The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

OT - Star Wars Geeks

Baznotsobad76
5063 posts Big Money Move
My godson is 7 years old and has never seen Star Wars..... So I now have the opportunity to introduce him to the films and blow his mind....

My dilemma is this... In which order should I show him the films?.

Comments

• pudgyfudgy
    6137 posts Big Money Move
    Haha at 7 years old I think he'll be more impressed by the graphics and action instead of the plot and intricate characters. In spite of the purist in me... I think you have a higher chance of retaining his attention if you show him 1, 2 and 3 first.
  • Kobic
    117 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII...start with the OT and use the prequels as a flashback between Empire and Jedi.
  • Thedudeabides
    2221 posts Fans' Favourite
    Rogue one,Star Wars,empire, jedi, force awakens....these are the only Star Wars films ever made....never heard of episode 1-3...
  • GeezR81
    1106 posts Professional
    I've got a 7 year old son and I've tried to introduce him to the star wars galaxy coz it was such an epic thing for me when I was younger, the movies, toys, games. Even took him to the cinema to see the force awakens but the little bugger is not interested at all in anything to do with star wars, reckons it's boring. Kids these days hmmmf!
  • Earendil
    93 posts Park Captain
    Old fashioned way (i prefer this one): Release Order – Watch the films in the order they came out: Original Trilogy (episodes IV-VI) - Prequels (episodes I-III).

Episode Order – starting from Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Finishing with Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

The Prequels as Flashback Order: begin with the Original Trilogy and watch Episode IV, 'A New Hope' followed by Episode V, 'The Empire Strikes Back'. But instead of watching Return of the Jedi, you hold off and instead watch the three Prequels. Only after you have finished the prequels do you watch Return of the Jedi.
  • Baznotsobad76
    5063 posts Big Money Move
    I like the idea of showing them in episode order.... But starting with The Phantom Menace?... Really?..... That seems like the worst introduction in the world for me, but a child might like it...... Episode order would also ruin the reveal at the end of the original Star Wars too...
    Darth Vader is Lukes dad!!!!!!
  • hayhor1
    15077 posts World Class
    I like the idea of showing them in episode order.... But starting with The Phantom Menace?... Really?..... That seems like the worst introduction in the world for me, but a child might like it...... Episode order would also ruin the reveal at the end of the original Star Wars too...
    Darth Vader is Lukes dad!!!!!!

Good with the order 1 thru 7. Because he is 7 he will enjoy jarjar and young anakin. I have kids a similar age and introduced them a little earlier and they love star wars now. If rogue one is out before you get to 4 watch it between 3 and 4.
  • romanceintx
    361 posts Sunday League Hero
    Rogue one,Star Wars,empire, jedi, force awakens....these are the only Star Wars films ever made....never heard of episode 1-3...

My boy's 7 and girl's 9. We GEEKED hard on how the final clip of "Rogue One" was the opening clip of Episode IV "A New Hope" (the original). I would totally go in that order. The whole trying to explain Palpatine and Darth Siduous and Jango Fett. . . and no Han Solo, or Chewbacca . . .

Rogue One, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back (the best of them all), Return of The Jedi. . then all the cartoons (I,II,III)

Well played sir. I second that motion.
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4101 posts National Call-Up
    get the jar jar ones out of the way first B)
  • Clancy
    7761 posts League Winner
    I am a huuuge star wars fan, loved the books before Disney threw them all away. must have read 200+ novels and even had what were essentially star wars textbooks that I would study (called essential guides to the universe)

the OT is obviously better for us adults, but I'll tell ya I went to episode 1 for my first grade bday party (age 7) and absolutely loved it. I had already seen the OT but for a 7 year old phantom menace was dope

by the time episode 3 came out and I was 13 I could tell how terrible it was. but phantom menace is still good to me cause I saw it so young

so I would suggest showing him the first 3 eps before he ages into cynicism. they're good through a child's eye's
  • hayhor1
    15077 posts World Class
    Clancy wrote: »
    I am a huuuge star wars fan, loved the books before Disney threw them all away. must have read 200+ novels and even had what were essentially star wars textbooks that I would study (called essential guides to the universe)

the OT is obviously better for us adults, but I'll tell ya I went to episode 1 for my first grade bday party (age 7) and absolutely loved it. I had already seen the OT but for a 7 year old phantom menace was dope

by the time episode 3 came out and I was 13 I could tell how terrible it was. but phantom menace is still good to me cause I saw it so young

so I would suggest showing him the first 3 eps before he ages into cynicism. they're good through a child's eye's

I have only recently started reading the books. So far I have read the following-

Darth Plagueis
    Yoda Dark Rendezvous
    Lords of the Sith - This is a must for any Vader/Emporer person
    The Thawn Trilogy
    The Dark Load Trilogy - This tells the story before Episode 3 which is great

I have loved all of them.

@Clancy What should I go for next?
  • Clancy
    7761 posts League Winner
    hayhor1 wrote: »

I have only recently started reading the books. So far I have read the following-

Darth Plagueis
    Yoda Dark Rendezvous
    The Thawn Trilogy

The Thrawn trilogy was awesome, loved that.

I highly recommend the X-Wing series, there's like 10 books. Def my favorite series back in the day

Another great book is tales of the bounty hunters. Follows each of the bounty hunters that was on the star destroyer in empire strikes back. Awesome one off

If u like the older sith stuff there's a trilogy about Darth Bane (the og sith Lord) was pretty good
  • Poolstu123
    774 posts Semi-Pro
    Did anyone else know that c3po wasn't completely gold? I never realised it had a silver leg?? Sure my action figure decades ago was completely gold .. apparently not lol
  • hayhor1
    15077 posts World Class
    hayhor1 wrote: »

Darth Plagueis
    Yoda Dark Rendezvous
    The Thawn Trilogy

The Thrawn trilogy was awesome, loved that.

I highly recommend the X-Wing series, there's like 10 books. Def my favorite series back in the day

Another great book is tales of the bounty hunters. Follows each of the bounty hunters that was on the star destroyer in empire strikes back. Awesome one off

If u like the older sith stuff there's a trilogy about Darth Bane (the og sith Lord) was pretty good

Thanks man
  • SuperSonicSean
    6152 posts Big Money Move
    I'm having this dilemma with my girlfriend whom has never seen Star Wars either. I'm thinking about going with the Machete Order: IV, V, II, III, VI, VII. If she really likes the series, I may throw Episode I in there between V and II. It's so hard though. I feel like no other series has this problem.
    Ideally I'd like to go in chronological order, but Episode I is just a bad place to start (even the best lightsaber duel in the entire saga and Liam Neeson can't redeem it), and I'd argue that II is the worst film with its forced awkward love story being a central part of the story.
    I love SW, but I really hate it sometimes too. It's so difficult to introduce to newcomers.