Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• arsenalap
    5097 posts Big Money Move
    I honestly wish I knew what happened during HT team talks.

Surely they'd have said, we're getting in behind a lot, we need someone to make that front post run more, and to get in front of the defenders. And also for Welbeck to stay in the box more.

And we should have brought Miky on 10m earlier, it clearly wasn't working as it was, and he had energy and end product..
  • G000ner
    4215 posts National Call-Up
    Very disappointing way to lose it. As expected the first leg came back to haunt us. Can't really complain about the scoreline tonight. We created a few chances, but not many. The first leg we should've won by two goals and went through. Two defensive mistakes cost us, Atletico made zero. It's a shame because we actually played very well over the two legs. As usual we lack the cutting edge.

We need 4 new centre backs btw. This summer is gonna be fun
  • G000ner
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Not really, that's how it has functioned for a while. Otherwise it really would be pretty easy to win for a big team.

We should have gone through, we were the better side just about, but we were missing PEA to finish chances and get his head on things. That's the rule i'm annoyed about, that he wasn't allowed to play.

But, AM did defend very well. All the frustrating complaints to the referee annoyed me a lot, but they did what they needed to.

It was a story of their defence and the front 2 really that did us. Saying that, when Godin leaves/retires, and if Oblak and Griezmann go this summer, they'll be struggling next year to mount any form of offense.

I don't think we missed Auba really. I'm not even sure how much better he would be in the air than Lacazette. From what I've seen from him in the premier league, the physical side of his game isn't great. Lacazette is far more tenacious, and his hold up play and ball control was important given how much of the ball we had.

I was very, very impressed with Lacazette over the two legs. Hopefully he continues this way. If he does, next season will be very good for him.
    Ramsey, Xhaka and Bellerin have also been impressive over the two legs I think. Rest have been a bit inconsistent.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited May 2018
    Can someone please tell me what Bellerin offers to justify the hype and Barcelona rumors? Aside from running fast. He seems to lack any defensive awareness and his crossing would make you believe he is intentionally sabotaging your attack.

Meanwhile Ozil proves yet again why he is a luxury gimmick that Arsenal cannot afford. Like eating caviar in a council house.

Cash in already on what will be stupidly inflated prices for the both of them.
  • arsenalap
    edited May 2018
    G000ner wrote: »
    Not really, that's how it has functioned for a while. Otherwise it really would be pretty easy to win for a big team.

We should have gone through, we were the better side just about, but we were missing PEA to finish chances and get his head on things. That's the rule i'm annoyed about, that he wasn't allowed to play.

But, AM did defend very well. All the frustrating complaints to the referee annoyed me a lot, but they did what they needed to.

It was a story of their defence and the front 2 really that did us. Saying that, when Godin leaves/retires, and if Oblak and Griezmann go this summer, they'll be struggling next year to mount any form of offense.

I don't think we missed Auba really. I'm not even sure how much better he would be in the air than Lacazette. From what I've seen from him in the premier league, the physical side of his game isn't great. Lacazette is far more tenacious, and his hold up play and ball control was important given how much of the ball we had.

I was very, very impressed with Lacazette over the two legs. Hopefully he continues this way. If he does, next season will be very good for him.
    Ramsey, Xhaka and Bellerin have also been impressive over the two legs I think. Rest have been a bit inconsistent.

Really? The reason we didn't score is because we had no movement in the box. Auba is class at that..

Lacazette played very well, but he dropped so deep and wide, as did Welbeck. We really were missing someone in the box. I though Ramsey was poor today actually but he ran so much and didn't hide which forgives him for me.
  • arsenalap
    Can someone please tell me what Bellerin offers to justify the hype and Barcelona rumors? Aside from running fast. He seems to lack any defensive awareness and his crossing would make you believe he is intentionally sabotaging your attack.

Meanwhile Ozil proves yet again why he is a luxury gimmick that Arsenal cannot afford. Like eating caviar in a council house.

Bellerin actually played alright bar that mistake for me. He's done well for the past 10 games or so.

His link up play is good, he gets in very good positions, his control is quite good too. His defensive awareness for the goal was poor but bar that it wasn't bad. It doesn't help not having a proper DM to cover, and not having fantastic CBs either.

Saying that, I thought Chambers did a very good job.
  • G000ner
    edited May 2018
    Can some please tell me what Bellerin offers to justify the hype and Barcelona rumors? Aside from running fast.

Bellerin's actually pretty decent defensively tbh. His pace does help him recover, but he reads the game quite well, and has improved on his 1 on 1s. Going forward he could use some work, his crossing was very good a couple of seasons ago, but it seems to have deterioted. Either way, he has been excellent in this tie- first leg in particular.

A full back doesn't need a whole lot more than pace and defending anyway. Only exception is the way Barca play their full backs- he wouldn't be able to play for them because he's not good enough technically.

Ozil wasn't good tonight, but he was great in the first leg. The media are very quick to leap on his back when he has a bad game, but he isn't given enough credit when he has a good game. His inconsistency stops him from being the world's best, but he's still very, very good. It's hardly a burden to have a player like Ozil in your team- the passing and the vision of the man is phenomenal.

Both Bellerin and Ozil get a lot of criticism from opposing fans, and even our own fans. In reality they are no where near as bad as is made out. This happens all the time tbh. Football fans see a player receiving crticism and swiftly hop onto the bandwagon, without watching them enough to actually form an opinion of their own.

Anyway, with us not being in the champions league, they will be very difficult to replace.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Appreciate the response but it just reminds me of Liverpool fans trying to defend and justify Moreno.

Both have some skills that can on a good run give the illusuion that they are underrated gems, that they have world class potential or whatever but cost their teams on the big stage time and time again through defensive negligence and wasted possesion on random crosses with no intent.

Moreno also does the thing of looking really threatning and getting in to deadly positions but like Bellerin acheives absolutely nothing 99% of the time
  • Sellish
    9169 posts League Winner
    Who has been your player of the season in your opinion?
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something

I thought the Bellerin hype had completely died down by now. Haven't heard him linked to a big club in a long while. As you say, he's really really fast. He may still come good - Walker was the same at his age, and Walker has obviously improved quite a lot since then.
  • BLUESBOY345
    1422 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sellish wrote: »

Monreal. Followed probably by Ramsey and the pathetic thing is I’d put Aubameyang/Lacazette at third. That’s how woeful we’ve been this season. Can’t think of anyone else who’s been good
  • Orikoru

Monreal. Followed probably by Ramsey and the pathetic thing is I’d put Aubameyang/Lacazette at third. That’s how woeful we’ve been this season. Can’t think of anyone else who’s been good

Actually, when I read that as a non-Arsenal fan I also thought Monreal. He seems to have performed above expectations anyway. But maybe he's just given that impression by scoring a few more goals.
  • BLUESBOY345
    1422 posts Play-Off Hero
    Orikoru wrote: »

Actually, when I read that as a non-Arsenal fan I also thought Monreal. He seems to have performed above expectations anyway. But maybe he's just given that impression by scoring a few more goals.

That’s why monreal takes it. Cause of the goals. Can’t say any defender has been great they’ve all been atrocious. Same applies everywhere else
  • arsenalap
    edited May 2018
    Cool, you've also spend 3x as much as us in that time too
  • Gervonta
    3819 posts National Call-Up
    Retro_G wrote: »

At a cost of going against the traditions of the club and playing boring negative football.

• IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional

And those minor trophies only cost half a billion

Well done.
  • G000ner
    Playing very well today, good energy. Lacazette has been absolutely brilliant once again and I do like Mavropanos, though he hasn't really been tested yet- today in particular. Nice little ball from Bellerin as well.

What's happened to Iwobi's passing though, the man looks devoid of all confidence. Clearly has the ability, but hasn't been performing as he should for a while now
  • Retro_G
    29089 posts Player of the Year
    edited May 2018

And those minor trophies only cost half a billion

Well done.

How much have you spent in the last 11 years? You only have one trophy to show for in that time period. :joy:
    Post edited by Retro_G on
  • arsenalap
    This game should have been on TV. Silly really
  • G000ner

I just assumed it would be. scrolled through sky and realised it wasn't. great game anyway
  • arsenalap
    Great game to be at, gutted I wasn't.

Merci Arsene.
  • Fromage Fou
    62 posts Park Captain

Don't Sky (and BT) select bulks of fixtures to show around two or three times a season? I'm assuming the last arrangements would have been before Wenger announced he was leaving, and the games they showed made more sense. It's not like this would have been viewed as an important fixture a few months ago.
  • arsenalap
    I mean, there was always a 50/50 chance this would be Wengers last home game. It was this season or next really so they should have gone for it or had it on another day or something.

But yh I don't fully know how the packages work tbh
  • G000ner
    referee has sabotaged my fantasy league. what a surprise
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Broke a new record.

Opta: "Arsenal have lost seven consecutive top-flight away matches for the first time since January 1966. Wilting."

• IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited May 2018
    That Mustafi defending for the third was just :D :D :D
  • Orikoru
    This is absolutely superb - just posting in case you haven't seen it:
    http://www.football365.com/news/ozil-agent-destroys-arsenal-reserve-keown-in-849-word-rant

I bloody hate Keown, he's an absolute cretin, and every word of this rant is true. :D
  • Ahmer50x
    18124 posts World Class
    Looks like it’s Arteta.

I think that may backfire since so many of your squad know him as a teammate and friend.

Viera probably made more sense as an ex-player. More success as a player, more experience as a a manager, more distance from the current squad.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Looks like it’s Arteta.

I think that may backfire since so many of your squad know him as a teammate and friend.

Viera probably made more sense as an ex-player. More success as a player, more experience as a a manager, more distance from the current squad.

Agreed.

Really feel they needed someone like Ancelotti to steady the ship for a few years first though.