OT: Scottish Independence

Comments

  • Cphee1987
    6181 posts Big Money Move
    Jake wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Surely that's there fault then?

    Not really. As you said in an above post your not from Scotland so don't know what's going on up here. The whole no campaign was based on if you stay part of the UK we will be better together and stay part of the EU. Which is the main factor that alot of Scots voted to keep the union. Which then the goalposts were moved, A brexit referendum was started (which I'm fairness even the tories expected to not pass) and scotland are now being removed from the EU even though the full country country voted to remain. So now alot of the No voters feel like they were conned and would have voted yes.
  • Sam
    108 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Key word there pal, possibility.

    Exactly a possibility, most of Scotland voted to remain in the EU.
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Serious point - Why would the E.U even want Scotland?

    Pretty sure when the Brexit referendum was in full swing Sturgeon sat and spoke with a few top E.U officials who said they would not be willing to accept Scotland into the E.U unless part of a United Kingdom.

    The argument above about Ireland isn't relevant for two reasons:

    1. The damage to the Irish economy has been far more severe than the UK over the past decade....largely due to the impact on the Euro.

    2. Ireland's economy, in comparison to the UK and other EU powerhouses, is tiny. You wouldn't put £500,000 into a 2% interest account (Bank a) instead of a 5% interest account (Bank b), just because the year before Bank a was only offering a 1% interest rate and therefore has a higher rate of growth.

    Final and most important point, regarding Scotland not having a Tory mp representing them....Your 'intelligent and wise' population decided to put into power the SNP due to their promise of a national referendum....the election was a complete landslide.....and then, you decided to vote against everything they represented and said no :D

    Seriously, if you know so little about something avoid debating it.

    Firstly, re Scotland joining the EU, of course the bloody EU would say that. They wanted to avoid brexit duh. This was during the campaign. Switch your fecking brain on.

    Ireland's economy is almost exactly the same as Scotland, with a smaller population. If you include oil, Scotland is about 10% higher. The difference the oil makes is modest,but it's all everyone talks about. The growth in the Irish economy over the past ten years massively outperforms the uk. Of course the crash was bad but absolutely nothing to do with the euro. No idea where you get that **** from. It originated in the US ffs.

    What actually is important that the Irish people can vote for the government they want and hold them accountable. But like the original referendum, everyone gets stuck on the same moronic **** you just trotted out. Cos you know, actually learning the accurate facts Is a bit of a bore


    Iffy - You have no clue what da hell you are talking about.. I'm not Scottish but you are a typical English kid who read about the Brexit and Scottish independence in the Daily Sport FS..

    Iffy - Your a fool

    Irony here?

    You're not Scottish....and judging by your grammar and spelling, you're not from any part of Britain.

    I didn't need to read about Brexit from any forms of media....i'm capable of making my own decisions based off my own beliefs, which is why I voted to leave the European Union.

    The problem individuals like yourself have is that...

    1. You're commenting on something you clearly know nothing about, as all my posts have been relevant and actually haven't been for or against the Scots holding another referendum.
    2. You don't actually contribute to a 'discussion', labelling someone a 'fool' isn't what someone with a respectable opinion would do.
    3. You're blinded by your hatred for me, that you clearly cannot form a rational argument yourself.


    I actually have no hatred for you at all.

    I am writing on a forum so my grammar suits the context I am writing too. It's funny the last resort people attack so peoples grammar or spelling mistakes..

    Please research before spouting pure crap which you clearly no nothing about other than 'your beliefs'

    Please enlighten us why you voted to leave the EU?

    Why did i vote to leave the E.U.?

    Because it was the right decision for me.....

    I didn't attack your grammar, i was using it to explain how someone who clearly doesn't have English as their first language, can even offer an opinion on this subject.

    Lets move on from the grammar aspect, shall we?

    I am very interested in your beliefs about leaving the EU and please explain why it was the right decision for you. What was the most compelling argument why you voted leave?



    I voted leave so that the U.K could gain its 'independance'.

    That is what is so strange about the Scotland debacle. They claim they want independance....but they're looking to jump straight back into bed with the E.U.

    Its spelt - independence

    Irony - a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other’s false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony

    And I'm Done.. thank you and good night

    Long runs the fox kiddo

    I love it!!!

    Knew it'd work!!

    Did you? hahahhahaha

    Stick to playing to Fifa and leave the big boy conversations to people who actually know what they are talking about



    Are you British?
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Wouldnt have done if Scotland had turned out to vote in the same numbers as their independence referendum.

  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    Jake wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Surely that's there fault then?

    Not really. As you said in an above post your not from Scotland so don't know what's going on up here. The whole no campaign was based on if you stay part of the UK we will be better together and stay part of the EU. Which is the main factor that alot of Scots voted to keep the union. Which then the goalposts were moved, A brexit referendum was started (which I'm fairness even the tories expected to not pass) and scotland are now being removed from the EU even though the full country country voted to remain. So now alot of the No voters feel like they were conned and would have voted yes.

    See, you're getting things all mixed up.

    The brexit referendum was being put in place before the independence referendum.

    Can you please explain to me how being part of the E.U is more democratic for Scotland than being in Westminister? There isn't a single person on the planet who could legitimately argue for that one.
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Peter wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Wouldnt have done if Scotland had turned out to vote in the same numbers as their independence referendum.

    Hope you get a telling off for this one aswell.

    Accusing the Scots of 'not knowing all about the vote' is 'insulting Scottish people' apparently.

    :D
  • Matt_Cornwall
    2980 posts National Call-Up
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    Jake wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Surely that's there fault then?

    Not really. As you said in an above post your not from Scotland so don't know what's going on up here. The whole no campaign was based on if you stay part of the UK we will be better together and stay part of the EU. Which is the main factor that alot of Scots voted to keep the union. Which then the goalposts were moved, A brexit referendum was started (which I'm fairness even the tories expected to not pass) and scotland are now being removed from the EU even though the full country country voted to remain. So now alot of the No voters feel like they were conned and would have voted yes.

    Out of curiosity (as I'm not well versed in the facts) would Scotland be able to maintain it's current spending without increasing taxes? It's most likely down to media manipulation but all you ever hear about in England is that Scotland gets a good deal at the minute with free uni and free prescriptions.

    Not sure if it's true or just more lies getting spoon fed to people.
  • Jwalls5096
    1064 posts Professional
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4040 posts National Call-Up
    scots know the answer to this far better than me or anyone outside but it appears sturgeon is commiting political suicide by chasing another referendum...
    its not just a English view that the e.u is totally out of control and treat everyone like we know whats best for you

    people everywhere are sticking there fingers up to so called nanny states and Brussels is the biggest of the lot
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17253 posts World Class
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Serious point - Why would the E.U even want Scotland?

    Pretty sure when the Brexit referendum was in full swing Sturgeon sat and spoke with a few top E.U officials who said they would not be willing to accept Scotland into the E.U unless part of a United Kingdom.

    The argument above about Ireland isn't relevant for two reasons:

    1. The damage to the Irish economy has been far more severe than the UK over the past decade....largely due to the impact on the Euro.

    2. Ireland's economy, in comparison to the UK and other EU powerhouses, is tiny. You wouldn't put £500,000 into a 2% interest account (Bank a) instead of a 5% interest account (Bank b), just because the year before Bank a was only offering a 1% interest rate and therefore has a higher rate of growth.

    Final and most important point, regarding Scotland not having a Tory mp representing them....Your 'intelligent and wise' population decided to put into power the SNP due to their promise of a national referendum....the election was a complete landslide.....and then, you decided to vote against everything they represented and said no :D

    Seriously, if you know so little about something avoid debating it.

    Firstly, re Scotland joining the EU, of course the bloody EU would say that. They wanted to avoid brexit duh. This was during the campaign. Switch your fecking brain on.

    Ireland's economy is almost exactly the same as Scotland, with a smaller population. If you include oil, Scotland is about 10% higher. The difference the oil makes is modest,but it's all everyone talks about. The growth in the Irish economy over the past ten years massively outperforms the uk. Of course the crash was bad but absolutely nothing to do with the euro. No idea where you get that **** from. It originated in the US ffs.

    What actually is important that the Irish people can vote for the government they want and hold them accountable. But like the original referendum, everyone gets stuck on the same moronic **** you just trotted out. Cos you know, actually learning the accurate facts Is a bit of a bore

    woah fella....

    Firstly, of course the E.U wanted to avoid Brexit.....because they're well aware that the U.K leaving the E.U is huge, as they have will have zero control over what we do. The E.U really couldn't care less about having control in Scotland, as you have said yourself, all power lies in Westminister.

    Secondly, how on earth was the 'Eurozone' crisis, in which the U.k had to help bail out Greece, 'in the U.S'....Jesus man.

    Finally, I'm aware of the facts.....

    I'm guessing you're a Scot yourself, and it's quite ironic yourself using the term 'moronic' there.

    Your fellow countrymen voted the SNP in to obtain a referendum vote....you then decided to vote against your initial vote by remaining in the UK....and now you want another one.


    TL:DR

    You voted to obtain the right to vote....you then used this vote to vote against your initial vote....and now you want the same vote again.

    Jesus :D :D :D

    (Before you come back with the 'things have changed' argument, make sure you read the bold bit carefully).

    The so called euro zone crisis has had zero effect on Ireland. Once again, read the actual figures.

    Also you're extremely confused about the snp election and the independence referendum.

    Whether or not there was a referendum was decided by David Cameron not by Scotland voting for the snp. It was decided 3 years before the bloody election when Scotland voted in the snp. The no vote was 2014 and the snp election was 2015. You're too **** stupid to actually do a basic fact check before you churn out this drivel

    Nope, you're wrong.

    The tory manifesto included a promise, should they be elected, that a referendum regarding Britain remaining in the EU, would be help.

    As for the Eurozone having zero effect on Ireland. How can a crash, which effected the Euro, not effect one of the countries which use it as their currency? Mental!

    The SNP manifesto included having another referendum should there be a significant change in circumstance (e.g. Being dragged out of the EU)

  • Cphee1987
    6181 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 2017
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    Jake wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Surely that's there fault then?

    Not really. As you said in an above post your not from Scotland so don't know what's going on up here. The whole no campaign was based on if you stay part of the UK we will be better together and stay part of the EU. Which is the main factor that alot of Scots voted to keep the union. Which then the goalposts were moved, A brexit referendum was started (which I'm fairness even the tories expected to not pass) and scotland are now being removed from the EU even though the full country country voted to remain. So now alot of the No voters feel like they were conned and would have voted yes.

    See, you're getting things all mixed up.

    The brexit referendum was being put in place before the independence referendum.

    Can you please explain to me how being part of the E.U is more democratic for Scotland than being in Westminister? There isn't a single person on the planet who could legitimately argue for that one.

    There was no set brexit referendum back when we voted for independence that was all passed afterwards. As someone who lives in Scotland in more than fully aware of the campaigns that were run. They were shoved in our faces for years. And the No campaigns main thing was we would stay part of the EU where as if the country become independent that wasn't guaranteed.

    And you obviously think that being English. The EU set guidlines and overall laws etc but we could still run our own country and dictate what our money is put towards. You do realise that Westminster makes majority of decisions for us. Why would any country want to had all of their major decisions and finances over to another country. Pretty sure if England's laws and finances were dictated by Scotland you you would want control of your own country. In the EU everyone has a vote at the table. In Westminster the Scottish seats are massively outnumbered by the English seats. So even if every Scottish polictian votes against something the bill can still pass. That's not democracy
  • Sercs
    18684 posts World Class
    skim read most of this, most of is Iffy starting a debate thread but not willing to debate or understand arguments.. moreso just tell people his opinion and why its right :joy:

    anyway on topic..

    I can see both sides.

    Scotland voted to remain, they shouldn't get another vote
    Scotland heavily voted to remain in the EU, but the rest of the UK means they are going out with them.

    Should they get another vote? I think it will probably happen.. but May will keep blocking it until Brexit happens as then Scots can actually understand what it means for the country.

    Nobody knows if its going to be good or bad in the long run leaving the EU, but certainly so far it hasn't been as bad as people thought it would be.

    I'm from England, and was remain. But a vote is a vote so happy that democracy is taking place as it should, and happy to go ahead with it.
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    Jake wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Surely that's there fault then?

    Not really. As you said in an above post your not from Scotland so don't know what's going on up here. The whole no campaign was based on if you stay part of the UK we will be better together and stay part of the EU. Which is the main factor that alot of Scots voted to keep the union. Which then the goalposts were moved, A brexit referendum was started (which I'm fairness even the tories expected to not pass) and scotland are now being removed from the EU even though the full country country voted to remain. So now alot of the No voters feel like they were conned and would have voted yes.

    Out of curiosity (as I'm not well versed in the facts) would Scotland be able to maintain it's current spending without increasing taxes? It's most likely down to media manipulation but all you ever hear about in England is that Scotland gets a good deal at the minute with free uni and free prescriptions.

    Not sure if it's true or just more lies getting spoon fed to people.
    They would need to increase taxes by 21%.
  • Everton1878
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    Personally I don't care if they leave or not. The UK might even end up financially better off for it.

    However, they had their vote, they voted no. Unless the polls suggest there's a shift in opinion, which if anything, they suggest opinion has moved more 'no', they shouldn't have another referendum. Waste of time and money.
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Jwalls5096 wrote: »
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....

    I could name a few reasons...and like I said before, leaving the U.K for 'independence' is a valid reason.

    But it's a fraud.

    How can it be considered 'independent', to leave a democratic system where you have a voice (albeit a small one) and join one where every single decision you make can be opposed by a simple 'veto' from another European nation?
  • Bluebirds87
    691 posts An Exciting Prospect
    For those who said hopefully Wales will vote too!

    No thanks we will stay! Quite happy being part of the UK and even more happy to be leaving the EU!


  • Sam
    108 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Jwalls5096 wrote: »
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....

    They don't want to be governed by the Tories
  • SomeMightSay
    272 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited March 2017
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.

    Lets give this one more go to help you to understand, shall we?

    Scotland were told if they went independent they would have to 'register' to join the EU again which takes quite a long time and they were not guaranteed to get in. So when voting for Independence the remain campaign used this as there biggest bargaining tool for people to remain in the UK. Scotland do very well being in the EU for various reasons (go and research for yourself)
    So now the UK as a whole is leaving the EU and the majority of people in Scotland voted to stay in the EU they have a very valid reason to leave the UK as they want to go in a completely different direction to the UK

    That's as simple as I can put it for you
  • Cphee1987
    6181 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 2017

    Exactly this. So they voted no and still got the EU citizenship removed.
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    Sam wrote: »
    Jwalls5096 wrote: »
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....

    They don't want to be governed by the Tories
    That's not a negative
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    Jake wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Surely that's there fault then?

    Not really. As you said in an above post your not from Scotland so don't know what's going on up here. The whole no campaign was based on if you stay part of the UK we will be better together and stay part of the EU. Which is the main factor that alot of Scots voted to keep the union. Which then the goalposts were moved, A brexit referendum was started (which I'm fairness even the tories expected to not pass) and scotland are now being removed from the EU even though the full country country voted to remain. So now alot of the No voters feel like they were conned and would have voted yes.

    See, you're getting things all mixed up.

    The brexit referendum was being put in place before the independence referendum.

    Can you please explain to me how being part of the E.U is more democratic for Scotland than being in Westminister? There isn't a single person on the planet who could legitimately argue for that one.

    There was no set brexit referendum back when we voted for independence that was all passed afterwards. As someone who lives in Scotland in more than fully aware of the campaigns that were run. They were shoved in our faces for years. And the No campaigns main thing was we would stay part of the EU where as if the country become independent that wasn't guaranteed.

    And you obviously think that being English. The EU set guidlines and overall laws etc but we could still run our own country and dictate what our money is put towards. You do realise that Westminster makes majority of decisions for us. Why would any country want to had all of their major decisions and finances over to another country. Pretty sure if England's laws and finances were dictated by Scotland you you would want control of your own country. In the EU everyone has a vote at the table. In Westminster the Scottish seats are massively outnumbered by the English seats. So even if every Scottish polictian votes against something the bill can still pass. That's not democracy

    You're so so wrong....this is what I worry about if all of you guys up there think the same way.
  • Jwalls5096
    1064 posts Professional
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    Jake wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.
    People didn't think we'd leave the EU.

    Surely that's there fault then?

    Not really. As you said in an above post your not from Scotland so don't know what's going on up here. The whole no campaign was based on if you stay part of the UK we will be better together and stay part of the EU. Which is the main factor that alot of Scots voted to keep the union. Which then the goalposts were moved, A brexit referendum was started (which I'm fairness even the tories expected to not pass) and scotland are now being removed from the EU even though the full country country voted to remain. So now alot of the No voters feel like they were conned and would have voted yes.

    See, you're getting things all mixed up.

    The brexit referendum was being put in place before the independence referendum.

    Can you please explain to me how being part of the E.U is more democratic for Scotland than being in Westminister? There isn't a single person on the planet who could legitimately argue for that one.

    There was no set brexit referendum back when we voted for independence that was all passed afterwards. As someone who lives in Scotland in more than fully aware of the campaigns that were run. They were shoved in our faces for years. And the No campaigns main thing was we would stay part of the EU where as if the country become independent that wasn't guaranteed.

    And you obviously think that being English. The EU set guidlines and overall laws etc but we could still run our own country and dictate what our money is put towards. You do realise that Westminster makes majority of decisions for us. Why would any country want to had all of their major decisions and finances over to another country. Pretty sure if England's laws and finances were dictated by Scotland you you would want control of your own country. In the EU everyone has a vote at the table. In Westminster the Scottish seats are massively outnumbered by the English seats. So even if every Scottish polictian votes against something the bill can still pass. That's not democracy
    You are acting like the English treat the Scottish like they are from elsewhere in the commonwealth... the people of Scotland have every and all opportunities that an Englishman does.. all the same rights too...
  • Sam
    108 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited March 2017
    Sam wrote: »
    Jwalls5096 wrote: »
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....

    They don't want to be governed by the Tories
    That's not a negative

    Is it positive though?
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17253 posts World Class
    Sam wrote: »
    Jwalls5096 wrote: »
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....

    They don't want to be governed by the Tories
    That's not a negative

    It is.
  • Everton1878
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are against Scotland having another referendum, because a politician said "once in a lifetime" that's a good enough reason not to have one, despite one of the biggest changes ever to the UK since the vote.

    It's a bit like buying an apartment on a large complex, when viewing it, you'll have access to the on site gym, swimming pool & shops..... Come moving in day, you have no access to any of them.

    Not really :D


    The Scots were aware that Brexit was a possibility, but still voted to remain in the UK.

    Lets give this one more go to help you to understand, shall we?

    Scotland were told if they went independent they would have to 'register' to join the EU again which takes quite a long time and they were not guaranteed to get in. So when voting for Independence the remain campaign used this as there biggest bargaining tool for people to remain in the UK. Scotland do very well with Being in the EU for various reasons (go and research for yourself)
    So now the UK as a whole is leaving the EU and the majority of people in Scotland voting to stay in the EU they have a very valid reason to leave the UK as they want to go in a completely different direction to the UK

    That's as simple as I can put it for you

    Go look at polls analysis.

    Of the 39% of Scots who voted to leave the EU, most voted yes to independence. And according to polls they'd rather be in the UK and not the EU rather than the other way round.

    So the polls aren't shifting towards a yes vote. They're shifting away from it.
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    Sam wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    Jwalls5096 wrote: »
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....

    They don't want to be governed by the Tories
    That's not a negative

    Is it a positive though?

    Absolutely
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Sercs wrote: »
    skim read most of this, most of is Iffy starting a debate thread but not willing to debate or understand arguments.. moreso just tell people his opinion and why its right :joy:

    anyway on topic..

    I can see both sides.

    Scotland voted to remain, they shouldn't get another vote
    Scotland heavily voted to remain in the EU, but the rest of the UK means they are going out with them.

    Should they get another vote? I think it will probably happen.. but May will keep blocking it until Brexit happens as then Scots can actually understand what it means for the country.

    Nobody knows if its going to be good or bad in the long run leaving the EU, but certainly so far it hasn't been as bad as people thought it would be.

    I'm from England, and was remain. But a vote is a vote so happy that democracy is taking place as it should, and happy to go ahead with it.

    I'm the only guy in this thread who has backed his points up with evidence.

    So whatever man, another moron who just sees my name and forms an opinion straight away.
  • Sam
    108 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Sam wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    Jwalls5096 wrote: »
    So tell me how a scot personally would be negatively affected by remaining part of the U.K....

    They don't want to be governed by the Tories
    That's not a negative

    Is it a positive though?

    Absolutely

    That's your opinion but i disagree
  • SomeMightSay
    272 posts Sunday League Hero
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Serious point - Why would the E.U even want Scotland?

    Pretty sure when the Brexit referendum was in full swing Sturgeon sat and spoke with a few top E.U officials who said they would not be willing to accept Scotland into the E.U unless part of a United Kingdom.

    The argument above about Ireland isn't relevant for two reasons:

    1. The damage to the Irish economy has been far more severe than the UK over the past decade....largely due to the impact on the Euro.

    2. Ireland's economy, in comparison to the UK and other EU powerhouses, is tiny. You wouldn't put £500,000 into a 2% interest account (Bank a) instead of a 5% interest account (Bank b), just because the year before Bank a was only offering a 1% interest rate and therefore has a higher rate of growth.

    Final and most important point, regarding Scotland not having a Tory mp representing them....Your 'intelligent and wise' population decided to put into power the SNP due to their promise of a national referendum....the election was a complete landslide.....and then, you decided to vote against everything they represented and said no :D

    Seriously, if you know so little about something avoid debating it.

    Firstly, re Scotland joining the EU, of course the bloody EU would say that. They wanted to avoid brexit duh. This was during the campaign. Switch your fecking brain on.

    Ireland's economy is almost exactly the same as Scotland, with a smaller population. If you include oil, Scotland is about 10% higher. The difference the oil makes is modest,but it's all everyone talks about. The growth in the Irish economy over the past ten years massively outperforms the uk. Of course the crash was bad but absolutely nothing to do with the euro. No idea where you get that **** from. It originated in the US ffs.

    What actually is important that the Irish people can vote for the government they want and hold them accountable. But like the original referendum, everyone gets stuck on the same moronic **** you just trotted out. Cos you know, actually learning the accurate facts Is a bit of a bore


    Iffy - You have no clue what da hell you are talking about.. I'm not Scottish but you are a typical English kid who read about the Brexit and Scottish independence in the Daily Sport FS..

    Iffy - Your a fool

    Irony here?

    You're not Scottish....and judging by your grammar and spelling, you're not from any part of Britain.

    I didn't need to read about Brexit from any forms of media....i'm capable of making my own decisions based off my own beliefs, which is why I voted to leave the European Union.

    The problem individuals like yourself have is that...

    1. You're commenting on something you clearly know nothing about, as all my posts have been relevant and actually haven't been for or against the Scots holding another referendum.
    2. You don't actually contribute to a 'discussion', labelling someone a 'fool' isn't what someone with a respectable opinion would do.
    3. You're blinded by your hatred for me, that you clearly cannot form a rational argument yourself.


    I actually have no hatred for you at all.

    I am writing on a forum so my grammar suits the context I am writing too. It's funny the last resort people attack so peoples grammar or spelling mistakes..

    Please research before spouting pure crap which you clearly no nothing about other than 'your beliefs'

    Please enlighten us why you voted to leave the EU?

    Why did i vote to leave the E.U.?

    Because it was the right decision for me.....

    I didn't attack your grammar, i was using it to explain how someone who clearly doesn't have English as their first language, can even offer an opinion on this subject.

    Lets move on from the grammar aspect, shall we?

    I am very interested in your beliefs about leaving the EU and please explain why it was the right decision for you. What was the most compelling argument why you voted leave?



    I voted leave so that the U.K could gain its 'independance'.

    That is what is so strange about the Scotland debacle. They claim they want independance....but they're looking to jump straight back into bed with the E.U.

    Its spelt - independence

    Irony - a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other’s false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony

    And I'm Done.. thank you and good night

    Long runs the fox kiddo

    I love it!!!

    Knew it'd work!!

    Did you? hahahhahaha

    Stick to playing to Fifa and leave the big boy conversations to people who actually know what they are talking about



    Are you British?

    relevance??

    I have dual nationality
Sign In or Register to comment.