OT: Male Cancer Awareness Week

arsenalap
11033 posts Has That Special Something
edited April 2017
I'm making it my point this week to spread as much awareness as possible!

Most people on this forum are prime age for testicular cancer, 18-35. Yet most people don't check themselves regularly. Please make sure to check yourself once a month. If you catch TC early then it is 99% curable, and in 75% of these cases it's by a simple operation!

I wrote a blog below about my experience if anyone fancies a read:

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/blogs/b/community_news/archive/2017/04/03/male-cancer-awareness-week-take-control-of-your-own-life
Post edited by arsenalap on

Comments

• Pikachu
    9274 posts League Winner
    Good post.
  • arsenalap
    Thanks man
  • McClean
    778 posts Semi-Pro
    Pikachu wrote: »
    Good post.

• Izzy2K17
    13475 posts Has That Special Something
    I thought you were most likely to get it once you were older, not 18-35 :o
  • DazF90
    1372 posts Professional
    Much respect for this, one of the most useful and meaningful threads I've seen on here!
  • Jake
    14424 posts Has That Special Something
    Pikachu wrote: »
    Good post.

• arsenalap
    edited April 2017
    Izzy2K17 wrote: »
    I thought you were most likely to get it once you were older, not 18-35 :o

I've seen people younger get it to be honest, and older in fairness. But most people are 18-35. When I was in hospital there were people in their early 20s getting treatment with me.

Nobody expects cancer at 20-30. You see a lot of news coverage for kids who unfortunately get cancer and people over 50 but not much for people in that age bracket which is why most people don't even think about it.
  • arsenalap
    DazF90 wrote: »
    Much respect for this, one of the most useful and meaningful threads I've seen on here!

Thanks man :)
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    Great thread.

Sticky this?
    @ORANGEeffect05 @OoSUPERDANoO @adamski @UM4R
  • ORANGEeffect05
    27427 posts Player of the Year
    Thanks for sharing m8, I'll sticky this to help spread awareness :+1:
  • arsenalap
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Great post.
    I remember I discovered a lump and was scared af. Turned out be nothing bad but wow can only imagine if it was. Cancer might just be my biggest fear. Runs in the family
  • therandomjack
    1389 posts Professional
    Good thread mate, I am probably one of the oldest posters on here at 49 B) and know of loads of people I grew up with who've had various forms of cancer, the word itself gives me a dark feeling. I've had a few sets of tests over the last few years for prostate cancer - including the traditional finger up the ring piece! Thankfully I was clear, and even had a smile on my face when I was told I had a small smooth prostate by my doctor. But that's not the end of it, statistically I am a cancer survivor, I was told 3 years ago that I had a cancerous growth on the skin on my chest, I had it removed and tests showed it was not a malignant melanoma but instead a type that is slow growing and nothing to be feared as I got it seen to early. Now I just have an 8 inch scar on my chest where they opened it up and dug a 3 inch deep hole and pulled it, nothing major at the end of the day. I lost my mum to cancer so I have experience of the really dark side as well.
    Sorry to waffle but my advice to the younger geezers on here is any doubts go and get it looked at and the earlier the better, odds on it's nothing to be worried about but get it looked at anyway
  • KOSTAFI
    1607 posts Play-Off Hero
    Quality thread. Cannot thank you enough for raising awareness !!!
  • Napoli9
    1964 posts Fans' Favourite
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Dang bro that sserious
  • Striker8881
    181 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Iv had testicular cancer and it's not something to mess with. Check yourselves least once a week. I know a lot of people are afraid of going to the doctors and showing them but it needs to be done.
    Mine had spread to my lymph nodes in my back and was 5-6 and 6-7 cm in size and we're pushing on my spine. Which explained my severe back pain.

I was 24 when I was diagnosed. I'm 26 now and a year and a bit in remission.
  • arsenalap
    Iv had testicular cancer and it's not something to mess with. Check yourselves least once a week. I know a lot of people are afraid of going to the doctors and showing them but it needs to be done.
    Mine had spread to my lymph nodes in my back and was 5-6 and 6-7 cm in size and we're pushing on my spine. Which explained my severe back pain.

Glad to hear you're in remission mate, long may it continue! Strangely I wasn't actually scared of going to the doctor which I got diagnosed, nothing they haven't seen before plenty of times.
  • Striker8881
    arsenalap wrote: »

Glad to hear you're in remission mate, long may it continue! Strangely I wasn't actually scared of going to the doctor which I got diagnosed, nothing they haven't seen before plenty of times.

Thanks mate

Neither was I. But more the people iv spoken too. Especially the younger guys. They feel weird about getting their pants off for the doctor. So if a couple people I know feel like that. I can only imagine a lot more do
  • arsenalap

Thanks mate

Neither was I. But more the people iv spoken too. Especially the younger guys. They feel weird about getting their pants off for the doctor. So if a couple people I know feel like that. I can only imagine a lot more do

Oh yh definently happens, i've read it on other forums
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

Thanks mate

Can confirm. Was pretty awkward.
    Was it very noticeable that something was wrong? (Weird question I know :D )
  • Striker8881
    edited April 2017
    Santiago wrote: »

Thanks mate

Haha basically let's say your testi is an egg shape roughly. Well mine was like a heart shape sort of. And just seemed swollen. But before that I had pain which I was told was a cyst. Obviously wasn't

Basically anything out of the ordinary. Get checked
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

Thanks mate

Haha basically let's say your testi is an egg shape roughly. Well mine was like a heart shape sort of. And just seemed swollen. But before that I had pain which I was told was a cyst. Obviously wasn't

Basically anything out of the ordinary. Get checked

Ah makes sense. Cheers for the info.
    Mine was a cyst. About 2.5 years ago now so I think it really was
  • Antparry92
    20449 posts Club Captain
    Had a scare at Christmas but was thankfully just a decent sized cyst
  • arsenalap

Thanks mate

I had a stomach ache and a week later an enlarged testicle so I went to get it checked out.
  • MaddMike3711
    12945 posts Has That Special Something
    Great thread man!
    On more somber note though I have a close family friend who is battling throat cancer and has tumors on his brain. It's been pretty hard on everyone as he's a really good guy and one of my dads closest friends. It was in remission and then he just got a bad update that it's coming back about two weeks ago. :cry:
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️ cancer.
  • WWEFAN24_TRIPLEH
    14322 posts Has That Special Something
    DazF90 wrote: »

• Hobojoe28
    19 posts Ball Boy
    edited April 2017
    Great thread man!
    On more somber note though I have a close family friend who is battling throat cancer and has tumors on his brain. It's been pretty hard on everyone as he's a really good guy and one of my dads closest friends. It was in remission and then he just got a bad update that it's coming back about two weeks ago. :cry:
    **** cancer.
    Most definitely ❤️❤️❤️❤️ cancer. Prayers for a speedy recovery and some better news
  • BuffonJuve93
    1175 posts Professional
    I'm glad to see that these positive posts!! Thanks for sharing! The only balls we should be kicking are the ones that are on the pitch, aiming towards goal ;)
  • MaddMike3711
    12945 posts Has That Special Something
    Hobojoe28 wrote: »
    Great thread man!
    **** cancer.
    Most definitely **** cancer. Prayers for a speedy recovery and some better news
    Thanks buddy! I guess he's waiting to hear back from the doctor still to see if he will need surgery. Your support is much appreciated though.
  • KeepItUp
    1295 posts Professional
    I 'm 23 and never checked my self , didn't know it's " prime age " for testicular cancer :(