Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• G000ner
    4227 posts National Call-Up
    No_NaMe wrote: »
    Koscielny was immense all game, bar that one mistake. So unfortunate and absolutely gutted for him.

Also, just shows what having a good keeper can do.

Funnily enough the two saves he made from the Ramsey and Laca headers were the sort of things Ospina probably would've dealt with. I just don't trust him to do the simple things correctly. Cech's the opposite- can do the simple things and provides leadership, experience etc, but rarely makes saves you wouldn't expect him to make. I would love someone like Oblak
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited April 2018
    How on earth did you manage to bottle that one? :| That match was like a gift handed from heaven itself and you still messed it up.

Good luck against a full team at home with the record they have in the Liga

• IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    No_NaMe wrote: »
    Koscielny was immense all game, bar that one mistake. So unfortunate and absolutely gutted for him.

Also, just shows what having a good keeper can do.

He does it all the time against big sides.

You need a whole new defense.
  • G000ner
    This team :D. If we lose its because we're playing our youth team, if we win it will go down as one of the most embarrassing United defeats in history. Excellent team selection.

Looking forward to seeing Mavropanos and Nelson play against a good team, will be interesting to see how they do
  • Rajivvv86
    1500 posts Play-Off Hero
    Why does Cech not start?
  • G000ner
    Rajivvv86 wrote: »
    Why does Cech not start?

preparation for Europa league. get Ospina more minutes
  • FRSM00
    5830 posts Big Money Move
    Wenger trying to outdo the 8-2 with this line up.
  • G000ner
    Aubameyang has been poor tbh. rest of the team has been ok, but we're not playing fast enough. Mkhi the only player who seems to be playing with the right intensity
  • arsenalap
    5184 posts Big Money Move
    Bellerins playing well, and Mkhi ye.

Don't remember Iwobi playing, and Xhaka has been awful.

But.. we have no subs especially CM so..

Maybe holding on and Chambers to midfield.
  • G000ner
    2 incredibly lucky goals from United. We shouldn't have stopped going for the win after we got the equaliser.

United fans singing Arsene Wenger we want to you to stay are incredibly embarrassing. Just about scraping a win against this side :D
  • Kman
    2927 posts Fans' Favourite
    G000ner wrote: »
    2 incredibly lucky goals from United. We shouldn't have stopped going for the win after we got the equaliser.

United fans singing Arsene Wenger we want to you to stay are incredibly embarrassing. Just about scraping a win against this side :D

2 crosses and headers...how is that lucky?
  • G000ner
    edited April 2018
    Kman wrote: »

2 crosses and headers...how is that lucky?

The first wasn't a header, did you forget that Sanchez's shot (with his foot) deflected off Bellerin's leg, onto the post, before falling straight into the path of Pogba. The second was a header off the back of Fellaini's head, which deflected off our defender'a head and looped over Ospina :D
  • Tornado31619
    17041 posts World Class
    **** performance TBF
  • G000ner
    edited April 2018
    thought Mavropanos was very solid today, though. Far better than Chambers, in fact. Even Ozil is more likely to win a 50/50 than Callum Chambers
  • arsenalap
    **** performance TBF

Seriously.. given the team was good
  • SDoofus
    5120 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2018

Thoughts?

You'd virtually become a similar team to us, imo. Over time. Definitely a project.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    I think Arsenal fans are probably sick of "projects" at this point They'll want someone experienced with quick success like Ancelotti.
  • G000ner
    I don't think Ancelotti necessarily guarantees success, but I'm not keen on hiring someone with no/limited managerial experience, or managers who are yet to manage a top club. We'd run the risk of deterioting further.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    It's now on the BBC that he is a contender.

I look forward to all the potential Tommy Wiseau memes
    I don't think Ancelotti necessarily guarantees success, but I'm not keen on hiring someone with no/limited managerial experience, or managers who are yet to manage a top club. We'd run the risk of deterioting further.

It would be a crazy risk to be honest.

I dont think Arsenal can afford to spend many years outside of the Champions League like Liverpool did.
  • arsenalap
    Same team as last time.

Was half hoping that Mhky would play, but Welbeck and Wilshere did well in the last game so fair enough. Good player to bring on I guess.

Worried that Costa and Griezmann together will be too much. We'll definently concede, it's just if we can score or not..
  • G000ner
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Same team as last time.

Was half hoping that Mhky would play, but Welbeck and Wilshere did well in the last game so fair enough. Good player to bring on I guess.

Worried that Costa and Griezmann together will be too much. We'll definently concede, it's just if we can score or not..

Agreed. Our best hope is probably a 2-2 or something like that, but Atletico will obviously be difficult to break down. We really can't afford any defensive errors tonight

• arsenalap
    Can see us losing 2-1 tbh.
  • Ashy
    9750 posts League Winner
    We need the first goal to get them to attack us more then counter with the second, ain’t going to happen though
  • arsenalap
    Kosc career done I think :(
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    14436 posts World Class
    Arsenal missed far too many chances in the 1st leg and let them score a silly goal, atleti will sit back and soak up the pressure it's what they do best.
  • WestardLord
    1506 posts Play-Off Hero
    Even I think AM deserves to win at this point.

Just comedic defending and stupid mistakes.
  • arsenalap
    Gutted.

Ozil needs to be slapped, stropped off at the end not even applauding the fans when he was the worst player on the pitch
  • BLUESBOY345
    1429 posts Play-Off Hero
    Have no problems with AM going through they were defensivley superb over two legs and rightfully deserve their place

However does anyone agree with me that a team knocked out of the CL shouldn’t be allowed to drop into the EL? Just ruins the whole point of the competition for me
  • arsenalap
    Not really, that's how it has functioned for a while. Otherwise it really would be pretty easy to win for a big team.

We should have gone through, we were the better side just about, but we were missing PEA to finish chances and get his head on things. That's the rule i'm annoyed about, that he wasn't allowed to play.

But, AM did defend very well. All the frustrating complaints to the referee annoyed me a lot, but they did what they needed to.

It was a story of their defence and the front 2 really that did us. Saying that, when Godin leaves/retires, and if Oblak and Griezmann go this summer, they'll be struggling next year to mount any form of offense.
  • Ashy
    9750 posts League Winner
    Atletico are probably one of the best teams to be in the Europa League over the years and we didn't get embarrassed like we do in the UCL so no complains, we should have taken our chances though

I agree but UEFA will look at the money and they'll earn a lot more when teams like Napoli/Atletico/Dortmund are still in a European competition even after getting knocked out in the groups