Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Tornado31619
    17041 posts World Class
    Clear favourites to finish 3rd now with our fixtures, which is massive considering where we were a few weeks ago.

Clear favourites? Not sure about that. Spurs are bottle jobs, but they aren’t that bad, and I can’t see us losing out on top four either. Having said that, you’re putting yourselves in a very strong position at the moment. Chelsea are out of it IMO.

If I had to pick the side that I would rather finish in the top four (between you and Spurs, obviously), I’d go Tottenham. Considering that they aren’t a big club and are usually underdogs in the CL, I’ve enjoyed watching them slap Real and BVB and take Juve to the limit. I won’t say that you’re too inconsistent to be getting results like theirs, because they’ve had some massive slip-ups in the league, but I think you still need another window or two to get on their level (yes, I’m saying that their squad is better than yours at the moment).
    Perhaps that’s because whilst you’ve been in the Europa League, they’ve actually gone and gotten the results, but despite Unai’s results being significantly better than Wenger’s from a season or two ago, none of your performances have made me think “Arsenal are ready for a CL return”.

I must admit, however, having Arsenal back in the CL would be refreshing. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, it’s still a very strong possibility. The season’s not over yet, and things could get very interesting. Just really not looking forward to needing a win against City. :s
  • G000ner
    4227 posts National Call-Up
    Clear favourites to finish 3rd now with our fixtures, which is massive considering where we were a few weeks ago.

Clear favourites? Not sure about that. Spurs are bottle jobs, but they aren’t that bad, and I can’t see us losing out on top four either. Having said that, you’re putting yourselves in a very strong position at the moment. Chelsea are out of it IMO.

If I had to pick the side that I would rather finish in the top four (between you and Spurs, obviously), I’d go Tottenham. Considering that they aren’t a big club and are usually underdogs in the CL, I’ve enjoyed watching them slap Real and BVB and take Juve to the limit. I won’t say that you’re too inconsistent to be getting results like theirs, because they’ve had some massive slip-ups in the league, but I think you still need another window or two to get on their level (yes, I’m saying that their squad is better than yours at the moment).
    Perhaps that’s because whilst you’ve been in the Europa League, they’ve actually gone and gotten the results, but despite Unai’s results being significantly better than Wenger’s from a season or two ago, none of your performances have made me think “Arsenal are ready for a CL return”.

I must admit, however, having Arsenal back in the CL would be refreshing. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, it’s still a very strong possibility. The season’s not over yet, and things could get very interesting. Just really not looking forward to needing a win against City. :s

Spurs play Liverpool at Anfield next, which they will lose. United and Arsenal have home fixtures against Watford and Newcastle. If they both win those, and Chelsea win their two fixtures against Everton and Cardiff, Spurs could be in 6th place in 3 weeks time. They are definitely not playing well at the moment and I'd say they're the least likely to make top 4 right now.
  • arsenalap
    5184 posts Big Money Move
    We aren't clear favourites. Away form is terrible.

What we have is we play a lot of teams with nothing to play for so we need to rely on that
  • G000ner
    arsenalap wrote: »
    We aren't clear favourites. Away form is terrible.

What we have is we play a lot of teams with nothing to play for so we need to rely on that

Well it has been terrible all season and yet we're 4th now. We will drop points, but so will other competing teams, who have difficult fixtures to play. It's by no means a certainty, but we are definitely favourites for top 4 right now.
  • SDoofus
    5120 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 11
    You're definitely the clear favourites, with Chelsea close behind. I think Spurs will finish 3rd, as this poor run of form probably isn't sustainable, so they'll probably pick up. United will likely finish 6th, imo, mirroring Spurs, their amazing run wasn't sustainable and it will be very interesting to see how they react to being beaten, finally, because now the pressure will be on to get top 4.

Edit: Funnily enough, just checked William Hill, and they have it in that order too.
  • Kellnerr
    2597 posts Fans' Favourite
    SDoofus wrote: »
    You're definitely the clear favourites, with Chelsea close behind. I think Spurs will finish 3rd, as this poor run of form probably isn't sustainable, so they'll probably pick up. United will likely finish 6th, imo, mirroring Spurs, their amazing run wasn't sustainable and it will be very interesting to see how they react to being beaten, finally, because now the pressure will be on to get top 4.

Edit: Funnily enough, just checked William Hill, and they have it in that order too.

Fully agree with you there, can even see Arsenal and Chelsea finishing 3rd and 4th tbh. Will also be very interesting to see what impact european cups have on the top4 race.
  • Ashy
    9750 posts League Winner
    You could say it might work in our favour to get knocked out by Rennes then we can put full focus on the league with only 8 games left.

We should be able to beat Newcastle, Palace and Brighton at home
    Away fixtures aren't against the top 6 but are still tricky, Wolves, Leicester, Everton, Watford and Burnley. Most of these have nothing to play for because they are mid-table.

I'd like us to get at the very least 4 points from Wolves, Leicester and Everton then maybe 4 points from Watford and Burnley, 77 point finish should be enough for top 4
  • ViVaWhom
    8147 posts League Winner

if spurs form picks up you are ****
  • SDoofus
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

if spurs form picks up you are ****

Not really because we are still better.
  • AEsey
    5999 posts Big Money Move

We'll be in the UCL next year anyway.....
    As the holders B) B) B) B) B)
  • SDoofus
    AEsey wrote: »

And then you woke up.
  • forearms
    4828 posts National Call-Up

And then you woke up.

That made me LOL. It is legit something kids used to say on the schoolyard as a burn.
  • SDoofus
    forearms wrote: »

And then you woke up.

That made me LOL. It is legit something kids used to say on the schoolyard as a burn.

Not another American :D This place is infested.
  • forearms

And then you woke up.

I thought you knew I am American?

I just hadn't heard that phrase in decades. Made me laugh.
  • SDoofus

And then you woke up.

Decades? How old are you?
  • forearms

And then you woke up.

Decades? How old are you?

Old.
  • AEsey

And then you woke up.

What wrong with the Americans
  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class

And then you woke up.

Is that a serious question?
  • AEsey
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »

And then you woke up.

Is that a serious question?

Yeah, people keep mentioning them as if they haven't got a clue, which imo is wrong
    I have no issue with them, they are entitled to an opinion just as much as local fans.
  • G000ner
    Maitland-Niles is elite
  • arsenalap
    G000ner wrote: »
    Maitland-Niles is elite

He's class.

This formation is much better balanced with the players we have.

Sokratis and Leno for Mustafi and Cech.

And we also have good options off the bench.

I'd rest Torreira for a couple games.
  • ViVaWhom
    8147 posts League Winner
    needed 2 offside goals against a midtable farmers league team lol
  • arsenalap
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    needed 2 offside goals against a midtable farmers league team lol

I mean.. it was quite clearly 1 but okay.
  • AEsey
    I'm glad you lot are still in, those Thursday Sunday games will take its toll later on in the season, especially considering you have 5 away games in the epl to come.
  • IAIK7
    3434 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 15
    Arsenal vs Napoli
    Chelsea vs Slavia Prague
  • finsfan85
    12443 posts Has That Special Something
  • Tornado31619
    17041 posts World Class
    Had no clue Gnabry was ex-Arsenal. He seems to have improved a lot.
  • Pxul_
    7911 posts League Winner

Do you live under a rock?
  • FUTRocky77
    1134 posts Professional
    Pxul_ wrote: »

Do you live under a rock?

:D