Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• SDoofus
    4770 posts National Call-Up
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    @G000ner , how you feeling about the FA Cup match? I can't wait!

Should be a good game. Difficult to call who wins it

Agreed. Very similar teams too in that both sides are good going forward and have basically mid-table level defenses.

What would your combined XI be?
    De Gea
    Bellerin-Koscielny-Lindelof-Shaw
    Torriera
    Ramsey-Pogba
    Rashford-Lacazette-Martial

Defence is tough. Bellerin gets in there easily. Koscielny is the best center back from both teams when in form (like he was today). Both teams have a lot of defenders who are great on their day, but are inconsistent or unreliable.

Lacazette over Aubameyang? Wtf.
  • G000ner
    4093 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 20
    SDoofus wrote: »

Agreed. Very similar teams too in that both sides are good going forward and have basically mid-table level defenses.

De Gea
    Torriera
    Ramsey-Pogba

Defence is tough. Bellerin gets in there easily. Koscielny is the best center back from both teams when in form (like he was today). Both teams have a lot of defenders who are great on their day, but are inconsistent or unreliable.

Lacazette over Aubameyang? Wtf.

Auba is a better goalscorer, but Laca is better at everything else and will be needed to link-up the play. Already have the pace/directness in Martial and Rashford.

Not much between them, but I'd probably rather have Lacazette than Aubameyang in my team. Particularly if we're playing one up front.
  • Adrian095
    33939 posts National Team Captain
    edited January 20

De Gea
    Torriera
    Ramsey-Pogba

Sorry NO!

Maybe 3 years back
  • G000ner

De Gea
    Torriera
    Ramsey-Pogba

Sorry NO!

Maybe 3 years back

It's not like he has much competition. Today he proved how good he still can be. Before his injury a year ago, he was comfortably the best centre back from either side, in my opinion. The awful defenders he has alongside him makes him look worse than he is. We have always been a much better team when Koscielny's in the side
  • G000ner
  • WestardLord
    1457 posts Professional
    That's depressing.

Bellerin has been a huge contributor to most of the good things this season, and he has a great work rate on field.
  • Ahmer50x
    17454 posts World Class
    Is 35-year-old Lichtsteiner really going to be up against Martial/Alexis on Friday? :lol:
  • Sellish
    9034 posts League Winner
    Is 35-year-old Lichtsteiner really going to be up against Martial/Alexis on Friday? :lol:

Tbf I would be up for Alexis on Friday and I got a barely working right knee.
  • G000ner

him or maitland-niles
  • Adrian095
    Wanna see a performance from Alexis
  • SDoofus
    4770 posts National Call-Up
    What's the expected team for tonight?
  • Ashy
    9581 posts League Winner

I'm expecting us to play..

Cech
    Maitland's Niles - Sokratis - Koscielny - Kolasinac
    Torreira - Xhaka
    Iwobi - Ozil - Aubameyang
    Lacazette

Chance Ramsey starts over Ozil but I do think Ozil will play a part, it will be an entertaining game, both defences giving many chances away, can see it being a score draw with the replay at OT with us eventually losing
  • Ahmer50x
    17454 posts World Class
    Would love to see Lichtsteiner and Xhaka start. Would get absolutely rinsed by Sanchez/Martial and Pogba.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    Ashy wrote: »

Cech
    Torreira - Xhaka
    Lacazette

Chance Ramsey starts over Ozil but I do think Ozil will play a part, it will be an entertaining game, both defences giving many chances away, can see it being a score draw with the replay at OT with us eventually losing

I thought they got rid of replays in the FA Cup this year??
  • finsfan85
    12250 posts Has That Special Something
    Couchy wrote: »

Cech
    Torreira - Xhaka
    Lacazette

Starts in the 5th round, I believe.
  • Gervonta
    3734 posts National Call-Up

Cech
    Torreira - Xhaka
    Lacazette

Yeah they have , extra time and penalties if it’s a draw at full time.

• Ahmer50x
    17454 posts World Class
    @finsfan85 is correct. Replays still in effect for the 4th round
  • finsfan85
    12250 posts Has That Special Something
    Gervonta wrote: »

Cech
    Torreira - Xhaka
    Lacazette

In rounds up to and including the Fourth Round Proper, fixtures resulting in a draw (after normal time) go to a replay, played at the venue of the away team, at a later date; if that replay is still tied, the winner is settled by a period of extra time, and if still necessary, a penalty shootout. Since 2016–17, ties have been settled on the day from the quarter-finals onwards, using extra time and penalties. From 2018–19, Fifth Round ties are also settled by extra time and penalties.
  • Gervonta
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    Gervonta wrote: »

Cech
    Torreira - Xhaka
    Lacazette

In rounds up to and including the Fourth Round Proper, fixtures resulting in a draw (after normal time) go to a replay, played at the venue of the away team, at a later date; if that replay is still tied, the winner is settled by a period of extra time, and if still necessary, a penalty shootout. Since 2016–17, ties have been settled on the day from the quarter-finals onwards, using extra time and penalties. From 2018–19, Fifth Round ties are also settled by extra time and penalties.

Ah my bad I thought it was fourth not fifth.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    How bloody pointless! Just get rid of them from the 3rd round
  • Apollo
    14392 posts Has That Special Something

Hope it happens, then the incessant Perisic to United rumours could finally end
  • Sellish
    9034 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »

Hope it happens, then the incessant Perisic to United rumours could finally end

Yes please.
  • Ahmer50x
    17454 posts World Class
    edited January 26
    When you have no money, bringing in a 29 year old doesn’t seem smart.

Would also be a very Arsenal signing. There are, off the top of my head, 6 better players in his position playing in the league already. How do you expect to improve your league standing if you keep signing inferior players?
  • arsenalap
    4617 posts National Call-Up
    I quite like him but his age puts me off massively. Already got too many 30 players.
  • G000ner
    As long as it is only option to buy and we don't purchase him then I'm happy with it. We're short on wingers, and squad numbers in general. Perisic will be very useful in our fight for top 4/Europa league as he's much better than what we have in those areas. I'll take him for 6 months, but we definitely should not be paying 35million for a 30 year old. A large portion of a summer spending would be spent on Perisic, and that would be a waste. Need to spend wisely and buy young, talented players with our small budget.
  • Ahmer50x
    17454 posts World Class
    As long as it is only option to buy and we don't purchase him then I'm happy with it. We're short on wingers, and squad numbers in general. Perisic will be very useful in our fight for top 4/Europa league as he's much better than what we have in those areas. I'll take him for 6 months, but we definitely should not be paying 35million for a 30 year old. A large portion of a summer spending would be spent on Perisic, and that would be a waste. Need to spend wisely and buy young, talented players with our small budget.

That's quite a damning indictment of your squad.

Hazard, Martial, Sane, Mane, Son, and Felipe Anderson are all better than Perisic, who you say is "much better" than what you have. You're basically saying it would be a big improvement for you to sign the 7th best left winger in the league (at best).
  • G000ner

That's quite a damning indictment of your squad.

Hazard, Martial, Sane, Mane, Son, and Felipe Anderson are all better than Perisic, who you say is "much better" than what you have. You're basically saying it would be a big improvement for you to sign the 7th best left winger in the league (at best).

Yes, but the wing is a clear weakness of ours. Every team has weaknesses. We are stronger in other areas- we have two of the top 5 strikers in the league. Even if he's not one of the world's greatest, Perisic will definitely improve us.
  • Adrian095
    If Perisic signs, ozil is fully down out ere. No space with Rambo, Torreira and Xhaka in that midfield.
  • Gervonta
    Perisic offer has been rejected.