The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

What's so good about Jose Mourinho's style that makes some of you think he's the best manager?

13456
RichieDaSavage
1747 posts Play-Off Hero
The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

Comments

  • Sellish
    9924 posts Has That Special Something
    I hate his guts, hate him so much. He has such a boring playstyle. But, his record proves that he is one of the best. No doubt.

    But I rather see fun football without trophies honestly.
    (Here comes the Young + Fellaini jokes)
  • He's had success everywhere he's gone, not many can say that.
  • PTYBROZZ
    724 posts Sunday League Hero
    He wins titles?
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sellish wrote: »
    I hate his guts, hate him so much. He has such a boring playstyle. But, his record proves that he is one of the best. No doubt.

    But I rather see fun football without trophies honestly.
    (Here comes the Young + Fellaini jokes)
    I know he has a brilliant record and of course he's on of the best but I don't think he's done enough to stand out from managers like Ancelotti, Diego Simione, Van Gaal and Pep Guardiola.
  • The art of defending.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    I know he wins titles and has brought a lot of success to clubs like even Inter Milan and Porto but I don't think he has plays with a style that makes him stand out from other managers.
  • DieWölfe14
    1814 posts Play-Off Hero
    The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

    Portuguese Tony Pulis except he has better players and better finances to work with
  • SaifR
    12842 posts Has That Special Something
    PTYBROZZ wrote: »
    He wins titles?

  • Blue_Blood
    266 posts Sunday League Hero
    Sellish wrote: »
    I hate his guts, hate him so much. He has such a boring playstyle. But, his record proves that he is one of the best. No doubt.

    But I rather see fun football without trophies honestly.
    (Here comes the Young + Fellaini jokes)
    I know he has a brilliant record and of course he's on of the best but I don't think he's done enough to stand out from managers like Ancelotti, Diego Simione, Van Gaal and Pep Guardiola.
    Lol are you serious?

  • You're just defining 'best' by who plays attacking football.
  • phep
    1294 posts Professional
    I disagree with the philosophy of defending as a football fan, but there are two indisputable facts in football to back him up. You can score 6 and still lose, but if you concede none you can't.
  • The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

    Portuguese Tony Pulis except he has better players and better finances to work with

    We had Tony Pulis for seven years and I can confirm you're talking rubbish.
  • hoban95
    50881 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Sellish wrote: »
    I hate his guts, hate him so much. He has such a boring playstyle. But, his record proves that he is one of the best. No doubt.

    But I rather see fun football without trophies honestly.
    (Here comes the Young + Fellaini jokes)
    I know he has a brilliant record and of course he's on of the best but I don't think he's done enough to stand out from managers like Ancelotti, Diego Simione, Van Gaal and Pep Guardiola.

    Lost for words
  • hoban95
    50881 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    edited May 2015
    It baffles me how some really struggle to grasp what makes Jose so good. He doesn't just throw men behind the ball and hope for the best. This isn't fifa.
  • Monkey
    8350 posts League Winner
    cc313428768c8a6f8a78f44555d36441.png

    He wins
  • hoban95 wrote: »
    It baffles me how some really struggle to grasp what makes Jose so good. He doesn't just throw men behind the ball and hope for the best. This isn't fifa.

    Yeah he does, I saw a meme about it!

  • hoban95
    50881 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    hoban95 wrote: »
    It baffles me how some really struggle to grasp what makes Jose so good. He doesn't just throw men behind the ball and hope for the best. This isn't fifa.

    Yeah he does, I saw a meme about it!

    Hahaha
  • orly
    15 posts Ball Boy
    edited May 2015
    I don't think anyone likes his style these days. It's boring. His teams used to play very entertaining football, especially Porto and Chelsea (1st time there). He changed after managing Inter. Real still scored a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ of goals tho.
  • DieWölfe14
    1814 posts Play-Off Hero
    The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

    Portuguese Tony Pulis except he has better players and better finances to work with

    We had Tony Pulis for seven years and I can confirm you're talking rubbish.

    Very similar. Good team shape , defensive, hard to beat and gets the best out of there players . Only stand out difference is mourinho is lucky enough to have a world beater like Hazard and more finical backing. Take it you didn't go to many stoke games

  • The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

    Portuguese Tony Pulis except he has better players and better finances to work with

    We had Tony Pulis for seven years and I can confirm you're talking rubbish.

    Very similar. Good team shape , defensive, hard to beat and gets the best out of there players . Only stand out difference is mourinho is lucky enough to have a world beater like Hazard and more finical backing. Take it you didn't go to many stoke games

    Nah, only had a season ticket for 5 of the 7 years.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    People say he's the best manager in the world because he wins titles. You may not like his style but it works. CL with Inter and Porto isn't an easy task, and it was definitely not because he had world class players.
  • PTYBROZZ
    724 posts Sunday League Hero
    You're just defining 'best' by who plays attacking football.
    This. Elite managers are not the ones who score 5 goals every match, are the ones who study their opponents, adjust their teams depending on their opposition and know when to attack and when to defend. Real football is not like fifa, you cant start evey single match playing high pressure and ultra attacking.

  • hoban95
    50881 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

    Portuguese Tony Pulis except he has better players and better finances to work with

    We had Tony Pulis for seven years and I can confirm you're talking rubbish.

    Very similar. Good team shape , defensive, hard to beat and gets the best out of there players . Only stand out difference is mourinho is lucky enough to have a world beater like Hazard and more finical backing. Take it you didn't go to many stoke games

    Unbelievable... :joy:
  • DieWölfe14
    1814 posts Play-Off Hero
    The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

    Portuguese Tony Pulis except he has better players and better finances to work with

    We had Tony Pulis for seven years and I can confirm you're talking rubbish.

    Very similar. Good team shape , defensive, hard to beat and gets the best out of there players . Only stand out difference is mourinho is lucky enough to have a world beater like Hazard and more finical backing. Take it you didn't go to many stoke games

    Nah, only had a season ticket for 5 of the 7 years.

    Ok, Explain for me the differences in there styles.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    I know that playing the best attacking football does not make you the best or else Wenger would have a lot more respect than he gets today. But he sets a up his players in a very defensive system with world class players which I think leads to Chelsea being a lot more solid than a lot of sides and it gets the job done but how does that make him stand out from the rest when he's doing things the easiest way possible.
  • The reason I ask this is because so many say that Mourinho is the best manager in the BPL or even in Europe but he plays quite a defensive system with his full backs being very defensive and wingers who also have to do a lot of defensive work and he has to depend on world class players to win him games, more than the style of play the team uses going forward. Also, after Chelsea go 1 or 2 goals up even at home, he decides to bring on Mikel as an extra cdm or Zouma to play in a back three which shows he's determined to win at all costs but he is not brave enough to win games playing the football Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern play which makes them really stand out from the rest.

    Portuguese Tony Pulis except he has better players and better finances to work with

    We had Tony Pulis for seven years and I can confirm you're talking rubbish.

    Very similar. Good team shape , defensive, hard to beat and gets the best out of there players . Only stand out difference is mourinho is lucky enough to have a world beater like Hazard and more finical backing. Take it you didn't go to many stoke games

    Nah, only had a season ticket for 5 of the 7 years.

    Ok, Explain for me the differences in there styles.

    I'm sure you'll work it out for yourself soon youth.

  • CFCsjmishra
    8937 posts League Winner
    He knows how to win.
  • Dan_AFC90
    1431 posts Play-Off Hero
    Have respect for him but would love to see him revamp a team in a top league, bring in youth and leave it in a much better position than it was in when he joined (Similar to SAF and Wenger)
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    hoban95 wrote: »
    It baffles me how some really struggle to grasp what makes Jose so good. He doesn't just throw men behind the ball and hope for the best. This isn't fifa.
    Winning the easiest way possible despite spending to get the best squad does not make you the best, why can't you understand that? :/
  • hoban95
    50881 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    I know that playing the best attacking football does not make you the best or else Wenger would have a lot more respect than he gets today. But he sets a up his players in a very defensive system with world class players which I think leads to Chelsea being a lot more solid than a lot of sides and it gets the job done but how does that make him stand out from the rest when he's doing things the easiest way possible.

    I cannot express how ignorant you are being.

    "The easiest way possible."

    I think you should go into management, you've clearly got a talent for this.

Sign In or Register to comment.