Crossing is awful

Andy87
3969 posts National Call-Up
Anyone else find the crossing in this game terrible compared to something like PES. I'm no PES fan but at least you can whip a decent cross in from the wing without it going out for a goal kick 9 times out of 10. Every cross also seems to be cleared by a defender as well. Surely this should be a priority to fix for FIFA 18 and it will make target men type players more usable?

Comments

• Nobber93
    2062 posts Fans' Favourite
    Best thing to do is watch if your attscker has a run on the defender there's a better chance to win the header also failing that RB A or triple tap
  • RadioShaq
    19841 posts Moderator
    I think thats one of the biggest complaints in pes this year is that traore wins every header.
  • Fifabing
    498 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Yup, PES is superior when it comes to crosses or long balls. Have you ever tried to do a long ball thru ball to someone? It's a joke. You get a guy making ar un, play a thru ball thru the air, and the ball nearly always lands in a spot that requires the player you're passing to to stop and kill all momentum. FIFA has not figured out how to do proper thru balls and have it so the player runs on to the ball rather than making your player stop and control it.

PES is on another level when it comes to crosses. Whiping it in is vital and fifa sucks at it.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Crossing is rubbish yeah. I only do it as an absolute last resort if I'm completely out of ideas. Usually they go straight to the keeper no matter what.

Well, the exception is from corners, I pass them short and then cross it, and this is the only time you seem to get a decent cross like 30% of time. Probably because there are just way more targets in the box than you would have in open play.
  • Andy87
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    I think thats one of the biggest complaints in pes this year is that traore wins every header.

Biggest complaint in FIFA every year is that only pace matters. It would be good to have a bit of balance and more than one way to play.
  • Colin32
    1320 posts Professional
    Yeah agree on this. But I don't really mind. I never used crosses tbh. I only considered goals by crosses, never scored any. I really hated that because sometimes you just can't defend it and it is more some luck you need to score a goal with it imo. So I'm happy with the fact crosses are rubbish.
  • Andy87
    edited March 2017
    Fifabing wrote: »
    Yup, PES is superior when it comes to crosses or long balls. Have you ever tried to do a long ball thru ball to someone? It's a joke. You get a guy making ar un, play a thru ball thru the air, and the ball nearly always lands in a spot that requires the player you're passing to to stop and kill all momentum. FIFA has not figured out how to do proper thru balls and have it so the player runs on to the ball rather than making your player stop and control it.

PES is on another level when it comes to crosses. Whiping it in is vital and fifa sucks at it.

Yeah through balls are pretty bad as well. I've also lost count of how many times I've got a player through 1 on 1 press through ball and it goes to completely the wrong player.
  • BrettO
    302 posts Sunday League Hero
    absolute minimum pressure on button
  • AkeySlake
    1465 posts Play-Off Hero
    Every cross for me is the same.
    It can be absolutely inch perfect with just the right amount of pace and my striker decides to just.....slow down. Pointless feature.
  • AdrianV
    967 posts Semi-Pro
    That's a good thing. Hated the cross abusers in previous FIFA's.
  • AkeySlake
    1465 posts Play-Off Hero
    AdrianV wrote: »
    That's a good thing. Hated the cross abusers in previous FIFA's.

But it makes crossing practically redundant, which is a load of rubbish seeing as crossing is a fundamental part of football.
  • they cant seem to get crossing right.

i remember fifa 15 when crossing was well OP
  • ASH32
    1791 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yep crosses are junk. All EA needed to do to balance crosses was to stop ❤️❤️❤️❤️ outjumping 6 foot+ defenders but of course that can still happen if you put enough balls in until one goes where you want it too. Which is also what you now have to do if you have a big man or two so most don't bother crossing at all. The advantage a good big guy like Ibra has over any other player is very small when compared to any random striker because most crosses are rubbish.
  • Sodan70
    1330 posts Professional
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Crossing is rubbish yeah. I only do it as an absolute last resort if I'm completely out of ideas. Usually they go straight to the keeper no matter what.

Well, the exception is from corners, I pass them short and then cross it, and this is the only time you seem to get a decent cross like 30% of time. Probably because there are just way more targets in the box than you would have in open play.

Yep, I score a lot of goals doing corners like that

Crossing isn't redundant - SBC Kane or Cavani 90 score many of my goals from crossing. Get a good crosser like Mkhitaryan (put architect on him) - Kane in the box - and BOOM!
  • you gotta cross early or it's meaningless basically , unless it's a cut back type of cross from the line
  • nitraw
    2079 posts Fans' Favourite
    its ok this year. im def still learning about it but i do score a decent amount from them. usually near post double tap ones. occasionally the single tap ones too sometimes i'll cut in a little and then cross
  • Dazza3113
    3224 posts National Call-Up
    they cant seem to get crossing right.

i remember fifa 15 when crossing was well OP

Fifa 14 was crossgate fifa 15 was the year of the coin sellers
  • Dazza3113
    3224 posts National Call-Up
    I find any cross i attempt goes to at midfielder outside the box, it's infuriating
  • Clancy
    8484 posts League Winner
    crossing is not awful! Its just very different to past years, not so much of a send and hope thing this year its very responsive to timing and aim. I score at least half of my goals from crosses, but my team is set up to exploit the fact that most people play very narrow and have defenders aimed to stop short fast guys not tall header types

double tap and triple tap crosses are the most frequently effective, especially on the break a short double tap cross to near post works all the time. even if my striker is marked by a CB they usually mistime the jump and the GK misses the save.

the single cross is more easily defended against, but when its appropriate almost always goes in. I send the single cross to far post if someone has pulled their CB to try to block the cross coming in, this will sometimes leave a player open on the far post and if its a mismatch (striker against fullback for example) you're %90 to score a goal

my squad:ndYxov9.png
  • Aspral
    3797 posts National Call-Up
    The crossing is fine. People are using the pace players like Sterling to cross and they have bad crossing stats.

Also to put a good cross in I find you have to really slow down almost to a stop for it to be effective.
  • Sodan70
    1330 posts Professional
    Aspral wrote: »
    The crossing is fine. People are using the pace players like Sterling to cross and they have bad crossing stats.

Also to put a good cross in I find you have to really slow down almost to a stop for it to be effective.

Exactly.
  • A5B
    3723 posts National Call-Up
    Nah, it's great if you time it right. I do the L1 cross to the back post when I see a free runner. Either that or the low driven cross. Both work pretty well. But as someone above said, I'll only use it as a last resort.
  • bigpokey24
    5762 posts Big Money Move
    Clancy wrote: »
    crossing is not awful! Its just very different to past years, not so much of a send and hope thing this year its very responsive to timing and aim. I score at least half of my goals from crosses, but my team is set up to exploit the fact that most people play very narrow and have defenders aimed to stop short fast guys not tall header types

double tap and triple tap crosses are the most frequently effective, especially on the break a short double tap cross to near post works all the time. even if my striker is marked by a CB they usually mistime the jump and the GK misses the save.

the single cross is more easily defended against, but when its appropriate almost always goes in. I send the single cross to far post if someone has pulled their CB to try to block the cross coming in, this will sometimes leave a player open on the far post and if its a mismatch (striker against fullback for example) you're %90 to score a goal

this team, too many in forms
  • Clancy
    8484 posts League Winner
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    Clancy wrote: »

this team, too many in forms

no such thing B)
  • Andy87
    I do have some success with the triple tap cross but I have no success with the normal cross to a tall striker because there's never any pace on the ball and it just floats to a defenders head.
  • Fifabing
    498 posts An Exciting Prospect
    triple cross low cross is really all that works. It's pretty deadly too when you get into the box and drill it across the ground. Someone there usually to tap it in.