Bandwidth questions

Silky_Seward
442 posts Sunday League Hero
If my house hold is streaming on wifi and using up way too much bandwidth. Will this effect my game play?

The reason I ask is that the firestick was streaming on the TV and one person was watching youtube as well as FB and other phone stuff. This was all on wifi. I am connected on Ethernet. Will this kill my gaming?

Last nights results in FUT seasons 0-1-5 and one weird disconnect after I won causing the game not to register.

I can normally hold my own (No one else will hold it). I cant get above div 6 and every game is a struggle. I get beaten by no chem teams easily. In fact everyone seems to beat me. There are periods where games are won hence div 6. Maybe when traffic is low.

Is there anything that I can do or change on my router please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Nimmer
    444 posts Sunday League Hero
    If my house hold is streaming on wifi and using up way too much bandwidth. Will this effect my game play?

The reason I ask is that the firestick was streaming on the TV and one person was watching youtube as well as FB and other phone stuff. This was all on wifi. I am connected on Ethernet. Will this kill my gaming?

Last nights results in FUT seasons 0-1-5 and one weird disconnect after I won causing the game not to register.

I can normally hold my own (No one else will hold it). I cant get above div 6 and every game is a struggle. I get beaten by no chem teams easily. In fact everyone seems to beat me. There are periods where games are won hence div 6. Maybe when traffic is low.

Is there anything that I can do or change on my router please.

Thanks.

Think of your connection as a road (highway) with a set number of lanes. All internet traffic leaving and going into your home must use this road. It doesn't matter if people are using wifi or ethernet, all the traffic has to go via this road.

Other people in your house using the internet will impact your speeds. General browsing won't have a noticeable difference, but streaming or downloading large files will have a bigger impact.

You can of course spend money on a "gaming" router which gives you the control to limit bandwidth to certain devices whilst you are gaming.

I have the Netduma R1 router which enables me to do this. However, the EA servers / matching making are so bad I still get input delay in many games.
  • Silky_Seward
    442 posts Sunday League Hero
    @bjornheisenberg & @Nimmer

Thank you I will look into these options.