Dads that FIFA

B16Lad
522 posts An Exciting Prospect
I'm due to be a dad in the very near future and the closer the due date gets the more I find myself thinking about the important things in life, such as will I be able to continue playing FIFA! Spoke to a couple of mates that play video games and I got mixed responses, one thought his playing time went up when his child was newly born and the other has barely touched FIFA since.

Just wondered how many FIFA Dads here get time to play and what sorta qty of games you can get through per week

Comments

• LeonidasJB
    14907 posts World Class
    I wait for my boy to go to bed generally then I am on the Xbox til my bed time. Occasionally if he is watching a film with his Mum or he is happily playing away, I might jump on in the afternoon for a couple of hrs.
    I don't play it if she is out and it's just me with him.
  • SK1991
    576 posts An Exciting Prospect
    honestly... i play 30-40 games a week. that doubles if in im WL. il play through the week when kids in bed and fri, sat, sun r free roamers lol.
  • Daveofwales01
    8141 posts League Winner
    Got 2 sons and my play time has gone down a bit but not as much as I thought it would, the invention of remote play has helped with it a bit too, my vita was a God send when they were still young and now the xbox app helps me cope when they are both watching YouTube videos by squeaky voiced noise monkeys. When they want to interact with me I knock it off and play while they are in bed or out with their mum.
  • SK1991
    576 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Got 2 sons and my play time has gone down a bit but not as much as I thought it would, the invention of remote play has helped with it a bit too, my vita was a God send when they were still young and now the xbox app helps me cope when they are both watching YouTube videos by squeaky voiced noise monkeys. When they want to interact with me I knock it off and play while they are in bed or out with their mum.

For this reason alone we bought ours kindles and headphones for xmas lol.
  • fett2500
    701 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 2017
    I started FIFA because of my son. :-). (He turns 10 next Tuesday).
    But, for the first few years he was around, I rarely ever had time/energy to play much of any video games. I pretty much took a 5 year Hiatus form them for several reasons. Until on his 6th B'day Santa bought him an XBox. ;-)
    I now play more than he does. I play now 2 or three times a week after everyone goes down, for an hour or 2 usually around 9 or 10 PM. Occasionally on Weekends before everyone gets up.
    BTW, Congrats on being a Dad.
  • JimmyVulmer
    6118 posts Big Money Move
  • Jambolad
    112 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I've got a 7 yo and 1 yo... got back in to FIFA because of my 7 yo and he doesn't play a lot. I manage a couple of games a night and then usually get a good couple of hours one weekend night however I suppose it depends how much you want to annoy your missus.... or how much you would prefer to go to bed earlier as some thing are better than FIFA
  • DoD_Jester
    26196 posts Player of the Year
    My 3 year old bever slept as a baby so I tended to plonk her on my knee when she was grouchy and id play xbox or put her in the moses baslet thingy next to me

Now she's 3 I can usually get a few hours in after work before I pick her up from nursery and play from 7:30 ish til I can't be bothered any more
  • Summer69
    1215 posts Professional
    when they are first born I would say playing goes down massively, you cant really play online if at any point they might cry as you run out of pauses pretty quickly. I would imagine when they actually start to sleep you can get more game time but I haven't reached that stage yet as mine is only 3 months old.
  • Stordy
    1458 posts Play-Off Hero
    I FIFA mainly when the kids are in bed during the week, Weekends is dependant on what family activities are planned.
    During the new baby months I played alot as the lil un sleep all the time.
  • Reece Tha BEAST
    17021 posts World Class
    Just prioritize right, get what you need to get done, and when the kids go to sleep that's the time to get some games in. I don't get many in, but it is what it is.
  • Jambolad
    112 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Summer69 wrote: »
    when they are first born I would say playing goes down massively, you cant really play online if at any point they might cry as you run out of pauses pretty quickly. I would imagine when they actually start to sleep you can get more game time but I haven't reached that stage yet as mine is only 3 months old.

Totally agree. My wee one got in to a good sleeping pattern at around 4/5 months and since then I always steal a few games when he naps and the wife's out between 6-7 then he settle
    For the night around 8/9 and dependant on bravery against the wife I'll fire in a few more
  • mihain247
    1279 posts Professional
    I am a father and still playing, but make sure you keep you priorities straight!
  • hoban95
    47936 posts FIFA Cover Star
    My mate is more interested in mums that fifa.

@CornishLad
  • Primal
    4075 posts National Call-Up
    Got a 4 week old and end up playing it when shes asleep however most the time im that nakered i cba
  • randomhero1090
    5627 posts Big Money Move
    Not sure about the ages of all here, but it seems like i'm one of the older guys at 36 :smile: I got a 7 year old boy and 10 year old girl.

Having gone through it all... first... don't give up the things you love. I golf. I smoke cigars. Not really kid friendly things. But I tweak my schedule to make it work. I play golf very early in the morning. I go on 1 guys golf trip per year. I smoke cigars outside when the kids are playing outside OR when i'm golfing. You get it. You just make it work. All about balance.

I play video games with both of my kids. I'll even do some of that Just Dance stuff with my daugther. My son LOVES games, so it's fun bonding (Rocket League, Minecraft, FIFA). He's also really into, and good at, Titanfall 2. I have fun watching him play. And honestly, if you watch the amount of time your kids play, I think it's good for them. The hand/eye coordination and problem solving I think has helped my son in school. He's in 1st grade reading at a 3rd/4th grade level.

You'll make it all work. Having children teaches you time management :smiley:

Best of luck to you and your family.
  • YOLOT0URE
    6831 posts Big Money Move
    Got a 1 yo and it definitely goes down, but time with your kid is far more important than FIFA. Especially when you and your partner are both in work. Outside of work it's childcare and the occasional time you get time together you can't exactly be playing FIFA lol wouldn't change it though. Hence why I think it's hilarious when people dedicate their weekend to FIFA. Family and friends arw far more important
  • Agent VZ
    29162 posts Player of the Year
  • KingLionel10
    14941 posts World Class
    Got a 9 year old and a 5 year old, I just wait until they go to bed.
  • SomeMightSay
    272 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited March 2017

Jimmy has been in parties with me when all hell breaks loose when my 2 are fighting and I am fifa raging. I have an 8 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. They do crave attention sometimes and normally I just turn the xbox off if they are (always after I finish the match though) Its very difficult to complete all 40 games of the wl

It all depends on wether your girlfriend/ wife likes the xbox, because my wife **** hates it. I could not play it for 2 weeks solid and as soon as I turn it on it ''your never off that thing''

I generally play late at night when they are in bed and early on the weekend mornings when the house is sorted and stuff.

Last year I took a 4 month hiatus to get my cpd and **** sorted for work.

edited: writing this in between designing a very complex concrete frame structure
    Post edited by SomeMightSay on
  • CornishLad
    23492 posts Club Captain
    hoban95 wrote: »

@CornishLad

I would be interested in most females that fifa, I'm not picky :joy:
  • HeroBent
    4591 posts National Call-Up
    Agent VZ wrote: »

O Yeah. Just play whenever the small buggers are in bed. Already started to play FIFA H2H against the 6 yr old....
  • DoD_Jester
    26196 posts Player of the Year

Jimmy has been in parties with me when all hell breaks loose when my 2 are fighting and I am fifa raging. I have an 8 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. The do crave attention sometimes and normally I just turn the xbox off if they are (always after I finish the match though) Its very difficult to complete all 40 games of the wl

It all depends on wether your girlfriend/ wife likes the xbox, because my wife **** hates it. I could not play it for 2 weeks solid and as soon as I turn it on it ''your never off that thing''

I generally play late at night when they are in bed and early on the weekend mornings when the house is sorted and stuff.

Last year I took a 4 month hiatus not get my cpd and **** sorted for work.

Trust me mate I know the feeling
  • pittphan
    3017 posts National Call-Up
    fett2500 wrote: »
    I started FIFA because of my son. :-). (He turns 10 next Tuesday).
    But, for the first few years he was around, I rarely ever had time/energy to play much of any video games. I pretty much took a 5 year Hiatus form them for several reasons. Until on his 6th B'day Santa bought him an XBox. ;-)
    I now play more than he does. I play now 2 or three times a week after everyone goes down, for an hour or 2 usually around 9 or 10 PM. Occasionally on Weekends before everyone gets up.
    BTW, Congrats on being a Dad.

congrats bro on your son turning 10. My son turned 10 2 weeks ago and after his birthday party we let him have 6 of his friends sleep over.... that seven 9/10 year old!!! Never again.... but he enjoyed it so it was worth it i suppose. I'll tell you, trying to play WL with 7 little kids running around your house going nuts, is not an easy task.
  • tauras
    3630 posts National Call-Up
    Usually get to play after bed time or during school hours if I've a day off work but not that much overall 10-15 games a week average :(.
  • DirtyDishFC
    11023 posts Moderator
    I play between 40-60 games a week. You'll probably be able to make time at night and actually my better half loved it cause when the aby wakes up you can do your dad thing and play some Fifa. Especially on the weekends and she gets to rest while you can play after dad requirements. Just dont take WL or anything too seriously because you'll have to quit mid game sometimes
  • Rickmord
    501 posts An Exciting Prospect
    As I'm a little older than most on here (37 next month) with a 15 yr old lad and 2 yr old girl I can say that it's easy enough to find time when she in bed at 7 the lad prefers rocket league cod titanfall etc but after getting gold for the month my wife has politely requested that weekend league be not competed in anymore as it just takes too much time so it's the wife not the kids who have stopped me lol
  • hoban95
    47936 posts FIFA Cover Star
    CornishLad wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »

@CornishLad

I would be interested in most females that fifa, I'm not picky :joy:

:joy:
  • jdros
    2536 posts Fans' Favourite
    When my kids were really little I didn't play many games. They are both around 10 now and I play more, plus play with them.
  • B16Lad
    522 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Wow wasn't expecting this much feedback! Glad to hear it doesn't come to an end completely.

Currently my struggle with FIFA is fitting in a time when her mood is acceptable enough to get a few games in! So far this year I don't think I've played more than 25 games of a WL, so it sounds like I'll be lucky to get 10 in. It's a shame they can't do Week League instead (would help the weekend workers too)