our main competition for 4th? Beautiful.

I mean it’s clearly a debate, many people have debated it. With the state of your central midfield and central defence there’s a strong argument your not the 4th best, certainly not a clear 4th.

Regardless my point was more in Regards too the state of that comment from Tropicaz. Sacking Emery after getting 4th would be incredibly incredibly dumb.
  • Gervonta
    3734 posts National Call-Up

Isn’t at all. You just have to look at the United and Chelsea benches compared to ours to see that.

Lacazette is the only decent on from yesterday’s bench.

The rest aren’t top 4 quality.

Your starting 11 isn’t the best either.

Monreal , Luiz , AMN aren’t the best defenders.

Each team has their weaknesses and each team are stronger in different areas but to say you’re by far the 4th best is a massive push.
  • Ahmer50x
    17375 posts World Class

I mean, yeah you had Torreira on the bench but that was because you keep starting Xhaka :joy:
  • Mike
    9979 posts Has That Special Something
    Well it’s not. They’ve easily got the 4th best squad
  • Apollo
    14339 posts Has That Special Something

Each team has their weaknesses and each team are stronger in different areas but to say you’re by far the 4th best is a massive push.

They have Bellerin, Tierney and Holding all out injured, their defence can be better than what they're forced to play at the moment.
  • TakeItSlow
    7185 posts Big Money Move

You just forgetting like half of our main team? This is the thing, we had Tierney, Holding, Bellerin, Torreira and Lacazette not involved in yesterday’s game.

Whilst you pretty much had your main starting 11 vs Palace and are already being forced to play a pensioner at left back.

There quite literally isn’t a debate @El_Nino it’s all bias. Our squad is 4th best, and should be getting CL football. We invested heavily in the summer to make it 4th best to push us over the line.
  • Gervonta
    Apollo wrote: »

They have Bellerin, Tierney and Holding all out injured, their defence can be better than what they're forced to play at the moment.

Whilst they’re better than what they can currently field they aren’t exactly elite material that makes them much better than the other teams challenging for top 4.

Tierney has been decent for Celtic but who says he’s going to tear up the premier league ? Just because Robertson has done it doesn’t automatically mean he will.

Bellerin has declined hugely since his debut arguably due to injuries imo. He’s had a few decent performs here and there but doesn’t look the same player he was a few years ago.

Holding I don’t understand the big hype ? Maybe because there’s not much to live up too in Arsenal’s defence it’s not like they’ve been watching top class defenders week in week out for years ?

• Tornado31619
    16570 posts World Class
    Mike wrote: »

What makes you say that? Because they are pretty blatantly carried by their attack. Their midfield is average and their defence is crap.

Now if their defence was decent, then I’d see where you’re coming from. If Pepe buries his one-on-one and you take away the Luiz disasterclass, Arsenal probably leave Anfield with all three points TBH (factoring in Torreira’s consolation, which would instead have been the winner).
  • El_Nino

You just forgetting like half of our main team? This is the thing, we had Tierney, Holding, Bellerin, Torreira and Lacazette not involved in yesterday’s game.

Whilst you pretty much had your main starting 11 vs Palace and are already being forced to play a pensioner at left back.

There quite literally isn’t a debate @El_Nino it’s all bias. Our squad is 4th best, and should be getting CL football. We invested heavily in the summer to make it 4th best to push us over the line.

I actually agree on paper I’d probably put you fourth best, but that’s an opinion, and I only put you fractionally ahead of United. To say it’s not up for debate to me at least is stupid, United have more than enough quality to argue they’re in a better position.

As I say regardless my point was more how ridiculous Tropicaz’s comment was.
  • Gervonta

What makes you say that? Because they are pretty blatantly carried by their attack. Their midfield is average and their defence is crap.

Now if their defence was decent, then I’d see where you’re coming from. If Pepe buries his one-on-one and you take away the Luiz disasterclass, Arsenal probably leave Anfield with all three points TBH (factoring in Torreira’s consolation, which would instead have been the winner).

This.

There midfield isn’t as good as it seems.

Defensively they’re awful , tierney hasn’t shown his can handle the league yet who knows if he can produce what he did for Celtic ?

Bellerin isn’t good defensively and attacking wise he doesn’t have a great delivery it’s mainly his pace that helps his recover a lot of errors.
  • Ahmer50x
    17375 posts World Class

I actually agree on paper I’d probably put you fourth best, but that’s an opinion, and I only put you fractionally ahead of United. To say it’s not up for debate to me at least is stupid, United have more than enough quality to argue they’re in a better position.

As I say regardless my point was more how ridiculous Tropicaz’s comment was.

I think its close and Arsenal's attack is clearly more proven but I think our balance will win out at the end of the day.

Want to bet avatar's on top 4 (if you haven't already with someone else) @TakeItSlow ?
  • Mike

Their attack is easily the 3rd best in the league, midfield is better than United's and Chelsea's, it's only their defense that is kinda weak but it'll be on par with United's once they get players back from injuries.
  • Apollo
    14339 posts Has That Special Something
    Apollo wrote: »

Whilst they’re better than what they can currently field they aren’t exactly elite material that makes them much better than the other teams challenging for top 4.

Tierney has been decent for Celtic but who says he’s going to tear up the premier league ? Just because Robertson has done it doesn’t automatically mean he will.

Bellerin has declined hugely since his debut arguably due to injuries imo. He’s had a few decent performs here and there but doesn’t look the same player he was a few years ago.

Holding I don’t understand the big hype ? Maybe because there’s not much to live up too in Arsenal’s defence it’s not like they’ve been watching top class defenders week in week out for years ?

I was just pointing out their current defence is not their first choice, they will be better defensively when they get some of them back from injury.

I still think we can get top 4 if we have some luck with injuries, but its between us and Arsenal for 4th and 5th imo, can't see Chelsea getting close to top 4, think they'll finish 6th.
  • El_Nino
    edited August 25

Their attack is easily the 3rd best in the league, midfield is better than United's and Chelsea's, it's only their defense that is kinda weak but it'll be on par with United's once they get players back from injuries.

Nah that’s just bait.

• Ashy
    9568 posts League Winner
    GK - Leno/Martinez v De Gea/Romero v Kepa/Caballero

RB - Bellerin/AMN v AWB/Dalot v Azpilicueta/James

CB - Holding/Sokraris/Luiz/Chambers v Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Smalling v Rudiger/Zouma/Christiansen/Tomori

LB - Tierney/Kolasinac v Shaw/Young v Emerson/Alonso

CM - Torreira/Ceballos/Willock/Xhaka/Guendouzi/Ozil v
    Pogba/McTominay/Fred/Matic/Lingard/Gomes v
    Kante/Jorginho/RLC/Mount/Barkley/Kovacic

RW - Pepe/Nelson v James/Mata v Pulisic/Pedro

ST - Lacazette/Martinelli v Martial/Greenwood v Abraham/Giroud

LW - Aubameyang/Mkhitaryan v Rashford/Pereira v Willian/CHO
  • Gervonta
    edited August 25
    Ashy wrote: »
    GK - Leno/Martinez v De Gea/Romero v Kepa/Caballero- Chelsea/United

RB - Bellerin/AMN v AWB/Dalot v Azpilicueta/James- United

CB - Holding/Sokraris/Luiz/Chambers v Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Smalling v Rudiger/Zouma/Christiansen/Tomori- United

LB - Tierney/Kolasinac v Shaw/Young v Emerson/Alonso- Arsenal/Chelsea

Kante/Jorginho/RLC/Mount/Barkley/Kovacic- Id actually give it to Chelsea.

RW - Pepe/Nelson v James/Mata v Pulisic/Pedro- Arsenal

ST - Lacazette/Martinelli v Martial/Greenwood v Abraham/Giroud- United

LW - Aubameyang/Mkhitaryan v Rashford/Pereira v Willian/CHO- idk who to give it too here each team has one good and one awful player :lol:

• Mike

Nah that’s just bait.
    Who played in midfield for United yesterday, Pogba, Ligard and McTominay? Cebellos, Guendouzi and Xhaka are definitely a better trio then them. Pogba is alright, but Ligard and McTominay are lower table standard.
  • El_Nino

Nah that’s just bait.
    Who played in midfield for United yesterday, Pogba, Ligard and McTominay? Cebellos, Guendouzi and Xhaka are definitely a better trio then them. Pogba is alright, but Ligard and McTominay are lower table standard.

Absolutely no chance, MCT and Lingaard are decent and average respectively, which is significantly better than Arsenal’s two.
    And while I think Pogba is overrated abit he’s without a doubt better than Ceballos
  • Mike

Nah that’s just bait.

Absolutely no chance, MCT and Lingaard are decent and average respectively, which is significantly better than Arsenal’s two.
    And while I think Pogba is overrated abit he’s without a doubt better than Ceballos
    What makes you think McTominay and Lingard are better than Xhaki and Guendouzi? Guendouzi is a brilliant player and even though Xhaka isn't the best, he is still better than United's two.
  • Ahmer50x
    17375 posts World Class

Nah that’s just bait.

Torreira>McT
    Ceballos<Pogba
    literally anyone>Lingard

And for depth:

Guendouzi>Fred
    Xhaka>Matic

I think Arsenal do have the better midfield.
  • arsenalap
    4585 posts National Call-Up
    Come back to this in 2 months when our whole squad is fit. For now it's pointless.

Equally though I fail to see how our midfield is average.

Torreira - Ceballos - Willock/Guendouzi/Xhaka/Ozil is far from average.

And our set of full backs once fit will be one of the best, and Leno has been very good.

Our CBs are the obvious weak spot, so a lot is riding on how Holding comes back.
  • arsenalap
    4585 posts National Call-Up

Nah that’s just bait.

Rubbish.

Which arsenal two are you referring to? Guendozui and Willock? Both are more talented than MCT, especially Guendouzi. I can see why people dont believe Willock yet but he is class.

If you really think Lingard and McT are better than 2 of Torreira, Willock, Guendouzi, Xhaka or Ozil then you're mad.
  • El_Nino
    edited August 25
    Ashy wrote: »
    GK - Leno/Martinez v De Gea/Romero v Kepa/Caballero- Chelsea/United

RB - Bellerin/AMN v AWB/Dalot v Azpilicueta/James- United

CB - Holding/Sokraris/Luiz/Chambers v Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Smalling v Rudiger/Zouma/Christiansen/Tomori- United

LB - Tierney/Kolasinac v Shaw/Young v Emerson/Alonso- Arsenal/Chelsea

Kante/Jorginho/RLC/Mount/Barkley/Kovacic- Id actually give it to Chelsea.

RW - Pepe/Nelson v James/Mata v Pulisic/Pedro- Arsenal

ST - Lacazette/Martinelli v Martial/Greenwood v Abraham/Giroud- United

LW - Aubameyang/Mkhitaryan v Rashford/Pereira v Willian/CHO- idk who to give it too here each team has one good and one awful player :lol:

For me:
    GK goes Chelsea/United/Arsenal
    Lb goes: Chelsea=Arsenal/United
    CB goes: United/Chelsea///////////////////Arsenal
    Rb goes:United/Arsenal/Chelsea
    CM goes: Chelsea/United/Arsenal
    RW goes: Chelsea=Arsenal/United
    LW goes: Arsenal/United/Chelsea
    ST goes: Arsenal=United/Chelsea(hopefully Abraham kicks on to change this.

Talking squad depth that is not just first choice player
  • Kellnerr
    2512 posts Fans' Favourite
    Chelsea has probably the best midfield, Arsenal in 2nd place and United with the worst since Pogba alone doesn't make your entire midfield great. Arsenal has clearly the best attack, probably even in all 3 positions and United by far the best defense. Only debate is probably who has the better GK, but they are all really close.

Arsenal has the 4th best squad in the league, the only people that think otherwise are probably United fans. Udt has the 5th best squad and then comes Chelsea.

I'd actually say Chelsea has played the best football so far though and can challenge for top4 aswell. If they go out in the early knockout stages of CL football they can fully concentrate on the league, whereas Arsenal and United have to battle in EL - winning that might even be an easier way getting CL football next season.
  • SDoofus
    4757 posts National Call-Up
    I’m struggling to see how any 1 of the 3 teams is noticeably stronger than the others. It looks very even overall, for me. With Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe, Arsenal’s attack looks by far, the scariest, but their defence, along with Chelsea’s, looks considerably weaker than United’s. I don’t buy that Tierney, Holding or Bellerin will improve the defence that much. Chelsea probably have the tastiest midfield options. So for me it’s:

GK: Chelsea until DDG cuts out the errors
    Defence: United
    Midfield: Chelsea
    Attack: Arsenal.
  • El_Nino
    SDoofus wrote: »
    I’m struggling to see how any 1 of the 3 teams is noticeably stronger than the others. It looks very even overall, for me. With Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe, Arsenal’s attack looks by far, the scariest, but their defence, along with Chelsea’s, looks considerably weaker than United’s. I don’t buy that Tierney, Holding or Bellerin will improve the defence that much. Chelsea probably have the tastiest midfield options. So for me it’s:

Basically exactly this.

• Ahmer50x
    17375 posts World Class

I will say I don't believe the gulf from Rashford and Martial to Auba and Laca is as big as it is being made out to be but this is generally correct.
  • SDoofus
    4757 posts National Call-Up

I will say I don't believe the gulf from Rashford and Martial to Auba and Laca is as big as it is being made out to be but this is generally correct.

It probably isn’t, but Arsenal have Pepe to add to that, whereas after Rashford and Martial, United’s picks are a lot greener.